PDA

View Full Version : Inksprout's Art Thread - Critiques?

Inksprout
02-02-2012, 01:50 AM
Hey everyone, I've decided I'd appreciate some helpful critiques on my work. I'm not particularly proud of my 'art' because I should be so much better than I am but I have not been a very dedicated artist. So since I have recently began to do a better amount of practice I'm hoping that some solid feed back from you guys can help me improve fast. So please feel free to make suggestions and offer your opinions (pretty please!)

Here's some stuff I've done recently:

Dark Elf character for a DnD game I was in
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/162/7/2/dark_elf_by_inksprout-d3iooys.jpg

An underwater scene I did:

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/025/3/3/underwater_by_inksprout-d4nlu5j.jpg

This one I partiuclarly would like a red line for. Basically a friend of mine made out like the anatomy was totally screwed, even though I used photo references. I can't see as many problems as she seemed to think there was and I don't feel comfortable asking her since her drawings are very stylised and not anatomically correct anyway.
Its driving me insane so I'd love it if someone could point out the problems or even do a red line for me :3

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/032/2/1/couple_by_inksprout-d4odu4q.jpg

I know the girl's hand is particularly wrong.

Shadowsfade
02-02-2012, 01:19 PM
I like the pictures, the underwater scene is really well done, and I like the armor and colours of the first one. For the last picture, a few things that I can see is mainly to do with the arms - I think the guy's (our) left arm should be a bit longer, and (our) right one, either the top part of the arm shorter, or the end part connected to the wrist longer (or a combo of both). I think the shape of the girl's hand is fine, but it is very long in comparison to her arm, so maybe make it a little bit smaller, and again lengthen the top part of the girl's arm (connected to the shoulder)

I like your drawings, would be nice to see some more! :)

ClockHand
02-03-2012, 11:57 AM
I like the last one as art style, but that's because I'm looking the potential of it (what could I do with it) rather of what it is.

The dark elf can resume better what you could work. Shoulders; you always do a shoulder quiet long. Limb symmetry and 3D; one of the legs of the dark elf is a littler longer than the other, this is not just a symmetry problem, but also affect the 3D of the character. If I throw a horizontal line between shoulder & shoulder, boobs, hips and legs, you will see a inconsistence in the focus point of in the drawing; shoulders are aiming to high the focus point, boobs are also aiming high, hips are in a vertical line and legs are aiming low, this make a inconsistence and it could work in a fish eye perspective, but there is no consistence in the body.

Just that, work with a horizon line and a focus point in it, it should help you for most of the problems.

Inksprout
02-05-2012, 05:46 AM
Shadow: I see what you mean. This problem with arm legnths is a reoccuring thing for me too, so I really need to watch out for it more D:

clock: Thanks for commenting! I can sort of see what you mean but I think I need to play around with it to learn this better. This piece is pretty old now and unfortunately I don't have the original outline I did to look at. I'll keep your advice in mind next time I'm sketching something like this.

Here is a couple of WIPS I want to ink and colour:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/036/a/7/cat_by_inksprout-d4opqox.jpg

This one has some anatomy issues I want to fix before I ink it, the arms and his bent leg are off.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/036/6/e/mouse_by_inksprout-d4opqmg.jpg

Mr_Liebe
02-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Nice background work you did on the underwater pic of yours. The anthromorphic characters... sorry, I forget the word, were also done well. Some of the minor details could use some work, but other than that, great stuff. Looking forward to more.

Shadowsfade
02-08-2012, 12:28 PM
aww the mouse is mega cute! for the first picture, is he leaning on a wall, or sitting on it with his leg dangling? just to help me work out a critique :)

Inksprout
02-08-2012, 07:14 PM
he's supposed to be sitting with his leg dangling, although his other leg is messed up so its hard to tell D:

Mr_Liebe
02-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Could you be a pal, and crit my work?

ClockHand
02-08-2012, 07:46 PM
As I said, the problem is with 3 dimensionality. It's consistent but it can be improved quiet fast, the deal is that you are not using a focus point when you draw bodies; the sit character should have his left leg a little bigger, because it should be a little closer to us than his body.

Draw with a horizon line, focus point and do the body with sausage, respecting the size and length depending on the focus point.

Inksprout
02-08-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm just having trouble with where to put the focus point and horizon line, in the cat picture for example, where would I need to put the focus point to get the bent leg looking right? I've heard of this technique before for characters but I've never seen it used outside of technical drawing so I'm a bit lost with how to go about it.

Shadowsfade
02-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Ah ok I see, i think it would just need a little replacement of the legs - theres two ways he could be sitting on the wall - either sitting full on it, so that the bend of his knee would be where the end of the wall is, or he could be sitting, but perched right on the edge, which would have his dangling leg straighter. depending on which you wanna go for, the legs would be in different positions. For the first situation, the leg that is bent up is fine, but the foot would be flat, as it would be sitting on the top of the wall, and the leg that is dangling would be bent in half at the knee. For the second, his bent leg would probably be fine as it is, but the one thats dangling would need to be bent ever so slightly - if you're perching on the edge of the wall and your dangling leg is straight, you would slip of, so it would have a very slight bend. The way his legs are at the moment doesnt really fit completely with either situation, which makes it look not quite right. I hope thats clear and not too rambly :S lol

Inksprout
02-11-2012, 04:27 AM
@Shadows: Thanks for that, should be helpful since I'll be trying to figure out the leg dilemma soon. Gotta research what clock said too :P

Here is the coloured version of the mouse that I've been working on while I puzzle about the cat:

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/042/4/1/shamus_mouskin___coloured_by_inksprout-d4pbx3t.jpg

I was also drawing heads from different angles. I did a heap in my sketch book, but these are just the digital sketches I did. Its meant to be the same guy in all of these. I'm pretty bad at this as it turns out so I'd really appreciate advice or even a quick redline. I was using references/tutorials for these too.

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/042/b/a/heading_around_by_inksprout-d4pbx8j.jpg