PDA

View Full Version : Sailor Moon: Love it, hate it, it's here to stay :)

Blue_Dragon
01-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Yeah, figuring out there's a lot of fans of this series on here...so let's discuss it, shall we?

Just found out you can use Spoiler tags. So if you're gonna spoil something, please put it in a box.

Like this.

Background info:

Began: Manga and anime series both started in 1992.
Author: Naoko Takeuchi
Series: Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon S, Sailor Moon Stars

Pretty Graphics:

http://sailormoon.download-tvshows.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/sailor-moon.jpg

Who's gonna post first? (watch, I'll start this and it'll be a fail :P )

LVUER
01-11-2011, 03:45 AM
I don't really like the manga (but not hate it either), but I absolutely love the anime. In fact, Sailor Moon anime is the one that opened my eyes to pretty/moe anime (before that, I only watch Voltes V, Sentai/Tokusatsu Series, Saint Seiya, etc.

Blue_Dragon
01-11-2011, 04:44 AM
It's a first for many. It's one of the first animes actually played in like...mainland America (as far as I can tell.) I mean, Anime anime (not Thunder Cats or the like which is Japanese animated, but for some reason never associated with Anime...go figure...)

Transformers, too, but I didn't watch it as religiously.

Edit: by main land America, I mean the Midwest, cause we get this stuff slowly. If you lived in California, you had manga and anime much sooner.

Rio
01-11-2011, 11:22 AM
I totally love the anime series. I've never had the chance to pick up the manga which is too bad but maybe someday I'll get my hands on some.

When it started airing, the other anime that was airing was Dragon Ball. Lucky for me, I happened to have stumbled upon it because they were showing it so early in the morning like 5 am. After Sailor Moon's success, other anime's began to be shown like Pokemon, Tekkaman Blade, Digimon, Shaman King, etc. on a regular basis.

Blue_Dragon
01-12-2011, 09:31 AM
The manga's really good. I like it better than the anime (which I'm re-watching) since it has less filler and repetition. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the anime, too. I just the manga better. They recently put out new additions, which are better than the Pocket Mixx brand I was getting, cause they read the original way (they weren't flipped like Pocket Mixx) and I think they're a little bigger in size, like normal manga, or maybe a little bigger (Pocket Mixx went really small for some reason...)

Dude, yeah, you're right! I used to wake up at 5 to watch Sailor Moon so my older sister didn't know I watched it (I was scared she'd make fun of me,) and then I found out that after I went back to bed at 5:30, she'd wake up and watch the 6:30 showing! It was funny when we found out.

Rio
01-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Dude, yeah, you're right! I used to wake up at 5 to watch Sailor Moon so my older sister didn't know I watched it (I was scared she'd make fun of me,) and then I found out that after I went back to bed at 5:30, she'd wake up and watch the 6:30 showing! It was funny when we found out.lol That's funny!

New manga editions? For real? Who's publishing? Or are you talking about the ones that came out like five years ago?

Blue_Dragon
01-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Yeah, when I say "new" I mean "newer." Heh, with me, anything within that happened within the decade is still "new." I think I need to get with it :P

Rio
01-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Yes, I can see it now... Blue_Dragon eating food that was at least a decade old, wearing clothes a decade old, and sporting some funky hair-do from 10 years ago too. D:

Blue_Dragon
01-12-2011, 11:57 PM
The clothes need to be more...forty decades old, and you'd have it right ;)

Kodos
01-13-2011, 07:29 AM
You have 400 year old clothes? So basically you dress like this?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/AnnaofAustria01.jpg

Regantor
01-13-2011, 01:18 PM
So basically you dress like this?

Who doesn't? ;I

Eh. Sailor Moon. Used to watch it with my sister as mentioned in the other thread; Always throught it would make for a hilarious combination with Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei humour. The canadian artist Dan Kim likes to play with it's memes too... I guess that makes Reg a proxy fan? :p

Blue_Dragon
01-14-2011, 03:17 PM
You have 400 year old clothes? So basically you dress like this?

Dude, totally. Anna and I go waaaaay back. In fact, my sister's middle name is Anna (true story.)

Nah, I'm stupid, I meant 4 decades...40 years. This is why my attempt at being an enviornmentalist failed...I suck at math and numbers in general. I just trust others to figure crap for me right...it's not a fun way to go through life...

@ Reg: So, what's this Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei you speak of? And do you have any examples of these Sailor Moon memes?

Regantor
01-14-2011, 06:57 PM
SZS is a really bizzare high school-type anime with alot more 'teen guy humour' (randomness, violence, lewdity) than average, and creepy-cute style animation to boot. Swaps genre pretty much every episode, and in perticular there was one about a magical girl armed with a shovel... I digress, through, since it's not really for everybody...

Anyway. As for memes, I guess I'm just trying to say that all the standard characters and cliches are just begging to be used for a story in a differant genre; Lovecraftian horror, gumshoe detective story, gritty western... :333

Aether
01-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Sailor Moon: Love it, hate it, it's here to stay :)
That sounds like a wager.

Blue_Dragon
01-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Oh it is ;) Seeing as how it keeps coming up everywhere. And Sailor Moon/Dragon Ball Z crossover hentai seems to be popular (though I never could see why.)

Arashi500
01-23-2011, 08:17 PM
prolly because they were the pioneer anime in America.

Kodos
01-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Also they are both - at least in the West - the most famous examples of their respective genres. Also while there were shounen fight manga/anime before DBZ, and there were, arguably, magical girl anime before Sailor Moon (although Cutey Honey is the Ur-Magical Girl I understand it is to Magical Girl what Gigantor is to giant robots - the prototype but not the first "true" example) these two really established and/or codified a lot of - if not the majority of - the tropes that define these genres.

Rio
03-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Sailor Moon Manga is Coming to US. (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2011-03-18/kodansha-usa-announces-the-return-of-sailor-moon) Includes Sailor V prequel (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-18/kodansha-usa-to-publish-sailor-v-sailor-moon-manga).

:ascii_ahh:

Totally surprising news! Wasn't expecting something like this to happen at all. D: D:

Blue_Dragon
03-21-2011, 12:17 PM
YYYYYYYYAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!! I love you! You just made my day (er...night, since I'm getting ready for bed.) What a sleuth, how did you find this? I can never navigate Anime News Net...I get intimidated by too much text on a website :( Good thing you don't!

*Can't wait* Thanks for the update!

Rio
03-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Haha - np! Gotta share the good news, you know? :3

ANN's a cinch if you sign up for their RSS feed and just scan the titles. It makes life easier cuz, yeah, looking through their homepage is kind of a chore. =_=

Anyways, on to text some friends with the news. Huhuhuuuu~