PDA

View Full Version : Games with Stand Alone Multiplayer Components? Rad or wat.

jubeh
03-03-2012, 02:49 PM
So on PSN they've released Killzone 3's multiplayer for 15 bucks which to me is just amazing. If I were to have bought that game at full price I probably wouldn't have even touched the campaign.

Poopinions? Are there other games that have done this? Did aliens build the pyramids?

Sylux
03-03-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm not saying it was aliens but

Hayashida
03-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Ancient aliens. And yeah that's sick more game companies need to do this

GunZet
03-03-2012, 03:43 PM
I think that's awesome, and yea, more games should do this. Too bad I don't have a PS3, closest thing to a standalone release off of a main game would be the Alan Wake: American Nightmare thing that just came out on XBLA. Do want.

Sylux
03-03-2012, 04:02 PM
If Mass Effect 3 did this

GunZet
03-03-2012, 04:13 PM
If Mass Effect 3 did this

For free.

T1B3R1U5
03-05-2012, 07:44 PM
If everything did this...

FOR FREE

JUST KIDDING!!! XD!!

Inksprout
03-05-2012, 09:40 PM
TBH I really hate that so many games feature online multiplayer as a big component, expecially if they then exclude local multiplayer. I know my opinion on this doesn't reflect the general opinion of the masses. Personally I don't have a lot of people I can play online with. They are either doing it at times I am no available, or simply don't invite me, or I don't have the game they are currently playing. I much prefer local multiplayer since I live with my sister and we have always played together. The most dissapointing thing for me was when I got the new SSX game and found it exclusively has online multiplayer. I don't USE xbox live. I don't have any friends on it. I was counting on being able to play 2 player with my sister. Such is the tradition of the SSX seriesm, it never even occured to me they would cut out local multiplayer. Anyway /barely relevent rant.

GunZet
03-05-2012, 10:52 PM
I hope local multiplayer doesn't completely disappear. So far it's still in some of my favorite games, and some current games, so that's cool.

T1B3R1U5
03-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Local multiplayer is what made alot of older games great. And I am a traditional old school gamer, practically I still play on the first xbox and ps2 and what not. I do play modern games too, and I enjoy most of them. But, I really get tired of just main multiplayer being online. I don't have internet, I don't have an XB Tag, I have a PSN tag, but I RARELY have the time to wait on a lobby to fill up with people who are generally goin to be a douche bag and just annoying your ass all game. And also, I just don't see the point in having to be in the online gaming arena.

So, I guess local multiplayer is my only safe zone because if someone is being a douche...they are within reach and punching distance.

CypressDahlia
03-06-2012, 07:39 PM
hotseating is far more intense than online play. Also rules out the lag factor.

GunZet
03-06-2012, 07:44 PM
*screenpeaks* OMG, FUCKIN' PRO.

At least that's what I used to do in my days of 4-player, local sessions of Jet Force Gemini.

Matt
03-07-2012, 12:54 AM
Screen peeking is the only thing I dislike about local multiplayer. And I don't even worry about that anymore because I got bored of shooters a long time ago. I've been playing Minecraft with my brother via LAN for the past week. If we don't play that, we play Dungeon Defenders or, more commonly, Overgrowth, Jamestown, or Shank.

On the topic of standalone multiplayer, why not? Single-player campaigns are generally pretty terrible and definitely not worth the other $45 of the game (assuming the devs set the multiplayer value at $15). I can't play anything more demanding than Runescape (and that I quit because I came to hate 99% of the other players), so I save a lot of money in the end. Then I can go back to playing offline games I bought for $20 and haven't grown tired of even after hundreds of hours of playtime.

If this whole post seems like a rant, consider that I get 1200ms ping when connecting to a server in my own state and I pay $100 for it because the only alternative is dial-up. It's easy not to appreciate the recent trend of games built around multiplayer under those conditions.