PDA

View Full Version : Privacy Profiles

ClockHand
10-05-2011, 12:00 PM
As people might know, every profile in MT has a privacy option in which if its On, it protect your profile and information from people you don't know (or you don't want them to look your information) but at the same time it private other users to see your art work. This last subject defiance the purpose of a art community reason of this thread.

What I want to know is other people opinions, if you think the privacy option should be taken away or it should be changed, because when the privacy is On, doesn't only forbid you from watching that person art, but also to send PMs and other options, and a art community is supposed to encourage those. Or if you disagree with me, tell me why the privacy option should be kept.

CypressDahlia
10-05-2011, 12:05 PM
I think it's pretty pointless, since this is not a social network, it's an art site. If anything, it should just stop you from sending messages/commenting on that person's art. It shouldn't stop you from viewing it. That's the whole point of putting it in the gallery.

Blue_Dragon
10-05-2011, 04:52 PM
It's kinda frustrating when you need to send stuff to people. Like if you were gonna send the Secret Santa directly to them. Not that it happened to me last year, but I could see it being a problem.

Sylux
10-05-2011, 06:27 PM
I really like privacy because I only want Jaidurn to see my thingy

thingy = address

ClockHand
10-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I have to add that you can put a password to your gallery.

Here are some galleries that need passwords to be seen (to show the amount of art work that is banned for us):
http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/Dreamerartist/photo/my-comp-arts/
http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/Viviane/photo/viviane-manga-art/
http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/Crossnokuni27/photo/stuff-u/
http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/ShenDinosuar/photo/some-work-i-ve-done-awhile-ago/
http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/nisaren/photo/nisaren-s-art/
http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/TheDarkOne/photo/demon-halo/

There are more profiles and gallery that need password or be friend so you can watch them, and the problem is that those challenge the idea of a Art community. If people wanted to make their work private they could easily use imageshack or any other image uploaders, or even more, don't join to an art community site.

CypressDahlia
10-06-2011, 12:10 PM
If you don't want to show anyone except a few people your work, there's no point in adding it to the gallery. Just show them over an instant messenger or something.

ClockHand
10-06-2011, 12:13 PM
exactly.

Rio
10-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Personally, I find no problem with not being able to see people's artwork. If they want to share it, fine. If they want to keep it private, fine. There are other reasons for privacy such as swapping images with a fellow team member or just to get feedback from certain people. If I was working on a swimsuit image for say the next SaiMoe and wanted an opinion from Mikuru (and Mikuru only) if it's too racy or not, then this would be where the password comes in handy. Or how about if you're working on a surprise drawing for someone and wanted input from other members except that one person you're making it for - that password will come in handy.

With that said, I don't really care if there is privacy here or not but for now, it is an option for those who want it.

Regarding the privacy of the profiles, most if it is to keep the privacy of the younger members. Regarding the PM to friends only, I think I finally found the setting which lets you PM anyone. Give it a whirl and let me know if it's working for you guys now.

Hayashida
10-06-2011, 03:39 PM
A lot of people, I think, don't even know that their profile is set to private when they join though. Like when I'd have to send people a PM, I'd ask them to turn off their private setting and they'd be like "what?". So yeah.

CypressDahlia
10-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah that seems like the case. So maybe we should have it off by default?

snowb400
10-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Wait what? We have passwords for galleries?

Rio
10-06-2011, 05:45 PM
It's not Galleries, it's personal Albums.

Black_Shaggie
10-06-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm kind of on the fence on this one. I mean, on the one hand ithis IS an art site so why wouldn't a memebr want to show off his works to everyone here? But, on the other hand, what if the member(s) who use the privacy setting are also using MT as a place for them to show their art to certain people...like a working portfoilio? Or they have a lot of personal stuff like OCs which haven't been copywritten yet (I dunno). Or maybe they just want hier friends to see thier work. These reasons would justify personal Albums being private.

Doesn't too much sense though. Why would somebody come to a site called Manga Tutorials, look at other people's stuff, but not want to show off thier stuff? Like I said...I'm on the fence...

Does kinda suck when you're looking through the public gallery, see some cool work you want to comment on only to find out it's password protected...

ClockHand
10-07-2011, 01:05 AM
Personally, I find no problem with not being able to see people's artwork. If they want to share it, fine. If they want to keep it private, fine. There are other reasons for privacy such as swapping images with a fellow team member or just to get feedback from certain people. If I was working on a swimsuit image for say the next SaiMoe and wanted an opinion from Mikuru (and Mikuru only) if it's too racy or not, then this would be where the password comes in handy. Or how about if you're working on a surprise drawing for someone and wanted input from other members except that one person you're making it for - that password will come in handy.

I can see a problem. It's that MT is a art Community (or I guess it is), which mean you need to share to form part of the community and if you don't, you are using MT as a tool. What if we start having a lot of people who only upload private albums for them as a image host site? MT will have more users, yes, but MT also is not going to be a expanding community and more a next Imageshack.us.

What would be from DA if people could make their work private? If you need passwords to navigate through DA.

You could send users the image by PM if you need a direct opinion from a specific someone.

With that said, I don't really care if there is privacy here or not but for now, it is an option for those who want it.

Well, then I guess the discussion is over.

I'm kind of on the fence on this one. I mean, on the one hand ithis IS an art site so why wouldn't a memebr want to show off his works to everyone here? But, on the other hand, what if the member(s) who use the privacy setting are also using MT as a place for them to show their art to certain people...like a working portfoilio? Or they have a lot of personal stuff like OCs which haven't been copywritten yet (I dunno). Or maybe they just want hier friends to see thier work. These reasons would justify personal Albums being private.

Why would you upload images to a art community if you don't want to share with the community? If you want to show to certain people you send the images or send links (DA?), if you work in your portfolio you still have DA and other image host sites. There is no reason that justify a private album in a art COMMUNITY, because it goes against the primal concept of a community.

Doesn't too much sense though. Why would somebody come to a site called Manga Tutorials, look at other people's stuff, but not want to show off thier stuff? Like I said...I'm on the fence...

Stalkers. If you join to a community you have to share with the community, because if you don't you will not be integrated in it. If you have people using MT as a image host and not being part of the community then MT will be used as a tool and not a community site.

CypressDahlia
10-07-2011, 06:53 AM
This tacks onto things said in the old sketchbook section thread. Currently we have over 8 thousand uploads in the gallery. In fact, I would say the bulk of the community is gallery/profile-exclusive. It's taking a lot of focus away from the forums as it behaves similar to a social network.

Black_Shaggie
10-07-2011, 10:47 AM
I see what yo're saying Clock & Cype. This is an aty community & there really isn't any point for anyone to post thier art & then hide from the entire community. I upload everything I do [here] here &,the stuff I can't show, don't want to share I keep at home. Simple. If I wanted topub something I'd give a link to another site...but I think that's bad behaviior on a personal site myself.

Okay, yous guys have persuaded me to jumo the fence. The privacy option is crap. We all should show the art we choose to here & keep stuff you don't wish to share at home.

Sylux
10-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I want to use the site as basically a Dropbox, except for Jaittaceti's concept art. I pay money to be a premium member on the site, might as well be able to take advantage of space on here without worrying about ideas being stolen, but it's not like we're good enough yet anyways, but so what anyways.

CypressDahlia
10-07-2011, 02:48 PM
I feel like paying for a premium membership when you just mentioned a free alternative that is a hundred times safer is kind of counter-intuitive. Why did you decide to go for a paid membership when you know about Dropbox? Esp. since dropbox is also private so it addresses both of your concerns.

Sylux
10-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Well I got a Premium membership because I wanted to support the site. The blogs and groups and extra inbox space are just a bonus.

Rio
10-07-2011, 04:04 PM
MT isn't Image shack. If you hotlink any of the images on any other site other than MT, nothing will show.

Like I said, the option is there for people if they wish to use that feature or not. Each of those members must have a reason for using password protection. With that said, I do agree with you about the community aspect. Here's a compromise: I will take away password protection for Regular members but it will stay for those who have Premium membership. You will have to respect any Premium member's decision to password protect their work.

Sylux
10-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Good compromise

Rio
10-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks!

Btw, can someone check to see if they can see the password protected albums that Clock posted earlier? Since I'm an admin, I see and can go to everything. <_< Thanks!

Sylux
10-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Dreamer - PROTECTED
Viviane - UNPROTECTED
Cross - PRIVATE
Shendin - PROTECTED
Nisaren - PROTECTED
Lucky - PROTECTED

Rio
10-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks! I'll have to check on the whole thing...

[EDIT]
Okay, all of the above should now be un-password protected. Cross, you will not be able to get to because she set her profile as private.

If anyone comes across a person who still has a password protected album, let me know. Tnx!

CypressDahlia
10-07-2011, 07:14 PM
That's a good compromise, yes. People who pay to support the site deserve the extra option.

Black_Shaggie
10-07-2011, 08:54 PM
I agree that the compromise is good. I mean...I'm a fairly new (free) member...but I feel if you're paying you should get some extra perks.

Fenn
10-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Privacy of images I agree with Clock. It's a community, you should upload because you want people to see the stuff.

Privacy of PMs and profile info should be optional. I'd like to keep my PMs open, but in no way should I be required to reveal my personal info on the site. If that happens I'm leaving. No one here needs to know more than my username and gender.

Rio
10-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Dude, that's why you make fake info. For example, my other birthday is April 1. Sometimes October 31. Even January 1 works too. C:

Anyways, divulging private information like that is where I draw the line. If they want private information - go to Facebook.