PDA

View Full Version : Copying someone else's style will improve your work ?

chappy888
02-20-2012, 02:28 AM
The other day I really loved Noizi Itou's Style and I want to try out her style but it failed.Here's the example of this fellow who also admire her style.
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/349/comparisonni.jpg
But my question is will it improve if I keep doing this ?

trilokcool3
02-20-2012, 05:22 AM
Well its like solving mathamatics problems, just practice examples and you get general ideas to solve other or similar question .
So according to me copying is useful.
But its not that you will keep copying whole of your life.
Just collect ideas, basics etc etc . :)

Shindoutou
02-20-2012, 07:14 AM
I think it is valuable as well. You will never exactly copy any drawing, even if you tried to. There will always be some nuances and details that are different, so in the end the drawing will still have something of your own style. If you copy from many different artists, you will end up having a wholly unique style of your own. I think copying from artists that you admire will definitely improve your skills.

chappy888
02-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Well its like solving mathamatics problems, just practice examples and you get general ideas to solve other or similar question .
So according to me copying is useful.
But its not that you will keep copying whole of your life.
Just collect ideas, basics etc etc . :)
I see.Beside copying,I can also find their techniques and learn from them right ?

I think it is valuable as well. You will never exactly copy any drawing, even if you tried to. There will always be some nuances and details that are different, so in the end the drawing will still have something of your own style. If you copy from many different artists, you will end up having a wholly unique style of your own. I think copying from artists that you admire will definitely improve your skills.
Is it like copying their ideas and at the same time I try to develop (more like mixing) my kind of style right ?

ClockHand
02-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Please edit your post to dodge the use of double post.

Imitation is the most basic form of learning, we learned to speak, draw, read and others, through imitation. But it have some issues: 1) you must use analyzes while imitating, so you can learn from the process; 2) pure imitation is the negation of the personal individuality; and 3) always be aware that if you copy something "wrong" you are going to replicate the same problem, so choosing what to copy is an issue too.

I think coping, doing fan arts and others are tool for learning, but you should never abuse them because they can become limitations of your own abilities.

mzzazn
02-20-2012, 12:13 PM
I think viewing someone's art and learning techniques from them is the way to learn.
If someone tries to "copy" another artists' work they will end up drawing WAY too much like them. I have a good friend who is very talented and many people "copy" his style and the other day we discussed this and it ended up really bothering him..
Take a look-
http://ntdevont.deviantart.com/journal/dude-285772551
he gives good advice in it too. :3

You can look up the people that are mentioned that "copy" his style and see that they draw way too similar to him :/

chappy888
02-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Please edit your post to dodge the use of double post.

Imitation is the most basic form of learning, we learned to speak, draw, read and others, through imitation. But it have some issues: 1) you must use analyzes while imitating, so you can learn from the process; 2) pure imitation is the negation of the personal individuality; and 3) always be aware that if you copy something "wrong" you are going to replicate the same problem, so choosing what to copy is an issue too.

I think coping, doing fan arts and others are tool for learning, but you should never abuse them because they can become limitations of your own abilities.

I see.So it's like there is Pros and Cons about copying thier style.And of course I've never abuse the other artist before just because they are better then me.So I'll try improving it : ) .

I think viewing someone's art and learning techniques from them is the way to learn.
If someone tries to "copy" another artists' work they will end up drawing WAY too much like them. I have a good friend who is very talented and many people "copy" his style and the other day we discussed this and it ended up really bothering him..
Take a look-
http://ntdevont.deviantart.com/journal/dude-285772551
he gives good advice in it too. :3

You can look up the people that are mentioned that "copy" his style and see that they draw way too similar to him :/
It is really a good advice.Thanks for this one! (>w<)

apples13
02-23-2012, 06:57 PM
probably not to that extent but I mean if you are out of ideas drawing something is better than drawing nothing

Rio
02-29-2012, 07:59 PM
If you already can copy-draw art perfectly, your next step would be to draw original fan art and from there moving to creating your own original characters and artwork. Just be warned that there's a difference between copy drawing and drawing on your own (i.e. drawing something from scratch that wasn't already made). It's like taking a step back when you make the transition but it's well worth it in the long run. Some interesting tidbits from me here (http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/news/the-path-of-an-artist/) if you care to read about it.