PDA

View Full Version : Zoro's request for critique

Zoro
03-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Hey there, I'm new here. I'm trying to create a manga of my own. My art is not very good in my eyes, at least (since it is not satisfying me) and I am looking to improve. I do not have a lot of work to show so I will start off with this:
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/03/Zoro-scan0002-5.jpg?t=4f5fbe410dba4

My first request is to know how I can improve the way I draw hands. I am currently taking one step at a time to improve my art, starting with hands. I will post more stuff as I go on. Also, in the last hand pose the thumb is pretty off. I noticed that pretty late. :D

Edit: might be stupid, but noticed that the forum name I have doesn't match the thread and I can't delete it or change the name. If it's not much trouble, would any of the moderators rename the thread to Zoro's request for critique?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Chuchu
03-13-2012, 05:59 PM
If I'm not mistaken you can edit the title yourself my clicking the edit button on your first post and going to advanced, I'll check...

I'm no good with hands, but you're on the right track. I draw at least ten hands in different positions a day for improvement. The best advice I can offer is pretty cliche but: practice and observe.

corastaur
03-13-2012, 06:01 PM
hey zoro ma man :) First of all you can rename your thread by going back to the list of all the threads in the critique corner and double clicking by your thread's name. It's kind of confusing, but that's one way you do it. Also really liking the hands, I need to do some hand studies since this is definitely something I struggle with. A few things stand out to me:

The first is that it looks like there are some issues with foreshortening in the hands that are clawing down. (three in the middle area.) Judging by how great some of the poses are (the reaching one on the left stands out to me) i'm going to assume that you're using reference? If you are try mimicking these poses again using a mirror and compare your hand with the drawing. That should help you to fix some of the issues (most of it is finger length and placement of joints/knuckles).

The only other thing I'll say for now is pay attention to the length of the fingers in relation to the palm. I heard once that the middle finger is about the same size as the palm. I checked it on myself and even though apparently mine isn't exactly, it's pretty close. If you keep that in mind it should help you regulate how long the fingers are in different poses. Altogether it looks pretty good, can't wait to see the future steps in your drawing learning process! :D - Hope all of that made sense...

Gedeon
03-13-2012, 06:07 PM
I agree with cora and i would add one thing to what she mentioned on the lengths of fingers. Watch out for the thumbs, those buggers are long enough to just about reach the second joint of the index finger. Also would mind telling me from what country you are?

Zoro
03-14-2012, 03:55 AM
Thanks a lot. I will do my best to follow your advice. I am using my hand for reference on some of the harder poses. It really does help but it's not easy twisting my hand so I can look at it xD Never thought of a mirror though, so that's a very good idea :D.
Also, I'm from Bulgaria.

Zoro
03-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Not sure If I should do a double post but here goes:
This is one of the later characters for my manga but it's quickly becoming one of my favourite ones. I see a lot of things that are off after I scanned it but please help me improve him. Thanks :D
http://www.mangatutorials.com/file/pic/photo/2012/03/Zoro-scan0004-6.jpg?t=4f60cbcf176a6