PDA

View Full Version : Anyone play Japanese made games? (bootlegs, originals, etc.)

T1B3R1U5
01-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Has anyone even tried to play or played a japanese made game (other than capcom, nintendo and all them)? Something along the lines of Shogun Princess or Shogunate Princess (which is a big RPG element Japanese game) in the orginal format and can understand how to play even though it's in japanese. I have a few copies of DW(Dynasty Warrior) in JP and wondered if anyone else has played JP games too.

GunZet
01-25-2012, 07:35 PM
I play Kidou Senshi Gundam Seed Destiny (Gundam Seed Destiny: Battle Assault GBA) on an emulator once in a while. I've beaten the whole thing over and over and only recognize hai and iie, thanks to two years of Japanese class, lol.

jubeh
01-25-2012, 07:39 PM
No I only play white people games

T1B3R1U5
01-25-2012, 07:49 PM
xD lolz jubeh, I was trying not to be discriminate about what I was writing but ok. and @GunZ That's kewl. I've played the JP version of Catherine. really creepy game I might add.

GunZet
01-25-2012, 07:51 PM
I've been meaning to play Catherine, heard it's real good.

Hell_Baron
01-26-2012, 01:40 AM
I've been meaning to play Catherine, heard it's real good.

That's not what Yathzee says...

Anyways, i fucking love the Dragon Quest series.

GunZet
01-26-2012, 02:34 AM
Base your opinions around one dude's words, lol.

Oh also, used to play this Japanese Pokemon Yellow, until I found out that trying to go through the game simply based on my memory of the English version, wouldn't work.

CypressDahlia
01-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Yahtzee gets views off being deliberately and overly critical of everything Japanese.

Regantor
01-26-2012, 10:30 AM
I play alot of Saturn stuff in japanese because there are tons of good things which just didn't get released over here. Baroque, Radiant Silvergun, Assualt Suits Leynos... Also, Turbografx 16, WTF. SNES gundam strategy games in my younger days, too. Hybrid Front, e.t.c...

What, you mean they are still making video games? WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL REG THIS. *^*

CypressDahlia
01-26-2012, 11:19 AM
I heard baroque is p. hardcore. Like you'd have to be really into roguelikes to enjoy it. Leynos was cool, though. Have you played Metal Warriors? It was like the Lucas Arts equivalent of Leynos.

Regantor
01-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Yeah, Baroque is solid as a rock to play (especially in japanese, I can't read a word of it), but totally amps up all of the scare moments that most roguelikes just sort of happen upon by mistake. One of my guilty favs.

I have indeed played Metal Warriors, also. Being able to get out of the suit and run around was really sweet, wish they would do that in mech games more often. Semi-destructable terrian, too. Perhaps not as tight level/enemy/art design as Cybernator (Assault Suits Valken), but overall probally the same shelf-life, I'd say.

Now, the one game I've been trying to get my hands on for years is Gunnm: Martian Memory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunnm:_Martian_Memory). Japanese PS1 only. Has anyone in the universe actually played it? x_x

T1B3R1U5
01-26-2012, 03:38 PM
I've heard of the game itself Reg, but never actually got my hands on it while it was out. But I've learned alot of Japanese just from playing the games so menu's and the like are easy to understand (Talk about playing for hours on end not knowing wtf the menus actually said.) And plenty of the older games were fun, and Catherine made me remember the Fatal Frame series (Another I played in original JP language and layout...made the game creepier).

Zetzoubu
01-30-2012, 03:37 PM
I play japanese games all the time. And can you guess who I am Tiber?

T1B3R1U5
01-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Uhh. No, in fact I don't know you...And judging from your profile, you live in Tokyo and I might have met you there. Though, Keizo does ring a bell.

Emi_Higurashi
01-30-2012, 05:31 PM
To be completely honest the only japanese games I've played would be the japanese version of FFVII, Kuroshitsuji Phantom & Ghost, and Digimon: The Shining Evolution which was an RPG and it was pretty cool.

T1B3R1U5
01-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Japanese version of FF:VII!? Why did you not tell me this Koibito!? OMG, DAISUKI!

Emi_Higurashi
01-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Ehh...I got the game from my uncle whose a pilot for Japan, and he got me the game when I was about...13-14yrs, so I don't know if you know this but it was for PS2 which I don't have anymore.but it was fun, baka. And why are you suddenly fangirlish? it's not like I met Kurk Cobain before he shot himself, geez. lol daisuki. Oh and I have seen KH and other FF I-XIII in japanese version, I'm like a subcriber to Nihon games and whatnot. And if I do find any FF games in japanese I'll get on for you, my silly FF fangirl >w>

ClockHand
01-30-2012, 07:03 PM
it's my idea or people are confusing "games made in japan" with "games in japanese"?

jubeh
01-30-2012, 07:08 PM
I dont even understand what this thread is about

T1B3R1U5
01-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah, most games form Japan are in Japanese aren't they? I mean if you live there and play them there unless they are bootlegs, etc. Is what I meant by games from and by Japanese developers and are in Japanese or are orginal japanese games. Does that help a lil Clock?

EDIT: @jubeh
It's about games that you have played that were either in Japanese or are orginal, certified Japanese games that you can't understand unless you've learned japanese. Also the games follow the Japanese format for games.

ClockHand
01-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah, most games form Japan are in Japanese aren't they? I mean if you live there and play them there unless they are bootlegs, etc. Is what I meant by games from and by Japanese developers and are in Japanese or are orginal japanese games. Does that help a lil Clock?

EDIT: @jubeh
It's about games that you have played that were either in Japanese or are orginal, certified Japanese games that you can't understand unless you've learned japanese. Also the games follow the Japanese format for games.

Ok, now that you explained it, I can say that this thread is retarded.

So you only want to heard about people who give the time to learn (or already know) japanese and play games made in japan?

T1B3R1U5
01-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Just their experience and what they thought about them. It really doesn't mattter if they took the time to learn Japanese because I've played Japanese games without any knowledge of the language and still be able to play and enjoy the game as a whole even if I didn't know what half the characters were saying or doing.

jubeh
01-30-2012, 07:33 PM
WAT

GunZet
01-30-2012, 07:34 PM
@Whoever doesn't get it: The dude just wants to know if anybody's played the games in their original Japanese form. Damn, it's that easy.

jubeh
01-30-2012, 07:37 PM
WHAT THE

T1B3R1U5
01-30-2012, 07:41 PM
I think jubeh is just being sarcastic xD and as for what GunZ said, that's the whole point of the Thread

Hell_Baron
01-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Wait... as in not translated to english?

T1B3R1U5
01-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Yes, not translated and still crisp in Japanese format.

Saiyagal85
02-05-2012, 02:06 AM
Before it was released in English, my bro downloaded Final Fantasy Dissidia for the psp. It was in Japanese, but you were still able to play it once you figured it out. It would have been better if my bro's R button wasn't broken.
Also a friend got a burnt copy of DragonballGT Final Bout for us. It was in Japanese (Goku and Gohan sounded like a woman *shudder*) but being a fighting game, you could still play it. I guess you might count those as playing games in Japanese, but they were eventually dubbed into English.

CypressDahlia
02-05-2012, 04:38 AM
I finished Another Century's Episode R.

Bacon_Barbarian
02-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I had Jump Ultimate Stars somewhere. Sadly, I lost it and Soul Silver a few months ago. :|

T1B3R1U5
02-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Interesting...I've never come across a Japanese-only fighting game before. I have tried everything else but a fighting game in Japanese. I'll put that on my "gamer's to-do list".

Rio
02-08-2012, 11:56 AM
I bought the Princess Maker game for the Saturn. It looks way better than the PC version and has some extra things that I was surprised to see.

T1B3R1U5
02-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Nice! I never did get the older retro games in Japanese. The best I have ever had for retro is Dragonball Z:something for the snes. Though, it's in emulator form.

Sylux
02-13-2012, 12:29 AM
I played .hack//G.U. in Jap form but I mean I've beaten it twice in English so I knew what was going on.

T1B3R1U5
02-13-2012, 02:12 PM
See? If you've played it in english, then there really shouldn't be too much of a difference in story line. (Unless of course the publishers want their Westerner counterparts to have a minf-fuck ending in games, like a few I've come across)