PDA

View Full Version : Liebe's Art Eye see you

Pages : [1] 2

Mr_Liebe
02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
I've been working on a drawing right now, and I will upload it either tonight or tomorrow night. I think it might be my best yet, though that's not saying much, ha ha ha.

GunZet
02-06-2012, 05:22 PM
I've made this thread specifically for people to post doodles or general exercises.
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/showthread.php?1163-Let-s-exercise!

So feel free to post whatever little sketches you have there if you want.
*make sure you get some art in here though, lol*

Mr_Liebe
02-06-2012, 05:57 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/024.jpg

I still have a long way to go, but I do actually think I may be getting a tad bit better.

GunZet
02-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Alright. Let's get this crit crackin' shall we?

Starting from the main features, outwards.

The face looks nice, but very flat, and rigid. Especilly around the eyelids and the nose. Those are meant to be soft, guestural lines, like with the hair you did. Speaking of hair, I don't know if you took a look at some pictures or not, but it's very straight forward, and doesn't seem to really have a point of origin. It's just flat, like blehhhh, and falls down as if gravity is Earth's times 9000. So bring more interesting shapes and flow into the hair next time.

Bottom Line: Keep facial lines soft, or very light, and to a minimum, depending on the style you're going for (see my art, and Clemente Suave). Work on hair.

The eyes are good, I like how they have emotion in them. Remember, controlling the eyebrows really can put a lot into an expression. Although, these eyebrows are really thin and kind of unnatural, don't worry we see this in real life too when you get girls that like to draw them on *shudders*.

Bottom Line: Take a look at some eyebrows and try to draw them that way for a bit instead of line-like. Remember, they always flow in an outwards motion, but it also varies. Oh also, soften the eyeshadows beneath the brows, that'll also give it more depth. One last thing on the eyes, try to direct the eyes downwards to the flower, so it seems she's concentrating on something, giving the picture more, ehhh, umph, I guess.

The lips are cool, but extremely small. I know you're going for the puckerd look, but if she relaxes her lips, I don't see them going to a very normal size, as they look really constrained to begin with. Again, pick up some reference and try to go from there. I'd say all you really need to do with them is make em more plump, and bigger, that way they are more believable.

Back up to the face real quick. The ears... I can't say much for the ears, as they lack all the detail ears have, and are in a very general shape. It took me a while to learn how to effectively draw ears enough to where they'd be real looking, and I woudn't have to get completely anatomically correct. So practice those by themselves sometimes if you get the chance.

Bottom Line: Make the lips bigger, more plump, more together so to speak. And bring more detail into the ears.

The body. Well, the body is alright, I know it's not the main focus of the picture, but it's there, so why not. Basically, the neck seems to either be a bit too thick, or just right I can't tell really, due to how the shoulders are, and lack of the rest of the body to compare them to. So even though it too is very basic I don't see all too much wrong with it besides the neck looking broken in a spot to the right near her collar.

Now as for the arm and the hand, there's a lot going on there that needs fixing. But I'm glad you didn't try and fart your way through by hiding the hands. They're a super difficult thing to draw for nearly -all- artists, and hiding them isn't a good idea. This is one area that needs a lot of work, because the hand is simple an odd shaped square with what looks like lines in it to make it look like a hand. The wrist is very oval shaped, and right in front of the picture. Imagine if you extended her off the page. How would those arms look? You have to think about that when doing busts, everything still has to be proportionate.

Bottom Line: Work on your hands, and arms, and do a bit of anatomy practice with em... no not a bit, a lot. Trust me, it'll help, but loosen yourself up, you're really tight with your lines in a stage that you need to be loose for, so that you learn quicker. Just sketch, sketch, sketch, lines on top of lines, on top of lines, let it flowwwww.

Verdict: You've made a lot of progress from the weird creatures from about a year ago, haha. Just keep it up, and don't get down on yourself, cause that just.... doesn't help. I'll be glad to give you some more tips here or there, or share a secret or two lol.
But most importantly, use reference, as much as you can. Try drawing your references, then drawing your own stuff.
Reference, practice, wash, rinse, repeat.

Joosh
02-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Are you the liebe from GB awhile back? You were on there a lot..

Cloudy
02-07-2012, 02:52 AM
I think you should work on not only your anatomy but also your technique, This can take time.

I am going to be very honest since you asked me to crit your art I am going to assume you are ready to to take what others have to say very seriously, please do not be disheartened or feel like you are being attacked because you are not crits are to help you. so with that out of the way I'll continue:3

At the start a lot of people shade their work like you have and it can look very dramatic you really want to get the shading of the face to look soft and natural, as you grow as an artist you will find ways to use shading that will flatter your image and look effective.

Try to stray away from shading only parts of your drawings if you are going to shade something right you need to shade everything otherwise it tends to look incomplete.
you have used strong colour on the lips and used a very dark line to outline them, try instead just drawing the inner lip and shading softly to portray soft pretty lips, though your shading would be good for strong lipstick I don't tend to think it looks nice in an anime style unless it has proper shading and highlights, but that's just me.

If you look at real pictures of ladies this will help you tremendously to draw and shade them accordingly the shading above and around the eyes is dramatic there are contours around the eyes because of bone and flesh that effects the way shade and highlights form. with that said I think you need to study the anatomy of the face to help you :)

The shape of the face isn't actually too bad, you just need to work on the features to make it flattering.

Her head stands out to me as being VERY big make sure before you draw the hair that you first draw the head, the hair stands up out of your head around 1/2 a cm to 1cm depending on the style it could be more voluminous.

Her eyes have a lot of expression to me it looks like a shocked or scared expression because you can see the whole of her irises, but her eyebrows do not have the same expression be careful of that :)

the next thing I notice is her hand, in that position you would need to work out how foreshortening works, this can be tedious and hard but keep at it and you will one day master it again reference pictures are key.

I've done a quick pic digitally based on your drawing It's no where near complete but you will get the basic idea (sry I don't have a scanner set up right now so i couldn't do a sketch)

You can see some of the shading i've done and re positioning of some features. A lot can be achieved with the right shading and positioning of features just keep on practicing and fleshing out your characters, if you get a tablet feel free to come into the groupboard and check out what we are doing in there and draw some digital stuff :)

http://i41.tinypic.com/295bx93.png
http://i44.tinypic.com/4kd8j9.jpg

Cloudy
02-07-2012, 03:18 AM
It's not for me hun it's for your own improvements, the drawing you did was not bad by any means, I am just pointing out the things I noticed :) keep up the good work! I honestly can't wait to see how you improve

Shadowsfade
02-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Wow, you've had a tonne of critiques so I don't think there's really much more I can add! But like Cloudy said, you don't need to worry about other peoples' standards, there are always more experienced artists than yourself whatever the level, and if you're proud of a drawing then you should be, critiques should just help you get to the level of art you want to be at :) look forwards to seeing a new pic posted by you!

Mr_Liebe
02-07-2012, 01:07 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/025.jpg

Sadly, I had already started on this before reading Gunz crit, so I'm sure it has most of the same problems the one before had. Again, I felt it was better to just finish it and post it, rather than try and 'improve' it, ha ha ha.

Shadowsfade
02-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Pretty good so far :) A few things that I can see: The waist is very thin compared to the size of the boobs, but also the tummy section before the tail is very short - normally mermaid tails are drawn from below the bellybutton, around the hip area, and so you should have a longer tummy / waist section (this may also help the waist not look as small compared to the boobs). The arms are also very thin, you need to widen them. The shape of the tail is good :)

Joosh
02-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Yep, could you critique my drawing?

uhhh

pretty much the same everyone else is saying, I cant top them.. :C

For the first drawing on the 1st page;
-the hair makes the head look really big
-All the facial features are out of proportion, EX. Big ears, and a small nose/mouth. A good thing to remember is the top of ears is right where the top of eyes start too.
Noses are around the size of an eye as well.

Guess im just confirming and agreeing with them... Damn them having good crits at first..

Evil_Cake
02-08-2012, 05:34 PM
use all the advice from dose crits when u make it plz

Inksprout
02-08-2012, 07:50 PM
I won't say too much on this one since you've got some good advice for it. The boobs look pretty awkward, almost as if she's wearing a bra, only she isn't. I think they are too big, but it could also just be what shadow said about the thin waist. The hands and arms are very small and thin in this too, a good rule of thumb for hands is that they should be roughly the size of the character's face. The shoulders seem to curve upwards too much and it makes the character look bulky combined with the big boobs.
Not so much about anatomy but more just about drawing mermaids in general: When you add the tail to the mermaid the join is traditionally V shaped, and further down the body like shadow suggested to make it look smexy. The fattest part of the tail should be the same width as the shoulders, because they are like the hips of a normal women.

Don't just wait till the next drawing to try out everyone's advice. Even if you just spend another half hour on the pic trying out the suggestions it will help the advice stick in your mind. I always find it really helpful because I see how much difference it makes. Its like giving a redline to yourself almost.

Inksprout
02-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Like I said, it might help to go back and fix things after you post here. It might also help to do less finished drawings. What I mean is instead of spending ages working on a complete picture spend some time drawing a whole bunch of basic skeletons in different positions, or doing a study on one particular body part you want to improve.

Mr_Liebe
02-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Here's a new drawing, ignore the water marks.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/026.jpg

Oh, and there's a drawing on the second page of a mermaid, if you could crit that as well, I'd appreciate it.

Cloudy
02-10-2012, 12:50 AM
for that one, its good you are trying full body be aware of the head to body ratio.

your picture has only around 4 1/2 heads high, an average human has around 7 1/2 - 8

you should be aiming for 6-8 heads high if you can.

indescribable
02-10-2012, 01:22 AM
Realistically, 6 heads tall is about the proportion you would see in a 6 year old child; however, in more stylized cartoons you could probably get away with drawing a teen at 6 heads. 7 1/2 to 8 heads is ideal for most adults.

http://www.idrawdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/prop2.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wpDe9Bb7vfA/TkCiGZgwkqI/AAAAAAAAAGM/pwPHdzJBtao/s1600/prop_var.gif

indescribable
02-10-2012, 02:20 AM
Not necessarily, just stretch the person out more. Take up all of the paper, use a bigger piece, or, if you have to, attach another one.

indescribable
02-10-2012, 03:27 AM
No problem, I can be pretty insensitive, lol. Also it's Taylour. S'cool you remembered about the spelling at all, most people don't.

I also forgot to mention that you've definitely improved since I last saw your art, so props for that.

Shadowsfade
02-10-2012, 11:47 AM
I like the new drawing :) just reinforcing what the others said about the height of her really. I think you got the upper proportions much better on this new piece than the mermaid :)

Mr_Liebe
02-13-2012, 05:40 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/027.jpg

Sorry it took so long. Again, some parts I just drew real fast to get it over with.

Mr_Liebe
02-15-2012, 07:37 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/028.jpg

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/029.jpg

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/030.jpg

please crit my these and my last posted work.

trilokcool3
02-15-2012, 09:12 PM
umm....
Have you gone through fanarts ?
I mean it really helps .
1. Helps you understand at that very moment what went WRONG.
2. You get to critic yourself.
3. Motivating

its just not only you draw but sets a target for you to acheive that (reference pic/fanart) with perfection.

trilokcool3
02-15-2012, 09:29 PM
ahhh...
Wrong for the last one
1. Anatomy.
2. Heights.
So far i can say that.
Its no really good if you just take critics
you have to realize yourself and rectify it .
Because i am gona say the same thing what earlier is been said .
AND SORRY IF OTHERS GO AGAINST ME AND IF YOU ARE HURT.
:(

Ozzaharwood
02-16-2012, 06:54 AM
You've improved quite a bit since I last critiqued your artwork, but something is still missing. I'm not sure if someone has said this already, but the thing I'm seeing that you are lacking in your drawings is confidence. You see this a lot with amateur aspiring artists—even I did it up until a little while ago—and it's line confidence. When you draw, even while sketching, you should try to keep straight, fluid lines that don't break and don't come out jagged. The best way to do this is use your full arm and full wrist, and make fast, smooth movements in your sketch. This is especially important when drawing hair, as hair flows naturally and you want it to look that way. You should also take classes or look up tutorials for shading/clothing folds. I still can't draw folds very well from my mind; it's a very hard thing to master. Shading is fairly similar, except if you draw from life or draw a copy of another's artwork with shading, it'll eventually come naturally to you. I think I mentioned this before, but you should check out Mark Crilley's tutorial videos on Youtube. Even if you think they aren't doing you any good, you'll at least be watching how a sketch is formed and how shading and folds are drawn. I myself also find them fun to watch, and believe that they have helped me a lot over my art life.

If you'd like, I could supply you with some tutorials that I think may help. Just ask and you shall recieve, but right now I have to get ready for school. Hope that this helped, and welcome back. c:

Mr_Liebe
02-17-2012, 02:21 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/031.jpg

A bit of Naruto fan art, wanted to start with something relatively easy, even then it ain't too good, ha ha ha.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/032.jpg

Medusa, again, I think this is a good bit better than the last Medusa I drew in GB.

SuperKasey
02-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Since you asked. . . What Oz said pretty much hit the nail on the head for most of what I'm seeing. More confidence, more fluidity.

I'd like to add that while getting critique is awsome and can be highly helpful it's not going to single handedly make you into a great artist. When someone suggests you work on something you'd better study the hell out of it. Watch/read tutorials, try different excersizes, look at reference, draw something you've never drawn before. A lot of the most important things I learned about drawing, and I'm sure others will agree, I had to teach myself through constant practice and research.

Onto the drawings. I feel like I'm kind of seeing the same thing from you over and over, just with little varriations. I'm talking same head angle, same pose just with the arms moved about and then maybe toss some different clothes and hair in there. Expand a little. Try some gesture drawings or action poses or maybe just a more fluid standing or sitting pose. Study the head and face from different angles. While you're at it why not toss in a little study on individual body parts or facial expression?

Your proportions have obviously improved so I know you're listening that much. The most important part of critique is coming back with a drawing and showing the people that took the time to help you that their advice was put to good use. Just saying, well I learn slow so don't expect much, is going to drive your critics away faster than an outbreak of plague.

Mr_Liebe
02-18-2012, 06:42 PM
I never liked studying, personally, but I suppose it would be wise to start doing studies on independent body parts. I'll start looking at some of Mark Crilley's tutorials, again, that'll surely help. Could you recommend some excersizes? I'll work on posting a wider of variety of drawings, working on different poses hair styles all that stuff. I wanted to try this before, I was just unsure wether I was ready to try it, I apologise for being wrong in that regard. I'll work harder to try and do all of this, I will, apologies for not completely following through with all of this.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/033.jpg

Jiraiya in action pose, sorry I couldn't get the legs in there, I'll work on it.

Next one will be a study on either Eyes or Hands, not sure... actually, no.... Hands.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/067.jpg

I know this isn't excactly a study, but there's other things I'm doing at the moment, so I'll post more later when I have more time.

trilokcool3
02-18-2012, 08:55 PM
wow!!
That naruto , wow ! Its really good . Nice work . I know how you felt when you completed that naruto.
As for medusa i remember her playing in DOTA games. Hmm
whats wrong is ofcouse
ANATOMY
1.her hands too muscular. Make it a bit thinner.
2. Boobs (oh come on make that part sexier) i mean perfect .
3. Ya the overall ratio between the head and body is not right .
Body should have been little bigger.
Suggestion:-
1.fanarts again , you are good at that
2.look out for more references . A FULL body pose dealing with anatomy.
Xtra suggestion:-(optional)
1. Draw ANTIMAGE for anatomy . (Dota game) he he
2. Mark crilley arts.
And once again
that naruto is awesome !!

trilokcool3
02-18-2012, 11:14 PM
umm...
Yes work on hands too.
Her right hand
1. Too muscular, usaually female hand muscles they dont bulge out much like male in free state .
Her left hand
1. I think her fingers are not goin for the arrows , direction is wrong.
2. Lower part you made it way too curve , it seems like elastic hand, make it straight.
Suggestion
1. Yeah work on more a bit realism.
2. Mimic the pose infront of a mirror, to get better idea of hands .

trilokcool3
02-18-2012, 11:40 PM
for some reason your last updates from jiraya its showing
'page not found'
hey as you are using photobucket theres a [IMG] file code upload those . I think this will be easy .

trilokcool3
02-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Hands are nice .
Realism will depend on how you shade those .
Yeah you are getting good .
Waiting for more to see .

trilokcool3
02-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Ha ha
thats very nice of you . Well i will see if i get any good (more) by that time .
Oh here's a link
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/showthread.php?1444-neeD-Help-need-help-plz-plz-REPLY-2-ME

i am stucked at my manga .
If you like your critics are all welcome .

trilokcool3
02-19-2012, 12:37 AM
Go throug this also , its a nice thread
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/showthread.php?982-PIMP-MY-ART!!!!!-(its-back!-and-sticky-d!)??p=1??
:)
give a try .

Mr_Liebe
02-19-2012, 02:58 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/035.jpg

another attempt of mine in drawing realism.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/036.jpg

Was having a hard time getting to sleep, so I sketched a bit, here are the results.

Cloudy
02-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Keep up the good work! I see a lot of improvement from the first one. Keep an eye on her head size, it's a tad on the small side.

Inksprout
02-20-2012, 04:56 AM
I think you're starting to improve which is nice to see! Its always helpful to study realism so I'm glad you're doing so. If you want to draw environments make sure you learn about perspective, ita tricky but it makes everything look awesome, even in a natural environment.

Mr_Liebe
02-20-2012, 03:47 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/037.jpg

Poison Ivy... again, lol.

Next update... I don't know, out of nowhere I just started sketching some Sailor Moon fan art, so that might be updated next.

trilokcool3
02-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Hmm...
You are doing good !
Capture the body ratio of this drawing and try to input it in your previous drawing . I am sure your ratio will get fine .
Keep it up
practice practice :)

trilokcool3
02-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Yes
drawing smooth lines is must.
Ratios are the most important .

Mr_Liebe
02-21-2012, 12:08 AM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/024-1.jpg

More sketches, whee! Originally, I was going to sketch me a tiger, but I didn't know how and where to draw the stripes, so I elected to draw a lion, ha ha ha.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/025-1.jpg

I'm going to start doing a bit of a wide variety of fan art, so expect more. Catsy, I drew from mind except for her tu-tu, had to look up a pic to be able to draw it somewhat properly, as for Sailor Mars, well I had to use a reference fro the body.

SuperKasey
02-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Lovin' all the variety man :) Good stuff. And it's cool that you're expanding beyond the human form too! I need to do that more often OTL

Onto the crits!
-If you want to draw something but don't have a good feel for what it looks like get yourself a ref picture. It's not cheating.
-Sailor Mars' arm looks broken. I'm not sure if it's just a tangent in your lines or whatever but right where it pokes out below her skirt the angle seems weird to me.
-I'm seeing a reoccuring problem in the legs. Particularly in the knees. It kinda looks like there's the thighs and calfs but no joint due to how tight you're sinching in the area. Knees tend to be a rather thick and knobby joint and they bring a lot of form to the leg. Yes the knee area does get narrow when viewing a straight leg from the front but not quite so drasticly. Take a look at some photo refs and you'll see what I mean.

Mr_Liebe
02-21-2012, 03:13 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/026-1.jpg

I was actually going to hold off on creating characters for my Project until I've mastered the fundamentals of art, but decided there's no harm in at least setting up stepping stones for when I do start my manga. This is a proto-type character for that manga, Richard 'the Bear' Mann. I will start posting more proto-types for characters, as well as backgrounds of the Mangas setting.... though I think I might just create a new manga thread in Manga Anime art, not sure.

Lol, apparently, I need work on muscular anatomy, much work. I suppose in the next few weeks, I may be able to do a better job, hopefully.

I was thinking I should actually do a study, lol. This time.... maybe a study on facial expressions, or Abdominal muscles, maybe Hands, not quite sure.... you know, I might just do studies for all three one after another.

Scarletlight
02-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Nothin wrong with makin OC's early on in your artistic career, they can actually help speed up improvement in a way.

So, we're dealin with bad as bear man. The first thing that jumps out at me is the neck. It shouldn't curve inward that much. Especially with a masculine neck, try to make the neck thicker and straighter (though not perfectly straight).

Moving down the image the chest muscles stick out to me. They look more like female breasts, which is an issue when we're looking for a bad ass guy. Again, more angular lines for the chest would fix that. And try to remember that the chest muscles connect up toward the deltoid area.

Also the obliques (or muscles surrounding the abdomenals) aren't that pronounced unless your hella thin. The most muscular of guys have a few prominent but certainly in that number.

Facial anatomy's pretty on point though :)

Till next time.

Mr_Liebe
02-22-2012, 04:22 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/027-1.jpg

Another prototype character for my manga, Crysal. As my manga may end up being part Harem. Crystal is essentially the wild, lusty, drunk babe of the 'harem'.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/028-1.jpg

I watched a movie a while ago, called Ink, if you're into indie flicks at all, you may have hearde of it, it's a great movie and I insist that you take and hour 45 minutes out of your life to watch it, I don't think you'll really regret it.

Shadowsfade
02-23-2012, 10:05 AM
You've improved much better on body proportions and things since I last visited :) For your picture of Crystal: I think her right (our left) forearm is a bit too big, try and narrow it a bit. Also, a comment on the boobs (that applies to your other drawings too) - whilst there's nothing wrong with big breasted women, you tend to draw each one as big as (or sometimes bigger) than the character's head, which makes the drawings look quite disproportionate. However, that is some peoples' styles, so if you're aiming for a stylised thing then don't worry about it. Also, you mostly draw them as pretty much perfect circles, which isn't their shape - when a girl is wearing a top, you don't tend to see the whole shape, unless the clothing is very tight, so for instance on your picture of Catsy, you don't need most of it outlined. If it is a looser top, you tend not to see the line in the middle seperating the two, just their outline, and a bit of a line underneath seperating it from the tummy. If they're not wearing a top, or something that only partially covers you would then see more of the shape. Hope this helps, and keep up the good work!

Blue_Dragon
02-24-2012, 08:06 AM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/025-1.jpg

I'm going to start doing a bit of a wide variety of fan art, so expect more. Catsy, I drew from mind except for her tu-tu, had to look up a pic to be able to draw it somewhat properly, as for Sailor Mars, well I had to use a reference fro the body.

Okay, you just became the coolest person in this forum, because you actually have some Sailor Moon fan art. Seriously, I LOVE Sailor Moon. Did you know the re-releases from Kondasha (is that right?) press are finally coming out! Yay! Beats the Pocket Mixx.

Critique time. I'm only gonna do this one, cause I need to get some sleeps soon. o_O sorry.

I like how you tackle Rei's pose. You've got an interesting stance, which is a good start. One thing I always try to do (and try to tell others to do) is try to get the whole body on the page (not that cropping can't be done well, it's just good to do the whole body always until you get a good feel for it. It helped me a lot!) Also, now that you've got an awesome pose, be careful of proportions. Her torso, I believe, should not be so elongated (just shorten it up a bit :3) and her right (our left) arm is too long. Arms should reach about the middle of the thigh. Her arm in the picture is currently reaching mid-thigh, but with bent elbow, so it'd be longer than it should be if she lowered it to her side. Those are just a few things you might want to work on. But I could tell who you were drawing right away-and the hands for the most part are pretty good, but need a little refining.

I'm too lazy to do Catsy. But keep on truckin'! You're showing improvement :3 Good to see you posting stuff again!

Sylux
02-25-2012, 10:24 AM
No I learn everything from reference and then evolve it. I learn basics, for instance, of mecha drawing by drawing pre-existing mechs, then use those fundamentals to create original pics. It's not a bad thing and it's pretty much mostly necessary.

Blue_Dragon
02-25-2012, 10:28 AM
^I second. References help you get a feel of what something should look like, and then once you're familiar, you build on it. Totally agree with Sy :3 (not be confused with Psy) Sci fi? o_O What's going on. I need sleep.

Shadowsfade
02-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Yeah, you shouldn't worry about using a ref. When I first started I thought that refs were only for newbies, then as I drew more I found out that even the most experienced artists use them - eg. if you've heard of Mark Crilley, he's a published manga artist, and he still uses refs for clothing and poses. So you shouldn't feel bad about it :) it just makes the pic better, right? and you deffo are improving :) keep it up!

Mr_Liebe
02-25-2012, 06:03 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/029-1.jpg

A study I did on heads, and a little studying on facial expressions, not much variety , I know. The next study on the head I do will have more facial expressions.

Mr_Liebe
02-26-2012, 01:54 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/030-1.jpg

Poison Ivy.... again again, lol. I was looking to start practicing poses, and the like, starting with a woman sitting with one leg crossed over the other, and spread out from there, and I thought this was a good place to start.

Maybe I should date my drawings, or something, atleast label them under a month so as to make it easier for people to keep heads up in seeing my progress. Lol, maybe that's a good Idea, ha ha ha.

spidergoth
02-27-2012, 04:40 AM
I think you improved a lot looking through your stuff. And like everyone said references are really important, when I draw I use references for everything especially when it comes to poses. And that doesn't mean you have to copy something exactly like if I want to draw a mermaid I look up everything from Leighton's Fisherman and the siren to Ariel from the Little Mermaid just to get a feel for what you're doing.

From your latest pic I can say your doing well with hands which are difficult for almost everybody. Some porportions are off like her neck being too thin and her bottom leg is too thick but you're on the right track so keep the work up ^^

trilokcool3
02-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Hey can i ask you something ? What size of paper you are using ?
This is very important that you draw with regular plane copies i.e 30cm*18cm or something similar .
I hope you are using that size .
And sure you are improving . :)

Shadowsfade
02-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Wow, that's a really good pose! (I suck at people sitting o.O). Just pretty much what Spider said really, about the neck being too thin and the bottom leg too thick (If you think about it, the bottom leg is just the shin bit of your leg, which is thinner than your thigh, and you've done it pretty much the same thickness as the thigh of the other leg). Also, the head might need to be a tiny bit bigger, though it may just seem smaller because the neck is small. Also, the hands are really good!

Mr_Liebe
02-27-2012, 07:00 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/031-1.jpg

I was wondering what to draw next, then one of those VS commercials came on tv, and damn, are the womenz sexy, or what?
Lol, anyways, voila

God damn it, I just remembered, I said I'd do a hand study, meh. I'll do one tomorrow, though it'll be quite messy at first. Clenched fists, open palmed, all of that.... actually I think I'll 3 or so to make up for the times I said I would but just drew a big tittied woman instead, lol.

Mr_Liebe
02-29-2012, 06:46 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/032-1.jpg

I really don't like drawing hands, nor do I care much for the humbling feeling that comes with doing so. I spent a few hours on all of these, used up maybe a quarter, maybe a third of an eraser, one of those gum ones, trying to get all these hands looking good. Didn't want to use a reference, thought I could do without, and I thought wrong, I guess.

Inksprout
02-29-2012, 06:57 PM
The mostly useful thing I learny about drawing hands was how to draw them as a basic skeleton sort of thing first, it makes it a bit easier to draw the proportions and an position you want to. Also with hands the easiest thing to do is look at your own hand as a reference. Never the less these look pretty good. The fingers in a lot of them are too short though and the thumbs up in the top left is too blocky. Work on getting the length and shapes right, remember that all the fingers are very different lengths. You've done the pinkies as long as the ring finger when its generally a lot shorter. I really like how you drew the nails!

NWAP
03-01-2012, 12:27 AM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/031-1.jpg

So I've been looking at your thread, your past drawings, and what people have to been criting you on...and Ive come to a conclusion. I really think you need to slow down your drawing process.

Based on your past drawing and what people have been telling you on this thread, I know you have a decent amount of art knowledge, but your drawings are still inconsistent. Take for example this "VS commercial" drawing. Her eyes are pretty much touching...I know this isn't a lack of knowledge, because you've drawn eyes very proportionate, almost every time in your past drawings. It seems to me that when you draw you focus too much on the idea of what your drawing, instead of what your actually putting on the paper. Don't rush it:0. And if you did happen to notice the eyes...don't settle! If you see a problem, fix it. We all have to use our eraser at some point.

As for the hands. In my personal opinion, using your own hands as a ref is a bad idea :/ . Me for example, I have huge hands, with longish fingers. But the problem is I often drawn women, and I don't want them to have long man hands. My best advice is to look at other hand refs, and try to fit them to what or whoever you're drawing.

Shadowsfade
03-01-2012, 04:05 PM
A thing that I've noticed in a couple of your drawings of women. When you draw, do you do a basic skele, or even just the outline of the person, before you add the clothes? when I first started, I tended to draw as I went along (eg head then shoulders, then top, then skirt, then I would add the legs afterwards) and this means that often the legs don't match up with how they should, and they tend to curve in as they reach the skirt etc. In your latest pic, and 1 or 2 before, it seems like this may be what you're doing, so just a suggestion for the future, even if you just draw a light sketch in pencil of where the legs would go with no clothes on, before adding it ontop, it makes it look much more natural.

As for your latest decision, I agree that you should occassionally do more detailed pics, and what NWAP was saying, but don't worry about continuing sketching at the same time. You can do quicker pics or doodles still, its good to get a quick burst of practice, even if you don't post them on your thread here (we don't need to see everything :) ). I get what you were saying about getting carried away with the pic. but if you're worried about losing an idea or your inspiration, jot down a quick sketch of a sentence outlining what you want to do, then you can spend time on more detail and getting things right, without worrying you'll lose your idea.

looking forwards to new pics

Captain_Neko
03-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Outline, play around with some facial features. Practice head shapes a lot.

Mr_Liebe
03-04-2012, 06:43 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/033-1.jpg

My second... maybe third attempt, at coloring my work. Frankly, it needs a shit load of work, ha ha ha.

I think I'm going to start cutting back to maybe doing 1 main drawing a week, and maybe a study along with a sketch or two. Mostly, though it'll be a finished product, colored or shaded, at least, lol.

For the forseeable future, I think I'll be uploading a lot of reference pieces. I thought I was ready to do my own thing, but as you can see, while my proportions are okay, and maybe I could do okay drawing some poses, it'd be best if I spend a lot of time doing reference pieces so I could learn more poses, and improve my proportions even better, and maybe in a few months, I'll be able to draw something cool without need of a reference. Yeah, I know Kasey, it's not cheating, and yeah everyone has spent time doing nothing but ref work, but it still leaves a bit of a bad taste, you know.

Shadowsfade
03-06-2012, 12:56 PM
I like the hair / horns / wings :) My tip for colouring in pencil is maybe to not press so hard? colour lightly, and to make the colours darker build it up a bit or something? i'm not an expert as i've never really done much of my art coloured with pencils, im sure someone else could give you much better tips, but if you press hard straight away you can see the pencil strokes and you get the white space, which you have, so doing it gently and building up should make that less obvious :)

shui
03-06-2012, 01:49 PM
very cool! you know with pencil crayons and colouring with them if you press really lightly and go over it slowly it will create a really smooth look and no whitness between. Also lets see some shading!! woo. If you press lighter you can also work with the shades of one colourw hile adding many more and it would totally add more depth to your pieces! cool idea though!

Inksprout
03-06-2012, 04:57 PM
If you want to do some work purely on shading you can try doing some grey scale (just with your regular pencil) and leave out the colour. You could also try getting some different types of grey lead such as H2 (which are lighter than HB) to experiment with greyscale shading. Before you start colouring try testing how the different pressures look on a seperate piece of paper

Mr_Liebe
03-13-2012, 09:48 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/034.jpg

Son Goku!!!! Sorry it took so long for me to update, had a bit of a hard time deciding what to draw next, figured I've been drawing too many women lately, and thought it'd be nice if I worked on male anatomy. Next few will be male characters.

Sylux
03-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Hey cool

Cloudy
03-16-2012, 09:03 PM
keep on practicing :)

trilokcool3
03-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Wow !! I can see you are really working hard . Hmm keep it up. Ok about shading
i remember somebody said me when it comes to shading yeah keep in mind about LIGHT SOURCE so that you can shade in particular areas where shadows should form.

Rubisko
03-17-2012, 02:47 AM
Wow Liebe, it's starting to look really good! Keep studying :)

Mr_Liebe
03-18-2012, 02:58 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/035-1.jpg

YEAAAAAAH!!!!!! Lol, was looking around for something to draw, found a pic of Bastian riding on Falcor and decided to do some fan art, I think considering my level this is pretty good.

Rubisko
03-22-2012, 06:11 AM
Just generally, when you draw stuff like this, keep the lines loose and focus on correct measurements. It's important to get everything to the correct size in relation to everything else. Things like making lines for fur, eyes, nose and so on comes later. Keep it up, it'll really help to practice this stuff :)

Mr_Liebe
03-24-2012, 03:23 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/036-1.jpg

I was listening to Layla, and decided it'd be fun to try my hand at drawing Eric Clapton, and actually, I think I might do a series of these drawings, be good way to improve my skills, what little there is, ha ha ha.

Sylux
03-24-2012, 04:48 PM
U should trace to get better

Rubisko
03-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Yeah, well the thing about reference is that the ones who view your work is going to compare it with the reference they've got stored in their brains. And it's always easier to say "this doesn't look right" than it is to draw something exactly as it is. Artists have always used reference in their work, but for some reason artists of our generation initially avoid it. I didn't either until just a couple of years ago, and now I realize that I didn't really didn't know much about how things really looked before that. If I somehow missed the point: use reference! All the good artists out there does, why shouldn't you? Now on to the important stuff:

Eric Clapton (used to) rock! The guitarist I enjoy most is Zappa, so if you're going to make a series of guitarists-portraits I wonder if I could request a portrait of him? :)(if I somehow missed my point twice; use reference :) )

Gedeon
03-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Pretty awesome. THe only thing that bugs my eyes is how the nose lines are soo hard. I think you could have given it a much better look if you drew the nose with shadows instead of lines.

Mr_Liebe
03-26-2012, 08:33 PM
So, instead of lines, indicate the bridge of the nose with shading?

Matt
03-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Yes. For example, look at Gedeon's avatar and signature. When drawing realism, even if you've got it stylized to use lines, the nose is one of those things you've got to be careful of.

Also, when you shade, try using the side of your pencil. If you're using a mechanical pencil, try small circles.

This chart may help:
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/2100/chart1u.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/chart1u.png/)
This is how I was taught shading. Make yourself a value key like the one above and stick to it. You can have values in between the boxes, but you're gonna want to get your base values down first. So, looking at Eric, I'd have to assume his top lip, buttons, and fret dots would have to be your darkest dark, and his pick guard, cuffs, and upper face would be the lightest light.

Looking back up at that paragraph, I'm terrible at explaining. Here, this website (http://juliannakunstler.com/art1_valuescale.html) is better at explaining it.

Mr_Liebe
03-27-2012, 05:31 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/037-1.jpg

I drew TinTin yesterday, thought it'd be fun, also I needed practice drawing at 3/4, s you can see I need to work quite a bit on this, because I'd really rather not always draw characters facing forward, all stiff like so hey, ha ha ha. I drew this, because, well I loved the show as a kid, it was pretty awesome the opening theme always pumped me up.

corastaur
03-27-2012, 06:22 PM
Awwww it's tintin! :3 This is pretty good, it's nice to see that you're switching it up and practicing 3/4. The things that strike me right away are that his head is flat at back - it's like his head cuts off once you go past his ear - also his hands need work. Other people have said this, but it really is important to practice drawing things like hands and anatomy. I mean personally I struggle drawing hands and I'm planning on getting a small book and dedicating it to drawing them. Also I'm not sure what's going on with his legs/pants. It's bulging in strange places and he doesn't seem to have knees. I hope none of that seemed harsh, i do think you're showing improvement.
Here's the thing that's bothering me - I'm pretty sure that people have mentioned building up a person from basic shapes like the shapes on this guy:

http://howtodraweasy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/manikin0102.jpg

It's really really important to practice anatomy! No joke. I spent quite some time just drawing bodies without clothes (both with poses from reference and poses I made in my mind). Even though it may seem boring, I would love to see some pictures of just anatomy and/or hand practice from you. If we can see how you draw a person's body when they aren't clothed then it's easier to help correct any minor anatomy mistakes. Feel free to draw them in swimsuits if you want to. Then later when you go to put clothes on them you'll have avoided things like the random bulge on his leg or his shoulder sloping down at a weird angle. ;) You can feel free to ignore me, but I really do think it would help you improve as an artist! Regardless of all that keep up the good work and keep practicing! :)

Mr_Liebe
03-29-2012, 01:43 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/024-2.jpg

I think I'm going to do a series of these along with the musician series, be great practice, though to be honest, drawing anything is great practice, ha ha ha. I know the left arm is shit, and I tried really hard to draw it the best I could, but no dice, and as for the nose, I know, no hard lines, but I didn't know a better way to draw it, sorry Ged.

Rubisko
03-29-2012, 05:15 PM
This last one look better than the stuff you posted a few pages back, practice pays off I guess :)

Since you take photographs of all your drawings I wonder if you could find a way get the drawing parallel to the camera, it's hard to give a critique when image is tilted backwards. when sketching, try to use long and loose strokes. Use your shoulder, not your wrist.

Rubisko
03-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Because you get a larger radius, so that you you can make the long confident lines I was talking about. It's also much more comfortable ;)

Mr_Liebe
04-03-2012, 01:07 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/025-2.jpg

I've been wanting to draw a catwoman for a long time, I mean you gotta love them, ha ha ha. Yeah, I know there isn't a tail, you know it's just that I don't know how to draw the tail so good. Anyways, I'm going to be doing a series of these as well, in different poses, I was going to draw one crawling, like in Crilley's video, but, seeing as I'm still new to drawing poses, I'd start with something simpler like this. Most of it is drawn without a reference, the legs, though, I needed a reference for them. Lol, I still need to work on them.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/026-2.jpg

Compared to the other ref drawing I did not long ago, this really doesn't look much like the pic. I tried to draw David Spade, it no come out good, ha ha ha, I think it came out looking like a really cartoony version of David, which is disappointing, as some of you can tell, I'm trying my best to draw as realistically as I can. I guess I failed there, my bad.

I've decided I'm going to start sketching again, as you saw with the catwoman, drawing two pics a week isn't cutting it, and I need more practice, so I've decided to try and sketch something everyday. I won't be uploading every single little sketch, don't worry, it's just going to be the ones I think are good enough. Hopefully, this'll help me to do a much better job on my reference work.

Shadowsfade
04-08-2012, 03:03 PM
I did a little google / posemaniac search to help ya out with the legs for the catgirl. I think you probably need to make the thighs longer, atm they seem a little short. I wasn't sure the exact kneeling pose you were going for, so I found 3 different refs, hopefully one of them will help you out :)
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/howtodrawanimegirlsstep.jpg/
http://media.photobucket.com/image/anime+kneeling+/shadowz_twg/anime/girl_04.jpg
http://www.posemaniacs.com/archives/1219

hopefully they help. I can't really comment on the guy as I never really draw them so xD it does look reasonably realistic though i think :) maybe you could add some darker shading to the shirt to give it a bit of depth and show folds in it, atm it looks a little flat

NWAP
04-09-2012, 02:19 AM
I feel you haven't been getting the attention you need. From here on out i'm going to help you as closely as I can. As for the previous two I cant really say much. I would love to red line the David spade pic, but its a ref pic of realism. It would really help from here on out, if you could post your ref. along with your pic, so I can see how you think, and how to help you get better.

Mr_Liebe
04-10-2012, 05:14 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/027-2.jpg

this is from several days ago.

Gedeon
04-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Pretty good. the only thing i see wrong is the chin. it might be a little big. also i think you should have tried to do the mane in more of a shading way instead of trying to literally draw it.

Mr_Liebe
04-17-2012, 04:36 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/028-2.jpg

I tried Rubisko, but I don't think this came out so good, so if you like I could try my hands at another Frank Zappa pic.

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/5100000/Frank-Zappa-frank-zappa-5107405-640-624.jpg

Here's the ref pic, Nwap.

nextweek
04-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Hey thar! These are some nice pics you got! If I could give u a pointer when it comes to portraiture it would be to really bring out the shadows. The human face contains a lot of shadows and it's what will make the drawing less flat. When looking for facial shadows... look at the cheeks, forehead, lips, and chin. Most importantly, the nose. You need to really add all these shadows to create a realistic face. The Iris also has many shades to it as well. And lastly, just remember there is always room to go darker. A easy thing to look over is how light your shadows are... darker darker darker all the time.

Anyway! You do have some nice lines in this drawing. You just need to build on them more. It's a really good start though!

Also, do you draw portraits flat like on a desk looking down? I have found that it is better to draw portraits with the paper at an angle. If you draw on a flat surface, the drawing will have a tendency to distort itself because you are looking at the drawing from a different angle.

Anywho. I hope I was helpful and not too critical. Have fun drawing portraits! :)

NWAP
04-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Thank you for posting the ref this time. I can really pin point your issues now.

I need you to stop thinking in "lines", and start thinking in shapes and proportions.In your picture I can see how you looked at the shapes of his eyes, eye brows and mustache and copied them pretty well. The problem is you are "improvising", especially when it comes to hair.
When you draw hair, don't try and draw each "strand" with a single line. Look at the basic shape of the hair as a "whole" or look at the shapes of "Locks" of hair.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff222/Falcon17_bucket/basicshapes.jpg

When it comes to faces, after drawing something, Like his eye for example, ask yourself "proportional questions".Example: "whats bigger in the ref, his eye or his mouth? Why doesn't blank look like blank in the ref?" Don't be afraid to get a ruler out if you have to and measure things. when drawing from a ref its a lot more of training your eye to see details than drawing skill.
All in all for your next ref drawing put your full focus into getting the correct Shape and Size.

Gedeon
04-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Agreed with the two dudes above. Your drawings will look a lot better with more shadows. And one thing i do with hair when i draw trad, is that i try and get the outline of the hair right and all that is inside i shade & highlight.

Rubisko
04-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Yeah, what Ninja said makes a lot of sense; the purpose of your studies is to understand the the translation from objects in 3d-space to a flat surface. I'm glad you posted the reference however, because it's kinda bad as a study reference. The picture is taken with a flash from the front, eliminating all the shadows from the shapes, which makes them really hard to understand. Try using something like this (http://secretsociety.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/zappa.jpg) or this (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sY65vqxrwQo/T0Fa65MF7PI/AAAAAAAACnc/gitFFtmVFuU/s1600/chungas_revenge_1024_768.jpg) instead.

Inksprout
04-20-2012, 08:59 PM
just wanted to add that I think you're really improving, and I'm glad you're really sticking out people's crits and taking them on board :)

Rubisko
04-23-2012, 03:52 AM
what do you think? What kind of artist do you want to be? I think only you are able to answer that. The important thing is that you think it's fun to do your art, if you tell us your goal then there's a good chance that someone can point you the right direction

Rubisko
04-23-2012, 04:56 AM
Yeah, realistic goals is good, but there's nothing wrong with a vision to top it either. Getting comics published seems to be a cool thing, and it's good to know because I think if that's the case you are a bit off doing portraits from photo ref. Read Loomis' "Fun with a pencil" if you haven't already, it's great. Start doing figure drawings, study perspective. Start doing comic strips or something and try to get a local newspaper to print them in their publication, they often have an interest in promoting young local artists. Or do whatever you think is best, this is just what I would've done :)

-Al
04-23-2012, 10:30 AM
hey u have definitely improved! first thing i would like to point out is front lighting kinda flats out the forms..so try avoiding references with front lighting. when you draw its good to stay zoomed out. walk back a few steps from you drawing/ use a mirror but always focus on the big picture. and its always good to block in the shapes first with angles..like straight long lines and gradually move into the details.

when ever you start to draw its always better to think about your drawing. if your drawing from photos spend some time analyzing it ...whats going on, y is that happening..and try to do it from memory. analyzing is the most important part. gradually u will be able to draw your concepts, stories down. if you are studying the fundamentals .. perspective etc. try to see hows it is used in your references, other artists works , even real life. Understanding the concept is really crucial.
drawing comics or anything from your memory will be a piece of cake then.

Shadowsfade
04-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Yeah, I agree with Rubisko's advice. I don't know much about drawing actual comics, but to me, whilst realistic portraits are good, help give you a good sense of real body proportions to emulate in your art, and if you have an interest in doing them ofc you should still do them for fun, but if comic writing is what you want to do, i'd say focus more on getting your full body proportions nailed really well, so you can start practicing dynamic poses - comics often have fight scenes etc etc. also have a go writing short stories or something, to start getting used to creating a good and gripping story which you can later transfer into comics with pictures :) but you have improved lots since you've started!

NWAP
04-25-2012, 01:12 PM
I have a very improtant question to ask... am I even on the right track towards becoming a good artist? I don't know, seems I'm floundering at this time, maybe I'm trying things to advanced, and should go back to basics, what do you people think?

I dont think there is any "right track" besides drawing on a regular basis and asking for help. I think no matter what artist you want to become you need to actually TAKE THE TIME to do it right. I've noticed you mention time and time again that you should take more time to fill in the details. You have the knowledge, take the time to put it into practice. Stop worrying about "am I improving? How can I improve faster?" Put your focus on the QUALITY of your work. This may mean having to redraw things several times, stopping a drawing half way to do some research or look at refs so you can know how to proceed. Yes, this takes time, but whats more important? And like I said, you already have the knowledge, so if you spend more time focusing on quality, you'll most likely improve faster than you think.

nisaren
04-25-2012, 02:40 PM
To back up what NWAP said. There was an article I read a couple months ago which said that in order to work at the level of a master in any field over 10,000 hours of practice and work must be completed. Consider how many hours a day you spend drawing and you can calculate how long it will take you to be at the level of some master artists. If you draw only 2 hours a day every day, it will take you a little over 13 and a half years to achieve the level of a master. Many people in design schools or other art institutions spend 10 or more hours a day working on projects or other art assignments which gives them an impressive head start compared to people practicing on their own for a couple hours here and there.

How can you improve faster then? Spend more time each day drawing and sketching. There are no shortcuts.

Mr_Liebe
05-04-2012, 08:17 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/029-2.jpg

Go ahead and rip them, I know they're terrible, I tried and tried kept erasing the first one until I did it the last time and kept it like that. Would've been a waste of time to keep at that so I just drew them, and figured I'd do better at them once I got some advice from the artists on this site.

AlmanacnamedTime
05-04-2012, 08:38 PM
make sure the fingers are not too fat and the fingertips are round in manga(even realistic manga) fingernails are not so defined.
another thing, when you do hands, look at yours, and see which fingers are the longest. it goes in this order(highest-lowest) Middle>Ring>Pointer>Pinkie>Thumb.
in the upper right specifically, dont draw lines so large to show knuckles. draw smaller ones that dont go all the way around and slightly angle to hand, whick is really never completely flat. on the knuckles where the fingers begin, make sure that they're round. last thing, the hand narrows downas it gets closer to the wrist.

AlmanacnamedTime
05-05-2012, 04:40 PM
you are welcome. you wait. i'll see.

Cloudy
05-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Fill more pages with hands many many more, then move onto the next body part :)

Cloudy
05-08-2012, 12:58 AM
If you want to be good at anything you have to put in the time, as for money, I don't spend much money on my art hobby at all, I bought a tablet 5 years ago that cost me around $200 (something nice family could get you for a birthday or christmas present)

then it was bye bye paper and hello digital art.

JJJorgie
05-08-2012, 01:08 AM
Yeah, what Cloudy said. If you want to get good at something and be passionate about it, you have to invest your whole self into it. But, if you're concerned about money, there are a lot of cheap alternatives as far as art supplies goes.

Cloudy
05-08-2012, 01:24 AM
I used to just use photocopy paper, usual pencils and a decent soft eraser and that was it. wasn't that expensive.

JJJorgie
05-08-2012, 01:33 AM
I myself prefer pencil and paper.

Cloudy
05-08-2012, 03:31 AM
I don't know about where you live but for me a pack of pencils is like 3 dollars, pack of copy paper 500 sheets is around 7 dollars and under. so thats only like 10 dollars...but anyway.

I've been drawing on paper since i was a kid and learned all those tricks with it so feel free to do whatever you like, I just prefer tablet now, easy, clean and looks professional.

as for crits, I don't see anything that needs a crit so far, if you are using refs keep on using them and get your eye coordination up.

Mr_Liebe
05-12-2012, 10:56 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/030-2.jpg

Well, fire away.

Sylux
05-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Heavy lines mannnnnn

AlmanacnamedTime
05-12-2012, 11:08 PM
last one on the right heads too small.

Sylux
05-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Long torsooooos

AlmanacnamedTime
05-12-2012, 11:20 PM
legs = 1/2 body = torso + head. < I use this.

AlmanacnamedTime
05-12-2012, 11:23 PM
ja, what is your favorite style of manga?

Mr_Liebe
05-12-2012, 11:25 PM
I like George Morikawas way of drawing. Yu Yu Hakusho's Togashi, and Rosario + Vamire's Ikeda's style is cool, too.

AlmanacnamedTime
05-12-2012, 11:29 PM
morikawa what?

Mr_Liebe
05-12-2012, 11:34 PM
He's the author of Hajime no ippo.

AlmanacnamedTime
05-12-2012, 11:39 PM
ok, pick which style is your favorite, (like for me, i modified yagi norihiro's style to fit what i thaought my story would be good like) and then look at where everything goes, how much detail. then copy pose with own oc. repeat.
^i swear is just a suggestion.

Mr_Liebe
05-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Well, I like Morikawa's style and poses, be a good ref or something for a boxing manga I want to do.

Togashi was always good with the action scenes, and was good with the expressions, and some nice epic scenes.

Ikeda.... god damn, I love that one bdsm teacher character of his.

Personally, it's hard to decide which style to learn from. I'm not sure I even want to do this, I mean it's copying.... then again, it's not like I'll keep doing it exactly like they do it, I'll eventually find my own way, eh...

AlmanacnamedTime
05-12-2012, 11:57 PM
you do multiple. then make one out of all the stuff you like.
^my advice

Mr_Liebe
05-13-2012, 12:04 AM
I think I'm gonna go with Togashi's style. Maybe with a bit of his wife's style, I always liked how she drew women.

Hm, other than all this, am I doing okay? I know I should focus more on the drawing than the progress I'm making, but well, feels nice to know.

Sylux
05-13-2012, 12:30 AM
Oh dear god, Rosario + Vampire...

Mr_Liebe
05-13-2012, 12:37 AM
What, I like Vampires.

Sylux
05-13-2012, 12:46 AM
The show confused the hell out of me. I grew up watching Shōnen anime my entire life. Hokuto no Ken and Dragonball Z had the biggest influence on my art for the longest time. Rosario + Vampire was actually my first shojou harem or whatever, and I just watched it all on Thursday.

Mr_Liebe
05-13-2012, 12:59 AM
I grew up on shonen, too, Mecha, and other stuff like Sailor Moon, some of the stuff was just awesome.

My first harem was Tenchi Muyo, man, that was just awesome. Great characters, great animation, great cast, great stories, and the writing? Lol, it was racy, just the way I like mah writing, ha ha ha.

Sylux
05-13-2012, 01:14 AM
I don't like how they wrote off Mikuru as so fairly weak. It's probably all Kodos's fault but I see Succubi as extremly powerful, almost godlike creatures.

Mr_Liebe
05-13-2012, 01:26 AM
I always saw them as being badass monsters like Pixie from Monster Rancher, firing lightning bolts out of their finger tips, energy balls from their hands, having enormous physical strength, deadly speed, some sort of one monster army.

Rubisko
05-13-2012, 04:20 AM
What are you guys going on about? How can anyone discuss succubi without the mention of "The Morning After"? Shame on you

Anyway Liebe, you need to focus on making your drawings read in three dimensions. I've said it before; read Andrew Loomis book "Fun with a Pencil". It's free and it's fun ;)

Shadowsfade
05-13-2012, 08:06 AM
lookin' good liebe :) the breasts are looking much more natural now you dont draw the whole circle. I think you need to do a bit of work on arms - all 3 of the girls' arms are really thin, and point in so much at the elbow they pretty much dont exist - not like that in real life :) the girl in the middle's arm raised to her head, the position of the arm doesnt work - to have the bend of the elbow in line with the top of the head, the arm has to be basically next to the head - try the pose out for yourself and see :) her other arm is sorta ok, but you need more of an actual point to show the bend of the elbow, as the outside line just looks like a smooth curve, which doesnt work.

good to see you doing more drawing though, keep it coming!

Mr_Liebe
05-13-2012, 08:39 PM
You mean draw them in 3d? Hm, do you think I'd be able to do that? As for the book, I've no money to order it, and I don't want to risk getting a virus for an E-Book, I'll see if I can find something on that on youtube. As a side note, that's one of my fave SP eps.... by the way... I need about tree fiddy.

So, you're saying I'm having the same problems I had with legs? Hm, so in center, I need to remember to draw it wide to indicate the elbow, okay, as for the rest.... ah it'll work itself out, I just need more practice with arms. Thank you, you two.

Mr_Liebe
05-13-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm working on a sexy new girl, ha ha ha, but, you know, I've been thinking. I should really learn about the male anatomy, and start drawing some male figures, maybe revisit Richard 'The Wild' Mann ((Bear didn't fit, I realized that, lol)), as I really haven't spent a lot of time working on abs and other muscles. So after this drawing I'll be posting pics of men for anatomy practice and muscle and abs practice. I'll be looking for some tuts on youtube, maybe Jay French has a tut on drawing the male figure, and the other things I need help with, but, if you guys know any good vids or tuts please link them to me, thank you.

God damn, those would've been good options for the poll, ha ha ha, oh well.

butternut
05-14-2012, 01:35 AM
I happen to have the pdf of the Andrew Loomis book. I could send it to ya..

Mr_Liebe
05-14-2012, 01:36 AM
That would be immensily helpful, sure, pm it to me whenever you have time.

nisaren
05-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Or you can just go to this website - http://alexhays.com/loomis/ which has all of his books for you to download.

Keep drawing and working on your proportions. It would be good to see more progress pictures of your pieces. Seeing your construction lines could help us see where you're going wrong and help you with your proportions before you invest too much time in the piece.

Mr_Liebe
05-14-2012, 04:00 PM
I'll keep drawing and working on my proportions, yeah, I think I'm doing better with them now, then I was a while ago. Progress pieces.... like before I add in the details of the drawing, upload the basic outline of it? I might consider doing that if it proves faster than just finishing the drawing and uploading that. Thank you.

Shadowsfade
05-15-2012, 11:36 AM
It might not be faster as you might have to put the pic off for a day or 2 before you finish, but it can be more helpful to post the wip, coz then you can go back and make changes to the actual drawing - you learn better than just trying to remember what to do next time, fixing it yourself shows you how it should be done :)

nisaren
05-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Don't think of this as a speed thing, it's always about quality. It's better to show us your work in it's earlier stages because you haven't spent a lot of time on the piece already and you don't feel as committed to the lines you've drawn. So it's easier to accept criticism and then make the changes needed to make the piece look better.

As Shadowsfade said above, it's much better to fix a piece. It allows you to gain a much more intimate knowledge of the problem and it's possible solutions than waiting to apply your new knowledge to another new piece. You're training your eye to see these things the next time they come up. If you keep making these corrections eventually they'll come naturally as you work.

Mr_Liebe
05-16-2012, 05:44 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/031-2.jpg

I see what you mean, here's what I have so far of this piece.

AlmanacnamedTime
05-16-2012, 05:47 PM
gigantic hips. to tiny head. also legs should not be super thick.

is your art pad by canson?

Mr_Liebe
05-16-2012, 05:49 PM
bigger head ,smaller hips, thinner legs, check.

Yes, yes it is.

AlmanacnamedTime
05-16-2012, 05:54 PM
those are my favorite, take a lot of abuse.
also just looked at something i had awhile ago:

width of hips = 1 and 1/4 width of chest on attractive females, and males width of chests and hips are =.

youd said you wanted stuff like this i think. if not then sory to clutter your thread.

Mr_Liebe
05-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Dude, man, I made almost half of the posts in this thread, and I think half of those, maybe more, are clutter posts, so don't worry about it.

Anyways, yeah, that's the kind of advice I love. I feel it makes drawing so much easier, you know, cause if you draw this that size, you'll have some sort of reference on how big, or whater, to draw that. It's very helpful.

Was the whip drawn okay?

AlmanacnamedTime
05-16-2012, 06:03 PM
bout as good as my first female figure. and better then my first male one. girls are easier to draw for me for some reason.

Mr_Liebe
05-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Considering all my years of checking out babelicious women, you'd think my female figure drawings would be better, ha ha ha. Oh, but.... shit... I forgot, I should start drawing male figures, lol, I spent too much time on women. I also need to start working on perspective and back grounds. I've been working on a cave background, I'll post that up one day.

nisaren
05-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Lol, I think we all like to draw what we like to look at. :) When I get home in a couple hours I can draw you a quick red line if you'd like.

Mr_Liebe
05-17-2012, 04:51 PM
I would prefer some tips on male anatomy, actually, cause all I know is that a males hips are more narrow than his shoulders.

I've been thinking of another goal, not sure if it's really realistic, but I'd like to one day be able to draw good enough to do commissions.

nisaren
05-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Okay, there's a few defining traits for male and female anatomy aside from the obvious presence or lack of certain parts.

In general, male anatomy is more angular and muscles are more pronounced than females. This is because males generally have a lower body fat percentage than females. As you mentioned the shoulders to hip ratio is even or even skewed towards the shoulders being a bit larger than the hips. Hips are quite a bit larger in females because they need to be able to support a child during pregnancy (obvious, I know).

One thing that I noticed in your progress picture is that you seem to stack on body regions - especially through the torso region. You have the rib cage on top of the abdominal area which is on top of the hip/pelvic region which causes your drawings to have really long torsos. When I do my construction lines I draw only an egg shape for the head, vertical line for the spine, horizontal line for the shoulders and hips. You can tack on limbs from there. This way you're not worrying about specific body parts fitting in but making sure that the overall proportions of the body are correct.

I'm sure you know what I mean but here's a picture I had done previously to illustrate this point.
http://i.imgur.com/0DK1V.png

Some other general rules for the body:

1. The legs make up approximately 1/2 the height of the person (from hips down).
2. Hands should be about the same length as the vertical height of the face.
3. When standing with hands at one's side, the hand only reaches about halfway down the thigh
4. Shoulders are generally twice the width of the head (in adults; different in chibi or younger children or if you're making an exaggeration on anatomy - think the Hulk)

You may know some of these already, but they're things that I think about when I draw and something doesn't look quite right. Hope it helps a little.

Mr_Liebe
05-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Looks like someone is a little unclear on the definition of some, ha ha ha, I kid, wow, this is great. Yes, I do know some of these thing, but it never hurts to remind me, as I am a bit forgetful. The new advice is great, as well, more of this stuff I know the better I can improve, I really appreciate this. Stacking of regions, well, I don't know, I don't know all the proportions well enough, I don't know, maybe sometime and looking through the notes you've given me, I might be able to work that flaw out.

nisaren
05-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Knowledge is power. :X Lol. Now back to playing me some Diablo 3.

Mr_Liebe
05-19-2012, 10:20 PM
I like Skyrim, myself.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/032-2.jpg

I've attempted to try drawing in highlights, but not to this degree, I was unsure wether I should not have left them white, maybe they'd look better if I colored in with a black prisma, or if I touched up the highlights with a bit of grey....((Gray? one of those things I never could get right)). As for the head, well.... yeah, went with the gag because I couldn't get the lips right. Anyways, fire away.

Rubisko
05-20-2012, 03:53 AM
yes, you should blend the highlights with the darker values in some way. In it's current state I can't tell what material her suit is made of, I can make a qualified guess based on the subject but I can't decide for certain. Use reference, different materials reflect light differently. You should also try to think about the 3d shapes the whole body can be built by, the basic stuff; legs looks like cylinders etc etc. and how they look expressed in light and shadow.

ram
05-20-2012, 04:14 AM
Lol she looks like she has a butt in the front side XD, you shouldn't highlight shapes that's not identical the actual shape of the body.

How is it even possible for her to have a circle highlight in the front?
Rather than light source I suggest you practice shape first, and highlight those shapes.

Mr_Liebe
05-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Lol, it's latex, I used a reference, well I just looked at it for a few seconds, I like trying to draw new effects and the like without reference. Thanks for the advice, Rubi. I appreciate it.

I think I'm going to give up on the whole manga idea, until I see real progress from myself. Same with the whole commisions talk, it's useless to think about that if I'm unable to draw better than I am now.

Anyways, my next piece is going to be a male figure drawing. Nothing special, I think I'm going to try and practice ab muscles, along with other muscles on this piece, as I've really only worked on ab muscles and the like on my OC, so look forward to that.

I've decided that I will start on the 100 theme challange. So, please expect to see sprinklings of drawings of those themes in my uploads.

nisaren
05-21-2012, 10:32 AM
It's always good to have a goal to work towards. You don't need to abandon making a manga or taking commissions just don't try to put a time limit on your improvement. Giving yourself deadlines for improvement tends to hinder rather than help since you'll be stressed out and if you don't improve fast enough you'll think yourself a failure. You'll get there as long as you keep working on it.

I think you're onto something doing body studies. Just make sure you work strictly from reference for a while and not as much from memory. Build up your visual library so you have a lot more to pull from when you actually do work without reference. Good luck!

Psy
05-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Hi Liebe.
This is just some of my general advice to you. Stare. Alot. if you are using reff then stare at it alot. going from memory before you are ready will give you some funky results. When you look at reff stare past the picture and at the shapes that make up the image. You will see squares triangles cylinders circles and rectangles all over. try to draw those shapes how you see in the image and remember it doesnt matter if the box you drew looks pointier than what you see in the image because you can come back later and soften it up. when you draw you must draw lightly because the harder you push into the paper the harder it is to remove that line if you need to. Dont draw on a flat table draw on something that you can move and that is paralel with your face (or is almost flat when you face it like your drawing surface -->\ O<----- your head and body) if not you will get this weird skewed drawing that looks off when you look at it straight on.
and as allways use reff.

Mr_Liebe
05-22-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't have an artists desk, or whatever they're called. Best I could do, improvising of course, set up the keyboard with that little pedestal for sheet music, and draw on that.

AlmanacnamedTime
05-22-2012, 01:42 PM
^^ listen to psy. he knows his stuff.

also remember highlights dont usually happen on both sides of a curve. mainly on one side and they will come at an angle. highlights are also not so... excessive? sometime I'll upload a pic to show you. last thing is that the head seemed awkward. you are improving though.

Mr_Liebe
05-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Anyways, thank you Psy, that's some pretty solid advice. I guess I don't spend to much time really just staring at my references, not long enough to envision the shapes that they are composed of, anyways, I guess I still have a long way to go before I develope the patience of an artist. Of course, I still need to work my lines, I don't know why it's so hard for me, lol, maybe I just need to practice that more, maybe that'll be cured with many months of drawing.

Which side should the highlight be on, then? How will I know, will that also come with practice?

Listen, I really do appreciate all of you guy's advice, and I apologize if I seem to be short with you ((Nyuck Nyuck Nyuck)), but I'm just very annoyed with myself that I'm struggling so much with all of this. I assure you, I'm not angry with any of you, I'm angry with myself.

Psy
05-22-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't have an artists desk, or whatever they're called. Best I could do, improvising of course, set up the keyboard with that little pedestal for sheet music, and draw on that.

Look into an artist board, thats what I use. a clipboard is an option to since most artist boards are huge and over $15. you will just have to get used to holding the clipboard with your less dominant hand or propping it up on something. with the artist board you can hold onto it or lean it against a table or what ever and sitting on your lap.

Mr_Liebe
05-22-2012, 02:03 PM
I feel stupid now, I never even took clipboard into consideration, man, that's brilliant. Thank you, Psy, you da man ((lol, remember that phrase?))

Mr_Liebe
05-22-2012, 09:08 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/033-2.jpg

I know you said use a reference, and I did, but eventually I just tackled it on my own, sorry Psy. Just, that I feel I'll be able to better distinguish between using a ref, and not using one, to better reinforce in my mind why it's best to use a reference. I'm going to do another study, this time, using a reference to completion, I was looking around on google looking for references, and I wanted to use Toguro as a reference, on of the pics of him all roided the hell up, but then decided to use Jacob ((Yes, that Jacob)) as a reference , because when I seriously draw Toguro, I'd like it to be as bad ass as He was in YYH.

Sutari
05-22-2012, 11:20 PM
I agree with Psy about STARING. I didn't know how to put it into words, but he is right. You have to look at something long enough/enough times to make your brain remember how it works. it depends on how long you have to spend time on learning. The problem usually isn't learning how to draw, its learning how to learn how to draw. This might be a bad example, but I read H manga and/or Shounen manga every other day (sometimes daily). But when i read them, I slow down and analyze every pose, and find out the author's thought process. It didn't seem like i was getting anywhere doing it, but one day I randomly wanted to draw someone jumping out of the way of something that was coming at him. And I was amazed when i knew how the legs bent, but couldnt remember ever studying it. Maybe it is my brain that works strange, but you should never give up learning. That is the only time anyone ever fails, when they quit :V

Mr_Liebe
05-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Rei, I 'm not sure you know how much that last part means to me, how it resonates inside my mind, like intonation of a ringing bell. It makes me feel better knowing that I haven't truly failed, thank you. Thank you, Rei, I always thought that your one of the good ones, thank you.
I'll make a note on paper to stare, really look at the poses, and see the shapes, man.

Shadowsfade
05-23-2012, 01:13 PM
I know you don't like using references, but you really should more! they let you start to draw some more dynamic poses, rather than just characters face-on, or with a leg or arm bent - when i first started this is exactly what i did! but as i started using posemaniacs/random google references for my pics, the pics become much more dynamic - and as the others said, the more you use references, subconsciously you start to understand better realistic poses and proportions, which you can then translate into drawings without references, or with just a little check of a reference to check you're drawing it right. If you really don't want to use references for your proper drawings, do some full body sketches from somewhere like posemaniacs, without going into all the detail of adding clothes and hair and expressions etc - this will at least get you practice with different poses and proportions which will help you out for your proper drawings! but as sut said, dont give up - everyone has to start somewhere, no one ever picked up a pen for the first time and made a masterpiece!

JJJorgie
05-24-2012, 09:21 AM
I think you and I think the same, Liebe. You probably want to draw things on your own. I never wanted to use references because it felt like I was kind of "cheating" off the reference's artist. If that's not how you feel ignore this. But, if that is how you feel, you draw using a reference for practice. You don't have to post the pictures.

Also, if using a reference for a picture starts boring you before you've finished the picture, take a break from it.

Mr_Liebe
05-24-2012, 08:38 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/034-1.jpg

The first of many muscle anatomy studies, this time I used the reference the whole time. so hopefully it's better than the last one I did, ha ha ha.

JJJorgie
05-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Mucho Bien! Though, the belly button is kind of funny looking :) I like it! Also, the abs are a little uneven and the nipples might be too low. I'm not an expert on male anatomy, though. Would you mind putting up the reference?

Mr_Liebe
05-24-2012, 08:47 PM
http://www.trainbodyandmind.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Abdominal-Muscles-04.jpg

JJJorgie
05-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Okay, I see. His body is crookedy kind of. That would explain the uneveness.

Mr_Liebe
05-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Liebe do good?

JJJorgie
05-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Haha, very good as far as I can see! But, if you're not doing the whole body, you may want to even it out so other people don't do what I did.

Mr_Liebe
05-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Like with the top portions of the arm?

JJJorgie
05-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Yeah, and maybe adding some leg (one in front on the other) since he's taking a step forward because that's the whole reason he's twisted.

Mr_Liebe
05-24-2012, 09:13 PM
I wanted to focus on the ab muscles, but I see what you mean.

JJJorgie
05-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Totally understandable :)

Mr_Liebe
05-24-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm going to do a few more reference drawings like this, then maybe I'll start doing ref pieces of male manga characters... I've been wanting to draw Gene Starwind for a while, so look forward to that.

Rubisko
05-25-2012, 01:28 AM
I like how you used lighter lines on the last one than you used for previous stuff. Liebe do good!

Mr_Liebe
05-25-2012, 01:51 AM
Liebe do good, then feel good, ho ho ho.

Joking aside, thank you all.

Demonfyre
05-25-2012, 07:10 AM
Your pictures look good :D the only thing I can suggest is when drawing hard lines to make them flow smoothly rather than etching your way along. If you can do that your art should hopefully look even better ^_^ however its hard to get used to, I should know I still suck at it but it does make a difference and is worth investing your time in :)

Hope I helped somewhat :D

trilokcool3
05-25-2012, 11:13 AM
You don't have use realistic references most of the time. Use references which shows outlines and various focusing areas . ( may be using realistic pics just don't allows your eyes to focus on specific areas . Ha ha just happens with me and may be happening with you).
Look out how muscles connected and look out for joints .

Mr_Liebe
05-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Work on my lines ((I fear this may take me years and years to get rid of my habits))

Look for joints, and.... use a mix of realistic pics and semi realistic pics? That may help me learn some of the curves and things better, I don't know, maybe.

Demonfyre
05-25-2012, 06:10 PM
^ don't worry drawing lines without hesitations is difficult or at least it was for me (i'm still working on it) but if your determined it shouldn't take you long to get decent at it :D what helped me was just getting a random peice of paper and drawing straight lines that spanned the whole sheet of paper just all over the place :) i'm not sure why it helped but it did :L

http://radiantdreamer.net/photoshop-tutorials/how-to-draw-better-line-art/

Use that link above, that really helped me improve my lines :)

Mr_Liebe
05-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Hm, so... just draw lines on a piece of paper, and that'll solve my problem eventually? Well, whatever helps, thank you.

I'll be posting the first drawing for the 100 theme challange, a chibi, ha ha ha, fun stuff. Also, I'll be uploading some fan art, it's not of any character, it's more a fan depiction of one of my favorite scenes from one of my favorite movies, I'll be uploading that in an hour, maybe an hour and a half.

Mr_Liebe
05-27-2012, 08:57 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/035-2.jpg

Here's the first drawing for the 100 theme challange, a chibi version of myself. Hopefully it counts. Lol, I was going to have him say 'I'm not a smart man, but, FUCK YOU!!' but that sounded a little too angry. Obviously it's a parody of another scene from a certain movie I adore. gee... I wonder if you people can guess which movie is, lol.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/036-2.jpg

This is one of my favorite scenes in the movie, the way the feather just fluttered down from the sky, sort of dancing in the air, the whole orchestra playing, it's a very nice, serene scene. I'm not sure I captured it well enough.

Bacon_Barbarian
05-28-2012, 02:58 PM
I realize the first picture is a chibi, but the way his arm (the one attached to the bird flippin' hand) is positioned is something that would be super awkward/sort of painful. Also, since you'd be twisting your writs, his thumb is on the wrong side. Also, the ... legs(?) of the glasses ... Don't be afraid to not draw those. They're attached to your ears which are covered by your hair, yeah?

Have you ever considered inking your work? I think it would help you a lot, especially if you don't have a scanner.

Mr_Liebe
05-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Please forgive me for begging for crits in such a pitiful way

Lol, maybe I should've spent more time on the basic outline of the chibi before getting into the details, so more time on basic skeleton, and I should study more about anatomy, it's probably better than it has been in the past, but it's clear I still need work. As for the... I don't know what they're called either, ha ha ha, well, chibi are supposed to be very cartoony, yes? I figured it'd look kind've funny if the handles of the glasses were askew, but it might;ve been better to keep them hidden by the hair.

Inking? You think I should start inking? I suppose I might, help you help me by making the lines easier to see, thus make it easier for you guys to see the flaws in my work... I'l see if I can find an inking pen when I'm in town.

Thank you Bacon, I really appreciate your crit.

JJJorgie
05-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Might I suggest you just working on outlines? I think you'd learn more if you only focus on the outlines until you get more experienced. No shading.

AlmanacnamedTime
05-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Might I suggest you just working on outlines? I think you'd learn more if you only focus on the outlines until you get more experienced. No shading.

try it.

Mr_Liebe
05-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Nah, I like to focus on sveral things at once, I feel I make more progress that way.

Demonfyre
05-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Hm, so... just draw lines on a piece of paper, and that'll solve my problem eventually? Well, whatever helps, thank you.

Yeah I know, sounds like a ridiculous but it does help :) and your welcome!

I'll be posting the first drawing for the 100 theme challange

Good luck :D

In regards to JJJorgie's suggestion, you can still draw all squiggly to get the general outlines for your drawing then you can pen it or whatever you choose but make sure that all these new lines you make over the working lines are extremely straight and most importantly without hesitations and then you can remove all the working lines used to get the initial shapes :) not only will it look better but it should also increase the confidence of your lines with time :) you should only do this though if your finding it difficult to make clean lines and get placements right. Look at it as a precursor to get you started if your having a hard time :)

Inking? You think I should start inking? I suppose I might, help you help me by making the lines easier to see, thus make it easier for you guys to see the flaws in my work... I'l see if I can find an inking pen when I'm in town.

Inking will help with making you stop making hesitations and such as lines have already been placed for you so its just in effect going over the outlines, also you may as well start now and get the experience I guess that is what im telling myself now that I have also started :L

JJJorgie
05-28-2012, 05:42 PM
Nah, I like to focus on sveral things at once, I feel I make more progress that way.

You may think you're making a lot more progress focusing on multiple things, but really it's just holding you back and slowing your learning down.

Mr_Liebe
05-28-2012, 08:22 PM
I'd make the same progress at the same pace eitherway. Maybe working on one thing at a time works for you, but it wouldn't work for me.

You know, it's been a bit of a while since my last portraiture((that spelled right?)) so I'm going to do one of Dustin Hoffman's Captain James Hook. So, look forward to that, it may take a while, I want to do a good job on this one, to make up for the pretty lackluster one of Frank Zappa.

Rubisko
05-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Yeah, so you still have the problem with showing off the geometry of your characters when you draw. I've said it before, and yes, I believe you can do this. In fact I think you must learn it in order to make progress. As I sat here and tried to find the best way to illustrate what I mean i got an idea. I don't know if it's a bad one, but in the spoiler tag you'll find three pages from my own sketchbook. I'm not thrilled to post them here, because they were never meant to be shown... Anyway, this is what I do everyday, as often as I can: doodles. I just draw arbitrary shapes, extend them in three dimensions, add new ones on top of existing ones, scraps it, moves on. Most of the time It doesn't work out, but since I'm the only one who sees it it really doesn't matter. But what i learn about those shapes while I doodle I then use when I draw and paint stuff that I intend to show others.
Maybe you do this already, and I just made a complete ass of myself, but somehow I get the feeling that you don't doodle much.
But yeah, my doodles looks like this (I guess they were even worse some years ago, but I throw most of 'em out, so I can't show you those):
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o608/jenbe753/P5301949.png

and I'm probably going to regret posting this pretty soon, and remove it, but I hope you get the gist of it. Bottom line; doodle more

Mr_Liebe
05-30-2012, 04:42 PM
I doubt someone like you could make an ass out of himself. In any case, you made the correct assessment, I don't doodle, or sketch much, I mean, I do sometimes, but not as much as I should. I guess I just want to focus on the drawings I want to show, guess I never thought sketching made much of a difference. I suppose I was wrong in that aspect. Please don't regret posting that, I needed to see it, I suppose, you're just being honest, it's all good. If anyone should regret, it's me, I seem to have a knack for sticking my head up my ass.

I liked your Frank Zappa avy better, just wanted to say so, Snarf's all right, though.

I'm going to upload a progress drawing of Captain Hook soon, please look forward to it.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/018.jpg

Is it looking better than my portraiture of Frank Zappa, at least?

Bacon_Barbarian
05-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Yes. Very much so yes. I'd say it's the best thing you've uploaded as of now.

Mr_Liebe
05-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Can you tell it's Dustin Hoffman's Captain Hook?

Bacon_Barbarian
05-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Haven't seen it, so I can't say. It's very obvious in general what you're going for however.

Demonfyre
05-30-2012, 08:37 PM
It's looking good Liebe :D and your outlines are doing much better now, keep up the good work :)

Captain Hook ftw

Gaff
05-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Dunno if there's much I can add at this stage, but be careful about the shape of his eyes. The shapes seem very regular at the moment, and that could end up looking unnatural. Generally, depending on what angle you're seeing them from, one of the eyelids will be noticeably curved and the other will be much flatter, closer to a straight line.

I know it's an easy thing to say, but try to really look hard at the shapes in your reference (assuming it's this photo (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sL9xCtAYXUE/TsvKPG_14AI/AAAAAAAAAso/R5JSWKaRKL0/s1600/Sweetly+Surprised+to+Meet+Dustin+Hoffman.jpg)). It's all too easy to end up drawing what you think an eye looks like instead of what it actually looks like in the picture. If you asked someone in the street to describe what an eye or a nose looked like, they'd probably come up with something like what's on the left, when in the photo, it's actually closer to the one on the right.

http://i.imgur.com/T1Buc.jpg

The mouth looks promising though, as does his 'tache.

Mr_Liebe
05-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks ,bro. Like I said earlier, I want it to be very great, better than anything I've drawn yet. I'd like to try and take my art to a higher level, so please expect more studies, in anatomy specifically new poses, and more backgrounds, of course, more sketches and doodlings.

I spent perhaps an hour and a half trying to make the mouth look good, it was very difficult, ha ha ha. Anyways, the eyes right now are just outlines, I'll be changing things up and adding some nice detailings in the 2nd phase of the drawing.

I just want to be sure, but the outline is like the basic form of something before you finalize the image and put in the details, yes?

Lol, I keep adding on to this message, don't I? I love Dustin Hoffman's performance as Captain Hook in Hook, he follows a distinct code of honor, and does his best to keep to his standards good form, but in the end, he's a villain, and he'll do whatever he can to win a fight.

Demonfyre
05-30-2012, 08:54 PM
That is one way of describing it, yes, i've got an example just let me find it.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/Demonfyre1/example-1.jpg

Sorry that the image is big, if you want me to remove it or make it smaller let me know!

Anyway that is personally what I would consider the 'outline' of the sketch once that is complete and you've got it all nice and clean then you would go into smaller details and shading etc. Normally my 'outline' would have been simpler, for example folding on the clothes and the designs on the skirt I wouldn't have put in until I had the body completely finalized and I was happy with it.

For Example:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/Demonfyre1/example.jpg

So in reality I have 2 outline constructs, the 'body' and then 'clothing' then I would move onto shading etc.

Hope that helps :)

Addon: On regards to your captain hook drawing personally I would have worked on the face and then the hair/hat separately, treating them both as separate outlines if that makes sense? But of course what works for me may not work for someone else so just experiment till you find what works for you I guess :)

Mr_Liebe
05-30-2012, 09:11 PM
I had already spent too much time on other things, and I know one is supposed to take their time, but I think I'm taking too much time.

trilokcool3
05-31-2012, 01:04 AM
You are doing a lot of things just randomly. As a result you don't get to practice what you want. First develop in some areas because acheiving that will give you strong inspirational emotions to jump 2 higher levels. As far many pics i have seen you have done i don't get that on what areas you want to improve (you must be sensing cofusing mind). I know you want to focus everything. But have control.

Mr_Liebe
05-31-2012, 01:21 AM
So pick a few things to work on, and focus on just those?

Like, perhaps, Poses, backgrounds, and maybe linework or anatomy?

trilokcool3
05-31-2012, 01:32 AM
Yes . Cover basics .

Mr_Liebe
05-31-2012, 01:39 AM
Aw, but Maaaaaaaaaa!

Lol, I guess, I just get so bored just drawing the same thing, and like to switch it up to keep myself interested, but in the interest of making progress, I guess I'll have to cover the basics.

trilokcool3
05-31-2012, 01:45 AM
If you get mastered in basics then i think you will able to do many things you like.
If you are bored do something what your mind tells . Just don't go for references all the time use when you are confused about something.

Mr_Liebe
05-31-2012, 01:49 AM
I see where you're coming from, I apologize for being a little overzealous.

Demonfyre
05-31-2012, 07:28 PM
Like JJJorgie suggested you should continue to work on outlines solely and drawing lines more confidently, you were making excellent progress so it shouldn't take you to much longer to get it under your belt if you were to work on it for a couple of days :)

Also you could incorporate line work together with something else, for example working on proportions or hands so your practicing line work but your drawing areas of difficulty at the same time, two birds with one stone and such :)

Mr_Liebe
05-31-2012, 09:47 PM
I'll do that after I finish Hook.

I think I might work on Anatomy, line work, and proportions..... and Backgrounds.... hm... maybe some perspective. Though... maybe that can wait until I've mastered the basics of Anatomy poses and linework?

Hm, can I edit my poll, this one served it's purpose.

Mr_Liebe
06-03-2012, 03:59 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/019.jpg

basic shading and anatomy stuffs.

Demonfyre
06-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Looking good :D from what I learnt in graphics the objects look correct and your definetly starting to nail the outlines xD keep up your good work :D

Also about your poll, I'm not sure, I wonder if I will be able to set one up on my thread it would be useful :)

Mr_Liebe
06-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Yep, thanks buddy. Lol, I need to draw more, at least doodle, I think I'll start doodling for an hour before bed every night or something. As for the whole lines on paper, I started that as well, so hopefully after a week or so, my line work will be decent.

Might just be me, but it looks like I could still work on the definition on the ab muscles, am I missing some muscles? like the obliques, because it looks a little barren on the lower left and right areas, maybe darker shading there might help, I'm not sure.

Is the shading any good, though? It's better than it was a while ago, but could it be better, is there something I'm missing? Should I do the same thing with shading as what I'm doing with lines? Get a piece of paper and practice different shades of shading, or whatever?

Am I worrying too much? lol, ha ha ha, possibly, maybe I should focus on drawing, ha ha ha.

Demonfyre
06-03-2012, 08:03 PM
NOTE: The light displacement changes as the light source moves.

The shading is correct on the objects but I would suggest defining them more, in graphics I was taught the 1 (Lightest) -> 5 (Darkest) tone scale, depending on where the light source is placed on a cube it should even to be about 1 on a side, 3 on an other side, and 5 on the side that is casting a shadow from the light. To use the your cube as an example its like the light face is a 1 and the second darkest is 2 and the third face is 3 when the darker sides should be much darker from where your light source is placed. The is the same with the cuboid.

Next the sphere, I would suggest again defining the shading more and also making the major areas of shading more circular, its almost looking like a triangle on yours. Finally the triangular pyramid just needs a bit more defining.

Below is a sketch I made to attempt to demonstrate what I mean about the shading on the cubes/cuboids and the sphere. Sorry I used a crappy pencil so if you need a redrawing let me know.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/Demonfyre1/shading.jpg

I hope this doesn't confuse you but basically you need to define the shading more on the objects, at the moment your not using enough shading :P however the light faces are all correct.

With the abs and the face i'm terrible with shading in that area so i'm very little help there :/ and again I haven't studied enough muscular anatomy to point out if your missing any sorry :/ what I would suggest though is improving your drawings first and then worry about shading :) it's fine to add shading in but don't worry about it until you have everything else fixed up :) that is what I do, I still have a massive list of things to fix but I add shading in anyway just for the experience and practice rather than worrying about it :L

If you want to improve your shading then I would suggest shading out a tonal scale like I had (albeit a very bad one) at the bottom and using it as a reference and just so you can get used to the pressure you need to apply on you pencil to get different shades to show and also just repeat what you have been doing so you get experience :) keep posting them up and i'll try my best to check them over for you :D

NOTE: I'll make a better sketch tomorrow to demonstrate what I mean properly without having to use crappy tools :/

JJJorgie
06-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Good work Liebe!!! You're getting there!

To Demonfyre, too: I think it kind of depends where the light source is as to how deep the shades and the placement of the shades are.

Mr_Liebe
06-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but on th shading, do you mean I should ad more tones? like it doesn't transition well from light shade to dark?

Demonfyre
06-03-2012, 09:54 PM
@JJJorgie - Yes I should make that clear.

@Liebe - Also note that the light displacement will change as the light source moves, but for the light source you placed you would expect a 1,3,5 kinda pattern.

Nothing to do the the transition its how dark you have made the cube, the area that's away from the light source and is creating shadow so you would expect a very dark area, but you have it shaded in as if light was still reaching it. I'll try to draw what i'm meaning tomorrow :)

Mr_Liebe
06-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Oh, I see, I'll do better next time.

Demonfyre
06-03-2012, 10:10 PM
^ Just keep practicing :3 no skipping your daily doodle/sketch and do it when your most creative whenever that is, don't draw at night if your not feeling motivated or creative :) anyways goodnight i'm off to bed, tomorrow i'll draw out those shading things and get them to you asap :)

Mr_Liebe
06-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks. bro.

Mr_Liebe
06-05-2012, 01:31 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/020.jpg

I was going to do some anatomy practice, but I just didn't feel it, so I drew up a BG for shading practice.

Demonfyre
06-06-2012, 05:25 PM
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q599/Demonfyre1/photo.jpg

Hopefully this shall be more insightful than my previous quick sketch I posted last time, i've also made some notes here and there and tips to improve :) with shading a face there are lots of stock photos which you can study and draw to work on that area. If you need links or more explanations just let me know :) hope this helps!

Mr_Liebe
06-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Sorry it took so long for me to respond, was at the pool soakin da rays, swimmin laps, it was AWESOME, ha ha ha.

I'm not entirely sure what to say. Thank you seems insufficient, hm..... this is just so very awesome, I really do appreciate what you've done for me, vielen dank, bro.

Demonfyre
06-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Your very welcome :D now go and shade some stuff and make me proud!

Also here is a photo you may be able to practice with :) Lighting Angles (http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=kxhara#/d503a4w)

Mr_Liebe
06-06-2012, 09:59 PM
I'll keep that in mind, but for now I want to focus more on male anatomy.

Speaking of which, I'm going to upload some male figures tomorrow in the afternoon, look forward to it.

Demonfyre
06-06-2012, 10:07 PM
I shall, you will probably teach me a thing or two because I suck at male anatomy :L

Mr_Liebe
06-07-2012, 06:29 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/021.jpg

I'm still learning male anatomy myself, so is all good. Is the shading better?

AlmanacnamedTime
06-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Better on shading yes.

knees too low and heads too small.

Mr_Liebe
06-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Well, I did one thing right, then, ha ha ha. So, the knees go in the middle of the leg, ja? Hm... how are the lines, are they better now?

AlmanacnamedTime
06-07-2012, 06:40 PM
They have gotten quite better. There is always room for improvement though(for anyone). I'll get you the reflective surface examples in just a bit.

Mr_Liebe
06-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Awesome, man, I appreciate this, truly.

AlmanacnamedTime
06-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Your welcome, I'm making a tutorial of it to post on the main site, or it would be done already.

Demonfyre
06-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Better on shading yes.

knees too low and heads too small.

They look more like normal human anatomy proportions, surely they are correct? Unless he was using the regular 6 head proportions?

EDIT: Never mind I see what you mean :L

@Liebe - The only things I picked up were;

1) The incredibly small right elbow joint on the first pose try beefing it out a bit as the arm extends out again due to muscles after the joint.

2) Shading looks much better! :)

3) The second poses head is more of a circle, try to extend it a bit and make it more like an upturned egg shape.

Finally, what proportions were you using? 7/8 Head height for proper human anatomy or the average 6 head height for manga/anime?

AlmanacnamedTime
06-07-2012, 07:14 PM
No it's off or I wouldn't have mentioned it. It's okay though, it happens to all of us.

Remember not to overwhelm people.

Demonfyre
06-07-2012, 07:19 PM
^ Yeah my mistake, too sleepy xD

@Liebe - Also on the legs try to beef up the upper section of the lower leg (below the knee) it joins in weird I think.

Also try sketching in the head heights before you draw out your poses and try to keep them there, it will help you make the placements :)

Mr_Liebe
06-07-2012, 07:46 PM
They look more like normal human anatomy proportions, surely they are correct? Unless he was using the regular 6 head proportions?

EDIT: Never mind I see what you mean :L

@Liebe - The only things I picked up were;

1) The incredibly small right elbow joint on the first pose try beefing it out a bit as the arm extends out again due to muscles after the joint.

2) Shading looks much better! :)

3) The second poses head is more of a circle, try to extend it a bit and make it more like an upturned egg shape.

Finally, what proportions were you using? 7/8 Head height for proper human anatomy or the average 6 head height for manga/anime?

I was under the impression that 7 heads was the proper height of an adult manga male, from what I remember of a chart Tay(Indescribable, posted back in the first... like 3-5 pages). Basically what I do is draw the head and the body is basically 6 heads in height.

As for the head and elbow, I'll fix them before I go into detail with the drawings.

No it's off or I wouldn't have mentioned it. It's okay though, it happens to all of us.

Remember not to overwhelm people.

It's okay, he was just telling me the mistakes I was making, it's all just him helping me, so it's all good.

^ Yeah my mistake, too sleepy xD

@Liebe - Also on the legs try to beef up the upper section of the lower leg (below the knee) it joins in weird I think.

Also try sketching in the head heights before you draw out your poses and try to keep them there, it will help you make the placements :)

I'll beef it up, then. You mean.... do what Mark Crilley does when he does a tutorial on body proportions? Eh, you've been drawing for longer, so I should listen, ha ha ha.

WhenRabbitsAttack
06-07-2012, 07:56 PM
head hight ratio chart

baby= 3-4 heads including actual head. all measure ments will be recorded like this
child= 4-5 heads high
teenager= 5 1/2- 6 1/2 heads high
adult= 6 1/2 - 8 heads high

only use 8 heads for majestic/ heroic male characters

hope this helps!

Demonfyre
06-07-2012, 08:12 PM
I was under the impression that 7 heads was the proper height of an adult manga male, from what I remember of a chart Tay(Indescribable, posted back in the first... like 3-5 pages). Basically what I do is draw the head and the body is basically 6 heads in height.

It changes, as WhenRabbitsAttack has just demonstrated :) if it was actual human anatomy not manga/anime then I use 8 heads because that is what i've learnt :L but by no means are contractually obliged to follow those guidelines, chose how you want to do it.

do what Mark Crilley does when he does a tutorial on body proportions?

Pretty much xD watch closely how he draws the figure, maybe try to copy him a few times, it helped me so it should in theory also help you :)

Mr_Liebe
06-07-2012, 08:25 PM
More copying? Meh...... well... fine, I like the progress I'm making, so I'll do that.

Rubisko
06-08-2012, 02:44 AM
If you make a study of someone's work and that someone is not a master then you're gonna have a bad time.

Read Loomis (or Bridgeman, or what that other guys name is), do figure drawing, and don't follow someone's advise blindly just because they've written a book

Mr_Liebe
06-08-2012, 03:22 AM
I just stick with advice from you guys, and Crilley, really.

As for doing studies of other people's work, I only do so if it's a master, or at least someone who's been in the buisness for a while. Otherwise I use photo references.

AlmanacnamedTime
06-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Do use Loomis. He fixed me right up. Also the original how to draw monga series is really good.

Raikov
06-09-2012, 07:05 AM
You don't necessarily have to follow the head charts and stuff. Too many lines get confusing as well, especially for complex poses. One of my friends who work as an artist said she learned anatomy by drawing <s>hentai</s> so you can try that, too.

What I usually do is just kind of look in the mirror or try to render an image of the human body in my mind. try looking at fashion magazines, or some other magazines with interesting poses. When you stare enough, you'll kind of get the gist of what the human body really looks like, and have it in your mind when you draw.

Or just pick up some anatomy books in a bookstore c;

Mr_Liebe
06-09-2012, 07:14 PM
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab57/Herr_Duane/021-1.jpg

Voila, now I didn't add the faces because I'm already working on a couple other things, and I don't want to 'be all over the place' or whatever that person said, lol.

Demonfyre
06-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Posemaniacs is also good, even though its been mentioned lots of times :)

Those are looking good :) an other big improvement :D anyway feedback time;

1) On the second pose, try to make the shoulders slope more, they shouldn't be almost a straight line
2) I think you have put veins in, If i'm correct I would suggest maybe dulling them down a bit so that they are more subtle.
3) Last major thing is on the second pose your upper arms are too thick they are just about the same width as his legs.

Also just another suggestion, maybe you could try drawing the figures without the clothes like what i'm doing at the moment, so you can get used to all the details underneath and the musculature etc. I'm not saying don't draw clothes just draw a couple without so you can work on the anatomy on its own without worrying about other small details.

Hope this helped :)

AlmanacnamedTime
06-09-2012, 08:05 PM
DF said everything I was going too except:

2nd pick, knees are a bit off.

Keep improving.

Mr_Liebe
06-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Posemaniacs is also good, even though its been mentioned lots of times :)

Those are looking good :) an other big improvement :D anyway feedback time;

1) On the second pose, try to make the shoulders slope more, they shouldn't be almost a straight line
2) I think you have put veins in, If i'm correct I would suggest maybe dulling them down a bit so that they are more subtle.
3) Last major thing is on the second pose your upper arms are too thick they are just about the same width as his legs.

Also just another suggestion, maybe you could try drawing the figures without the clothes like what i'm doing at the moment, so you can get used to all the details underneath and the musculature etc. I'm not saying don't draw clothes just draw a couple without so you can work on the anatomy on its own without worrying about other small details.

Hope this helped :)

More sloping shoulders, okay.

I wanted to really make him look like a killer, like you piss him off, he gon keel yo ass! ha ha ha, but I see what you mean.

I'm going to add another phase in uploading, first the outline, next outline with muscles, then if that's all good, I'll add in the clothes, and all the other details. sound good?

DF said everything I was going too except:

2nd pick, knees are a bit off.

Keep improving.

Okay, will do.

So, Liebe doin better?

Bacon_Barbarian
06-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Fists aren't perfect balls. Or any geometric shape. Even when clenched, you can make out the fingers in a hand. Sometime you should try drawing some more "open" poses.

Demonfyre
06-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Definitely :D and that sounds like a plan, it will also allow us to see how you draw your characters and provide tips on that area too :)

Fists aren't perfect balls. Or any geometric shape. Even when clenched, you can make out the fingers in a hand. Sometime you should try drawing some more "open" poses.

Yeah try drawing the fists opened, its easier than clenched and will give you some practice at drawing hands :)