PDA

View Full Version : Dunno if this belongs here, but to all of you who wanna be published in Jump

snowb400
12-03-2011, 04:49 PM
To all out there who want to be published in Jump, (myself included), how exactly do you hope to accomplish that? When I was a little younger, I just expected to suddenly learn Japanese and go to Japan to work for Jump, but that doesn't seem too likely anymore. How are you going to go about make money for your art? Learn Japanese, go to Japan? Start a new magazine, but in whatever country you live in? Find a less known publisher in your country and get published? Please post ideas here.

Sylux
12-03-2011, 05:16 PM
You really can't. Number one, the Japanese are generally xenophobic, and number two, their language is difficult, and cannot be mastered in quite the same way as a native speaker has so easily. Actually, now that I'm on it, number three, you aren't so attuned to their culture and society, more specifically their society. It will be hard to estimate exactly what the people want, simply because they are so different.

snowb400
12-03-2011, 06:38 PM
So find another publisher or start a new one?

Sylux
12-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Well, what country do you live in? American publishers are generally very open to other nationalities of talent.

snowb400
12-03-2011, 07:14 PM
I live in America. So you say you'd find another publisher?

Sylux
12-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Absolutely! Honestly, I don't think I'd have any hope with Shueisha, period, especially because of from whereabouts in America I came.

Black_Shaggie
12-04-2011, 08:02 PM
I agree with Sylux. I don't think it would be impossible...be really really hard. Hell, it's hard enough period for you get your submitted work publsihed stateside. I'd try smaller companies 1st were I you though....and not expect to become a superstar even if your shit's that good (which my own is not lol).

Here's one I'd try: www.antarctic-press.com

A few of my pals have published stuff with them & that's cool. I'd try myself, but I lack skill and confidence ATM. Besides, I've been doing game illustration for the past year now & the game company I work for is giving a lot of time to develop a book based on the game.

You could self-publish too. I know it sounds like a risk....but what are you in this for? Money? Okay, yes. But, I sense that you also just want to get your stuff out there too. There's all sorts of ways to promote your work before you get the approval from a major publisher.

Rio
12-05-2011, 12:42 PM
You really can't. Number one, the Japanese are generally xenophobic, and number two, their language is difficult, and cannot be mastered in quite the same way as a native speaker has so easily. Actually, now that I'm on it, number three, you aren't so attuned to their culture and society, more specifically their society. It will be hard to estimate exactly what the people want, simply because they are so different.
Number 4: You'll be competing with native aspiring manga-ka's and considering all of the above, you're going to have it even harder.

Another thumbs up to Antarctic Press. They're the only indie comic publisher that really do pick up unknown artists. Not only that, they let the artist keep their IP and all rights to it unlike Tokyopop which pretty much screwed aspiring artists over. Anyways, there's a list of sites that I think you may be interested in: Resource (http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/resource/). Check 'em out!

Sylux
12-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah this comic artist Becky Cloonan whom I know personally got completely fucked over big time by TOKYOPOP. They forced her into ending it about 15 volumes too short and kept the rights to it and unsigned her. So no money for Becky Cloonan.

Bacon_Barbarian
12-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Also, I guess Dark Horse. Though Mark Crilley already had a bit of a following.

Rio
12-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Also, I guess Dark Horse. Though Mark Crilley already had a bit of a following.That's the thing. If you make work and build up a following, the chances of you getting picked up by a publisher is higher than if you just came off of the street and asked for a deal. So your best bet is to just start making manga, get your stuff out there, improve, hustle, and be persistent about getting your work out to those publishers.

AudriCantDance
12-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Number 4: You'll be competing with native aspiring manga-ka's and considering all of the above, you're going to have it even harder.

completely agree with this. They are probably better at it as they know what the local crowd of readers like to read, they probably have better resources/connections and hell, its japan! there are too many great mangakas to compete with! stick to your home turf.

Delphinus
12-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Also a mangaka is just an artist who happens to draw in manga style. Why not draw western comics; why does it have to be manga?

jubeh
12-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Maybe if you're an artist. The standard of writing in american comics is about a million times higher than it is for manga.

Delphinus
12-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Granted, but, in both cases, most people seem to be artists first and writers second.

ClockHand
12-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Mostly in comics (more in USA comics), the writers are writers first than anything else. If you see the works and projects of most comic books writers (not artists), you are going to see that they have worked in movies, tv series and some in their own books.

Rio
12-28-2011, 06:48 PM
That's why you should do slice of life or kid-aimed mangas if you aren't that great with writing a story. I'm kind of surprised there isn't more smart children's manga out there. :\

ClockHand
12-28-2011, 06:54 PM
That's why you should do slice of life or kid-aimed mangas if you aren't that great with writing a story.

I don't find those genres "easy" to write; the big deal with those is that there is a common belief that those are weak in story, so are easy to approach/write, but sadly this belief come with the repercussion of many sad and poor executed mangas. And this doesn't happen only in those, both shounen, shoujo and others genres have been raped plenty of time, reason why we see so few good mangas per year (do a insight of mangas released in 2011).

T1B3R1U5
12-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Is it just me or does every one sound condecending? O.o It could just be me...I don't know. Anyways, to stay on topic. It depends on the quality of your work, the publishers themselves, and the audience you are trying to reach out to. Yeah, sure you can be fucked over by Japanese people, but who cares. Screw them. They can be the best publishers for awesome stuff, but still I don't trust 'em. So, it's really up to you for one. Secondly, who knows where you can take your manga or comic. And third...oh wait thats all I had to say.

jubeh
12-28-2011, 08:56 PM
Is it just me or does every one sound condecending?

You are not imagining this but it's not because because we're trying to break the OP's heart. There's nothing wrong with reaching for your goals, but it doesn't hurt to know that your goal is nigh impossible.

T1B3R1U5
12-28-2011, 09:06 PM
That is very true Jubeh. And yes, it is good to know the reality of things when reaching for one's goals.

snowb400
12-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Oh! I am back on to MT! Was busy with all those school projects due right before Christmas. But question! How exactly would you guys recommend putting your stuff out there? Right now I'm posting the Solstice pages on Smackjeeves and the forums here, so do you mean just put it out there somewhere, or are there specific places that would be best?

Bacon_Barbarian
12-29-2011, 11:57 AM
SmackJeeves and deviantArt. And, if you're ballsy enough to go with it, show it to people you actually know via Social Networking sites.

GunZet
12-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Post it everywhere you can where you think people would be interest. That includes DA, SJ, MT, maybe you have a blog, put it there too, and various other places.

Delphinus
12-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Don't use DA it's full of furries and other perverts

GunZet
12-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Hahaha, man that's a good joke. Good thing you actually meant SJ. DA only has perverts.

Chuchu
02-16-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm going to make a post on this, since this is something I've also wanted to achieve for a very long time now. It's longer than I intended, so sorry for that (and any typos) ><''

BTW I agree with something Sasaki Hisashi said, more countries should form their own unique manga culture so that more people can get their work published. I want to see this happen too, but I'm the type of person who likes to defy the odds and blaze a trail for others.

Remember, this is just my two cents. Don't be offended by anything because that was not my intention.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I first realized that it was something I wanted to do, I didn't write on a forum to get peoples opinions; it's not that I didn't want them to crush my dreams like so many others, it's just that they are themselves and I am me; "I don't let people limit me to their own capabilities and set conception of how the world is and should be." No matter how cocky you think that sounds, it's the cold truth. Every now and then someone is born that crosses the line of what's impossible and what's possible; why can't that person be you?

I'll admit I'm only 15 and I have a lot of growing up to do, but I've given this a lot of thought over the years so please don't brush me off as some, "immature-happy-go-lucky-idiot-who-doesn't-know-jack-about-how-the-real-world-works," as many others seem to do every person on the web who states they want to make a manga in Japan.

Like everyone has pretty much said, your chances of going to Japan and getting published are pretty much 0&#37;. "But 0 is where everything starts. Nothing would ever be born if we didn't depart from there, nothing will ever be achieved-Kudo Shinichi" Sorry, just had to write that no matter how cliche or childish you think it sounds. ><

Anyway, Sylux made some very good points that cannot be ignored, if you don't know any Japanese and you don't have the patience and resolve to study and give it everything you have then you're already screwed.
But don't be discouraged by that, Japanese is not an impossible language to learn. It's difficult in the beginning, but it get's simpler once you get the basics down. If you want to learn it which is a necessity, then apply yourself. "Things in this world don't conform to you; YOU have to change them for yourself." The internet today is an amazing thing, there are so many ways to study languages online. I've never stepped one foot into a Japanese 101 class, everything I know I learned from online and from actually communicating with natives for myself. When I first started, my Japanese friends couldn't understand jack about what I wrote to them; but now it's the little things they correct me on and I've been told by a friend who went offline for a couple of months that he was surprised that my Japanese sounded much more natural when he came back. So yeah, it's not impossible.

Phew, that only covered the Japanese part and there are still points to be made! ><

Japanese are very xenophobic and while we're at it Whites saw Blacks as inferior beings. And women were thought to be less competent than men. But look at us today, we've come a long way and tore a lot of set barriers and mindsets down, haven't we?
You may not think those are the best comparisons for a entirely different culture and country but, people everywhere have the same ability to change as any other person.

Anyway, if the language part didn't deter you let's move on to the manga part. ^^''

Don't just sit around polishing your skills and hoping to go to Japan and get published one day. Get something published in your own country, make a name for yourself where you are. "The first step to changing the bigger "unchangeable" things in life, is to change the smaller things around you." Mangatutorials has a list of publishers you can go to, like Rio mentioned. Build a fanbase and let people know who you are and what you're trying to accomplish. I write and draw because I have a story to tell, a message to send and a world that needs to be changed.
And make sure you improve your artwork and storytelling abilities to there utmost ability, like Rio said, "You'll be competing with native aspiring manga-ka's and considering all of the above, you're going to have it even harder." You need to have a story they simply cannot turn down.

Now about publishers like Shueisha. I've been following updates on them about accepting foreigners. I believe about three or four years ago someone posted that they had contacted Shueisha and recieved a reply saying something along the lines of, "we do not accept entries from foreigners." That crushed a lot of peoples dreams and initiated a little online bashing of Shueisha. But the most recent statement is, "Yes we do accept and review all international entries for all of our awards, but sorry guys, only in Japanese for now."
If you follow Sasaki Hisashi on twitter, you could read some of the things he has to say on the topic. I read his interview in the January issue of Shonen Jump and I'm sure it's posted on their site somewhere.
Shueisha is my goal, but that doesn't mean it's the only way. If you want to get published in Japan and you don't have any preference for which magazine it's in, then I'd say go Kodansha all the way. They publish some of your favorite series like Fairy tail, Air Gear, Cage of Eden, Bloody Monday, Code Breaker, Kimi no iru Machi etc...And so far they are the most accepting publisher for foreigners that I've found so far. They hold a international contest in search of manga talent around the world, so you can try that. They've stated that, "There is a growing interest among Japanese in manga created outside of Japan." So go for it!

I can elaborate a lot more on some stuff, but this is turning into the longest post I've written of a forum, ever.
So I'm going to end it with these two things:

1. There are people out there with the same goal as you and they are trying just as hard. I haven't found many legit ones yet, but I can give you two names of people who are out there.

Jamie Lano- She worked as a assistant for Prince of Tennis, and is currently working towards getting published in Ribbon (A Shojo magazine published by Shueisha.) She blogs about her experiences and stuff, so I'd check her out.

Felipe Smith- He was actually published with Kodansha and I believe he has four volumes of his manga now. Listen to his pep talk on youtube.

And finally don't let people discourage you; when they tell you that it's impossible I'm sure most are blunt and may seem cruel, but they mean well.
When it's all said and done, it's ultimately up to you to decide your own way.

Remember that quote from Bakuman that I'm sure spurred all of us along a little?

"...Before I started writing manga, I was just watching the days pass by, but now every day is fun and I feel like I'm really living; so I'd rather follow my dreams now and live with the regret later, than regret never following them in the first place."- Takagi from Bakuman

LINKS-
will be added~

ClockHand
02-16-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm going to say what I always say.

If your reason to work in mangas/comics is only to be published in Shonen Jump, you are misguided of the real purpose of doing those. I'm not going to point the fact that achieving this goal is almost impossible, but rather the misguided goal from a person who wants fame, recognition and by part of the only publisher he/she knows.

This concept is like become a book writer only to get one of your books made into a movie. It's a sad goal.

PD:
Why would you want to reach Japan if you can reach the entire world?
And yeah, wanting to be published in shonen jump is a childish goal.

Chuchu
02-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Of course if you're in it just for fame, then you're already on a road to disappointment. I think everyone who draws/writes understands that.

ClockHand
02-16-2012, 03:22 PM
I don't think everyone understands that, because almost every new member in MT that try to do a "manga" is just doing it to get published in Shonen Jump or in another Japanese publisher.

I think it's stupid, because if you really love doing this, you want to get reads from the biggest amount of people as possible. Ones you get published in Japan, you reduce the amount of people in a ridiculous way. Prove of this are the 2 persons you just named, no one knows them, almost no one had read their works, and probably in Japan they didn't sold good (I understand that having only 4 volumes mean the publisher drop your work because it didn't sold).

We are blunt with all the new members about this, because in one part we want them to grow up, so they can evaluate their goals and see that they have misguided reasons. That outside of Japan there is a world (literally) and it as rich as any other place. We are not trying to bash their goals because we are evil or we don't want people to achieve their dreams, but we are, because they are young and their knowledge about the world is very biased and narrowed.

Chuchu
02-16-2012, 03:44 PM
And believe me, I understand, respect, and appreciate people for that. Most people respond to threads like this in a pretty rude manner, I read previous replies and the OP response and that was all very refreshing.

Thinking it's stupid is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but I think if the artist is stubborn about it and isn't a child the best thing you can do is give them the all of the facts and let them make their own decision.
I want to get published in my own country for myself, if you can't manage that then what's the point in doing it somewhere else first? And I think the appeal to certain people about getting a manga published in Japan is it's popularity there. They think you have a better chance in a more manga-orientated society than their own.

And for the people I mentioned, I know that they aren't any Kubo Tite but I think the fact that he actually got something published is an accomplishment in it's self, no matter how many volumes it had. And I was only trying to give the OP a chance to hear the advice from people who have actually done it as opposed to us who can only offer our secondhand advice.^^