PDA

View Full Version : Give Yourself A Gold Star

Saith
10-14-2011, 12:45 PM
...If you help me, that is.

I'm probably not going to use this as a gallery - I'm probably just going to post here when I've got something that I'd appreciate critique, help and all that other cool stuff you guys do.

So topic number one:
Hair.
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/287/e/3/lineless_practice_by_arwhoooo-d4cshuv.jpg

It looks wrong, but I'm stuck. Help, please?

Shota-Roe
10-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Ears are too defined. Even with lots of detail there should be no "lines". Nose is a tad too skinny. Pupils should be circles, not cat ovals and should be black. Hair does not normally loop and there is no reason to suggest it should like that. All in all though I am amazed at your high level of skill and hope to see more from you, bigger and better

[edit] oh quick tip, the hairline seems kind of off in some places. try and keep the hairline constant

Saith
10-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah, you're totally right about the loops. Now that you've mentioned it, I can't unsee how... Wrong they are. Thanks. :)
The ear, too, looks like I left some of the 'rough' in - I'm pretty sure I was gonna go back and soften it up, but good catch, ta. :)
I think I caught the problem with the hairline, though - I put the base colours in separate layers in GIMP with the 'multiply' setting, which means that when they over lap, it sort of shades darker, which gave a very definite and artificial line. The hair covering her forehead looks like a really bad N64 texture, completely 2D, too.
Shit, also, I used the fuzzy select tool on the base for the hair, which is why it looks so artificially cut off, kind of. Rough.

On the eyes though - they were meant to be cat's eyes. ;)

Thanks a lot, man. Is there anything else I've missed, can anyone see?

e: the eyeliner's pretty shitty, too. And the lashes. Blagh.

SuperKasey
10-15-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm probably not going to use this as a gallery - I'm probably just going to post here when I've got something that I'd appreciate critique, help and all that other cool stuff you guys do.

That's what the critique corner is for, silly xD

This is my opinion, but drawing hair with individual strands generally isn't a good idea. Not sure if that's how you were working but it looks like it from where I'm standing. It's a lot easier, faster and more natural looking to draw the hair as a larger base with clumps and locks so you can get the shape right. Then go back and add details like highlights and shading staying true to the texture and shape of the hair and then go in and add individual strands where they would be visible and some fly-aways to make it look more realistic.

Saith
10-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Ahem
I know.
I- I totally read the rules.
Totally. >_>;

And I have trouble with that way of drawing hair. I realise that it's better in the long-run, but I... I really cannot do it. Guh. There any good tutorials for that?

SuperKasey
10-15-2011, 04:19 PM
I found this tutorial that might help :3 http://leejun35.deviantart.com/art/Hair-tutorial-114093020

It's kinda what I was talking about and you still end up with a nice soft "strandy" effect.

Saith
10-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Thank you so much. :)
Much appreciated, and i shall try it out soonish. :)

CypressDahlia
10-15-2011, 05:08 PM
You should never try to draw out every strand of hair. It doesn't create the illusion of volume. (A full head of) hair is layered, so it shouldn't seem like there are inconsistencies between strands. This can be avoided by blocking out the hair first then placing the highlights to give it form. From there, define where most of the attention will be placed, usually in the bangs where hair is thinner and more spread out. Large bulks of hair should remain blocked in, for the most part.

Saith
10-15-2011, 05:25 PM
I totally see what you mean, and I think that that would work best for me. Much appreciated.
But just so I know, this (http://div.dyndns.org/EK/tutorial/hair/) is the sort of thing you meant, right?

Shota-Roe
10-16-2011, 12:57 PM
On the eyes though - they were meant to be cat's eyes. ;)

if they're cat's eyes they should still have a black pupil...

SuperKasey
10-16-2011, 03:08 PM
if they're cat's eyes they should still have a black pupil...

Not necessarily. I've seen many pictures where the use of a black pupil would be too dark and harsh. Simply using a darker color than the iris will give the illusion of depth and keep a very soft feel to the eyes. Color is an artistic decision and there is not really a right or wrong way to do it especially in this case.

Saith
10-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Aye, I'm not a fan of black pupils. I prefer my shading to be softer, so I feel that a piece of solid black would... Well, it'd clash, I suppose.
Like Kasey said, it would feel too harsh. :)

Saith
10-16-2011, 07:44 PM
So is this any better?
It's a little rough, but I tried what you were saying, Dahlia. :)

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/289/1/d/practise___different_hair_by_arwhoooo-d4d2907.jpg

Hamachi
10-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Hey Saith, just wanted to say that I think you're making a good step with the method you use to draw - specifically, how you use free strokes to show the hair on the gal's head. One warning I would make is to be careful not to fill in spaces by scribbling. The main purpose behind every mark you make should be on sharpening and solidifying the target's features.

The second thing I think would benefit you lots is to practice proportions, or in this case, facial proportions. The drawing has several placement errors I won't go into because you'll know them instantly once you memorize the rules anyways. Try working slower and figuring out if you've put everything in the right place before following through.

Last piece of advice. You will not improve simply by knowing the rules. If you want to get good at this sort of thing you'll have to draw tons of heads. Heads from the top, heads from the side, from the bottom, at 3/4ths views and from behind, etc, etc. At least a hundred heads, in fact. Painting will be more of a hassle for this sort of practice, so I suggest getting a good old-fashioned pencil and piece of paper to practice from reference until you become extremely confident. Good luck. =]

Saith
10-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Thanks. And yeah, I got a bit impatient near the end there. >_>;

Working slower? Gah, but it already takes hou-

Oh right, pencil, yes. Working on a tablet takes so long, and for some reason I can't draw lines between the top-left and the bottom-right.
No clue why. >_>;

Gedeon
10-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Id say some facial features are off. Like the nose and the eyelids(well eyes generally) the mouth are good but a bit too big (for my preference). And i feel your pain fr the time that need to do something good with a tablet OAO

Saith
11-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Sorry I haven't updated in a while, but I haven't had all that much to draw.
Still, I've done a little something, and I need some general critique. It's nowhere near finished, and looks almost nothing like how it should, but still!

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/325/8/4/dresden_dolls_wip_by_arwhoooo-d4guh23.jpg

Maxx_Wellington
11-21-2011, 12:25 PM
I hope this comment is coherant and better than my average (since I really would like to help).

I understand that, like in real life, you would like to draw without showing defined lines to block in the anatomy (like drawing a line for the chin) however, there are a few places on the human body that shadows do just that. Dimples, breasts, nostrils, eye sockets, chins, ears and arm pits are just a few.

As you drew your girl, the chin lacks this shaddow's definition. The shadow should be more defined than the others as your lightsource seems to be comming from the top right (our right) so the skull itself isn't allowing the light to hit the neck beneath it. However, do to your head's angle, the shadow would be prominent to our left side (her right side of the neck.) The same could be said with the nose, however in a much smaller scale as the distance is smaller. Her right eye socket (the skin arround the eye) also looks slightly concaved as is normal on a human being. This fact, however, will allow the eye socket to be darkened by shadows a bit more than you did. However, since it's not that deep, I would leave the eye as you made it.

here is a link to an actress that demonstrates all the shadowy areas mentioned before (at least on her face and neck)
http://cdn.buzznet.com/media/jj1/2009/07/mcadams-running/rachel-mcadams-running-woman-03.jpg

This picture of Olivia Wilde is also a great refferance for your cheekbone and nose (just cause you can't have enough refferances)
http://www.ladystrends.com/images/201010211720356439.jpg

And this final refferance picture is of a girl with the same style of lighting as you have and a similar pose (head tilt wize)
http://youoffendmeyouoffendmyfamily.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Woman-Glasses-1_slide_show.jpg

I hope this post has helped you.

Saith
11-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Thank you so so much for all of this. I can totally see what you're coming from, and I'll get back to work immediately. Again, thank you. :)