PDA

View Full Version : Violin: First steps

violin
01-11-2011, 02:07 AM
I usually don't draw but somehow I aways wanted to try that and I want to be able to draw cartoon and/or anime characters. I recently found this site and the tutorials are great but I think I need more practise drawing in general so I decided I should first learn the basics of how do draw by looking a real life objects and then if I still have the motivation move to cartoon or manga drawings.

This is what I did the past three days. I was training to draw my hand by looking at it, to shade an egg and also prespective (the door)
http://www.violin-bg.com/temp/3in1.png

Any comments on what I could improve in above would be nice :)
Do I need more pracrice before I move to cartoon characters? Should I first learn how to draw human heads and bodies - are the proportions there the same as in manga characters?

Blue_Dragon
01-11-2011, 04:17 AM
Not bad for someone who doesn't draw much ;)

Hm...one thing that can help with objects (not the egg) is to break things down into shapes.

Perspective, like the door, can be very hard. It's something that takes a lot of work (measuring and such, not necessarily with a ruler, but with your pencil. It's hard to explain without having someone actually demonstrate how it's done.) That's something I might work on, if you were tackling realism.

It looks like you'll do pretty well, though, so keep it up!

Edit:

On proportions, they generally are the same as real life (unless you're doing chibis.) As a rule of thumb, the human body is about seven heads tall. Eyes have one eye's width between them, and there are measurements of where the put the ears, and nose, mouth and so on in relation with the other features. This goes back to the "measuring" I mentioned earlier. There are some good resources out there, guides and books, if you don't want to take a class, those can help.

violin
01-20-2011, 02:47 AM
Thank you for you comments Blue_Dragon.

I tried to create something more complicated today.
So I drew this:
http://download.game2make.com/temp/mtbackchange/img016.jpg

But something's wrong. Is the body to skinny or the legs are too long? Any tips of what needs improvement here whould be great. I'm more interested in the body itself and the proportions of the different parts of it.
Thanks!

butternut
01-20-2011, 05:03 AM
Hey!
You're right. The legs are too long. Going through anatomy tutorials helps a lot. They talk about the proportion and in general how the body should look. For example, Proportions : If you take the head as a measurement, the height of the guy is around 7 heads. Shoulders are 1 and half heads below the top and 2 heads wide, hips 3 heads below the top, knees 5 heads below the top, etc. All these measurements are rough, and can vary according to the character. At least, they helped me.
As to where I found help, there are lots of sites in the "Drawing, Animation & Tutorials" section. I referred to many of them and practiced on my own.

Anyway, this is the first time i'm actually crit-ing somebody's work, so correct me if i'm wrong. and i apologize if i made a mistake!

Rio
01-20-2011, 07:45 PM
If you're going to a realistic style then yes, the legs are too long but guys in shoujo and bishoujo manga tend to have guys with long legs just like that so it can get away with it. The proportions are about right. You should be more worried about drawing things consistently from one side to the other - I mean, one hand is bigger than the other.

violin
01-21-2011, 01:59 AM
I tried again. But still - now I think the legs are too short or the torso is too big.
http://download.game2make.com/temp/mtbackchange/img017.jpg
:(

PWhit
01-21-2011, 02:40 PM
You are onto something about the torso. I feel as if his shoulders are a bit more broad than usual. The leg problem has definitely been fixed in my opinion, just keep practicing.

Rio
01-21-2011, 11:52 PM
His shin looks too short. The shin it the part between his knee and his ankle, btw. If you elongate that a bit more you should be fine. Also, try making his feet bigger next time. Your feet should always look like they can carry the rest of the body. Right now, it looks too dainty.

CypressDahlia
01-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Everything is actually good, so far. Your last picture was a HUGE improvement from the previous one in terms of anatomy. There are just a few proportional rules-of-thumb I'd like to point out:

- The belly button is one of the most important reference points in terms of proportions. Learn to place it. It's roughly halfway between the bottom of the ribcage and the crotch.
- The elbows, when the arms are relaxed at one's sides, are at the same level as the belly button.
- The fingertips, with fingers fully extended and arms relaxed at one's sides, end roughly 3/4ths of the way down the thigh.
- A normal torso is about 2 1/2 heads high, with the remaining 4 1/2 heads in height comprised of the waist and below. That is, if you're going by a 7-head measure for the height of your character.
- A man's shoulders should be 3 heads wide and his waist 2 heads, again going by a 7-head measure.
- A person's foot is roughly the same length as their forearm.

If you get these down, you'll have your anatomy straightened out in no time. Then, from there, you can work on detailing your faces (which are still quite basic) and clothing folds.

Tsig
01-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Your hand in the first drawing looks awesome =)As for the people, I agree with Cypress that you did a great job at improving anatomy on the second one. I also think that the detail on the jeans looks better. Great job and keep at it!

Yara
01-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Man! I was writing my reply but then I read the posts again and they were just better and more precise than mine >_<"
I'll be ready for your next drawing =)

Rio
02-03-2011, 08:14 PM
^It's the thought that counts. C:

Speaking of which, I never did talk about your initial drawings on your post Violin. Regarding the door, it is best to use rulers when drawing backgrounds, especially buildings and furniture that are generally straight. If you don't use rulers, you tend to get very wiggly lines. The other trick is to use protractors to check the angle of your lines. Your vertical line, for instance, is not exactly at 90&deg;'s. You can later use the protractor to check the other lines going away from the corner.

As for your egg, the curve of the egg - you hesitated when you drew it and it shows. It's best to correct something like that before you shade it in. If you went back and just nudge the egg curve a little bit more, you would have had a better curving egg. Your shading's not bad, btw.

violin
02-13-2011, 01:40 AM
Thank you all for the advices. I didn't practiced much with anatomy proporsion yet. But I'll try to take everything you said and see if I do better.

I was trying to draw faces (front view). Not good I think. Also my lines look ugly as if I was tring to trace over another picture :(

Here's what I did:
http://download.game2make.com/temp/mtbackchange/draw/faces02.jpg

A sad one:
http://download.game2make.com/temp/mtbackchange/draw/sad.jpg

I don't know what that is:
http://download.game2make.com/temp/mtbackchange/draw/surprise.jpg

And some boots(not a face :D):
http://download.game2make.com/temp/mtbackchange/draw/boots.jpg

Now that I've played enough - I'll try to go back to bodie proportions.

Yara
02-13-2011, 07:22 PM
hmmm... let's see. I won't talk about anatomy and proportions since you didn't practice it yet.

Regarding the second face (pic #2), sad faces has eyebrows that go down like this one:
http://www.2d-digital-art-guide.com/images/drawingsadfaces4.jpg

and sometimes the eyelids go down too so the eyes become half open <-- this depends on how much sad the character you're drawing is.

pic #3: The boots are meant to be rounded in the front, right? I'm not sure, but if you mean to draw them rounded, try to make them look rounder.

aaahhh! every time I post in this section, I wish I had a tablet DX .. I'll be patient till I get one though ~_~"

Keep going, you got better here ^_^

Hamachi
02-14-2011, 01:32 AM
Heyy, there are a lot of artists here who are extremely good, and quite a few of them have already commented on your thread! Keep that in mind and pay attention to what they said. xD

That being said, my ten cents is that after looking at your first few pictures I think you have no problem with depth perception. Looking at your last few I see that the control you have over your drawing utensil is fine. I suggest applying these two principles to drawing people with a catch - first, figure out what bodies look like in 3D. Then try to capture an idea of what they're doing.

Build people from perspective in the same way you drew that door, and practice using reference from sites such as posemaniacs.com. The first goal, which by the way I'm still working on, is building a 3D library of what a body looks like from all angles so you can give the illusion of depth. The second goal is learning to visualize the different ways people express actions so you can imagine a pose in your head - a lot harder than it sounds. Then, you apply the mental library of shapes you've created to the pose you thought up, and your picture will be a hybrid of how well you've developed these two things.

Edit: Also, those shoes are AWESOME.

Sonny
03-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Hello,

I am going to suggest a little something different from what everyone has said so far: working on gesture drawings.

One of the things that artists don't see is the process. They see the finished product. As such, they learn from the finished product rather than the process of creating it.

From what I can tell, you're doing form through a form of contour drawings. While this is fine for details, you should not work on details first.

A gesture drawing allows you to think about flow points. That is, how muscles, clothing, etc. will flow from one area to another. Cleaning it up later with a contour drawing would be the last step.

I highly recommend looking at various flow points of the body as well as proportions associated with these flow points.

Here's what I can recommend: http://www.2d-digital-art-guide.com/anatomy-for-artists.html

While I won't go over all the tutorials on my site, this section should help you out.

P.S. I found this site VIA Yara's hot-linking to my tutorial images. :)

violin
05-14-2011, 12:43 AM
Great, thanks alot for the advice :)
Haven't had much time to practise lately as I'm back to codding but I hope I'll find some spare time soon.

PS: And sorry for my late reply. I'm kinda inactive in these forums lately.