PDA

View Full Version : Independant Cookies's Art, AKA What the Fudge is Wrong Here?

independant_cookie
02-15-2012, 12:20 PM
This is the only drawing I've managed to come close to finishing this week due to schedule and pain in my arms, but here ya go. Updated version will come when my new tablet gets here. :3

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x182/ladyteyamme/Image9.jpg

NWAP
02-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Not bad at all. When your tablet gets here, and you are updating, you might want to keep in mind the angle of the chair seat and legs, also the eyes should usually be one eye length apart. that looks to be about 2 eye length apart. Very nice though! looking forward to seeing more.

saboten55
02-15-2012, 09:02 PM
You already have ur own drawing style, and i LOVE how
her face looks like it's out from japanese picture books
(which some have fabulous drawings and stories)
rather than from a typical modern-day cookie-cutter shojo manga
:cat_love:

(i think originality VERY important...cause im still trying to find it...;__;` )

I would recommend u to sketch people (maybe, at a park)
because her body movement doesn't seem fluid enough to be a real human.

I am looking forward for more of ur works!!! ( >3<)b gj!

Cloudy
02-16-2012, 05:12 AM
"I agree, a bit more work here and there"

Oh yeah?

So where is this here and there...be careful when you do a crit..saying here and there is not helping the person improve, it's just going to confuse them more, if you want to do a crit please explain in detail where "here and there" is and how they can improve upon their next drawing.

I don't mean to be rude, I just want the crit corner to be as helpful and beneficial to the artist as it can be.

as for the drawing.

It's a nice pose, I think it could use some foreshortening and perspective on the legs, because she is twisting her body and it looks a little unnatural and uncomfortable in comparison to the leg position, that being said, I really like the drawing and look forward to more from you, also Welcome back I think I remember your face from the old forum :)

independant_cookie
02-16-2012, 05:12 PM
It'll be a while before I put tablet work up, because it's -really- difficult to get the swing of. That and I've been having wrist problems. Anyone got some quick tips for tablet/digi work?

canime4ever
02-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Sorry, I don't have any tips for digi work, but I can offer a quick crit :)

It's a really nice drawing overall, but might I suggest somethings?

I agree with NWAP about the eyes being slightly too far apart. Another thing I noticed was that the neck seems slightly thick, maybe make it a little curvier? The waist and hips look really nice :D But the thigh on our left looks kinda flat-ish and the left knee is a little square. The last thing I have to crit about is the folds, there should be more on the backside and a few more where the left thigh is. I love how you drew the foot on the ground though! It looks really good :)

There's not much else I can offer, but I hope it helped somewhat XD

Cloudy
02-16-2012, 08:23 PM
The only real thing you can do to get used to using a tablet is to use it as much as you can, eventually it will feel the same as using a pencil, unfortunately unless you are kinda experienced you cant move the tablet around too much with the pen like paper and pencil so it can be hard on your wrist, just take some small breaks if it starts hurting, just keep at it, loosen up a bit, don't be too hard on yourself if you don't succeed at first, keep on trying :)

Mr_Liebe
02-17-2012, 02:33 PM
It's a little late, responding to Cloudy's post, but whatever, lol. Yes, I should've posted a informative crit, sorry Cookie, I was critiquing more to follow the rules then to actually help you, and that's no good, I am sorry. So, this time I'll hopefully do a better job.

The hand was drawn okay, but the fingers seem a bit off, work on that, they look a bit like the fingers of a glove, kind of flat. Great work on the folds, but there's still room for you to improve there. The position of the legs could be approved upon as well, doesn't flow right, looks a bit like they're not excactly attached to the rest of her body. The hair, her expression and her clothes, though, very nice work, keep it up. Again, sorry for the previous, and lackluster critique, I hope this one sufficed.

independant_cookie
03-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Well, no tablet art yet (translation: it's kicking my a**), but here's a nice, graphite perspective study!

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x182/ladyteyamme/Image10.jpg

Critics: chew away! I need mondo helps here.

Sylux
03-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Hey Johanna nice stuff

Gedeon
03-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Everything is pretty good. One thing that strikes my eye is that it doesn't look like the hands are limped down and that they don''t align to the rest of the pics perspective. Other then that its amazing!!!

independant_cookie
03-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks! I'm still having issues with handses..... they like to eat souls. And perspective is still killing me, so anyone got tippies on hands+perspective?

independant_cookie
05-21-2012, 02:08 AM
After an extended absence.....

I have RETURNED! with awesome.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x182/ladyteyamme/faerie.png

Mr_Liebe
05-21-2012, 02:20 AM
What medium did you use? Water colors? Whatever it is, you've done a great jon on the back ground, nice vibrant colors. The Faerie's midsection looks a little off, that's just my opinion, might looks a bit better if you brought it in a bit.

independant_cookie
05-21-2012, 05:38 PM
That's actually all-digital. :3

drought? Wassdat?

JJJorgie
05-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Very, very, very pretty picture! I love the colors! I don't know, but shouldn't we see a little bit of under the chin (?) Other than that, it's BEAUTIFUL!

trilokcool3
05-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Umm.... Is that her left leg is thin as compared to other one. I Don't know much abt coloring bt as a viewer i will recomend that you define her breast a little bit more . May be add some shades, highlights .

independant_cookie
05-21-2012, 07:19 PM
@JJ: -headdesk- I KNEW I forgot something.

@Trilo: yeahhhh.... the one line is thinner than the other and the leaf thing was frustrating so I kinda just gave up there. lol

This one I -just- finished.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x182/ladyteyamme/faerie2.png

I'm more concerned with hair here than anything else.

Rubisko
05-22-2012, 02:19 AM
So I went ahead and tried out that palette ripping thing Rio has been using for the Inspiration of the Day on your two fairies.
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/fairies_palette.png

If you compare it with the ones Rio got from the inspiration pieces you can see that those artists uses a lot more darker and lighter variations of the base colors than you have done here. You could try to use one of the palettes Rio has prepared in the Inspiration thread if you like, or go tohttp://www.ctrlpaint.com/home/2012/1/31/basic-color-schemes.html#comments (Matt Kohr's CtrlPaint) and learn more about choosing your color scheme. Either way, you're doing great already so keep the good work up!

Psy
05-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Some of the folds on the skirt sugguest that they should be longer based on the way the hem of the skirt flows. Your likes are best in the face and head but i feel like when drawing the thickest lines are best saved for the outline but that could be a personal thing. I wouldnt define the areas of the hair with solid plack lines but go for darker shades. maybe dark browns for the darker areas of shadow in the hair. I think you could get away with not having to draw the but as well. With her sitting in the grass i dont think anyone would fault you for having the grass cover her bum mostly. Keep going :D

independant_cookie
05-22-2012, 03:02 PM
@Rubi: Wha? @_@ i'm so confused.

@Psy: I see the skirt thing. xD The original sketch actually had more folds, I just got lazy with the paths tool. And I did not think about the grass thing.

JJJorgie
05-22-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Rubi's trying to say to widen your color range. "Darker darks and lighter lights" type of thing.

independant_cookie
05-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Ahhh.... gotcha. well, i'll see what I can do, my eye for color is not so great though.

Gaff
05-24-2012, 02:04 PM
What program are you painting in? If you have trouble with colours and you're in PS, you might find it easier to paint in shades of grey and place colour layers on top. If you're not happy with the results, it's much easier to change it until you get a colour scheme you're happy with.