PDA

View Full Version : Shonen Jump Change. Again.

Bacon_Barbarian
10-21-2011, 03:01 PM
So, I open up my email, and I find this:

Hey Subscriber!

You may have heard, but SHONEN JUMP is going from monthly and on paper to WEEKLY and DIGITAL starting in 2012. The new digital version of the magazine will be called Weekly SHONEN JUMP Alpha and the first issue goes on sale January 30, 2012.

As a subscriber to SHONEN JUMP magazine, YOU ARE ALREADY SET TO RECEIVE Weekly SHONEN JUMP Alpha FOR UP TO 1 YEAR AT NO ADDITIONAL FEE. Here’s what you will get:

New chapters every week of Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Bakuman, Toriko, and Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan just TWO WEEKS after they first appear in Japan!

Read Weekly SHONEN JUMP Alpha on your PC or Mac computer at vizmanga.com OR as an app on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad.

Up to one year’s worth of digital issues depending on your current subscription status.

Delivery of the monthly print magazine to your home until your current subscription ends or March 2012 (when the final issue of the print magazine arrives), whichever comes sooner

I might actually stop reading scanlations now.

EDIT: Dammit it all, I somehow put this in videogames. Could a mod move this?

Hayashida
10-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Wait I don't get why you're not satisfied. You're getting weekly manga instead of monthly. So what's the problem?

Slurpee
10-21-2011, 05:25 PM
It's not a problem... I think he's trying to point out how cool it is.
Finally! Manga is moving into the digital age *__*

Bacon_Barbarian
10-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Wait I don't get why you're not satisfied. You're getting weekly manga instead of monthly. So what's the problem?

I'm not ...

It's not a problem... I think he's trying to point out how cool it is.
Finally! Manga is moving into the digital age *__*

This. As long as they keep Tankobon around, I'm happy.

Regantor
10-21-2011, 09:20 PM
I guess it's good considering you are getting new work faster, but...

Paying for Digital Comics has always seemed like a bit of a bad move to me... Loosing all the comics I paid for due to a virus? Needing electrical power to read a comic book? Thanks but no thanks. There is a reason why even increda-good webcomics are free....

Hayashida
10-21-2011, 11:27 PM
I'm not ...

This. As long as they keep Tankobon around, I'm happy.

Oh okay I read that thing wrong

Rio
10-24-2011, 04:48 PM
I heard about this. On one hand it saves Viz money but on the other hand, it's an end of an era. I like my tangible reading material, thank you very much!

Speaking of which, if you end your subscription, will you still have access to the digital content that you did pay for? That would totally suck if you can't access material you technically paid for in the past. :< (That's why paper reading material still rules! :D )

Bacon_Barbarian
10-24-2011, 06:50 PM
I have no idea ... :/

Son44
10-25-2011, 03:37 PM
Interesting. Hopefully this will be available in Europe as well.

Captain_Neko
10-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Why Can't they just do Kindles and Nooks?

Rio
11-02-2011, 03:53 PM
They do have some series available in eBook format but digital distribution is fairly new territory for publishers particularly for Viz who is usually a very conservative company when approaching new media. Seriously, they've just announced publishing yaoi when that type of genre has already been published by other manga publishers for years now.

Also, I think they're doing it this way so they at least have some control over their issues and clamping down on any piracy that may ensue if they did make it available as downloads for eReaders. :< ...But if you're a paying subscriber, give them your input and ask for Kindle or Nook downloads and maybe they'll listen.

Saiyagal85
12-16-2011, 04:34 AM
I agree with everyone who said that they like having the physical manga in their hands. It is just more traditional. However, Shonen Jump is losing money since websites post the latest chapters of manga for free. I know I 'm guilty of reading my favorite manga online every week. I guess going digital is a way of saving money.

Sylux
12-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Wow way to necro

BozeSG
02-13-2012, 07:14 AM
the results of this (http://mangastream.com/content/jump)

Rio
02-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Hmmm, the problem with that is they may clamp down on one scanlator but another one will just pick up the torch. :\