PDA

View Full Version : The old rolls of paper 5: Groundcenter (Skyrim)

jubeh
11-12-2011, 02:47 AM
Skyrim thread

Wizard is the way to go. Not even dead people are safe from me. I'll kill you, bring you back and beat your living corpse to level up my weapon skill.

Hamachi
11-12-2011, 02:50 AM
Au contraire. I prefer to sneak around and shoot my enemies in the head. Preferably through the mouth, so the arrow punctures through and pokes out the other side.

ClockHand
11-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Au contraire. I prefer to sneak around and shoot my enemies in the head. Preferably through the mouth, so the arrow punctures through and pokes out the other side.

If you don't kill your enemy at the first shot, or there are more than one enemy, everything gets complicated as an archer.

Magic is the way to go, there can be 8 enemies but you can still kick asses.

jubeh
11-12-2011, 12:51 PM
I had to fight 4 witches at once and magic was just all over the place. All of a sudden the game turned into a cover shooter.

CypressDahlia
11-12-2011, 05:00 PM
So it's like Larping with that one guy who likes to yell "MAGIC MISSILE" and throw rocks.

jubeh
11-12-2011, 06:02 PM
My character is taking classes at the magic college. He's got his own dorm room and everything.

Hamachi
11-12-2011, 08:09 PM
So my second character is this high elf mage chick who chucks around fireballs and slices things up with a katana at the same time. It's pretty sick.

ClockHand
11-12-2011, 08:33 PM
My character is taking classes at the magic college. He's got his own dorm room and everything.

Good job harry, now be aware of Voldemort.

jubeh
11-12-2011, 08:58 PM
There's this pale blonde guy at the school who's a total dick

ClockHand
11-12-2011, 09:10 PM
JAJAJa, I bet he is from slythering

Hamachi
11-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Just found this special move where you can jump on a dragon's head and start slicing the crap out of its neck with your sword.

Lucy
11-13-2011, 07:48 AM
My PC ain't up to this business. Will have to get it when it's cheaper for the ecksbawks.

Sylux
11-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Been watching a friend play this all night and all day, think I found a new hobby

Matt
11-13-2011, 12:16 PM
@Hamachi - Yeah, I prefer archery, but it's pretty annoying when you spend a lot of time sneaking up on a guy and putting an arrow through his eye socket and he barely even flinches. Plus, when there's more than one enemy, you're screwed.

So my Imperial archer girl also carries a superior ancient Nord sword and magic while frequently hogging all the smithing tools in Riverwood. I think this game does a good job of letting me know just how indecisive I am.

Hamachi
11-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Yeah, that's why I just decided to restart eventually. Archery does work with magic equipment and some spells/shouts in conjunction - mostly time slows - but I just wanted to try out dual wielding too.

Also, apparently you can have a girl marry a girl in this game.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfi03wHdlo1qbvc38o1_500.png

jubeh
11-13-2011, 05:13 PM
I learned bound bow and Im thinking about archery. My wiz will rely completely on magically conjured weapons.

Matt
11-13-2011, 08:38 PM
I accepted a quest at the magic college and my quest marker keeps taking me into one room, then tells me to go back out. It's the quest where you have to research the giant magical floating orb you and your master find.

@Jubeh - If you conjure a battleaxe or something, do you get experience in two-handed weapons or in magic? I was thinking about doing the same thing, since I'm having too much fun in the magic college to go back to archery.

jubeh
11-13-2011, 08:48 PM
You gain experience in conjuration and whatever handedness the weapon is. Or archery in the case of the bow.

Matt go to the arcaneum and talk to the dude there. P sure thats what you're meant to do.

Hamachi
11-14-2011, 02:41 AM
Whoever came up with this is a GENIUS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rt5aUdijAN8

jubeh
11-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Just like in real life

wolfman
11-14-2011, 02:17 PM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/i-9HNNHvS/0/L/i-9HNNHvS-XL.jpg

Matt
11-14-2011, 06:47 PM
I've always kinda hated Bethesda's level scaling thing. Also, those giants need to chill out when a dragon goes down in their camp and I try to collect its scales for smithing. Like, why isn't there an option to say, "Hey, I'll be right out, I just need to pull the scales off this skeleton."

Another little thing that's actually kinda a big deal: I used fireball on a dragon in the sky in some city way far away from any civilization and somehow got a 40 bounty in Whiterun. And now everyone in Whiterun tries to kill me and I don't even have the option to surrender. Still waiting for those rumored PS3 mods.

@Jubeh - Got it. The rewards for finishing the magic college quests are pretty awesome.

wolfman
11-14-2011, 07:08 PM
one of my friends read on the loading screens "giants are usually peaceful creatures" and attempted to talk to it, needless to say, he got oneshotted hard

CypressDahlia
11-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Lol @ stealing in skyrim. Clearly the most advanced Elder Scrolls to date.

Evil_Cake
11-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Lol @ stealing in skyrim. Clearly the most advanced Elder Scrolls to date.

that works irl for ur information

jubeh
11-14-2011, 11:23 PM
I've always kinda hated Bethesda's level scaling thing.

In skyrim the mob level is based on your first time entering an area. So if you enter a place and then come back later you'll still be stronger.

one of my friends read on the loading screens "giants are usually peaceful creatures" and attempted to talk to it, needless to say, he got oneshotted hard

Man that was me.

ClockHand
11-14-2011, 11:34 PM
In skyrim the mob level is based on your first time entering an area. So if you enter a place and then come back later you'll still be stronger.

Wait, so if I explore everything I will make the game easier for me later? How should I know were to go and how to go? how the progression of the story with the challenge will work?

Dude, this is to complicate for me )=

jubeh
11-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Wait, so if I explore everything I will make the game easier for me later? How should I know were to go and how to go? how the progression of the story with the challenge will work?

Dude, this is to complicate for me )=

Yeah theoretically if you traversed the map and then decided to start playing the game afterwards it would be easy mode with the exception of spawned dragons.

As for the story quests they work the same way.

ClockHand
11-14-2011, 11:56 PM
it can back stab the player, like I didn't knew this and I could travel for the entire map to see what is out there and then I would have to face that I screwed it with the difficulty.

And even I wouldn't know how to level up through the story, now with this every time I level up I will be like "should I level up now or later?"

jubeh
11-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Naw it works in practice

ClockHand
11-15-2011, 12:04 AM
*paranoiac at leveling*

jubeh
11-15-2011, 12:07 AM
You won't even notice it

ClockHand
11-15-2011, 12:10 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.posterous.com/temp-2011-08-02/DuucdztvyfHDAeFHkbxgErdkflscaDyldeDnxkinzrafCACgaJ wjzGwrzCHD/tumblr_l1wsx1R94S1qzmowao1_500.jpg.scaled500.jpg?A WSAccessKeyId=AKIAJFZAE65UYRT34AOQ&Expires=1321334102&Signature=kEgqm3bAAgRiEp%2BFUW86Pyr095g%3D

Delphinus
11-15-2011, 06:06 PM
So this game looks pretty much the same as Oblivion and I got bored of Oblivion within 2 weeks. Why should I buy this game?

Evil_Cake
11-15-2011, 06:09 PM
dont do it

ClockHand
11-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Basically is better than Oblivion in story and look. As a matter of combat the game is kinda of the same (it really doesn't work very well unless you are a wizard) and it has some problems with the background story and context (gods, fights of faith, but gods actually exist... it does make a lot of problem to the plot).

If you like side quests, feel like the chosen one and have a lot to explore, the game is completely for you. If you prefer a good combat experience and stuffs like that you could skip it or watch someone play it (I find way more interesting to watch someone else to play it).

wolfman
11-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Basically is better than Oblivion in story and look. As a matter of combat the game is kinda of the same (it really doesn't work very well unless you are a wizard) and it has some problems with the background story and context (gods, fights of faith, but gods actually exist... it does make a lot of problem to the plot).

If you like side quests, feel like the chosen one and have a lot to explore the game is completely for you. If you prefer a good combat experience and stuffs like that you could skip it or watch someone play it (I find way more interesting to watch someone else to play it).
why do you think the combat is bad, they have improved a lot of things, and yes in skyrim magic is REALLY powerful now but so far i have played skyrim for 47 hours, most of it (43 hours) has been a dual wield sword/dagger and have enjoyed it so much, i love the way the combat works, bow and arrow has also been improved even things as simple as being able to lower arrows

whats wrong with the gods? there is so much story behind them, there are the 9 divines and the daedra

ClockHand
11-15-2011, 06:38 PM
The problem with the gods is the same as it was in Oblivion. Everyone fight each other in faith wars/discussions, baning gods and stuffs like that. But you can talk with the gods, you have a direct relationship with them, you could freaking ask them what to do in all this stupid conflict. This is where the whole faith war fails, it fails because you can have proves and with proves the whole deal of "my faith is the true" die.

Another example on how the game has a bad context, is how progressive they are. You are a orc and you live like everyone else, everyone have this very mixed culture, but you never feel like you are a savage orc, or a dread dark elf, no, they are normal beings, living in cities, having the same manners than other, they are very progressives to being a medieval land.

The combat sucks (at least in consoles), because 60% of the time you will be hitting your companion, its really easy to miss an attack and even more to hit others, the game doesn't help you telling you the distance of your attacks, so most of the time you have to be extremely closed to your enemy (or hang and shield and wait his attack to have and idea of the distance). Shields are not of big help and you can't block while using 2 weapons.

Don't get me wrong I like the game, but its kinda annoying that they didn't improve the combat in a big way. The whole combat feels clumsy and some times I get frustrated because I have 3 enemies and I can't hit them properly (which lead me to use magic more than blades).

wolfman
11-15-2011, 08:47 PM
might contain spoilers for some of the main quest o-o

You have the daedra and the nine divines and yes they all do actually exist but there isnt that much conflict over religion in the games, the only conflict is with the thalmor which it explains pretty well. Also i need to add, they cant actually act that much on this plane

The nine divines were originally the 8 divines but the emperor tiber septim became a god much later, now he attacked the aldmeri dominion when he was an emperor before he became a god, some people still dont consider him part of the 9 divines

the thalmor could beat the empire but instead they signed a treaty part of which means that the worship of talos is banned because they didnt like the fact that a human had risen to become a god, which many people didnt like hence the war :/

i will admit i havnt had a companion much in the game because tbh when your a sneaky character they can alert stuff when you dont want them too :/

i dont really know how you would block with 2 swords, controller wise

im not great at explaining @_@ but there is an amazing backstory to all the god and daedra

Hamachi
11-15-2011, 10:32 PM
I was like, why be a thief or assassin when you can't frickin' climb stuff?

Ezio and Altair disapprove of these game mechanics.

wolfman
11-16-2011, 05:13 AM
being an assasin in skyrim is really fun, you can literally backstab people now

CypressDahlia
11-16-2011, 05:54 AM
I was like, why be a thief or assassin when you can't frickin' climb stuff?

You're expecting too much from a game where you can blind people by putting buckets on their heads.

Evil_Cake
11-16-2011, 01:47 PM
You're expecting too much from a game where you can blind people by putting buckets on their heads.

u keep acting like thats a bad thing

Delphinus
11-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Also Skyrim sounds like some sort of perverse sexual act

Sylux
11-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Um stfu noob what the hell do you know about Groundcenter anyway

jubeh
11-17-2011, 10:28 PM
The fact that you can name your crafted weapons makes this the best game ever.

I am the proud wielder of the kingshanker

Hamachi
11-18-2011, 12:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE4uzGaQDQg

jubeh
11-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Its dumb how he still got bounty for that. Im really fed up with the bounty system. Sometimes when I kill the witness the bounty disappears, sometimes I get 1000 bounty.

wolfman
11-18-2011, 02:11 PM
a chicken was a witness and reported me for killing a cow.........it was not cool

jubeh
11-18-2011, 02:50 PM
I got caught burgling a dude's house and turned him into a chicken yet somehow I still got reported. He was a fucking chicken how did he explain anything to anybody.

GunZet
11-18-2011, 03:55 PM
That video was epic.

jubeh
11-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Man Throw Voice is seriously ridiculously good

Sconethief
11-20-2011, 01:55 AM
Gah, now I want skyrim even more. -shakes fist at thread-

Evil_Cake
11-20-2011, 01:59 AM
all the guards in this 1 village are all walking around naked now

jubeh
11-20-2011, 02:00 AM
I love disarming dudes by shouting at them. That's such a ridiculous concept.

HEY IDIOT

"GAH WTF" *Drops sword*

Hayashida
11-20-2011, 05:50 PM
I started playing the other day and I've found that my dude is the most badass of badasses. Hadvar was all hey man lets sneak around that bear but I charged right at it and then slashed its face up and I got some claws and a pelt and also I stabbed this thief and there was this loser who sang this shitty song for me so I killed him and his friend to try and get my money back. Also my dude looks like a cossack.

jubeh
11-20-2011, 05:57 PM
You should join the dark brotherhood all they do is kill dudes

Hayashida
11-20-2011, 06:18 PM
I don't kill for pleasure James I kill because I have to

jubeh
11-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Alright geez dude you're better off joining the war effort then

Inksprout
11-20-2011, 06:46 PM
hayashida, you sound like my bf, he never wants to give his money to anyone and when the game makes him he always kills them to get it back. I'm sure he'll eventualy break the game. Also I liked that singing dude, because he just magically grabbed that instruement out of nowhere! He was just standing there when suddenly, INSTRUMENT! He was probably a bad arse wizard and now you broke the whole game.

Hayashida
11-20-2011, 07:20 PM
The weird thing is, is I killed the dude and he had no money on him

Evil_Cake
11-20-2011, 07:20 PM
if u train skills with someone, u can pickpocket ur money back but only once I think.

CypressDahlia
11-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Started watching VenomProject's Let's Play of this. It's fkin hilarious. He walks into the first village, kills the first chicken he sees and gets assaulted by Gerdur. She continues to throw punches at him while asking if he's okay and needs a rest.

Evil_Cake
11-21-2011, 01:15 AM
its not WoW u cant just go around killin people's chickens

CypressDahlia
11-21-2011, 01:17 AM
yeah apparently not. Maybe he should've put a bucket over her head first.

Arashi500
11-23-2011, 08:29 PM
So I've been trying be Ned Stark throughout this game, and so far I've unnecessarily revealed political secrets, been decapitated multiple times, and blindly done what my "friends" keep me to. I think I've succeeded.

The game seems to get kinda shakey, if not downright break itself around the higher level 30's, even if you don't whore magic. I also keep trying to avoid doing the main quest, and the rest of the game keeps alluding to some greater element of the game that I'm missing("fighting Deadras d00d!"), but I feel like everytime I do a part of the main quest I'm rushing through the game.

jubeh
12-07-2011, 10:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UoZWuvEtMvc#!

deadpool6365
12-13-2011, 09:34 AM
To me this is a new experience as this is my first Elder Scrolls game. I wasn't bothered about Oblivion and have never heard of Morrowind until after playing Skyrim. Anyways, I was never into RPGs. Period. Even now I'm still not into it. Still, something about this game seems to drawn me in. Is it the randomised dragons popping out of nowhere, or the massive world that I can pretty much traverse to with my own two feet? I don't know but it got me hooked.

I don't really like how the leveling system is implemented though. Pffft, I never liked any leveling system in any RPG game. :/ The quests seem kinda bland at times as it's mostly "hit and grab some artifact and return to person", aside from the main and faction quests. I like how Bethesda attempts to ensure that your actions affect the world. Though not everyone does, but at least there's acknowledgement that you did and that's good. Oh has anyone gotten Smithing to 100? :)

CypressDahlia
12-13-2011, 10:00 AM
The quest and enemy variation are total crap, let's not lie. The only puzzles you'll ever solve somehow involve a claw and turning some stone pillars. And they all take place in some kind of crypt or cave, with the exception of Dwarven ruins.

Getting smithing to 100 is not hard if you visit certain camps. They're usually overrun with bandits but some of them have mines attached to them where you can mine up a lot of ore. Then just create the cheapest things (in terms of materials) out of them over and over and sell them. this will get your smithing, your speech and your gold up really fast. Try to make jewelry I think jewelry levels up your smithing the fastest.

deadpool6365
12-13-2011, 10:21 AM
I intend to try that. I wants me Daedric armour. Looks cool. :)

ClockHand
12-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Still, something about this game seems to drawn me in.

The game never provides you with "fun", "amusement" or "challenge" (if you like that), but something the way does pretty well is play with your expectations, the idea of "I want to be better", "I want to see what is going to happen" and so on. But let's be honest, in most of the hours of gameplay you rarely will be saying "oh man I'm having so much fun".

deadpool6365
12-13-2011, 11:50 AM
in most of the hours of gameplay you rarely will be saying "oh man I'm having so much fun".

Agreed. That thought never came to mind and the feedback I've gotten from my friends are mostly "I NEED TO PLAY SKYRIM!" but I never hear them say "It's fun/awesome." I heard epic being muttered once, but I guess that can be counted as amusement? I'm not sure but I'm guessing it's mind blowing to some, especially my best bud since he played the Elder Scrolls games since Morrowind. To me, it's a decent game with lack of intuitive gameplay. I'm just disappointed with myself now being hooked to this game. :(

Oh yeah one last note, my weapon and magic does jack shit damage with the mobs in the game. Even with say, the Mace of Molag Bal I barely inflict a millimeter of health on medium leveled mobs and my level is somewhat high. I get infuriated with this but at least my follower/s do most of the damage so that compensates that. Still, I wanna whack a zombie without relying on Lydia who always blocks my path ALL THE DAMN TIME.

CypressDahlia
12-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Addiction. It's a giant grindgame.

For me the appeal of it began with just stripping all of my expectations for it. Since I hated Morrowind and Oblivion, I went into Skyrim not wanting anything out of it...so I enjoyed it. As in, I didn't think I was going to end up doing anything but running around shooting random things with arrows. And that's exactly what happened. So I was satisfied with that. It ended up being the perfect run around and harass things with arrows simulator. As far as any actual gameplay it's horribly lacking.

And did you level-up your proficiency in your weapon-kills? Try to get the first tier perk up to 5/5. Then you'll do 100% more damage with your weapon. I realized that I screwed myself over w/ dual-wielding because daggers don't get a specific damage perk outside of backstabs.

Evil_Cake
12-13-2011, 07:19 PM
there is a multiplayer mod out :o

jubeh
12-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Whoa does it really work

Evil_Cake
12-13-2011, 11:50 PM
no

jubeh
12-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Oic

deadpool6365
12-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Addiction. It's a giant grindgame.

And did you level-up your proficiency in your weapon-kills? Try to get the first tier perk up to 5/5. Then you'll do 100% more damage with your weapon. I realized that I screwed myself over w/ dual-wielding because daggers don't get a specific damage perk outside of backstabs.

Sadly, I hate grinding. I really do. *sniff*

Anyways, I increased it by 1 but I was saving it up for other perks just in case I need it. Looks like I'll have to do it then. I want to end this nightmare as soon as possible. Ok, nightmare might be a bit of an exaggeration but you get what I mean. :)

wolfman
12-14-2011, 12:14 AM

i played through the game with dual daggers XD its hilarious, i can kill giants in one hit with them if they dont see me

although its really awkward if they do see me because then i cant really do much but flail my arms at them hoping they die before the inevitable oneshot from its club

CypressDahlia
12-14-2011, 03:07 AM
haha yeah that's p. much it. If you don't get seen you can one shot almost any enemy imaginable. If you get seen, its time to activate windmill mode and hope you don't die.

jubeh
12-14-2011, 03:09 AM
When I dual wielded daggers I had one that turned undead and one that caused fear so unless I was fighting like robots and shit most dude would just scatter and I can just follow them around spanking them on the ass

CypressDahlia
12-14-2011, 03:15 AM
Hahaha that's pretty hilarious. It's so dumb how certain things make enemies just run away. Like the werewolf howl. They don't even try to fight back anymore so even if you catch them at a dead end they just keep trying to pathfind.

jubeh
12-14-2011, 03:32 AM
Yeah if they had read art of war they would know that situation is supposed to make them more ferocious

CypressDahlia
12-15-2011, 03:19 AM
It's difficult to grasp how much money is actually worth in this game cuz of crazy price ranges. 1 night at the inn only costs 10 septims. A piece of horker loaf costs 15. It only costs 300 to furnish your entire bedroom, which is the same price as a single piece of cheap armor, even though armor is supposed to be pretty "in" in ES, right, so you figure it would cost less than what it costs to furnish a room.

Also, the accents really throw me off. Some Nords actually sound Nordic, others sound straight up Russian, some even sound Arabic and a select few sound like they're Jewish. Oh and the Schwarzenegger voice.

jubeh
12-23-2011, 01:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUWd-wPZwGc

Matt
12-31-2011, 04:51 PM
The "technically perfect" bit made me smile, especially after I encountered my first teleporting mammoth just yesterday.