PDA

View Full Version : So how would one,become a maga artist From USA--> Japan?

tag654
11-21-2011, 12:55 AM
So I'm in my Junior year of high school..(15 1/2 going on 16 in a week)though my dream is to be a manga author/artist in japan - mangaka...How would one do this.....like would I have to attend college in the USA,or is there a certain school in japan I could go to...Would I have to know a lot of Japanese to do this or will I have a translator....?

Just so many questions,well its just something that has been on my mind....So please try to answer in the fullest detail,if u know!

- TAG

*sorry,about posting in the wrong section...truly had no idea where this kinda thing would go!XD
Rio should make a "general questions" section.:D

ClockHand
11-21-2011, 01:05 AM
Holy Macarones Batman! This is the wrong forum!

ram
11-21-2011, 01:12 AM
Welcome to your own destruction, You just posted something like this in the chatterbox, Prepare for the worst possible answer you can have in your life.

weez18
11-21-2011, 01:18 AM
awww man i feel bad for u lol this is basically the spam part of the forum u just posted in...so dont expect to get a real answer lol

jubeh
11-21-2011, 01:36 AM
I wish ceta were still around

GunZet
11-21-2011, 02:26 AM
Dude, Ceta would murder Tag.

jubeh
11-21-2011, 02:51 AM
Yeah but he'd be super honest about it

Hell_Baron
11-21-2011, 03:06 AM
http://www.heliosdf.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ed-209.jpg

POSSIBLE WEEBABOO THREATH IDENTIFIED. EVERY NON-WEEABOO SENTIENT IS ADVISED TO HIDE BEHIND A CONCRETE OBJECT OR WALL IN A FETAL POSITION UNTIL THE WEEABOO TERMINATION SEQUENCE IS COMPLETED. EVERY POSSIBLE WEEABOO IS ASKED TO GATHER IN A SQUARE OR CIRCULAR FORMATION UNTIL THE TERMINATION SEQUENCE IS FULLFILLED.
INITIATING WEEABOO TERMINATION SEQUENCE IN 3...2...1...

pajamajam
11-21-2011, 04:15 AM
The closest you're gonna get is if you somehow manage to become a comic artist in the US who just happens to draw manga-style. You still have to have skills, so go to art school or something. And don't use anime style as a crutch while you're learning.

Also, don't call yourself a mangaka unless you're Japanese. It sounds retarded.

tag654
11-21-2011, 06:03 AM
I feel bad now.:{ XD

So....where would I post this....*looks at pure nothingness and despair*

Fenn
11-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Drawing and Tutorials or Manga Works

Matt
11-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Yeah, you could just have this thread moved. Regardless, Pajamajam was right. You need legitimate art education and you need everything a standard comic artist would. The only difference, I believe, would be the art style and probably the audience.

I'm not too much older than you, so I can't give any post-high school advice, but pay attention in art class. Even as a manga artist, you need to learn real anatomy. You need the ability to produce a satisfiable human figure before you can stylize it. Study lighting, shadowing, coloring, composition, perspective, and literally everything else any other type of artist would.

GunZet
11-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Protip: I wouldn't try to make a legit living off it.

jubeh
11-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Seems like everyone is too nice to say that it is impossible. You're better off being in america where you have less chance of being exploited and having low quality limited animation bs made out of your work where you have no control of it.

tag654
11-21-2011, 03:02 PM
:{ seriously,so there's really no way to do it?

GunZet
11-21-2011, 03:16 PM
There's a way. But you basically have to sell your soul to make it big.

FrancysPai
11-21-2011, 04:28 PM
There's a way. But you basically have to sell your soul to make it big.

This pretty much. In Japan especially. It is possible to get published outside of Japan (look at Bizenghast and a lot of EU Yaoi authors) but creating a story that captures the audience and bringing something new to the table in this day and age would take....a lot.

Protip: Spelling manga right would be an awesome start *scrutinizes thread title*

I jest, but seriously, the effort is immense and you would be WAY better off going as a freelance artist. Maybe from there you can go, but it's entirely down to your creativity and professionalism. I'd go and ask Omar Dogan (he has a dA) of Udon-Crew on how he got into it all with their comics (they've done SF, Megaman, Darkstalkers, even their own series and he's done Capsule Girls himself.) He's usually very very happy to answer questions like this. He may have already done a Q&A about it since he does them every now and then.

kine
11-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Well have you ever heard of Mark Crilley? He is does basically what you are saying and he makes a decent amount of money doing it. Here is his Youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/markcrilley

*EDIT
I'm with you in saying that is what I want my job to be. :)

Hayashida
11-21-2011, 05:50 PM
fact is, there's always gonna be people infinitely better than you at this in Japan so don't even bother

kine
11-21-2011, 06:24 PM
fact is, there's always gonna be people infinitely better than you at this in Japan so don't even bother
Don't try discourage me or him by saying this

GunZet
11-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Yea I wouldn't say don't bother. But to just look at the reality of things, although with enough effort and determination, hell you could actually make it.

tag654
11-21-2011, 07:36 PM
well,then are there any good colleges in japan?Art colleges?Id love to live in japan,but I have no idea how I would go about.

And I WILL become a great Mangaka,Id sell my soul to become a mangaka - in Japan.

Kinda like mashiro from "Bakugan",I have that much Faith.hope and am willing to put a lot of effort into this dream of mine....

@kine - Im with you bro,Just keep getting better man...Youll win over if u believe hard enough
@everyone else - so,About schools in japan,and setups US -> JP...how does that work?

And if I have to do American styled maga,what are some of the publishers you recommend(shonen)?

kine
11-21-2011, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure about any publishing companies but just start small with barely known companies and after awhile you be able to move up to middle level companies like Dark Horse.

Hayashida
11-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Don't try discourage me or him by saying this
Okay.

Yeah you guys will make it. Don't listen to what anyone else says, save up your money and go to Japan and send your drawings into those publishers and they'll jump at the opportunity to hire you.
Is that what you want to hear?

GunZet
11-21-2011, 11:20 PM
You might also wanna consider working with a team rather than totally individual. That way you don't draw yourself to an early grave.

ClockHand
11-21-2011, 11:32 PM
The true is this: Comic industry (as any industry) is a hell. And this is not different here, there or anywhere, publishers want things that sells, want people that represent them and want to hold your life and soul, this industry has become in do money or go away.

As a matter of study, japan is not the best place. Yes, its great, it was the place where cinematic continuity started (with Osamu Tezuka), but USA and Europe have a longest history in comic development. Hell, even in Latin America there has a longest development in the technique and methodology of comics (of course all the developments die with the dictatorships). So if you have the chance to study in USA or Europe, do it, they have a sense and understanding of the graphic novels that few haves.

And in the future, Japan will not become the strongest in quality of work, just look to Korea, they have amazing works and they can mix their style beautifully.

Also mangakas are the same as comic artists, comic and mangas are the same, just different names gave in different places.

ram
11-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Yeah it's the same as book writers as well, If you don't sell even if you have an awesome story you'll still die.

In manga/comc, sometimes people buy it because of the awesome art, That's why manga with nothing but panty shots stills sells.

tag654
11-22-2011, 01:05 AM
guess ur right,:{
*lost faith*

Okay,so can artist do the "traditional style" on paper and finalize it digitally and submit it to a pub. or is just preference of the publishing company?

ram
11-22-2011, 03:30 AM
It's a dice dude, Life is all about dices.

Specially in manga/comic industry, If it happens to sell you'll be a billionaire so freaking bad, standing next to Oprah and the Queen.

If it doesn't you probably just wasted you time trying, Don't worry I'm one of those guys throwing a dice with you so just make something.

Hayashida
11-22-2011, 03:37 AM
I've never heard of a billionaire mangaka

ram
11-22-2011, 03:41 AM
If it does sell a billion copies then it's possible.

No one stupid enough would pay for that though.

Hayashida
11-22-2011, 03:44 AM
well yeah but I mean if a billion people kissed my ass for a buck I'd be a billionaire too, but I don't think that's gonna happen

ClockHand
11-22-2011, 11:25 AM
ally in manga/comic industry, If it happens to sell you'll be a billionaire so freaking bad, standing next to Oprah and the Queen.

JAJAJAJA

Publishers are the ones that become millionaires, not the artist. Publishers do the marketing, publicity and products, all this video games based on mangas or comics are made because the Publishers said "hey, this comic/manga sells a lot, we should use the rights for a video game or a movie". Of course the artist is going to have part of the profit and if they are legally smart, they are going to have some control over their creations, but trust me, Publishers have a lot of power.

nisaren
11-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Just saw this thread and I agree with the sentiment that if you want to become a mangaka in Japan you're at an extreme disadvantage. This is not just because there are tons of talented artists (which there are), but because it is extremely difficult to write a well crafted story in a language other than your native tongue.

The state of the comic industry and the major publishers (Marvel, DC) is actually pretty poor at the moment. Their sales revenue has been dropping steadily, syndication for newspapers has also been going down. So the major publishers are not buying much new IP and just trying to hold on to and profitize their current major brands. Which makes it that much harder for people starting out.

I would suggest doing a webcomic as a way to help yourself get into the industry. This does three things that can really impact how publishers view you. Firstly and most importantly, you can build a following - this means there's already a potential revenue stream available which means less money publishers have to risk trying to create one. Second, you are constantly building a body of art work that is highly visible - the publishers are able to see exactly what kind of talent you have. Lastly, by setting your own deadlines and consistently meeting them you are proving you have the discipline needed to work in the industry.

Who knows, maybe if you're successful enough at doing the webcomic you'll decide to self publish instead of selling to a major label. I know of at least two comic artists that have been able to make a living doing this. One is Howard Taylor of Schlock Mercenary and the other is Fred Gallagher of Megatokyo. The latter of which has had his webcomic translated into Japanese and released in takubon form in Japan - I don't know of many other webcomics that have been able to penetrate both markets.

While there are always naysayers, I still like to believe that where there's a will there's a way. Your route just may be a little longer than some nihonjin.

Bacon_Barbarian
11-24-2011, 01:32 AM
Oda's a billionaire. A billionaire in Yen, not USD, but a billionaire regardless.