PDA

View Full Version : Your enemy

ClockHand
11-03-2011, 02:08 AM
I have been working on a story lately that have me between fulfillments and emptiness. I'm in one moment pride of achieving a script for the chapter that work on 24 pages and with a good story board to just do it.

But when I'm working on it I quickly change my mind and I start thinking the script is not going to work so I have to redo the whole idea again! and even the design of the characters have been redone!!! Fuck this!!

Well the point of the thread is to release the stress from your worst enemy when you are trying to do a comic. In my case and in this moment, is this crappy feeling of achieving and then finding holes to fix constantly. I'm redoing the story board, I have like 8 different comic books opened in front of my (to get references) and the worst part is gonna be to do all the drawing and then fucking clean and paint on the pc.

So everyone, please feel free to rant about your creative struggles (it might helps others in the same situation; at least me).

ram
11-03-2011, 04:17 AM
You and I are somehow alike, I can't really trust my storyboarding as well, they too fast progress.

If I look into other manga, nothing usually happens in page 1-13, and mine I feel like I'm rushing too much on things!
and panneling! that's one thing to rant about! I feel like my panneling style is different on every page! I don't know if it's confusing for people to read it! I have complete normal rectangle and squares on some page and some page it has those slashy things, (which I noticed that those changes doesn't happen much in manga)

I feel like how I introduced my character isn't right.
I feel like the pose I did isn't good enough and not good enough for those types of scenes!
I feel like my background has too many worthless details
I feel like I don't know how to tone my work properly
I feel like my drawing process isn't right!
I feel like my scene by scene progress isn't good enough
I feel like scene I put there shouldn't be there(like there would be a better scene I could put there)

jubeh
11-03-2011, 04:49 AM
I really want to make comics but I seriously hate drawing.

Siaman
11-03-2011, 06:57 AM
thats good that you are not satisfied with your work that means deep in your heart you know you could improve it more... :)

Fenn
11-03-2011, 10:11 AM
I made a super cool story from tons of random roleplaying with my friends in the past. I pulled together all the main characters I'd created, pieced together the events, and filled in the spaces, and I have a giant summary of the plot...

And now I want to change it all because I realized it's incredible linear, and cliche. But there are tons of great memories weaved within it, so I'd feel bad to change it. I've had this story in my head for years, how can I just rip it apart?

Regantor
11-03-2011, 10:54 AM
As for the first two guys; It's probably good that you're having those feelings. The best way to make quality works is to absolutely obsess over the shortcomings, IMO. That way you'll probably remember to come back and fix them later, or at least recognize that you're about to make the same mistake the next time.

Jubeh; Well, do you actually hate it while you're doing it, or do you just hate the whole process of getting motivated and slugging through the pages?...

Fenn; In the end it'll obviously be up to you, but personally, I'd cannibalize it for all of the good ideas and use it to build something new. That tends to be what the entire creative process is about, anyway... But yeah. Only you actually know what's written, and popular things like Gurren Lagann are still cliche-ridden just the same...

///

Toning! I suck at toning. If I had cash money, I would hire a toner guy.

Also, if I don't draw all off my pages in a completely random order, I always get bored before I finish.

jubeh
11-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Reg: Both.

Sylux
11-03-2011, 06:44 PM
I love drawing but CBA to do repetitive drawings, frames, etc. It's why I switched to 3D @_@

Bacon_Barbarian
11-03-2011, 07:17 PM
My major problem is getting motivated in the first place. I really get into it when I'm doing it ... But getting there is the issue.

Sylux
11-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Yeah! Same here! That's why over the summer I stayed up for days on end, just under that principle. I got an entire half-hour animation script done and cast all the voices AND had individual conferences with each cast member in 4 continuous, Monster-fueled days. My heart was about to collapse, and then I slept. @_@

Siaman
11-03-2011, 08:26 PM
yeah i think motivation and inspiration is the enemy here...

Sylux
11-03-2011, 08:32 PM
The notion is completely unanimous... Except for Matt >_>

ram
11-04-2011, 02:09 AM
My concentration mode has limits! I wish I can concentrate all the time!

ClockHand
11-12-2011, 09:51 PM
My concentration mode has limits! I wish I can concentrate all the time!

No ones can, but do as I do: try to do a lot of things at the same time, so you never lose focus. I watch tv, listen music, chat and draw, I need stuffs to keep my drawing.

I could overcome the problems, but now I have new problems! yay!!! the deal is that I can't take decisions, like should I shade this picture or should I just give clean lines? (this happened because I don't have it very clearly which is going to be the point of the camera, if its going to be against light, I would have to shade everything, if not then just lines).

CypressDahlia
11-13-2011, 08:34 AM
My enemy is paper. It is a definite roadblock in my quest to become a mangaka.

Bacon_Barbarian
11-13-2011, 11:28 AM
... How so?

ram
11-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Yeah how so?

Siaman
11-13-2011, 06:40 PM
then why dont you buy a new set of paper

jubeh
11-13-2011, 06:41 PM
You guys wouldnt understand. His parents were killed by paper.

Bacon_Barbarian
11-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Oh, is he going to become a cop whose new partner is a piece of paper?

CypressDahlia
11-13-2011, 11:15 PM
no stupid who lets paper be a cop. God.

Bacon_Barbarian
11-13-2011, 11:41 PM
The same people who let pants be cops.

snowb400
11-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Getting back on topic... Same as Reg. Toning. I dun wanna tone... and having free software. Inconvenience of not letting you copy/paste, or print. And I don't wanna get a job, so I'm not gonna get the software 'til Christmas. Maybe.
@ ram: what do you mean your panelling is different each time?