PDA

View Full Version : Gaddafi is Dead

Bacon_Barbarian
10-20-2011, 12:03 PM
[link (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/20/gaddafi-dead-says-libyan-pm?newsfeed=true)]

Is it wrong to say I'm sad?

Delphinus
10-20-2011, 12:07 PM
The question is now whether Libya can survive and reform into a viable state without a strong leader. If not, it risks devolving into anarchy or another totalitarian regime.

Bacon_Barbarian
10-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Yep. Yep. I totally agree. I didn't actually read that specific article, I just grabbed the first thing I could link. (I heard it NPR originally.)

GunZet
10-20-2011, 12:43 PM
I think Libya is gonna be alright and get shit together.

Bacon_Barbarian
10-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Why?

Gaddafi overthrew a horrible dictator before he went in. Nothing is keeping the same thing from happening here. This will not be another Egypt, not that the Egyptian rebellion was smooth by any means.

GunZet
10-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Why so pessimistic, bruh.

Delphinus
10-20-2011, 01:16 PM
It might be alright, it might fail. Only time will tell.

Bacon_Barbarian
10-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Why so pessimistic, bruh.

Why not? :/

Actually, I've been listening to some BBC program called "World Have Your Say" which has been interviewing NTC (National Transitional Council) Leaders and civilians. If the NTC Leaders really do take control and act as they say will, things might be alright. If you're remotely listened and live in America, you can turn into NPR. If you live anywhere else, I'm sure you know how to find the BBC.

EDIT:

I really want to know what Hisham Matar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hisham_Matar) has to say about this.

EDIT 2:

It's really weird hearing citizens of other African countries (Uganda, etc., etc.) calling in and saying how great of a leader he was.

Regantor
10-21-2011, 09:47 PM
It's really weird hearing citizens of other African countries (Uganda, etc., etc.) calling in and saying how great of a leader he was.

Gaddafi represented himself as a bit of a Che Guevara, through, remember. Technically speaking he wasn't in charge of anything, there was a complete separate government for that. Something he said a great many times in his interviews was that Libya was a "country for the people"... What he didn't really explain was what he had hundreds of secret police at his beck and call for.

Anyway. It's too easy for us foreigners to jump to conclusions and call him a super evil tyrant... But what we can judge is that he was a rather hilarious bond villian by his silly macho tastes and trollish policies.

Bacon_Barbarian
10-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Gaddafi represented himself as a bit of a Che Guevara, through, remember. Technically speaking he wasn't in charge of anything, there was a complete separate government for that. Something he said a great many times in his interviews was that Libya was a "country for the people"... What he didn't really explain was what he had hundreds of secret police at his beck and call for.

Anyway. It's too easy for us foreigners to jump to conclusions and call him a super evil tyrant... But what we can judge is that he was a rather hilarious bond villian by his silly macho tastes and trollish policies.

I mean, I don't think that's it. More that he bought into other dictatorships. And I don't really think he was that bad compared to other dictators. (Though who am I to judge.) He killed lots of people, but he had really softened up in the last few years. As I understand it anyway.

Regantor
10-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Well, he had every chance to start becoming a properly decent ruler. That spineless bastard Tony Blair even forgot about the whole "selling weapons to the IRA in the 80s" thing...

The problem was, the guy was just a jerk. A macho dumbass with alot of money and alot of people's lives in his hands, basically doing everything that a 4channer brags that they'd do with a country. That was sort of his charm in itself, admittedly, but yeah. Keep in mind what Dubai has been accomplishing in the past few years, in comparison.

I don't really think our reasons for going in there were totally just, but at least this isn't another Iraq or Afghanistan. At least the country still has control of it's own oil.

So, eh.

I just hope they are going to melt those balls of steel down for something useful. :p

Bacon_Barbarian
10-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Dubai isn't a good example to compare anything too.

But I hear you.

Regantor
10-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Dubai is a super-westernized bubble economy, so I guess you're right...

But, still, I'll just least this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zzJjo6fWQ5s

Bacon_Barbarian
10-22-2011, 02:07 AM
I love that so much. Words are useless.

Kodos
10-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Goodnight, sweet prince.

Hell_Baron
10-22-2011, 05:01 PM
well, at least we still have Lucachenko...

Slurpee
10-23-2011, 11:35 AM
It's so sick how the kids in my College History class actually believe that killing him was a good thing.
Yes, no ruler is perfect, but he was probably one of the nicest dictators ever. It's disgusting how this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XorKTwkFPDU

ClockHand
10-23-2011, 02:29 PM
The fear of dictatorship from USA people has always been ironic for my. A part from that, it will be hard to provide stability in Libya now, specially through public votes.

Gedeon
10-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Am i the only ne who think's that what they did to him was horrible?

Bacon_Barbarian
10-23-2011, 02:55 PM
No. They should have brought him in, gave him a trial (no way in Hell he would win), and then sentenced him to death. I'm against the death penalty, but if he was going to be murdered (which he was, one way or the other) then it should have been organized legally.

BozeSG
10-23-2011, 03:18 PM
lol, it's pretty nice to see all these newbs thinking they're actually going to be free... the same thing happened to us 30 years ago (and we were kind enough to exile our shah instead of killing him) and look at the state we're in now. lybia and all these arab countries are all going to sink deeper into dictator ship if they leave them alone to take care of themselves, demoracy just can't be in the same place as oil, trust me.

oh well, it's okay for them to be happy for the short time it can last i guess...

Bacon_Barbarian
10-23-2011, 04:11 PM
What country are you?

And generally I would agree, but the world is really focused on the Middle East now and the NTC seems to be doing a pretty good job. On that note so does the Egyptian Army. Though, I did recently hear something about some corruption in Egypt. I forget what it was exactly.

Gedeon
10-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Im am still disgusted with the sole fact of what those people did to Gadaphi. He wasn't a good man by any means, and he was one of the worst but the idea that those people could dance around and take pictures of him being inside a freezer all bloody with half of his head falling of sickens me.

BozeSG
10-23-2011, 06:39 PM
What country are you?

And generally I would agree, but the world is really focused on the Middle East now and the NTC seems to be doing a pretty good job. On that note so does the Egyptian Army. Though, I did recently hear something about some corruption in Egypt. I forget what it was exactly.
Iran. that's exactly what i'm talking about, other countries SHOULD start meddling in everything or all will be repeated again... there's a lot of difference between the viewpoints of a noble and a commoner (noble being the people from west who don't really understand how being under dictatorship means, feeling sorry for the very same people they destroyed (i'm generalizing a bit here, don't be offended), and commoners being the people from middle east who only have a history of being taken advantage of...)

point being, nothing is going to change if the nobles don't force their life styles on commoners...

EDIT:all right, even i find my own comment pretty weird now...-_-, ignore this if you want...