PDA

View Full Version : Western Fascinations with Asian Cultures

Fenn
01-04-2011, 08:26 PM
I enjoy learning about Asian cultures, although I've never taken any classes or visited. There is something about the culture, traditions, and especially the feelings evoked by the art of these Eastern nations that draws me. But why? Why are so many people attracted to both Asian aethetics and ideas, both historic and modern?

If anyone has formal study or experience in this topic your response would be much appreciated!

Evil_Cake
01-04-2011, 08:37 PM
why should we know why you think its cool

Kodos
01-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Fetishization of the Other. The East Asian cultures are Other in the West but, unlike the Near East cultures, we are not busy bombing them into the stone age so it's chic to like them.

Rio
01-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Mostly, the initial fascination is of the exotic; different culture, fashion, beliefs, and so on. From there, you just gravitate towards the things that you like and further delve yourself into their way to life.

Fenn
01-06-2011, 05:10 PM
why should we know why you think its cool

I wasn't just referring to me, though I worded it that way. It was more why are Westerners in general.

Fetishization of the Other. The East Asian cultures are Other in the West but, unlike the Near East cultures, we are not busy bombing them into the stone age so it's chic to like them.

Google was invented so the general populace can understand people like you :)

So many people take this interest because it is fashionable to like things that are different?

Mostly, the initial fascination is of the exotic; different culture, fashion, beliefs, and so on. From there, you just gravitate towards the things that you like and further delve yourself into their way to life.

This sounds like a very accurate idea. Makes sense.

Kodos
01-07-2011, 05:45 AM
Partly that. The fetishization of the Other is a bit harder to explain than that. But in a nutshell, yes. It has always been chic, to an extent, to have a fascination with bowdlerized versions of other cultures. Weaboos are an extreme example, but you see forms of it even in the mainstream - look at garbage like Eat, Love, Pray, for example. Or the brief Yoga fad.

LVUER
01-07-2011, 06:48 AM
But I don't think there are many Easterners that fascinated by Western cultures... or am I wrong?

butternut
01-07-2011, 06:55 AM
there was a time when they were, not strictly East, i'm talking about South Asia

Rio
01-07-2011, 10:43 AM
But I don't think there are many Easterners that fascinated by Western cultures... or am I wrong?

I think there are those in the East who are fascinated with the West. I mean, there's like so many influences from Hollywood, music, food, and so on.

Fenn
01-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Partly that. The fetishization of the Other is a bit harder to explain than that. But in a nutshell, yes. It has always been chic, to an extent, to have a fascination with bowdlerized versions of other cultures. Weaboos are an extreme example, but you see forms of it even in the mainstream - look at garbage like Eat, Love, Pray, for example. Or the brief Yoga fad.

Bowdlerized means to remove or omit unpleasant parts, if I looked this up right?

I don't think this is always the case, of course. But some people certainly do. I, however, could care less about what others are into. I was trying to figure out what elements of Eastern cultures causes some of us to be drawn? Traditional music from some Asian cultures (I apologize for my ignorance in not knowing specific genres or instruments), for example, has always been relaxing and enchanting to me.

The_shaman
01-09-2011, 10:27 PM

Asian women...*drowls* Why must they have such power over me?

Rio
01-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Because they're so adorable and cute? ;D

violin
01-15-2011, 02:26 PM
I agree. Everyone is interested in what is new or different. Like evey year there was a day of Asian Culture in may university. Where people form Japan(mainly) and China was coming to promote their language and traditions. There is no way you are not going to be interested in something so different.

But there are also people from East interested in Werstern cultures. Like every year people I know get invited in Japan and China to promote the traditions we have in South Eastern Europe.

Bacon_Barbarian
01-17-2011, 12:36 PM

Go to big cities in Japan or Korea. Do they seem Western? If they dont, you have a problem.

ClockHand
01-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Koreans mostly have a big western influence.

Their movies, music, and a lot of other stuffs they do have a lot of western influence.

The deal (I believe) is that in history, western societies had much better relationship with Korea (south) than japan or chine. USA play a major roll in the conflict of North Korean and South Korea, while between Chine and Japan the relation wasn't good (it was never good). Also in that time a lot of western countries gave to south korean people a place to stay.

I think the relation ship between Eastern>Western is more about history than what is chic (of course in the case of Western>Eastern is about that).

Kodos
01-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Korea doesn't quite count because they have a very sordid cultural history. For pretty much the entirety of their history they were some other nation's bitch, so their cultural identity is obviously going to carry a lot of baggage from external influences.

ClockHand
01-17-2011, 11:41 PM
I know, but I didn't want to call some of my friends bitches. And yeah, the history of korea has always being about work as the bitches of others and is not until the end of the ocupation by Japan that it got divided and of course USA appear in the South Korea and gave "a hand" to them, but of course the political and cultural repercutions are obvious.

Even so, the history still mark a strong point.

Bacon_Barbarian
01-18-2011, 11:24 AM
I think the relation ship between Eastern>Western is more about history than what is chic (of course in the case of Western>Eastern is about that).
Probably, but I saw a large group of kids dressed "Gangsta'" while I was in Japan.

Aether
01-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Guys, I'm actually Japanese. I have a Naruto headband and everything like a real Japanese person.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
01-18-2011, 10:03 PM
I knew it!

Aether
01-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Hey, you want some ramen man. I made it myself. It's p. much all I eat.

Hayashida
01-18-2011, 10:10 PM
I'm kind of hungry, so I'll have some. But wait, you're in sydney. What the heck.

Aether
01-18-2011, 10:14 PM
It's all an illusion.

Hayashida
01-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Oh I see.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
01-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Lots of Thai hookers live in Sydney...I like to have sex with Thai hookers.

Aether
01-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Hey you should come to Sydney and chill with me and eat ramen. Then you can have sex with Thai hookers. It's a win-win scenario.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
01-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Nah, you guys talk with that accent that makes you sound like a cross between you're trying to shit out a pineapple and you've just recently died.

Thanks for the offer though.