PDA

View Full Version : Most awkward, enjoyable or worst moments with other artists.

ClockHand
12-20-2011, 11:52 PM
I bet many people have meet other artist, some better, older or crazier and most of these encounters can become in bitter or really enjoyable experiences.

Tell your most enjoyable moment, your worst moment and the most awkward moment. What have you learn and what have confused you; your impressions of those encounters are thanked.

Bacon_Barbarian
12-21-2011, 01:42 AM
Does this count? I think this counts.

I knew I would regret coming in this thread. Good art. Good coloring. See if you can find a life drawing class, that's fun. Use spoilers. *head-desks*

She already used the NSFW in her topic >_> Chillax

NSFW isn't visible if you just click on the thread from the main page. *grumbles about the human form being nasty*

You're in the wrong field of hobby if THAT is your perspective on the human body.

Oh, I know. I have no intentions of ever doing anything serious, so it doesn't matter. :P

Anyway, keep up the good work.

^ what a horrible attitude towards art.

GunZet
12-21-2011, 01:47 AM
My worse moment came when Cype revealed to everyone that he just draws for the tits. And I draw aiming towards my career, and I don't even know how to draw a decent woman. Shattered.

Sylux
12-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Cype is also a pedophile so don't feel bad

Slurpee
12-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Tell Cype I draw for tits too. We have something in common.
FRIENDSHIP:cat_embaressed:

Gedeon
12-21-2011, 07:38 PM
i draw to stand out from the crowd, and because i enjoy it. The worst possible moment with another artist was when i asked for one guys opinion, i repeat OPINION!!! Dude garbed my notebook and said Quote : " OK let's see......pretty decent anatomy, small head...and.....oh ...pfft....what the heck i this......no really this is disgusting. How could her leg possibly be like that (starts sketching over the finished "product"). Me: aw men come on, don't draw over my stuff, im glad you want to he- He interrupts: Art needs sacrifice, and especially if its.....like this. " ................. RAAAGE! It would've been just fine if it was some guy that draws WAY better then me (11-18 of the people that were there) but he was really a beginner! I'll admit he knew what was wrong with the drawing, no problem there, even that he drew over my finished stuff. That could have been either erased or worked along those guide lines. But the dude pressed so hard that it could have been seen 4 page's after! Never again did i ask his opinion. or at least i was a couple of feet away for him when i did ask.

GunZet
12-21-2011, 08:20 PM
That's cause for an ass whoopin', man. I know I would trip balls if someone blatantly drew over my stuff.

Cloudy
12-21-2011, 08:25 PM
I would bite that guys head off if they did that to me >_>

Gedeon
12-21-2011, 08:34 PM
.....^its really hard to imagine that.......since your pic in the "what do you look like thread, and all the cutsy(pervy) stuff i associate you....

Sylux
12-21-2011, 08:55 PM
You're Serbian, right? Couldn't you have just looked at him a certain way and given him brain damage or something?

Joosh
12-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Giving out my DA thats got nude stuff in it to peers and people I know IRL

"I swear im not a pervert or something its just practice..."

Celestial-Fox
12-22-2011, 12:58 AM
I got sent to the principal's office for the bloody content of my sketchbook. The principal, my art teacher, my mom, and the counselor were waiting for me there.

/eyebrowraise

Bacon_Barbarian
12-22-2011, 01:04 AM
Oh lord. If teachers looked at what I draw in class.

Celestial-Fox
12-22-2011, 01:43 AM
I'm not ashamed of any of it. Maybe that's a problem and I just don't know it yet.

Sylux
12-22-2011, 02:32 AM
I draw horrible monsters and my teachers say "oh cool keep making an A"

Celestial-Fox
12-22-2011, 04:32 AM
(Lol, I got Fs)

Cloudy
12-22-2011, 06:31 AM
^what did u draw that they thought was so awful? :x

Gedeon
12-22-2011, 09:41 AM
I bet its something including bones and skull's :D ?

Sly: Yeah well Serb powers don't work on other Serbs D:\

ClockHand
12-22-2011, 12:04 PM
I got sent to the principal's office for the bloody content of my sketchbook. The principal, my art teacher, my mom, and the counselor were waiting for me there.

/eyebrowraise

That is retarded. But well, you know you did nothing wrong; the sketchbook is personal.

GunZet
12-22-2011, 01:00 PM
I once drew this anime dude holding a gun to his head with a hysterical look on his face, and blood dripping from his mouth. My teacher just told me to stop drawing on my assignments, lol.

Sylux
12-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Yeah that's pretty much been the norm for my teachers my whole life except in private school the teachers there were twats

Matt
12-22-2011, 02:40 PM
One of my friends sits across from me in art class. He's good at drawing and all, but we disagree on one major aspect of art:

Reference and life drawing.

He thinks reference has no place in art, and that true art should always be from imagination. I believe that reference and life drawings are essential parts of an artist's growth and that drawing "from the heart" should come after the artist has a solid foundation in the basics (or while s/he is learning the basics). Two other people sit at our table. One sides with him and the other sides with me. I'm willing to accept that I may be wrong, but I doubt the old masters were wrong when they drew from life pretty much every day.

GunZet
12-22-2011, 03:53 PM
The old masters practically traced, that's how they were able to achieve such realism. I learned this when I took my last art appreciation class, I forgot exactly hat period it was, but they had used these boxes which reflected a picture back at them, and then they basically drew/painted over that. Meh, I forgot most of it.

Psy
12-22-2011, 07:08 PM
I hated my drawing 1 class at jc. It was just a class that you had to take to get to the other art classes and I was ostracized. I apperently made the newbs around me feel bad about their skill level so they refused to partner with me or sit by me.

The teacher was ok but he kept pushing for me to become an art major and would be like "you don't want to be a culinary major. You know how much sweat is in their food?" "wow you could make a living at this. Just switch to an art major and we can get the rolling." we would be doing an assignment and he's come whisper to me "Show them how it's done." I couldn't ask the other people if he was pressing them to be art majors because I didn't know anyone but I'm sure he was.

Most other meetings are pleasant enough and like an exchange of ideas and exp. one of the guys I work with is trying to make a manga.

Sylux
12-22-2011, 07:18 PM
You should tell him about the site. I'm sure he'd not only be appreciative, but he would find a niche community of friends here to talk to. And the traffic is always good for Rio.

Celestial-Fox
12-22-2011, 08:56 PM
what did u draw that they thought was so awful? :x
I got Fs because they said I "display a technical mastery" but don't draw with any "emotion." Or something. I don't know; I think my dismembered body images were fairly indicative of how I was feeling. :|

I bet its something including bones and skull's
Yeah, that. Severed heads. Blood, lots of that. Hands screwed to the table.

That is retarded. But well, you know you did nothing wrong; the sketchbook is personal.
Well, it was my course sketchbook, meaning that I turned it in for evaluation every two weeks. /shrug

Matt
12-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Oh, come on. Classical art is filled with blood and violence. Failing someone for drawing that in art class is like denying artistic heritage.

You should show us that picture. I can't think of what good it'd do, but if it's something that got you, of all people, sent to the principal's office--well, I'm curious now.

spidergoth
12-22-2011, 09:49 PM
The old masters practically traced, that's how they were able to achieve such realism. I learned this when I took my last art appreciation class, I forgot exactly hat period it was, but they had used these boxes which reflected a picture back at them, and then they basically drew/painted over that. Meh, I forgot most of it.

Oh I remember this from my art history class the camera obscura! ^_^

GunZet
12-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Hahaha, yes, thanks for refreshing my memory.

jaidurn
12-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I only make friends with people who draw, pretty much. Most of my friends are chill, but there's this one dude who talks to me everyday and I don't know why. I mean, he just talks about 3d modeling and dragon age.

Oh, but seriously, most of my drawing friends irl make me draw when I'm around them. I apparently don't draw enough. One of them wants me to attract the worst of the worst weeaboos so I can have some weeaboo horror happen. I'm all for it.

Evil_Cake
12-28-2011, 05:51 PM
i made a friend at some art sale but then she died

nextweek
01-03-2012, 03:10 AM
I hated my drawing 1 class at jc. It was just a class that you had to take to get to the other art classes and I was ostracized. I apperently made the newbs around me feel bad about their skill level so they refused to partner with me or sit by me.

The teacher was ok but he kept pushing for me to become an art major and would be like "you don't want to be a culinary major. You know how much sweat is in their food?" "wow you could make a living at this. Just switch to an art major and we can get the rolling." we would be doing an assignment and he's come whisper to me "Show them how it's done." I couldn't ask the other people if he was pressing them to be art majors because I didn't know anyone but I'm sure he was.

^ This ... I hated that .. made me look like "That one dude" I wasn't told to "show them how it's done" but when the teacher would walk around and look at what people were doing, he'd really give them a lot of advise and help them. He'd get to me "omg keep going"

Gave me a B in the class and never told me what I was doing wrong... I hate that

Matt
01-03-2012, 04:33 PM
I finished my art project over Christmas break, but once I got back in art class, my friends and I chatted the entire block about where we'd put our portals if we had portal guns. The top five:

1. Computer room - Kitchen
2. Computer room - Bathroom
3. Home - Town (three of us live at least 15 miles from the school)
4. My basement - Their houses (I have the most gaming equipment and the best computer, sadly)
5. My sauna - Their houses (no more heat bills!)

And I just had to drop the "Hey, guys. We're thinking with portals" comment. I thought my artistic friends and I were super nerdy together. Then I got to tech prep, where my programmer friend and I started joking about C++ header files and Python modules.

Sylux
01-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Wow dude you are an ultra nerd

Joosh
01-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Im ashamed to even know you.

Matt
01-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Ouch.

jaidurn
01-04-2012, 09:09 PM
-High fives Matt-
You're the greatest.

Cloudy
01-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Lol I said "you have to think with portals" to some mother wanting to buy the game when she asked what you do in it...she just stared and me and I smiled :)

I work at a game store dude I'm allowed x3

Celestial-Fox
01-06-2012, 02:33 AM
Gave me a B in the class and never told me what I was doing wrong... I hate that
Wah, that suuuucks. Did you ever ask?

nextweek
02-11-2012, 04:35 AM
Wah, that suuuucks. Did you ever ask?

Well... I did... and ended up getting a nada back...

Just one of those dudes...

SuperKasey
02-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Me: *drawing in sketchbook during thanksgiving. current sketch depicts an OC peeling back his own skin with hooks on chains, has ripped out his own heart and is happily examining it*

Grandmother: *hovers over shoulder* Wow Kasey, that's really. . . cute. Do you draw animals Kasey? I like animals. You should draw animals LIKE YOUR MOTHER. YOUR MOTHER is a fantastic artist. In fact I think her skill level was just a little better at your age but your work isn't bad but YOUR MOTHER. . . blah fucking blah. *Proceeds to bitch my mother out about raising me wrong*

Mom: *comes over to me a few minutes later and tells me to add more blood and organs*

Sutari
02-11-2012, 07:18 PM
>Flies to michigan (first time i ever went to the US)
>Stays with my dad's mom's friend
>Sets up tablet and laptop on livingroom table
>Continues drawing what i started before i went to the airport
>Dad's mom's friend's sister stops over
>She looks over my shoulder
>Asks "How do you know you're the one drawing that?"

>I dont know how to respond

I just... dont know. My dad says she works for a bank and doesn't believe in any kind of natural talent. She doesnt even know how to work a computer, so i'm not that upset, its just... ugh

BECAUSE ARTWORK FALLS FROM THE SKY

/rant over

Matt
02-12-2012, 03:23 PM
That sounds a lot like psychology class: "How do you know I'm your real teacher? I could be a fake, having locked your real teacher away in a closet."

Or: "How do you know that we all see colors the same way? My red could be your blue and we'd have no way of knowing."

But your grandma's friend just... defies all logic.

Chuchu
02-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Well, I have a few ones to tell. Two of them are practically the same though. >.<

When I was little I drew this doll and showed my mom, and she was like, "You didn't draw that, did you?" I was like "of course!" She didn't believe me at all and said I probably traced it from some coloring book. I put a lot of effort into it and well at that age you think, "If your parents don't believe you, who will?" So I gave up drawing and have regretted my stupidity ever since. -__-''

Second one was a couple of years ago when my mom went through my reference folder of girls in nude poses that I had drawn up, you can imagine how that turned out, lol.

And the most recent one was this week. There are certain things you just can't outright tell your parents without drama ensuing, so I decided to use my pencil to get the message across and drew up a poster for my moms birthday. I posted a part of it online to get some opinions and this one guy wrote, "You didn't draw that, and why would you draw a pic of a nude chick for your mom?"
I wasn't sure if he was serious or joking, but he really didn't believe I drew it because I couldn't prove it. He then proceeded to post his own drawings in my thread to show me that his was "genuine." (A bunch of pokemon drawings btw)
I ended up writing, "I did draw it, inserthisusername" on a piece of paper and tacked it onto the original poster and took a picture of it for him.
He apologized so we're cool now! ^^''

And I gave the poster to my mom this morning and to my surprise, she liked it!

Cloudy
02-25-2012, 12:43 AM
your parents seem the opposite of mine, mine were always encouraging and stuff :x

jaidurn
02-25-2012, 02:27 AM
Woah parents are encouraging? Mine just wants me to get a job doing something that'll make me money.

Evil_Cake
02-25-2012, 02:45 AM
isnt dat encouraging

Cloudy
02-25-2012, 04:02 AM
Mine were like that too jai LOL but they were always encouraging when it comes to my hobby :3

Anyway back on topic

I had a friend like that at school Chu chu, that said I didn't draw something.

Chuchu
02-25-2012, 05:18 AM
My mom has been pretty encouraging ever since I started back drawing; will' lecture me senseless every time I draw a girl with a bust, but she's encouraging nevertheless. XD

Really, Cloudy? What became of that friendship?

Woah parents are encouraging? Mine just wants me to get a job doing something that's not illegal, requires college experience, requires hard work, requires brainpower, requires a degree in business that'll make me money and be enjoyable at the same time.

Edited to reflect my parents personal opinion. T_T

Sylux
02-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Oh every time I show my mom my work (even stuff I have been paid for) she's like oh I dun have tiem go do chorezzzz eurgh I'mma fat jewish nagger

Slurpee
02-25-2012, 03:59 PM
My teacher looked into my sketchbook and said my drawings looked nice.
With all the amounts of boobage in there I'm convinced my chemistry teacher is gay now.

Sylux
02-26-2012, 01:44 PM
I met a young artist and she called me Papi but her heart it got stolen by an Ardat-Yakshi. :(