PDA

View Full Version : Movie Thread.

ClockHand
01-14-2011, 01:49 AM
So I move the movie thread to the new forum, so we can keep going in here (this thread is to talk about movies).

Well I found that the director of the Green Hornet is Michel Gondry, so now I'm exited by the Green Hornet, and I have read good critics about the movie to (not amazing, but good).

For people who doesn't know who is Michel Gondry, he is a film director who did Eternal Sunshine of a Spottles Mind, Un Natural Love (a episode of Flight of the Conchords), Tokyo!, Pecan Pie and music video clips and documentaries.

jubeh
01-14-2011, 02:15 AM
Hey I watched inception. What didnt you like about it again clock.

ClockHand
01-14-2011, 02:51 AM
Let me remember.

Well I didn't like the lack of deepness in the character (no background story of the other characters, no explanation of interest and goals, etc), a lot of accion that didn't make sense, a main story layered by a egocentric story, and bad narration.

I don't remember EVERYTHING but I think this is mostly what I dislike about the movie.

Now the movie is not bad like The Expendables, but neither is amazing as many mini Nolan fans are screaming. The movie is ok, but its die when you think (and its supposed to be an accion film with more phylosophycal implications. Failing in this, because if you think a little the movie fells down).

jubeh
01-14-2011, 04:28 AM
I thought it was a neat little heist movie. You are right about the side characters motivations and whatnot, and the whole ex-wife thing I thought was dragged on far too much. Whenever a movie dangles a carrot in front of me like that I tend to just get sick of it.

Though it kind of reminded me of the freshness of the original matrix movie, though not as elegant. I need to watch it again before I make my final judgement.

Hayashida
01-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Does anyone know anything about a film coming out this year by Richard Ayoade called Submarine?

jubeh
01-14-2011, 05:37 PM
No but is that the dude from the IT crowd?

Seiko
01-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Yeah it is

ClockHand
01-14-2011, 05:53 PM
I know anything about the film. I only know what you just said (the guy of IT crowd made a film named submarine for the 2010).

Evil_Cake
01-14-2011, 09:47 PM
anyone seen Trapped in Paradise

ClockHand
01-15-2011, 12:06 AM
I did. Actually I saw it in december of the 2010.

ClockHand
01-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Who saw the Golden Globes? Who jeez when Robert Deniro winning the Cecil B. DeMille Award. And Steve Bucsemi winning to best tv actor? xD

http://www.goldenglobes.org/nominations/

Byakuran
01-18-2011, 05:32 PM
i didn't see it but,, i heard bout it in the news. Black Swan women won best actrice, right?

also everyone should watch ' Mulan ' i pity da foo that can't sing ' I'll Make a Man out of You~! '

Hell_Baron
01-21-2011, 05:16 AM
Falling Down is still one of my all time favs.

Here's the reason why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8HOaB1fOqA

MOST. EPIC. SCENE. EVER.

Afrobit
01-22-2011, 01:28 AM
Inception had lots of eye-candy for a girl to oogle at.<3 I love the movie! I didn't like Nolan's Batman work, but the movie made up for it.
I love the meme that came from it. :U

Did anyone else cry during Toy Story 3? It's just speaks to the heart. Pixar is making movies that now produce waterworks from the audience.

Evil_Cake
01-22-2011, 01:56 AM
Did anyone else cry during Toy Story 3?I watched it at a friend's house on new years and his mom cried a few times

Blue_Dragon
01-24-2011, 03:58 AM
I just saw Gangs of New York for the first time. It was pretty good (I know, it's old now.)

I actually liked There Will Be Blood better, though. Best scene EVER! :) :

Major Spoiler--Do Not Watch if you don't want the movie spoiled, this is an important scene. Also a violence warning, if there are kids here (just covering my bases.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsQcS0zr4tM&feature=related

This is the best quality I could find with the beginning of the speech in it. The rest just started at the "I drink your milkshake" part.

jubeh
01-24-2011, 04:00 AM
There will be blood is probably my favorite movie.

I liked gangs of new york though not many people did. Though when I say that what I really mean is that daniel day lewis's performance was ridiculously good.

Sconethief
01-26-2011, 01:17 AM
I just watched sky captain and the world of tomorrow again, It was pretty good.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
01-27-2011, 02:15 PM
When it comes to horror movies, the best one I have seen for a LOOOOOOOONG time is a little known French movie called Martyrs. It is so fucking good, and achieves everything a horror should achieve.

It is a film that isn't afraid to focus on darkness to the degree where you just become absorbed in it, but are still disgusted by it. The film contains much violence and much torture, but it isn't Hostel and it isn't I Spit On Your Grave, it is a brilliantly written and directed film, so brave in its ambition, that it would not even be considered to be made in the US or UK. It sounds really naff, but you can't help but feel something while watching it. What that feeling is really depends on you.

It stays with you too. I know thats a shitty cliche that film critics say about all horror movies, but this one actually does, not least for the utterly brilliant ambigeous ending. It is the only movie I can remember watching where after watching it I thought to myself 'That was truly original.'

I had heard nothing about this movie before I watched it, just picked it up in the World Cinema section of HMV for a tenner. Thats the best 10 I've spent for years.

Seriously, if you like horror, are interested in very dark movies that explore avenues that most dare not, don't mind reading subtitles (assuming you don't speak French), then I can not recommend this movie enough.

Just to give you a snippet, here is a scene from the first 5-10 minutes of the movie.

WARNING: Contains strong graphic violence, so everyone should watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhex5wxQA14

And the plot thickens from then on. Seriously, get down the movie store, get on to amazon, buy/order this movie.

Hayashida
01-27-2011, 03:13 PM
HoS, you might be interested in a film called 13 Tzameti. It's this great French film about Russian roulette. Just make sure you see the original and not the remake, cuz apparently they re-made it in colour which I think takes a lot of the edge off it.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
01-27-2011, 04:04 PM
I've got 13 Tzameti on DVD. Saw as a trailer on Switchblade Romance. Good movie. Good movie.

Hayashida
01-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Good man.

ClockHand
02-04-2011, 12:34 AM
So I finally could watch It's kind of a funny story. At the end I don't recommend this movie, it has its moments and some good jokes but overally is bad.

Reasons why someone would want to watch this movies: Emma Roberts (she is hot) and Zach Galifianakis. Jim Gaffigan also acts in this movie, but its not important.

In IMDB is rated with a 7,2. I gave it a 6,2 (at most).

Shinyy
02-05-2011, 09:13 AM
I watched No string attached over green hornet. I like romantic comedies, they are too funny. I haven't seen a Ashton Kutcher film in a min.

PWhit
02-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Not t drive it too far off-topic, but did anyone see Sanctum yet? It's not too bad in my opinion and I gave it a 8/10 in my head.

Rio
02-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Went and watched Season of the Witch last weekend. It's okay. It's better to wait for the DVD.

ClockHand
02-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Nicolas Cage = Fail

Don't missunder stand this. Nicolas Cage was a great actor, but he work in shitty movies these days.

I will always going to remember Raising Arizona (good times of nicolas cage).

PWhit
02-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Nicolas Cage was a great actor, but he work in shitty movies these days.

The truth has been spoken.

Blue_Dragon
02-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Last week Marc took me to see The King's Speech. I really liked it. I like period films (maybe I've said that before,) and this was set just pre-WWII. Plus it had a lot of great English actors. The dude who played Dumbledore had a role, I think the main character (the King) was also Jack in the 1990s version of The Importance of Being Earnest with Hugh Grant. And Tim Burton's wife (I'm terrible with names! Geez....)

Hayashida
02-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Yeah I wanted to watch the Kings Speech. I don't think it's still playing in theatres though.

Blue_Dragon
02-07-2011, 04:25 AM
It's a goodun', better rent it when it comes out :P

Tonight saw Guy Richie's Revolver for the first time. It was pretty weird, but good. And Andre Benjamin is hot! Plus, he's a vegetarian, which makes him even hotter.

Speaking of re"volver", did anyone see Volver with Penelope Cruz? It's a good film, too (not new new, but not old to my knowledge.)

ClockHand
02-10-2011, 12:16 AM
How being vegetarian make you hotter?

Also, I haven't watch Volver, but I know is pretty damn good (Penelope Cruz is hot, and Pedro Almod&#243;var is a great director... a little to much in the woman-drama movie, but he is good).

Also, teaser of Captain America.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2993723929/

Hayashida
02-10-2011, 12:51 AM
Can I just say that I don't eat anything with a face
ladies?

Delphinus
02-10-2011, 09:11 AM
I guess being a vegetarian makes you hotter if it emphasises your gentle, loyal, sensitive (nervous, obsessive, hysteric) qualities as a guy. Some girls really like nice (creepy) guys, you know. But on the other hand domineering and powerful (sadistic and violent) men also seem to have a large fanbase. I wonder why that is... (You're all fucking masochists.)

Speaking of which, has anyone seen Heathers, which is pretty old but really good? And likewise, has anyone seen Ichi The Killer? I haven't seen that one, but it looked good as a sadistic torture flick.

Hayashida
02-10-2011, 04:56 PM
I've been wanting to see Ichi The Killer for a while now but i've never gotten around to it.

PWhit
02-10-2011, 09:29 PM
I know this is semi-off-topic, but who here has heard of the nostalgia critic? I was recently watching The Theif and the Cobbler Recobbled Cut and I loved the animation in it. It just had a bad story at a bad time IMO.

ClockHand
02-14-2011, 03:32 PM
So after watching Xmen: First Class, Captain America and Thor trailers, which one is better according to you?

Zoe
02-14-2011, 10:07 PM
I saw Blue Valentine yesterday. It was well done, but it was too depressing for my taste.

I wanted to see The King's Speech, but the trains were so slow that we would have missed the entire first part. ;-;

ClockHand
02-15-2011, 02:11 AM
So someone haveh heard about Verbinski and his fight to get money to make BioShock the movie but not 13+ rated? (he want to make it R rate but the studios don't want to gave him money if is not 13+ rate, because they want to win more money).

Sylux
02-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Saw The Eagle, it was pretty good

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
02-15-2011, 11:06 PM
Ichi The Killer is a classic. Over the top Yakuza/righteous vigilante movie. Its worth watching. People always go on about how violent it is, but I didn't think it was that bad. The violent scenes are well spread out, so its not like 'I Spit On Your Grave' where something 'disturbing' happens ever 5 minutes. Its not my favourate Far Eastern movie by any stretch, but its always entertaining. Its the kinda mobvie where ya think 'I haven't seen that in a while' then put it on. Kinda like Pulp Fiction.

Also, whats with that girl who speaks one line in Japanese then the next in English? Thats kinda weird.

GunZet
02-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Speaking of violence.
Story of Rikki is probably the best when it comes to that.
Where else can you see a dude get turned into ground beef?

butternut
02-17-2011, 02:05 AM
Well, I don't know if it should belong here in this thread, but most of it is related to movies and it is about Duck Tales.
Do move it where ever it fits.

Well, the Ducks of duck tales invented the idea of Inception long before Nolan did. And a few other things adapted in other movies. Read the article here. (http://www.cracked.com/article_19021_5-amazing-things-invented-by-donald-duck-seriously.html)

Sylux
02-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Ichi The Killer is a classic. Over the top Yakuza/righteous vigilante movie. Its worth watching. People always go on about how violent it is, but I didn't think it was that bad. The violent scenes are well spread out, so its not like 'I Spit On Your Grave' where something 'disturbing' happens ever 5 minutes. Its not my favourate Far Eastern movie by any stretch, but its always entertaining. Its the kinda mobvie where ya think 'I haven't seen that in a while' then put it on. Kinda like Pulp Fiction.

Also, whats with that girl who speaks one line in Japanese then the next in English? Thats kinda weird.

I liked the part where she was cut in two O_o

ClockHand
02-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Who saw the oscars?

I did and I think everything was awesome, except by Inception winning cinematographie (the king speech or the social network should have won it).