PDA

View Full Version : How does one come up with unique clothing and character designs?

GAbRieLWrIgHt
10-12-2011, 09:59 PM
I was kinda wondering how people came up with unique character designs, because I feel like all of my people look similar to a character from somebody else's show or manga, and I figured a lot of other people ran into this problem to so...yea.:cat_hmp:

trilokcool3
10-12-2011, 10:09 PM
THATS what you have to figure it out ...... use your creativity thats how we get new things ...unless you experiment yourself you will never know.....
the people who came up with these designs too have applied there own creativity.....
SO ITS ONLY YOU YOUR OWN BRAIN YOUR OWN CREATIVITY

ram
10-12-2011, 10:22 PM
I think this question is already answered in the fashion style thread.

http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/showthread.php?1081-fashion-styles../page3

Rio said, Just start with some simple shirt and simple stuffs and design it to something different with belts and ribbons, zippers and pockets.

Siaman
10-12-2011, 10:49 PM
or you could browse in magazine to gain idea...

shadowriku22
10-12-2011, 11:18 PM
By being creative. If i could draw the manga of the anime i can see behind my eyelids I'd be a rich man by now. But really, read manga and slowly your mind will make something (or is that just me 0.o).

Hamachi
10-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Or buy this fabulous magic reference book that will guarantee 100% success in anything you attempt to draw!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hl0ZsAyeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/How-Draw-Manga-Encyclopedia-Everyday/dp/4766112571)

NOT!
But I did buy it anyways.

I decided it was a nice reference after flipping through it.

Rio
10-13-2011, 06:39 PM
With over a billion people in this planet, there's no way that your characters will 100% be unique. It will always look similar to someone else's work. For example, there are some people who classify any and all characters with big eyes as anime style even though one may be more Westernized in my eyes than the other.

Anyways, as I said (that ramiel quoted) - start with a basic look that you want, whether it's a uniform, fancy clothing, casual, or fantasy. From there, add elements that you want to add from ribs, buckles, bracelets, designs (ex/ Chinese patterns), and anything that goes with the style you are going for.

In another point of view, you can start with a silhouette. In high fashion (and in video games of old), for example, to create an impact on the viewer (and to make it stand out from one character to the next), each clothing set (or character design) will have it's own set of colors and shapes. Example:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/Halkel06/FF6HD3.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wstTDai4HKA/R89-TL3suAI/AAAAAAAACSg/Fq-4BO1VIdw/s400/Project+Runway+Christian+S..bmp

FYI - some other tips:
-use texture if you don't want to add a lot of accessories
-color is also a good way to make distinct clothing pieces
-now-a-days, people also like to add a bit of bling and glam to their clothes (or for women, anyways) by adding shiny belts,shoes or something that shines generally in their outfit.

Just be aware that it's normal to make several roughs first before you get the design that you like. Save your designs because you never know when you'll look back on it and it'll be just what you need.

GAbRieLWrIgHt
10-13-2011, 09:37 PM
thanx, yall are really helpful...I already done did try these techniques.

tagYURIT
10-14-2011, 01:52 PM
. .i agree with miss Rio . u should practice putting plain clothes on ur characters then add details^^. its helps and its fun^^

Shota-Roe
10-14-2011, 09:24 PM
keep in mind that detail does not always equal good. like rio said you need the fundamentals of clothing down (and when i say down i mean completely mastered) before you attempt putting anything too grandiose on your characters, because if you don't know what you're doing and you end up putting too much detail in it looks stupid

Peteman
10-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Also think of what sort of setting your character/s will be in. Not every character is a magical girl with more bows frills and fancy bits than could be considered sane. As others have said, as most manga involves high school students t-shirt and jeans is a good blace to start. Or if there in a sci-fi manga have fun thinking up some awsome looking space suits, or if it's a fantasy, look at real armour and then just pimp it up a little. If there part of a specific faction mayby that faction has a particular clothing type or symbol on there clothing, Naruto's a good example of that.

Pete

Saith
10-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Keep it simple is my advice.
I mean, sure you could go the direction of Final Fantasy, but in the end that gets all cluttered and pointless and... Well... Dumb. They convey nothing about the characters.
A good example of character design is Team Fortress 2. Not only does every aspect of their appearance clue you into their personality, roles and, well, damn near everything else, they're also instantly recognisable due to their silhouette.

I mean, there's nothing exactly wrong with zippers and ribbons and whatnot, but in my opinion, agood design should be able to be described in a sentence or two.

He's big, bald, unshaven and angry. He wears a bandoleer and carries a huge machine gun.
From that, you instantly see a big soldier who knows what the fuck he's doing, but doesn't give a shit about his appearance - he's too busy gunning people down and laughing.

On the other hand:
He's black, he has an afro and a goatee, he wears a green duster and carries twin revolvers.
He's... a cowboy? Maybe?

She's got long red hair and wears a, uh, weird white jacketshirtdressthing. She also carries a gunblade.
So... I guess she's a warrior, but... Um...?
Belts?

Don't be unique just to be unique. Take something that exists, and twist it to the character. A knight who can never stand to rest when he could be fighting evil, who hardly ever even sleeps will probably wear old, rusted, smelly armour and carry a chipped, notched sword. He'd probably have a bunch of scars and bags under his eyes, along with long, knotted hair and a full yet scraggly beard.
You fit someone's appearance to their character. :)

Cloudy
10-19-2011, 09:05 PM
I usually try and think of what I want to achieve, and think a lot about it. adding things to my model, changing things around to my liking and experimenting. sometimes some inspiration is required, from fashion photographs etc.

btw, the above comment is purely that persons opinion...you do not HAVE to keep it simple, you can go all out crazy. imo simple looks boring and plain.

GAbRieLWrIgHt
10-19-2011, 09:19 PM
yall are so helpful...i haven't gotten any bad advice -.-

Rio
10-26-2011, 05:07 PM
imo simple looks boring and plain.There's simple that looks boring and plain and then there's simple yet interesting because of added textures, detailing like seam lines, and design. But I think it all depends on the execution of the character overall. I mean, take a look at this: (http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/dragons_crown_amazon_01_thumb.jpg)

http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/dragons_crown_amazon_01_thumb.jpg
(If you can't see the image, click here (http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/dragons_crown_amazon_01_thumb.jpg))

She has rather plain clothes but overall, it works imo. ...Unless you think it looks boring regardless? =_=

Anyways, like I say, it all depends on the character you're making. If they're a boring non-descript type of person, then make them simple, boring clothes. If they prefer loud flashy clothes, then put them in fancy gear with all the frills. If they're the elegant sort, then put them in timeless, classic-styled clothes.

What I dislike is people putting characters in clothes that doesn't fit them at all. I mean, I see Princess's being put in bikini-style clothes swinging swords yet their personality is demure, very girlish, and downright not what I was expecting. Talk about total disconnect! :<

ram
10-28-2011, 11:19 AM
I mean, sure you could go the direction of Final Fantasy, but in the end that gets all cluttered and pointless and... Well... Dumb. They convey nothing about the characters.

I don't like this comment, I'm a fan of final fantasy designs and their artworks, And they are faaaaarrr more better than team fortress 2! those actually look really dull.

GunZet
10-28-2011, 11:23 AM
It's all in execution of style and detail management/balance. Regarding FF and TF2, they both work for a reason, and are totally unrelated anyways.

ram
10-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Sorry about that,:cat_fly: My blood suddenly burst out when I read that FF design is dumb. :cat_blood:

GunZet
10-28-2011, 11:51 AM
FF has some of the most defined character designs out there. I haven't seen one I hate yet.

GAbRieLWrIgHt
10-28-2011, 03:26 PM
FF is the best rpg out there, and the people who design the characters are amazing to. I actually really like to design character's off of that, and I can use there designs to make sure that my armor, clothing, and other stuff that has to do with character design will work and will not have that look of random stupidity.

Edit: I can't see the picture that you posted Rio :/

Sylux
10-28-2011, 07:45 PM
Draw ideas out from historical clothing. For instance, an Indian in fucking space. Don't do that, cuz I already took it (like your avatar, eh), but it's an example.

ram
10-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Nice, you two exactly alike! o.o so who's the real one?

anyway I just rip off a page thingy here
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/skyramiel/154-1.jpg

It's hard to tell when you can't read. OTL

but the example above shows that it starts with a simple shirt and skirt and then he or she designed it with a different designs,

You just have to pay attention to the type of clothes, winter, summer, autum and stuffs. It will be weird if you make some scarf and some really hot jacket and everyone alse is wearing summer clothes. We'll depends if your making a manga but I do take consideration of Season and Place. last time I made a clothes where there are two girls with different seasonal clothes, and now that I checked it, It actually looks weird

Rio
10-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Edit: I can't see the picture that you posted Rio :/Whoops! Fixed it. It is here. (http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/dragons_crown_amazon_01_thumb.jpg)

GAbRieLWrIgHt
10-29-2011, 10:35 PM
still can't see it :/
403 error

GAbRieLWrIgHt
11-05-2011, 05:56 PM
i can see it now