Shota-Roe
10-14-2011, 09:29 PM
it doesn't look so bad only the everything looks bad to me lol

http://www.nabyn.com/_p/2011/10/13/Splattered-13693-19181.png

do your worst

Halo
10-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Try and do that with your finger.

Nope. Fingers have THREE joints. Try holding a knife (that's what it is, right?) in a cool way and see how you do it. It looks a bit delicate here.

The nose could stand to be a bit smaller... Well, actually, just a thinner bridge, I think.

Lip tone is clashing a little with the darker/grayer skin tone and overall feel of the image.

We have upper and lower teeth, not just upper teeth. Best to at least put a line through if you can't define them nicely.

Nice concept tho'.

Shota-Roe
10-14-2011, 09:43 PM
lol i used myself as photo reference for this. i am double jointed in my fingers, so they can, in fact, do that. but you are correct on everything else and i appreciate you pointing those things out

Halo
10-14-2011, 10:02 PM
No problem, sorry if I was a little blunt XD

Shota-Roe
10-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Oh, no. bluntness is appreciated i hate people who try and sugar coat stuff for whatever reason. so long as you can tell me how to fix it be as negative as you want ahaha

Sylux
10-14-2011, 11:04 PM
It's a scalpel, not a knife. Big difference; a knife is used by Daniel from Amnesia, a scalpel is used by Doctor Chakwas.

Anyways, you need to cell shade the hair, but try to make it one gradient image with sort of a material edit. If you've ever done any 3D work you'll know what I'm talking about. If not, just make the streaks groupings instead of strands. Focus on symmetry, and on blocking in larger shapes and detailing them intricately out in their color. I can't talk much on this stuff because I'm too lazy to ever color my drawings (I only do polypaints in Zbrush and texture mapping).

But yeah, work on that stuff and I'm pretty sure you'll be pro.

CypressDahlia
10-14-2011, 11:08 PM
when shading, try to avoid using pure black. Always tint it with brown or blue. Pure black looks flat on canvas and detracts from the volume of the picture. Also, I seen you've left a lot of white areas on the canvas to represent lighter areas of the skin tone. Never use pure white to color anything unless you want something to look over-exposed (to light). I would recommend covering every part of the canvas, blocking everything out with a midtone first before applying shading on top.

The colors look a little under-saturated and and lack vital contrast in areas. The eyes are also kinda big, yeah?

Sylux
10-14-2011, 11:09 PM
I like the big eyes it makes him look super scary

Shota-Roe
10-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Aha thank you both for your inputs i am ashamed to admit that this was my first time coloring something seriously, so i'm glad you both had so much to say lolol