PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on the best laptop?

Zekester014
02-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Imagine you'll be using the laptop for the following programs:

Autodesk Maya and/or Blender
Manga Studio 4
Guild Wars 1 & 2
Alchemy
GIMP

This, and the basics, like web browsing, iTunes and email.

You don't have much of a budget, though, so you have to find a combo of necessity, luxury, and price. any suggestions...?

ClockHand
02-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Don't know if this should go here or not.

I prefer to use a computer to work with images.

GunZet
02-15-2012, 05:29 PM
What you're looking for is a fast CPU. That means look for one clocking in at 2.7ghz or more. The faster the better, usually.
If you get one that has a new Intel chip (the Sandy Bridge series, aka Core i3, Core i5, Core i7), then it should come with a little feature called Intel Turbo Boost Technology, which speeds things up depending on the maximum cpu usage.
That's not all that matters though. You'll need a pretty decent graphics card too. Something moderate from AMD could work. Although I myself love Nvidia card (note they're not actually separate cards, laptops use integrated chips, but modern gaming laptops can usually beat out a modest PC)

Anyways, you can find something like that for close to, or under $500. Depends on the brand really. Acer, Dell, and eMachines are good. I personally recommend Asus, but they're basically gaming laptops, and as such, cost a lot more. Whatever you do though, stay away from Toshiba, unless you're looking for a new heater.

Inksprout
02-15-2012, 06:33 PM
I have a Dell studio 15 that could run everything you've put up. Its avout 2 years old now though so sometimes it struggles with games and it overheats in summer. The stupid thing about laptops is they are harder to maintain and don't last as long. You also can't upgrade them. Is there a particular reason you are looking at laptops rather than desktop?

GunZet
02-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Laptops are cake to take care of compared to making sure your desktop has an adequate power source, and then making sure stuff doesn't overheat and either melt, or damage the MOBO, so then you have to have a good fan, or a nice cooling system. I haven't used a PC since like, 2008, It's a real mix and match risk. I assume Zekester is looking for portability and power; portability being what most people buy laptops for.
Can't carry around a desktop.

Inksprout
02-15-2012, 10:06 PM
I can try damnit! Also I know what you mean if you're actually building a dekstop, but thats not really an issue if you are buying a prebuilt one.

Zekester014
02-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I'm looking at laptops because I recently started college, so there's the matter of portability and battery power, although the latter is not as important (I have access to outlets)

Delphinus
02-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Don't buy HP. Their cooling systems are terrible.

Zekester014
02-16-2012, 11:17 AM
As a side note, would Lenovo work?

Hell_Baron
02-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Don't buy HP. Their cooling systems are terrible.

And definately Packard Hell, they call it that for a reason.

Psy
02-16-2012, 04:32 PM
This thread is so close to being a discussion thread that I will leave it here but ask the OP to make a change to the first post to infuse something like "Share your opinion in the best computer out there" or something to break it up from "help me" to "share your opinion". If you would like to leave it as is let me know and I will move it to the drawing and animation section.

I have an acre and it has last me for ever now. It was fairly cheap when I got it to but as for the specs I have no clue but manga studios 4 works fine on it *no help*.

Cloudy
02-21-2012, 08:11 AM
"[an error occurred while processing this directive]" that's what I get when trying to view page 2 of this thread :O

Laptops can be good, but in my experience they run much slower than a desktop PC...and will never be as good at a desktop PC...they are designed to be smaller, portable, compact so there are "sacrifices" made for this.

But on another note great for travelling and browsing where ever you want etc.

Psy
02-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Ellipses! I will fix it this time because I'm sure the OP didn't know about it.

What are the opinions on laptops that are allso tablets? Ive heard they are slow as hell and one that I wanted needed an external cd drive which I thought would be a pain to have to deal with.

GunZet
02-21-2012, 05:17 PM
My laptop is the G74Sx Asus, badass gaming laptop, and as such, sacrificed portability for power. See, laptops can be just as good if not better than your average desktop, given you're willing to shell out the cash, if not, Cloudy is right to say they are mostly for portability.

As for laptops that double as tablets, I've also heard not so good stuff about them. Apparently Windows 8 is looking to remedy this, since it'll primarily work for touch surfaces. But I wouldn't jump right into it, Win7 is perfecto.

apples13
02-25-2012, 05:03 PM
in terms of the most reliable laptop I think it would have to be lenovo but normally you should run maya on a desktop.

Afrobit
02-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Get an Asus brand.

I have never had any problems with mine, and it's quite popular with the computer guys.
;)

apples13
02-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Get an Asus brand.

I have never had any problems with mine, and it's quite popular with the computer guys.
;)

that is really for casual use, do not ever pick it for things that require a lot of power like maya

GunZet
02-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Asus, casual use? Whaaaa?

Nite01
03-03-2012, 11:16 PM
yeah this is were u talk about this stuff......maybe a mac i have a emachines it works very well with manga studio ex but it needed ram upgrades

Sylux
03-04-2012, 01:30 AM
My laptop is the G74Sx Asus, badass gaming laptop, and as such, sacrificed portability for power. See, laptops can be just as good if not better than your average desktop, given you're willing to shell out the cash, if not, Cloudy is right to say they are mostly for portability.

As for laptops that double as tablets, I've also heard not so good stuff about them. Apparently Windows 8 is looking to remedy this, since it'll primarily work for touch surfaces. But I wouldn't jump right into it, Win7 is perfecto.
This is what I read: Extremely expensive and top-of-the-line laptops can be better than average, easily affordable non-portable tabletop machines with more capability to upgrade, just as long as you pay maybe six times the price, for which you could buy a desktop equivalent that could put a world-renowned astrophysicist's machine to shame.

GunZet
03-04-2012, 02:26 AM
I dunno man, it's pretty awesome when you can take something more powerful than an Xbox and PS3 combined with you and play whenever. Nadda mean, bruh? I mean, if you dig the stationary stuff, cool. I like laptops, cause there's a 85% larger chance single components won't die off.
I've had desktops in the past, the harddrives end up burning out, or the MOBO gives out, or something else gives a shit. I've had about 4 laptops in recent years, only thing that dies is the battery pack, and even then I just keep em plugged up. Though they are dated quickly, which is why you pay more, so you're assured you're future proofed for a bit. I don't see any games taking full optimized advantage of DX11 any time soon. DX11 is meant to make games look better, and run faster, but atm you got games like Metro 2033, Red Faction: Armageddon, Crysis2, etc. And they all get a massive FPS hit.
So until that happens, if you pay more for a gaming laptop, you're effectively future-proofed for a few years at least.

But I'm talking about in the gaming sense. I'm a gamer, so I mean... of course I'm gonna pay more for a good piece of hardware.

edit: You get what you pay for. That sums it all up.

Sylux
03-05-2012, 08:20 PM
Honestly, OP is looking at a Macbook.

estunc
03-15-2012, 02:24 AM
Well, your best bet is a computer that will be good for 3d rendering as they are surely to work well with games as well. They practically have the same requirements and will most likely work to your advantage as you are inclined to do some GIMP work on it as well.

The newer ivy bridge modules are slated to roll out in a few months so that would be something that you would probably want to wait for.

Regantor
03-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Just had my laptop melt on me for the dozenth time and I thought I'd drop you a peice of advice; Some high spec laptops do come with their own problems. Heating, in the case of the said HP Pavillion. T'was a very nice old warhorse, but it was on it's fourth power adapter before the CPU finally toasted last week.

So yeah, there is nothing wrong with going "middle of the range", if affordability and reliability is what you are after. Avoiding touch screen computers or things with Vista software is always a good idea if cheap performance is what you are after, too.