PDA

View Full Version : Alex's House of MehDiocrity (AHOM)

alxsmpgmr
01-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Here is my first drawing. I know it isn't that good. I used pencil and colored pencil cuz i don't have any fancy software.

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/007/2/1/random_face_by_alxsmpgmr-d36o5l3.jpg

Electric_Nomad
01-08-2011, 07:00 AM
I cannot say that's a piece of art, but all I can say is that you are off with a good start. You can certainly draw, and have a good attention to details - I specifically like the nose.

Draw more, and see how will you get accustomed. Progress.

alxsmpgmr
01-08-2011, 12:40 PM
thanks :D i am currently working on another one, and its looking better so far.

alxsmpgmr
01-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Well, here's my next attempt. I drew this one up last night, then colored it in with paint.net (a substitute for photoshop)
Here we go

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2011/008/e/3/e32d9fd90cdfe092b8079d0f4652d1ee-d36pdsz.jpg

nisaren
01-08-2011, 07:11 PM
You're off to a good start. As with anyone that's getting going you just need to work on proportion. One thing in particular that I noticed was the placement of the eyes. Eyes are one of the most important parts of the face and its placement and shape can really affect the expression and feeling of the face.

Some good general rules to follow at first is to place the eyes about 1/2 of the way from the bottom (anime/manga artists usually go between 1/3 and 1/2 of the way from the bottom). If you are going for realism or semi-realism you should make sure that there is one eye width between them and usually the head size is 5 eye widths apart. From the eyebrow line you can determine the nose (half the distance between the chin and eyebrow) and mouth lines (half the distance from the nose to the chin).

It's annoying to remember at first but there's some good guides on the site to read through if you want more info. It's just one of those things you need to practice correctly until it becomes automatic. Hope that helps some. Keep drawing and I'm sure you'll keep improving. :)

alxsmpgmr
01-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks, i'm currently working on a quarter view drawing, so i'll keep this stuff in mind.

alxsmpgmr
01-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Ok, i have my next drawing done. I downloaded GIMP and toyed around with that for the coloring/shading.

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/008/7/9/attempt_3_by_alxsmpgmr-d36qmnh.jpg

alxsmpgmr
01-10-2011, 07:42 PM
ok, i have decided that i am not going to color my drawings due to the annoying shading process that i suck at. until i can draw good without the shading, i am going to only submit b&w drawings.

nisaren
01-10-2011, 08:29 PM
That's a good idea. It's easy to get hung up on coloring. If you have strong line art then coloring gets a lot easier. If I was in your shoes, I'd be looking to do a lot of sketching, preferably with pencil and not on the computer. My reason for that being that it's better practice since you can't just undo/transform/etc. to fix things.

*stands up on his soapbox*
The first thing you should probably decide on is what your goals are. Your goals will define how and what you practice. Goals give you an endpoint to strive for and something to measure your progress against. This is something that everyone should do regardless of whether their just starting out or a professional. Everyone can improve at something and goals are part of that process. *gets down from the soap box*

alxsmpgmr
01-10-2011, 08:34 PM
thanks for the tips.
goals huh.
well,
1: my goal is to be able to draw manga to the quality levels seen in proffessional manga by this time next year.
2: to be able to draw anything with a high degree of quality so as to assist in game design and game art in 2 years.
3: to be able to color using computer media to a high quality in 3 years.

i wanna make games as my career, luckily i am still in high school, so i want to be an excellent artist by the time i leave high school (2 years)

nisaren
01-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Well, that's a start. I realize that I misspoke in my last post - you shouldn't think of your goals as endpoints but rather as milestones. I'm not sure I would put a time limit on this kind of thing. They're definitely good goals but I think that forcing yourself to feel like you have to achieve something within a certain amount of time can lead to frustration and ultimately feelings of failure if you are unable to. Setting realistic goals is important. Maybe these are realistic for you, but it would be unfortunate if you stopped trying because you put your goals out of reach.

So now that you have your goals, how are you going to achieve them?

alxsmpgmr
01-10-2011, 10:12 PM
well, to start, i actually just set those dates so as to: 1 challenge myself, and 2 give a good amount of time.
anyways, i will achieve these goals by practicing my sketching by drawing different varieties of objects. then i will upload them here for criticism and to get advise on how i can approve. from there i will continue to practice until i am satisfied with my ability compared to professional manga. from there, i will practice more, and eventually move onto other artistic styles. once i feel i have earned a solid foundation in a variety of styles, i will move onto computer aided coloring/editing. at that point, i will probably be old enough to work and will be done with high school. at that point i will begin to do commissions on DA and look for jobs as a graphic artist. after that, i will hopefully go to college as either a game designer or game artist, at which point i continue to practice and learn. after that, i will either apply at different gaming companies and/or begin making indie games. after that, well, i'll hopefully be working in a job i love and have a lot of creative freedom in. this is my goal and how i will achieve it. :D

alxsmpgmr
01-10-2011, 11:30 PM
well, now my avatar is my next upload. the shading was the hardest part. took my about 2 hours total. anyways, here it is

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2011/010/2/6/epic_1_by_alxsmpgmr-d36wtcy.jpg

alxsmpgmr
01-11-2011, 09:54 AM
here is another one i drew a couple months back. took me about a week to finish with all the details. its not manga, but i still wanna have it looked at.

http://th09.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011/011/7/5/ezio_1_by_alxsmpgmr-d36xjnp.jpg

alxsmpgmr
01-11-2011, 05:17 PM
well, if i were to draw a serious manga about mario (not that that could exist) this is what it would look like. my scanner cut off part of the sketch for some stupid reason. there was a koopa paratroopa that mario was shooting at, but its not there now T.T

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/011/b/6/epic_mario_by_alxsmpgmr-d36xvqm.jpg

alxsmpgmr
01-13-2011, 06:35 PM
T.T no replies

jaidurn
01-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Anatomy is looking a bit off in the torso. Looking at references will help you as you try to improve. Go to posemaniacs for good pose help and anatomy practice.

alxsmpgmr
01-16-2011, 01:11 PM
thanks! i'll check there when i start my next piece :D

Fenn
01-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Seems like your improving. I like your avatar, but I suggest avoiding lined paper in the future except when the theme/style calls for it. I just feel like it draws away from the art itself. That being said, it worked pretty nice actually for your avatar.