PDA

View Full Version : Death Note!

Kenzieroo
01-01-2012, 08:02 PM
I just started watching it today, complicated but cool. I had no idea that a plot could get that weird!

All day Death Note marathon!!!!!!!!

Sylux
01-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Either Maximum the Hormone is getting to your head or English the Language is not your native speaks.

Kenzieroo
01-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Shut up.

Joosh
01-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Death note wasnt that great for me.

Sylux
01-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Shut up.

I hope you were being facetious.

Inksprout
01-01-2012, 10:08 PM
I really enjoyed death note but I think its over hyped. There are a lot of great animes out there but people watch death note then going around being like I LUFF ANIME. Like my bf only watches furry anime and death note and is all like I'm such a big fan of anime but he bluntly refuses to watch cowboy beebop or samurai champloo (both easily in the same league as death note) and I only recently managed to get him to watch FMA Brotherhood by pretty much forcing him to watch it at my place.

Kenzieroo
01-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Sylux, yes yes I am.

Inksprout, I agree with you.

ClockHand
01-02-2012, 01:35 AM
Dunno, Anime is not that great. Old school anime is awesome, and I love many series, but lately it has been very awful (preferring reading comics than watching the animes).

Now about Death Note, I think it would have been way better if L was fat.

butternut
01-02-2012, 01:39 AM
But it is a good one for the beginners. I mean, I followed suit - Started off with Cardcaptors (when I was 9-10 and didn't know 'anime' or anything except 'cartoons') and then later-later-on watched deathnote naruto etc etc and now I explore and watch others.

Deathnote was one of the first ones I watched and I was impressed (at least the first 15 or so episodes anyway).

jubeh
01-02-2012, 01:41 AM
I agree with clock. Would have been better if L was overweight.

Bacon_Barbarian
01-02-2012, 02:19 AM
http://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/12/12478/12778322.jpg

Mod edit: They just started watching it and you're posting spoilers without tags.

ClockHand
01-02-2012, 02:28 AM
Did you hear? some people haven't got there yet, asshole.

Bacon_Barbarian
01-02-2012, 02:35 AM
Yeah, sort of the joke. Slowpoke and what not.

jubeh
01-02-2012, 02:36 AM
Bacon you're banned from this thread

Bacon_Barbarian
01-02-2012, 02:39 AM
There are no rules against posting spoilers in the Manga and Anime Rules. I've done nothing wrong.

Sylux
01-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Oh shit yo

Byakuran
01-02-2012, 08:04 AM
... Man guys :l. get on topic.

Also i watched Death Note Relight, and i have to tell you i'm dissapointed.(i expected a lot more xD)
It is the story from " Ryuk's Point of View " but its like just a summary of the story with only like 1 minute of interesting thing you didn't know of... well you spuspect it but.. It turns out that Ryuk and Light meet in the Shinigami world and Light is a shinigami... who is going to earth for some fun xD

I love L btw :3

Sylux
01-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Wow that is the stupidest twist I have ever fucking heard

Byakuran
01-02-2012, 08:09 AM
It isn't a twist... >__>. Most of the people were supsecting it to happen, i thought of it too.

And im p. sure they're not gonna make ANOTHER death note story, since the video also had the cast interviews and stuff, and what the director says and all... Also it isn't like really told he is light but its way over implied :l.

Sylux
01-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Well I figured he was just an OP human

Kenzieroo
01-02-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm up to episode 21 and its a show that you can't really get away with skipping an episode and still understand what's going on.
I think L is awesome F**k team Edward and team Jacob I'm on team L.

If L was fat he couldn't sit in his chair like that.

Byakuran
01-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Lol, Twillight. ref xD.

Man L is just awesome... i sometimes have the feeling he got the short-end of the stick because the mangaka maybe just wanted to continue but since Light is the main character and all... ugh :l.

Sylux
01-02-2012, 10:52 AM
L was a horrible character he didn't even seem real it's like he was just some actor playing an impossible role even as an anime character, especially compared to the realistic Light

butternut
01-02-2012, 10:54 AM
I had stopped watching it the first time after L died (maybe an episode or two after). It's not because I like L, but the series did get extremely far-fetched. I finished it after 1-2 years because the OCD in me to finish what I start kept poking me.

edit: yes, i liked Light better too (not that i hated L)

Kenzieroo
01-02-2012, 11:11 AM
I still like L, Light's ok but I don't like his 'ideas' and yes the plot is far fetched that's what I like about it though. I like fantasy.

Slurpee
01-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Why wasn't L fat. I'd still like L if he was fat. I like fat people.

Byakuran
01-02-2012, 02:41 PM
lol Saph you may want to put a spoiler tag there xD.

Well L just uses sugar as his brain power, and his brain is awesome.

Kenzieroo
01-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Yes, his brain is amazing, but so is Light's and he doesn't eat that mutch...
HeHe

I'll take this chip, and I'll eat it!!!!!!

Saiyagal85
01-05-2012, 12:47 AM
I got into the Death Note fad a little later then everyone. I finally gave in once my brothers and their friends kept bringing it up. I spent many nights staying up late promising myself that "this will be the last chapter." I loved the story. Yes both Light and L were a little "superhuman," but hey it's fiction. I didn't watch the anime because I think it was better as a manga. Plus Light's voice didn't suit him very well. It sounded too young and innocent. As for L being fat, I think it is funny that all he eats is sweets and yet is a scrawny bean pole. Here I am diving into a bag of Twizzlers and I am not scrawny (fortunately I'm not overweight either).

Kenzieroo
01-05-2012, 10:23 PM
I thought Lights voice was perfect because he was a 'nomal' person.

Kodos
01-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Does anyone have that haiku I wrote about Death Note on one of the old boards? Because I lost that an I'd like it back.

Kthanx.

Celestial-Fox
01-06-2012, 01:58 AM
I HAVE IT KODOS. LET ME FIND IT.

Kodos
01-06-2012, 02:05 AM
<3<3

Celestial-Fox
01-06-2012, 02:13 AM
Wait, no. I lost it, but I remember the first two lines. In hindsight it was terribly ableist. >.>

[trigger warning]
His name, it is L
Genius who sits like retard
[1 2 3 4 5]

Kodos
01-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Yeah. I was a bit less sensitive to shit like that back then, although in my defense I still didn't like using the word - I think I was just unable at the time to find anything else to fit the stupid scheme.

I absolutely hate rhymes, meter, and haikus. Like, you have no idea how much I fucking hate them. It's so arbitrary. It's like "Hey, I want you to run this marathon." "Okay that's a bit hard but I think I can do it." "But first we will kneecap you." "Oh... Oh."

The worst was one creative writing professor who was all "meter gives language rhythm!" No! Fuck you! Language already has rhythm! That's why foreigners sometimes sound really odd even if their syntax and word choice is right - they don't know the rhythm of the language. Hell, that's why singers can pretty much rhyme anything with anything.

If I can be bothered and find the time, I'll try and crap out a less offensive "this is how much Kodos hates Death Note" haiku.

But seriously back on topic: that show is like Evangelion. It's basically Pretentious Bullshit: The Animated Series.

Celestial-Fox
01-06-2012, 03:48 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean, Kodos. And don't feel bad about being less sensitive. The point is that you've gotten better with it. :)

The only thing that makes Death Note come off so pretentiously to me that it's just so serious most of the time. It tries to convey huge messages to the reader, but it's seriousness makes the morality questions, etc, seem irrelevant.

Kodos
01-06-2012, 03:53 AM
I think the problem is that, well, it's anime as fuck.

You can't try and tell a serious story and at the same time have a character as ridiculous as L. Well, I rescind that, you can, but you'd have to be real damn good at what you're doing. And the fact that L is not the sole strange guy, but merely the most extreme one, yeah. I mean, the moment you have a character named fucking "Light" you are already stretching my willingness to take your story seriously.

But L? Man. His age stretches believability. His stupid name stretches believability. His inability to sit like a normal fucking human being stretches believability. His incredible thinness in spite of his diet stretched believability. And the fact that the last bit is handwaved by some brain bullshit that makes no fucking sense? Yeah.

Basically I think the problem is that on one hand Death Note is trying to tell a morally complex story, but it lacks moral complexity. It's trying to be taken seriously, but it lacks any seriousness. It's just assuming that everything will be given for granted, without actually realizing you need to actually be complex to have complexity, and that your audience will never take anything you do seriously unless you give them reason to.

And isn't there later a fucking character named Mello or some crap? Who's like even younger than L? I mean, that's like Resident Evil shit right there, Alexia graduated from college at, what, 12?

EDIT: Also, about the problem being it's 'anime' ness. I was actually discussing this with my cousin recently, and with Del some times back. Part of the problem is that Japanese media in general is very melodramatic and, well, bombastic as fuck. Japanese writers seem to have no inside voice when it comes to writing. I'm not saying anime can't be subtle - some can - but that most of the time everything is just very overdramatic and bombastic. This sort of bombast really makes it hard to take things seriously and also seriously hinders anime's ability to tell the sort of subtle, nuanced, story Death Note is trying to be. Death Note is trying to do something complex, nuanced, and ambiguous, but is doing so while screaming at the top of its lungs into a megaphone.

Kenzieroo
01-06-2012, 10:12 AM
I my brother eats like L and he's super skinny, it's called a high matabalizam(Or however that stupid words spelled.) I also know people who are almost as smart as L and are around his age, maybe that's why I find it realistic I deal with it daily And Lcan sit normal, he choses not to, anyone can do that.

Sylux
01-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Yeah. I was a bit less sensitive to shit like that back then, although in my defense I still didn't like using the word - I think I was just unable at the time to find anything else to fit the stupid scheme.

I absolutely hate rhymes, meter, and haikus. Like, you have no idea how much I fucking hate them. It's so arbitrary. It's like "Hey, I want you to run this marathon." "Okay that's a bit hard but I think I can do it." "But first we will kneecap you." "Oh... Oh."

The worst was one creative writing professor who was all "meter gives language rhythm!" No! Fuck you! Language already has rhythm! That's why foreigners sometimes sound really odd even if their syntax and word choice is right - they don't know the rhythm of the language. Hell, that's why singers can pretty much rhyme anything with anything.

If I can be bothered and find the time, I'll try and crap out a less offensive "this is how much Kodos hates Death Note" haiku.

But seriously back on topic: that show is like Evangelion. It's basically Pretentious Bullshit: The Animated Series.

Waaaaaaat but songs are good :C

matabalizam

metabolism

Kodos
01-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Songs are good. That's my point. Language has a natural rhythm. You don't need meter or rhyme to create rhythm in language. Meter and rhythm are wonderful tools and can help do things that you might not be able to do as well, or at all, otherwise, but to claim that language needs meter and/or rhythm in order to sounds melodious, beautiful, or flowing, is just silly.

Sylux
01-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Rhymes can often be really good, especially done well. Poe sort of freestyled kind of with his meter, but he did it wonderfully. A good example of excellent rhythm in prose is Lake's voice-logs in At the Mountains of Madness. It reminded me of Mordin, though it should have been the other way around.

Delphinus
01-06-2012, 02:53 PM
I wrote this about Death Note on a different forum.

Death Note straddles the line between shonen and seinen, and fails in what it tries to do. It is ostensibly set in the real world, with the exception of the fantastic element of the eponymous notebook. Yet the characters are caricatures and their responses are hilariously overblown for the sake of drama; see the infamous potato chip scene. In an anime that focuses on the relationships between people and the extent to which the antihero exploits them, simplifying the psychology of the characters only damages the story and makes it less believable. For that matter, while Light is the best-written character in the story, he's a very by-the-book antihero: his own narcissism causes him to fall from a position of power. There's little ambiguity in the series' portrayal about whether what Light is doing is right: he's evil, that's that. Ambiguity is limited to fan conjecture. Death Note is a guilty pleasure of mine because it has the ingredients of a fantastic anime, but it's marred by poor execution.

Kodos
01-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Which is in a lot of ways what I said. I think Eva and Death Note are both really exemplary anime because they not only show very clearly the weaknesses in writing many, if not most, anime (and video games) exhibit, but also because they are so blatant that in a lot of ways they are like the Star Wars prequels or Dominic Deegan; they teach by way of counter-example. They show how not to do what they are trying to do and fail so spectacularly in the trying that they clearly illustrate what is being done wrong.

Kenzieroo
01-06-2012, 09:34 PM
I stick by what I said.

ClockHand
01-06-2012, 09:35 PM
I stick by what I said.

matabalizam?

Sylux
01-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Lol you got gotten by a non-native English speaker

Kenzieroo
01-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Not my falt no one tryd to teach me to spell, and my retard eye sigh keeped md from reading until third grade. If it weren't for that I might be as smart as my friends think I am, schools are stupid.

ClockHand
01-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Not my falt no one tryd to teach me to spell, and my retard eye sigh keeped md from reading until third grade. If it weren't for that I might be as smart as my friends think I am, schools are stupid.

I need a translator.

Kenzieroo
01-06-2012, 10:22 PM
I can't reply to that.

jubeh
01-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Eh talk about death note

Kenzieroo
01-07-2012, 12:34 AM
The movies are cool, I watched the first one and I'm ganna see the second one soon.

Celestial-Fox
01-07-2012, 01:40 AM
The way the movies were executed impressed me. I expected something of far lower quality. I mean, obviously we're not dealing with cinematic masterpieces because it's live-action anime, but I thought it was good. and the actual dubbing into English was wowing. That was worth a gold star. BUT THE CGI ON RYUK--WHAT EVEN, JUST. NO.

jubeh
01-07-2012, 01:45 AM
I hated the movies

Kenzieroo
01-07-2012, 01:53 AM
We'll thanks for being a party pooper. :/

ClockHand
01-07-2012, 01:43 PM
The movies shown in a more explicit way how cartoon-ish and poors are the characters.

Celestial-Fox
01-07-2012, 02:56 PM
I agree that the characters in the movies fell flat, but that was an error of source material, imo. Like Clock said, the characters in the manga/anime are like caricatures and hard to believe--when you put them in live-action human form, they just kinda kill themselves. What I meant n my original post was that the cinematography was actually fairly decent compared to most other live-action Japanese films. Many Japanese filmmakers resort to older styles of filming (lots of weird panning, montages, etc), but this one came off as fairly modern, which I didn't expect at all.

But yeah, the writing in it was "eh." Again, given the source material, it is what it is. It's like trying to make a quality Twilight movie--it's not possible.

Kodos
01-07-2012, 03:25 PM
I disagree strongly about that last part, Seefs. I think a Twilight movie could be absolutely fucking amazing. I'm not being hyperbolic. Just do it from a more neutral point of view. Don't try and ignore the fact that all the characters are selfish, broken, people (or, in the case of Edward and friends, selfish, broken, abominations). Revel in the horror of the situation.

Granted, you'd then be left with basically a heterosexual version of Carmilla, only now Laura is also an asshole and totally into Carmilla's creepy possessiveness, but still. I think the basic aspects of Twilight could make for an amazing fucking horror story, and that Carmilla is proof of this.

The problem is that Mayer is such a shithead that she doesn't see the horror in what she has written. She fails to see that Bella and Edward are both assholes in a terrifyingly unhealthy relationship.

But, as for Death Note, I never saw the LA films, but yeah. I imagine putting a story like Death Note to film with live people would just exacerbate the problems I mentioned.

Could work as a silent film, I imagine, though. At least the bombast and melodrama would not be out of place.

Celestial-Fox
01-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Oh yeah, definitely. I agree about Twilight. But there's problem with making a film adaptation of something like that and trying to stay close to the source material, because the source material is too weak. Like you said, those characters could make a terrifically horrible (<-- intentionally) plotline with deception and fear in all the right places. The film writers definitely could have went that route, but the only things that would parallel between the films and the books would have been the characters themselves. The plot lines, etc, would be totally different. (Again, not to say that it's a bad thing in this situation.)

I don't think you could have done that with either Death Note or Twilight, because the only audience for those movies anyway were fans of the source materials. But if you change the film to move away from the source materials, the fandom does not agree with that most of the time.

Emi_Higurashi
01-12-2012, 03:38 PM
I like Death Note, but it really reminds me of a yakuza or something. I still like Death Note, only because my mom makes me watch it with her EVERY saturday. Maybe it's because I told her that L was a detective and he's like the puppeteer or whatever. She scares me sometimes, she even makes me cosplay as Light just so she can act like L and call me "Kira"....How do I get rid of an Death Note adict?
(BTW I always happen to say "I will kill L" just to make her leave me alone :D )

Bacon_Barbarian
01-12-2012, 03:46 PM
http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/cant-tell-if-trolling-or-serious.jpg

Kodos
01-12-2012, 09:05 PM
I like Death Note, but it really reminds me of a yakuza or something. I still like Death Note, only because my mom makes me watch it with her EVERY saturday. Maybe it's because I told her that L was a detective and he's like the puppeteer or whatever. She scares me sometimes, she even makes me cosplay as Light just so she can act like L and call me "Kira"....How do I get rid of an Death Note adict?
(BTW I always happen to say "I will kill L" just to make her leave me alone :D )
http://www.randomtuesday.com/archive/Battlestar&#37;20Galactica/Season%203/301/what_what.gif

toast
01-12-2012, 09:16 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/126/314/3cd8a33a.png?1306264975

Joosh
01-12-2012, 09:26 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/554/facepalm.jpg

Sylux
01-12-2012, 09:33 PM
http://gamersmafia.com/storage/comments/277/77/what.gif

jubeh
01-12-2012, 11:01 PM
http://i30.tinypic.com/2cftjk6.gif

ClockHand
01-12-2012, 11:26 PM
You know, you should post some pictures.

Kodos
01-12-2012, 11:42 PM
http://i30.tinypic.com/2cftjk6.gif
We need to get Manny in here to explain this shit. Because this shit is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

Hayashida
01-13-2012, 01:13 AM
But I'm not doing anything, I'm just strolling up the beach with my discretely pregnant Brazilian girlfriend; and then the boat appears, laden with paparizzi, and I'll say "You filth, take a photo of me if you must, but leave her out of this, she didn't ask for any of this, she's just an ordinary lingerie model".

jubeh
01-13-2012, 01:21 AM
Okay lets steer this back on topic

Bacon_Barbarian
01-14-2012, 12:51 AM
Potato Chips. Potato Chips everywhere.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/037/945/Picture_14.png?1318992465

Kirikou
02-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Hi five!

T1B3R1U5
02-07-2012, 02:34 PM
Lets play...Do you wanna have fun? I know I do...

http://scifimafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Death-Note-Manga-Wide-560x284.jpg