PDA

View Full Version : What's your idea for a game?

Saiyagal85
12-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Hopefully this has not been asked, but I didn't feel like surfing through the different threads to check.

Anyway, my question is that we have all played some type of video game in our life. I would like to ask for your idea on a game that you would like to play or create.

My idea is a game where YOU get to decide the outcome of the story. The plot of a game ALWAYS has the same ending. Some nobody is chosen to collect magical items in order to fight the overly powerful villain and save the princess and the world. Wash, rinse, repeat. No matter how many times you play it, the outcome is always the same. Well I say there should be a game where the choices you make determine the story.
The hero wakes up. He has received a summoning from the king. You have two choices to make; (1) answer the summon, (2) go give the annoying boy next door a wedgie for replacing your shampoo with glue.
One of the two choices will determine what happens next in the story.
(1) Chat politely with the blond girl in the pink dress (2) Make-out with the brunette in the silk robe.
The one you choose will be the girl that you rescue.
Blah...blah...etc...and so forth.
I honestly think that this will make a great game. Your choices will determine who are your friends, who is your enemy, and which girl your character will be smooching on in the last dungeon.

So what are some of your ideas and what do you think of mine?

ClockHand
12-23-2011, 12:45 PM
I want to make a game so fulled of bugs that the only way to win is to fulfill every bug on it in 4 seconds.

GunZet
12-23-2011, 01:21 PM
I'd like a full life simulator game, so that I can test out multiple decisions before actually making a decision. Effectively becoming 101% at life, unlike somebody I know.

Delphinus
12-23-2011, 05:27 PM
I want to make a game so fulled of bugs that the only way to win is to fulfill every bug on it in 4 seconds.

this would be awesome

jubeh
12-23-2011, 08:35 PM
A game where you are a giant set of dice rolling people around

GAbRieLWrIgHt
12-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Hopefully this has not been asked, but I didn't feel like surfing through the different threads to check.

Anyway, my question is that we have all played some type of video game in our life. I would like to ask for your idea on a game that you would like to play or create.

My idea is a game where YOU get to decide the outcome of the story. The plot of a game ALWAYS has the same ending. Some nobody is chosen to collect magical items in order to fight the overly powerful villain and save the princess and the world. Wash, rinse, repeat. No matter how many times you play it, the outcome is always the same. Well I say there should be a game where the choices you make determine the story.
The hero wakes up. He has received a summoning from the king. You have two choices to make; (1) answer the summon, (2) go give the annoying boy next door a wedgie for replacing your shampoo with glue.
One of the two choices will determine what happens next in the story.
(1) Chat politely with the blond girl in the pink dress (2) Make-out with the brunette in the silk robe.
The one you choose will be the girl that you rescue.
Blah...blah...etc...and so forth.
I honestly think that this will make a great game. Your choices will determine who are your friends, who is your enemy, and which girl your character will be smooching on in the last dungeon.

So what are some of your ideas and what do you think of mine?

jerk, you stole my idea... -.- i've always wanted to make a game like that, RPG style. That would be a SUPER rpg

jubeh
12-23-2011, 10:12 PM
A game where you are a horse that best on humans that are racing.

Saiyagal85
12-24-2011, 01:06 AM
jerk, you stole my idea... -.- i've always wanted to make a game like that, RPG style. That would be a SUPER rpg

Jerk? You hurt my feelings. :(
I say great minds think alike! :) Maybe someday there will be a game like that. And yes it would be a SUPER RPG!

Saiyagal85
12-24-2011, 01:07 AM
A game where you are a horse that best on humans that are racing.

That sounds awesome! LOL!

Regantor
12-24-2011, 08:55 AM

Welcome to Daikatana. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daikatana)

As for the thread starter's idea... It's basically what Fable has been teasing us with, and failing to deliver, for years. To be fair, through, I can only imagine what poor sap they could actually get to record those thousands upon multi-gajillions of possible dialogue choices. :p

Sylux
12-24-2011, 12:32 PM
From what I understand Mass Effect 3 is gonna have different endings so you're too late guy

Saiyagal85
12-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Different endings is a start, but my idea is that your choices affect the ENTIRE story. Who your enemy is, who your friends are, and who your character is going to be smooching on in the final movie clip.

THAT'S the kind of RPG I'd like to play! One where the whole story will never be the same twice; unless you pick the same choices over and over again.

ClockHand
12-25-2011, 12:47 AM
Different endings is a start, but my idea is that your choices affect the ENTIRE story. Who your enemy is, who your friends are, and who your character is going to be smooching on in the final movie clip.

THAT'S the kind of RPG I'd like to play! One where the whole story will never be the same twice; unless you pick the same choices over and over again.

So you want a game that it can be another different game?

Saiyagal85
12-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Did you ever read those Goosebump books where the narrator is you and you have your two friends who always talk you into doing something that would get you killed? In those books at the bottom of the page you are given two options. You choose one and continue until you die. Example:
You are in a carnival at night before the carnival opens. You and your two friends sneak into the carnival. Your friend Bob says, "Let's ride the Haunted Mansion." Carrie disagrees and says, "Nah, let's go to the Fun House!" They look at you for your answer. At the bottom of the page it gives you two choices. "Go to the Fun House, turn to page 45." "Go to the Haunted Mansion, turn to page 103."
Pretty much what you choose tells the story. Either way, it's RL Stine so your going to die. (LOL)

My idea for an RPG would be similar, except you are not turning pages. Your decisions will determine what happens in the story.

You see your old friend, Morphias, running away with a glittering, gold box in his hand. You believe that the box may contain the cursed gem that you are seeking, but you are not sure. You are given two choices. "Follow Morphias" or "Leave him and his golden box alone."

If you chose to follow Morphias, you save him from being possessed by the dark spirit in the gem and transforming into your enemy, then he joins you on your quest. If you chose to leave him alone, he'll of course be cursed and become your enemy.

That's what I mean. The game will be filled with these questions and all of them will affect the game's story. The game will never be the same unless you always give the same answer.

Delphinus
12-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Tbh it would probably be easier to work with procedurally-generated characters with simple qualities to them and opinions. You'd have to have very simple responses, but you could have a tangled web of interactions based on characters' opinions. For example, Lord Snootypants could be pompous, which Lady Ramsbottom despises. As the player interacts with her, they have the option of moaning about Lord Snootypants' pomposity with her. However, if Lady Ramsbottom is particularly talkative, then she may speak to her son, Mr. Ramsbottom, about your opinion of Snootypants. Mr. Ramsbottom is engaged to Miss Snootypants, and tells her about your opinion of her father; word reaches Lord Snootypants and his wife about your supposed dislike of him (though you may simply have been agreeing with Lady Ramsbottom to garner her favour), and Lord Snootypants becomes irate with you, foiling your plans to seduce the younger Miss Snootypants, the former's sister.

Interesting social interactions; court intrigue. I think you'd be hard-pressed to integrate this system into a more traditional game though.

EDIT: I think my Christmas Day binge of Jeeves & Wooster is showing through

jubeh
12-25-2011, 01:13 PM
A game where you are a banana that can fire itself out of its peel to elude monkeys

ClockHand
12-25-2011, 01:21 PM
A game where you are a banana that can fire itself out of its peel to elude monkeys

It sounds like my sexual life.

Hell_Baron
12-25-2011, 06:03 PM
A grass growing simulator.

Fenn
12-25-2011, 09:30 PM
A presidential campaign simulator. Choose from preset classes, which would be your personal history (lawyer, businessman, politician, etc.), select different social scenarios with different issues, and try to be elected president. Hire campaign staff, work on ads, have debates with other candidates, etc. If you win, you get to manage the country for a few years. Either way, when reelection comes your actions the years prior will affect the public opinion of you.

Play through a long single-player (literal) campaign, play custom campaigns, or try your luck online with the multiplayer election mode, where you manage your campaign over several real days against other players.

Inksprout
12-26-2011, 04:09 AM
On the choose your own narrative game: The trouble with making a game like that comes from making the choices seem meaningful in the context of the game. In a book the author just writes why you should care either way, or maybe just leaves it as an open choice. In games its more difficult. If a game is too open ended you might feel like there is no real point in doing things one way or the other. Thats why a lot of games that allow for choice divide the options into a sort of 'good' or 'evil' grouping. It gives the player a greater sense of meaning with what they are choosing to do.

jubeh
12-26-2011, 04:30 AM
A game where at the start you break up with somebody you see every day and you spend the rest of the year avoiding them cleverly.

CypressDahlia
12-26-2011, 07:12 AM
That's like Metal Gear solid except all of the guards are you ex-girlfriend.

Lucy
12-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Oh god Cype this mental image you just gave me. I can't stop laughing.

But anyway, I've had this idea for a while now which would basically be a cross between Space Station 13, Dwarf Fortress and a Roguelike. Basically a randomly generated space opera

GunZet
12-26-2011, 12:25 PM
A game like Dead Space, except you can only use your environment to slow down enemies that are just as fast, and just as deadly as the original enemies. So you toss shit in the way and use wits, in an attempt to run for your life to a safe spot. Sorta like Amnesia but action oriented.
And that's my idea of the day.

Fenn
12-26-2011, 08:26 PM
I love this thread.

A The Last Airbender fighting game. The cast and variety of movesets is limitless.

Inksprout
12-26-2011, 09:30 PM
I want to make an arsty kind of a game about a butterfly where there are as many levels as there would be days in the butterfly's life cycle. The whole point of the game would be fore the butterfly to fly from where it hatches (in the city) to a place in the country side where it can meet a mate/die happy. The player would have to navigate obsticles such as weather, plants and animals etc.

jubeh
12-27-2011, 12:09 AM
A game where you play as fenn

Regantor
12-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Oh god Cype this mental image you just gave me. I can't stop laughing.

But anyway, I've had this idea for a while now which would basically be a cross between Space Station 13, Dwarf Fortress and a Roguelike. Basically a randomly generated space opera

This actually sounds awesome. I have no idea how someone would go about giving it a 3D interface, but the idea of a DF-sized universe with each system being the size of a tile is pretty wicked. Imagine the sheer scale of things, zooming in and having each planet be a tile within that, then zooming in again and having each ship be a tile within that, until you finally end up with people-sized blocks. That would kick Eve online's ass any day. :3

Black_Shaggie
12-27-2011, 12:48 PM
A fighting game where you can customize your avatar's appearance, fighting style & supernatural abilities except the world is free roaming & you can just about choose any path you want to as your fighter gains experience & more power. You could be a pro fighter & still go out and street fight, but the media could find out. Or you could be a street tough & start a gang. You could be a traditionalist who studies his art diligently...whatever. But, the game environment would not only fit your custom play, but create scenarios to try & stop you at whatever your ultimate goal was. The game would also create an antagonist for you to constantly have to deal with that would be the antithesis of your goal as fighter. (i.e., if your a disciplined fighter, he/she would be a street fighter with so much raw ability that he's better than most trained martial artists). Also, I'd love it the controls were simple yet completely articulated especially if you were doing advanced moves.

Someone please tell me there's a game like this & I buy it today.

Evil_Cake
12-27-2011, 01:03 PM
a game where u throw boxes 2 achieve ur goals

jubeh
12-27-2011, 03:22 PM
a game where u throw boxes 2 achieve ur goals

Dammit cake

Evil_Cake
12-27-2011, 04:07 PM
and u put stuff in the box to change it's qualities when u throw it

Fenn
12-28-2011, 02:05 PM
A game where you play as fenn

You'd need a supercomputer to play it.

Saiyagal85
01-06-2012, 01:35 AM
I've got a challenging game! You're a teacher who has to teach a class of juvenile delinquents! The goal of the harder levels is to teach in other countries and you have to change your tactics in order to fit their culture. No Christmas lessons in the middle east (boo) and they are a social community so GOOD LUCK TEACHING OVER THEIR CONSTANT CHATTER!

It will be the most challenging game EVER!

ClockHand
01-06-2012, 01:40 AM
And the most challenging game to make.

But remember, gamers are assholes and they probably are going to teach how to kill other students.

GunZet
01-06-2012, 01:48 AM
I wonder what would happen if I taught the students how to become a better teach than myself.

Sylux
01-06-2012, 01:03 PM
I wonder what would happen if I sent them all into space

T1B3R1U5
01-06-2012, 02:34 PM
But remember, gamers are assholes and they probably are going to teach how to kill other students.
^---As being a gamer meself, I'm guessing I'd have to fit into that category, eh? :cat_evil:

Hell_Baron
01-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I wonder what would happen if I sent them all into space

I'm guessing something along the lines of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVn1oQL9sWg

CypressDahlia
01-08-2012, 01:08 AM
sounds like Great Teacher Onizuka: the game

Delphinus
01-13-2012, 03:25 PM
If you made a game where there were no NPC quests but you could gain exp in non-combat or combat skills independently, then fleshed out both combat and non-combat and made everyone intereliant (farmer gets flour, eggs, milk in harvest moon style, sells to baker, who bakes and sells cake to adventurers and others), then you could have the start of a real online community, rather than 'lol lets quest together'.

Also players giving quests to other players isn't explored enough

^ in a conversation with Kodos

Fenn
01-13-2012, 07:11 PM
^Great idea, to which I add: can non combat skill mechanics/resource collecting be actual parts of the gameplay? As in, more Harvest Moon-style farming where you actually have to think about what you're doing, not "click click click run to bank run back click click click." Same with mining, cooking, and any other skills. Make me feel like getting resources is part of the game, not a necessary evil, because in the latter case it's like having a second job (bad Runescape memories).

Also in the RPG field, I'd like a game that deals with leveling up using a "nutrition" system. It would play off the concept of "you are what you eat." You can consume a amount of food/nutrients at a time until you are full. Food increases your stats, but what stats and by how many would depend on the type and quality food/meal/nutrient.

As an example: healthy foods don't provide any/many immediate boosts, but provide potential permanent stat boosts for players who eat them and then utilize that stat. Eat lots of healthy food and you will benefit in the long term. Junk foods provides immediate stat boosts, but these boosts are temporary and drain over time. Eat a lot of junk food and you will breeze through challenges made for your current level, but as the difficulty mounts you will have to rely on finding increasingly strong junk food to bump your stats up enough. Some foods will also include secondary effects like curing specific illnesses/status effects.

ClockHand
01-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Fable II has some nutrition system (reduced in: fat).

jubeh
01-13-2012, 07:27 PM
One of the coolest things in fable 2 was making your guy a fat cross dresser. I'm not being sarcastic I think that's seriously cool to have as an option.

ClockHand
01-13-2012, 07:29 PM
And fuck a lot of fat hookers.

Yeah, it was cool, like you could actually make your guy fat, evil and flamboyant at the same time, not many games can achieve that. But it was quiet dumb, like anything made you fat, and I'm not kidding.

jubeh
01-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Yeah, it was cool, like you could actually make your guy fat, evil and flamboyant at the same time, not many games can achieve that.

That's what I'm talking about. My dude was like a fat kefka from final fantasy mixed with a wild west hooker.

Delphinus
01-14-2012, 12:44 PM
^Great idea, to which I add: can non combat skill mechanics/resource collecting be actual parts of the gameplay? As in, more Harvest Moon-style farming where you actually have to think about what you're doing, not "click click click run to bank run back click click click." Same with mining, cooking, and any other skills. Make me feel like getting resources is part of the game, not a necessary evil, because in the latter case it's like having a second job (bad Runescape memories).

That's what I meant when I said to flesh out both combat and non-combat. Harvest Moon probably has the best farming gameplay of any game, although it's a bit slow-paced; you'd need to make crops grow in a day or three (real-time) to have an effective system. Or just make them grow only when the controlling player is online and put them in an instanced set of fields. To effectively farm you need to take care of soil conditions and water the crops at least once every (time period). Make it possible to buy cheap or common farming resources (tomato seeds, cows, etc.) from an NPC merchant, but have rarer resources only be obtainable by adventurers.

As a farmer, you have the option to go and quest by yourself, but you'll be weak as hell. So instead you can post a request up in the local tavern (or something) for adventurers to go and fetch you a Crystal Tree Seed. In exchange you'll give them 500gp and 25 apples (they stop you starving). While at the tavern, you discover the local baker wants some cake ingredients, and will pay you 250gp for them. "Aha!" you think, "This should offset the cost of that Crystal Tree Seed!" So you fulfil his request.

You log off. The next morning, you play again, find that your request's been fulfilled and plant your Crystal Tree Seed. When it's fully grown, it produces between 1 and 5 crystals every 4 hours, depending on soil conditions and how well you care for it. You post up crystals for sale in the local marketplace, and lots of enchanters buy the crystals to produce wands with. Now you're earning a decent amount from crops, animal produce, and crystals, you decide to expand your farm to have 100sqm of field space (it only had 50sqm). This further bolsters your productivity...

So yeah, if handled well, it could be just as fun as any other game. Adventurers are the final consumers of products but there're many crafters who rely on adventurer's services and sell to them. It would require a lot of thought to go into development to make sure no profession was obselete and that any new professions fit into the existing infrastructure well, but I think, if done successfully, it would make for an exciting MMO experience.

Didn't Tale in the Desert do something similar?

CypressDahlia
01-15-2012, 03:04 AM
Harvest Moon probably has the only farming gameplay of any game.

Fenn
01-16-2012, 05:16 PM
That's what I meant when I said to flesh out both combat and non-combat. Harvest Moon probably has the best farming gameplay of any game, although it's a bit slow-paced; you'd need to make crops grow in a day or three (real-time) to have an effective system. Or just make them grow only when the controlling player is online and put them in an instanced set of fields. To effectively farm you need to take care of soil conditions and water the crops at least once every (time period). Make it possible to buy cheap or common farming resources (tomato seeds, cows, etc.) from an NPC merchant, but have rarer resources only be obtainable by adventurers.

As a farmer, you have the option to go and quest by yourself, but you'll be weak as hell. So instead you can post a request up in the local tavern (or something) for adventurers to go and fetch you a Crystal Tree Seed. In exchange you'll give them 500gp and 25 apples (they stop you starving). While at the tavern, you discover the local baker wants some cake ingredients, and will pay you 250gp for them. "Aha!" you think, "This should offset the cost of that Crystal Tree Seed!" So you fulfil his request.

You log off. The next morning, you play again, find that your request's been fulfilled and plant your Crystal Tree Seed. When it's fully grown, it produces between 1 and 5 crystals every 4 hours, depending on soil conditions and how well you care for it. You post up crystals for sale in the local marketplace, and lots of enchanters buy the crystals to produce wands with. Now you're earning a decent amount from crops, animal produce, and crystals, you decide to expand your farm to have 100sqm of field space (it only had 50sqm). This further bolsters your productivity...

So yeah, if handled well, it could be just as fun as any other game. Adventurers are the final consumers of products but there're many crafters who rely on adventurer's services and sell to them. It would require a lot of thought to go into development to make sure no profession was obselete and that any new professions fit into the existing infrastructure well, but I think, if done successfully, it would make for an exciting MMO experience.

Didn't Tale in the Desert do something similar?

Yeah! We could probably make this an app for crying out loud. Turn on your iPhone or Android to manage farming, buying and selling for a few days, then log on using a PC to play the full game. It would be a neat way to suck players in to the game too.

The biggest challenge is preventing every player from being sucked into adventuring, a.k.a. make sure the other roles players can chose are somehow as exciting or at least as enjoyable in some way as adventuring, even if it's a different kind of fun. Farmer isn't exactly a thrilling lifestyle. To add to the unknown element, there should be dynamic factors like weather, seasons, geography, and wildlife to contend to. Keeping track of weather reports and learning from past experiences would be important, as would understanding what grows best at what time of year in what soil, and what animals and insects are attracted or repelled by certain plants and how to defend against them.

Delphinus
01-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Fenn, a good model for how interactions between different characters would work in this hypothetical MMO can be found in the Three-Sector Hypothesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-sector_hypothesis) of economics. The aim would be to have a balance similar to the models of the Traditional or Transitional periods here. Adventurers and merchants would be the only service roles, and to an extent the line between the adventurer and merchant would be slim, while the number of primary and secondary-sector workers would be rather large and fill the non-combat roles of the game.

I've already stated how adventurers would make their living: by fulfilling contracts for farmers, bakers, etc. Merchants would make money by purchasing goods directly from their producers and selling them elsewhere at a profit. In a town where there are few miners and many blacksmiths, the more precious mined goods will sell at a premium. Gold, silver, hell, mithril, assuming a fantasy setting, would make you a bomb. So merchants would spend their time shipping goods from one town to another, and probably fighting bandits on the way. This provides a benefit to the merchant as well as to the overall economy - the merchant receives money, and the prices of goods all over the kingdom are equalised.

For that matter, the bandits who intercept merchants while they travel would be a valid position for players to play: their aim is to kill the merchants and take their goods. Particularly notorious bandits could have contracts put on their heads by irate merchants, and this gives adventurers another job: escort duties. I imagine both the position of a notorious bandit and of a well-known guard would hold some prestige. Imagine your horror as a newbie adventurer when The Dread Rogerstein and his band of ruffians shows up on a routine assignment, ganks you and the merchant you're trying to protect, and takes all your gear. To add insult to injury, you fail your escort mission.

With a model like this the complexity just keeps on spiraling on and on. Unlike Runescape, where non-combat skills served very little purpose, this would make them essential and a worthy pursuit.

ClockHand
01-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Merchants should be able to put a summon to sell stuffs on town.

What would stop the miner to sell without the need of the merchant? Also you need to put a blacksmith in here (the most important job).

Delphinus
01-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Well, the miner could travel across the map to sell goods, but it'd take them a long time, and they'd probably make more money by spending their time mining. Assuming they can mine an iron bar per minute, and the iron bars sell for 3gp in the town where they're abundant, they'd need to be more expensive by a factor of 1/minute. So if you can sell iron bars for 15gp in a town that's a 5-minute round trip away, you'd break even. If they sell for less, you make less money in relation to time.

On the other hand, merchants would buy in bulk, making the amount of time it'd take them to mine a certain quantity immaterial: if they buy 200 iron bars for 3gp then resell them all for 15gp, they make a profit of 2400gp. I imagine you could institute weight limits to make it practical to trade only if you have the correct equipment to do so (horse and cart?).

Fenn
01-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Very interesting...I'm liking this 3-sector economy idea. Of course, in order for merchants to be effective a transportation system will have to be in place. I suggest that, in order to avoid too much downtime, players should have productive things to do whilst travelling (other than being attacked by bandits). But that's another story.

I'm still seeing an issue though. When I create a character, I see these options at the moment: Adventurer, Merchant, Farmer, Miner. The first two are far more interesting and attractive to new players. To counter this, some element of combat would probably be allocated to the farmer and miner: farmers combat widelife, which has poor intelligence compared to humans and human AI but is naturally stronger, while miners would have to deal with similar dangers to merchants (bandits, competing miners, etc.)

But where does this leave the middle tier of production? How exciting can playing as a sewer, a blacksmith, or a chef really be? I'm not criticizing, by the way, simply posing questions to progress the creative process.

ClockHand
01-17-2012, 04:45 PM
The game should start with adventurer, so you can "test" those jobs doing quests. And for Merchants, you can solve any problem giving them a summon/npc to sell things while they travel.

The problem is that it can become repetitive and you need to find a way to make farmer and miner as exiting as the merchant or blacksmith.

Regantor
01-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Why not just ditch the adventurer as a class altogeather? It's not as crazy as it sounds; The game which Minecraft is based on, Infiniminer, actually had competative aspects, but they were later ditched by the creator when he realised people prefered to just create things. Thus, the former was inspired.

Spawning enemy creatures, on the other hand, should totally remain. They just become a problem that the town must deal with collectively, probally via some type of town militia. Which is the point of the game in the first place, right?

Just my two cents.

Fenn
01-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Why not just ditch the adventurer as a class altogeather? It's not as crazy as it sounds; The game which Minecraft is based on, Infiniminer, actually had competative aspects, but they were later ditched by the creator when he realised people prefered to just create things. Thus, the former was inspired.

Spawning enemy creatures, on the other hand, should totally remain. They just become a problem that the town must deal with collectively, probally via some type of town militia. Which is the point of the game in the first place, right?

Just my two cents.

Good points, both by you and Clock. I mean, back in ye old times everyone knew how to fight in some way, be they miner, farmer, merchant, whatever. So everyone can get in on the fighting and combat, and those who choose can elect to dedicate themselves solely to this art. They lose the benefits of resources or crafts that the other roles receive, but get opportunities to fine-tune their combat with special training, and can hire themselves out as guards or mercenaries. Meanwhile, farmers, miners, blacksmiths, crafters, etc. still have a role to play in defending themselves and their friends in combat.

ClockHand
01-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Good points, both by you and Clock. I mean, back in ye old times everyone knew how to fight in some way, be they miner, farmer, merchant, whatever. So everyone can get in on the fighting and combat, and those who choose can elect to dedicate themselves solely to this art. They lose the benefits of resources or crafts that the other roles receive, but get opportunities to fine-tune their combat with special training, and can hire themselves out as guards or mercenaries. Meanwhile, farmers, miners, blacksmiths, crafters, etc. still have a role to play in defending themselves and their friends in combat.

Naa, not everyone could. Mining, Farming and Fighting were specializations that not everyone could do. If you were a farmer and you wanted to be a soldier, you would have probably die or become a milice, which mean you would be the meat to be killed first. While a warrior trying to understand the cycles of harvesting would die at not understanding why everything was dying.

Fenn
01-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Naa, not everyone could. Mining, Farming and Fighting were specializations that not everyone could do. If you were a farmer and you wanted to be a soldier, you would have probably die or become a milice, which mean you would be the meat to be killed first. While a warrior trying to understand the cycles of harvesting would die at not understanding why everything was dying.

What I mean is every dude and his brother had a sword or hatchet stored somewhere in case they had to defend themselves. I'm not suggesting interchangeable roles, I'm just suggesting everyone gets a cut of the action. A soldier isn't going to learn how to farm, but maybe a farmer needs to grab a weapon and fend off some NPC baddies. It's better than paying $50 or a monthly subscription just to plant seeds and sell corn.

The other alternative is to provide lots of entertaining ways to spend your surplus money. If farmers can only farm and don't get to fight, they need some aspect of the game to entertain the player. It would be cool if, for instance, your farmer or miner could sponsor a soldier to fight in competitions, which would create a whole other dimension to the game and make the resource and crafting focused roles more entertaining.

ClockHand
01-17-2012, 08:35 PM
What I mean is every dude and his brother had a sword or hatchet stored somewhere in case they had to defend themselves. I'm not suggesting interchangeable roles, I'm just suggesting everyone gets a cut of the action. A soldier isn't going to learn how to farm, but maybe a farmer needs to grab a weapon and fend off some NPC baddies. It's better than paying $50 or a monthly subscription just to plant seeds and sell corn.

The other alternative is to provide lots of entertaining ways to spend your surplus money. If farmers can only farm and don't get to fight, they need some aspect of the game to entertain the player. It would be cool if, for instance, your farmer or miner could sponsor a soldier to fight in competitions, which would create a whole other dimension to the game and make the resource and crafting focused roles more entertaining.

Naa, they need a Blacksmith and he is not going to make a sword for a peasant who doesn't know how to use it, and if he does, he is going to give you a piece of shit that its pretty unbalanced. The only advantages are Axes, which are the reason why "barbaric" groups could fight against the romans (they use axes and when they defeated their enemy they pick the well made sword).

That's why the Blacksmith is so important, without him you don't have axes, swords, pickaxes, shields, nails, etc.

Fenn
01-17-2012, 08:45 PM
Naa, they need a Blacksmith and he is not going to make a sword for a peasant who doesn't know how to use it, and if he does, he is going to give you a piece of shit that its pretty unbalanced. The only advantages are Axes, which are the reason why "barbaric" groups could fight against the romans (they use axes and when they defeated their enemy they pick the well made sword).

That's why the Blacksmith is so important, without him you don't have axes, swords, pickaxes, shields, nails, etc.

Clock, we aren't going for medieval realism here. Otherwise players are going to log onto the game, click create-a-charater, and see this:

Soldier: Exceptional at combat, gets to travel the world using powerful weapons and equipment and protecting the lives of others while gaining glory. A member of the upper class and highly respected.

Farmer: You get to grow crap on your tiny plot of land all day, and sell it to people so they can go off and have real fun. You're a worthless peasant and people treat you like dirt.

Players who select farmer and miner deserve an equally enjoyable, although vastly different, experience as those who pick soldiers. If that doesn't happen, you have an overpopulated, starving, armorless soldier class--despite the efforts of the ten poor souls who chose farmer and miner.