PDA

View Full Version : Your most hated/loved anime and manga tropes

jubeh
09-25-2011, 09:44 PM
It's this thread again. Basically talk about tropes in manga that you love or hate.

Love: When a badass character somehow ends up having to take care of a little kid.
Love: Special moves of any kind

Hate: Headstrong stubborn male leads who have cold, calculating rivals.
Hate: Character with raw talent who must be "refined" but in the early chapters is completely capable of beating people better than he is until the obligatory training arc.

ClockHand
09-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Love: When a important character die and the story is not over yet.
Love: Revenge stories.
Love: Characters made to hate.
Love: Characters who are not black or white (morally).
Love: Coherency in action.

Hate: K-on (everything in it).
Hate: Innocent characters.
Hate: N00b characters who made a big leap in skills in few seconds.
Hate: Characters who do constant resolutions.

Sutari
09-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Love: A main character that dies distracting an OP bad guy so that his friend can escape, prompting said friend to become stronger until finally they avenge him in the end. The right way.

Hate: Resurrections of any kind. The dragonballs are an exception since they are a one-time thing, but the multiple resurrections in shonen nowdays make me sick.
Hate: A vision of parents triggered by the main character almost dying that transforms them into the ULTIMATE POWER SUPREME BADASS. And it usually goes like "I'm an orphan but my parents loved me all along! I CAN FEEL THEIR STRENGTH"

Matt
09-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Love: Characters who make believable sacrifices for their friends/loved ones. (Keyword: believable)
Love: Loli characters who don't get sexualized.
Love: Clannad. The only romance I've ever enjoyed.
Love: Zero-to-hero stories done without dead parents helping the hero out, special dormant powers from a special bloodline, etc.
Love: Dynamic characters and static characters who have a legitimate reason for remaining static.

Hate: Flashbacks that last longer than three seconds.
Hate: "We can never defeat this guy! Oh, we just did. We can't defeat this next guy! Well, imagine that! We did!" *repeat*
Hate: Characters who are surprised whenever the main character says something obvious. "I'm your friend!" *GASP!!!!!11one*
Hate: Characters who are sent through all sorts of trials and never change all the way through. (He Is My Master sucked like that.)
Hate: How everything is so stupidly obvious and yet everyone's surprised when stuff happens. "YUGI WON A CARD GAME!? NO WAY!!"

Come to think of it, most recent anime contains all the stuff I hate. That second "hate" one, I can't think of too many anime where I haven't seen that. Near the end of Index, an anime I previously enjoyed, a certain character gasped and went wide-eyed on EVERY SINGLE LINE THE MAIN CHARACTER SAID. "You're not a monster, you're my friend!" *Gasp* "We don't hate you!" *Gasp* "I'll protect you!" *Gasp*

I've got a text file full of tropes I hate in anime and other movies in general. It's too long to post here.

jubeh
09-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Hate: Characters who are surprised whenever the main character says something obvious. "I'm your friend!" *GASP!!!!!11one*

Yeah ham fisted sentimentality starts to get really old. It's always like this.

Character A: I'm your friend!
Character B: *Gasps and then says main character's name dramatically*

And I know fiction shouldn't have to mirror reality but has there every been a situation where you've seen somebody react like that? An adachi style silent scene is the route to go imo.

ClockHand
09-25-2011, 10:46 PM
An adachi style silent scene is the route to go imo.

Act, don't say. If a story can't be told through image, then you fail as comic narrator.

Also I life feeling in the story, but not quick shit. I like when a emotion is built and the characters show emotional impacts through the story, but the reader should be able to see those impacts.

Regantor
09-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Love: When a important character die and the story is not over yet.
Love: Characters who are not black or white (morally).

Yeah, these two are pretty much a must for any series I watch... I don't expect 100% death and despair, but "the good guys always win" is probably the most overused cliche in existence, in all media.

Also;

Love; Female main characters who don't suit the normal type casts (Girls who are lanky, have a low booming voice, wear non-revealing outfits that actually make sense, don't swoon after the hero, e.t.c...)
Love; Stories staring machines other than giant robots (Mecha are just supposed to be anthropomorphized vehicles, after all.)
Love; Mad scientists. Often silly, but when they are done intelligently; Damn can they get awesome. Desty Nova was a badass.

Hate; Series which brag about being "realistic", and then fall on their asses in the first ten seconds. Flag and Code Geass, I'm looking at you.
Hate; Spending a whole bunch of episodes saying that magic can only work a certain way, and then having the main character break that rule just because they are "special". >_>

ram
09-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Love: Same as clock, I love important characters who just died but it's not over yet. like kamina from gurren lagann.. at first I really thought he's the main character >_>.
Love: Smart characters
Love: Main protagonist so full of him self. (sakuragi hanamichi at slum dunk)
Love: Character who mainly rely on tactics not power not just hidden power or some sort.
Love: Moments where the sub character has lost all his/her hopes and the main character just happens to save the day on that moment.
Love: Character who gets mocked by the enemy and then comes back for revenge and mocks the enemy back.

Hate: Main character treated as sub character and doesn't show that much (like bleach)
Hate: Character who just happens to win without any tactical methods, he just happens to slash the enemy with brute force.
Hate: Drama is good, but don't make it last for more than 4 or 5 episodes.
Hate: Too slow progress of story
Hate: Training for so long but ends up with not much change at all.

Regantor
09-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Hate; When absolutely everyone in the plot's world is obsessed with the series' resident magic, martial art, or technology, and nothing else has any effect on the plot at all. It's equally bad in martial arts series as it is in mecha series... "Hah! You think that pathetic toy will work against ME?!"...

ClockHand
09-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Hate; When absolutely everyone in the plot's world is obsessed with the series' resident magic, martial art, or technology, and nothing else has any effect on the plot at all. It's equally bad in martial arts series as it is in mecha series... "Hah! You think that pathetic toy will work against ME?!"...

Hah! you think that pàthetic rant will work against the Industry?!

Yeah its kinda lame when they use such archetypic/stereotypic characters.

Hate: When nothings happens (I'm look at you K-on).
Hate: Retarded love triangles.
Hate: Unbelievable villains (I'm evil and I'm going to destroy the world, because there is nothing else I can do and I'm evil).

Love: When a character face his own despair (in a believable way).
Love: Unorthodox endings (Ex: When the Hero, who after saving the girl, doesn't end with her).
Love: A deep villain with a nice psychological background and a believable evil goal.

snowb400
09-28-2011, 07:10 PM
I agree with clock on the villain thing.

Matt
09-29-2011, 08:44 AM
As do I. I've been agreeing with Clock a lot recently. Watching Index yesterday, I realized that it's possible to take "believable villian" a bit too far, though. EVERY bad guy in Index has motivations and reasons for his or her (mostly her) actions, and after the first few, it gets sort of ham-handed and confusing. So they're trying to kill this little priestess girl from the Church of England because they have some connection to an old friend who once knew her and wants to start a war because -- yeah, screw it. Spoiler alert. The main character beats her anyway by saying obvious things and making her gasp to death.

Three more:

Hate: Villians that try to be believable but whose motives are a mess of confusion and deus-ex machina devices.
Hate: Token immature ecchi situations in anime that they don't belong in.

Love: Anime that approaches human sexuality in a mature, non-gratuitious way (Clannad did this pretty well).

ram
10-01-2011, 07:36 AM
Love: when the hero is trying to save the world but ends up he's the one destroying it in the first place and the villain is the one who's really trying to save everyone.

Hate: when every other team member is useless and the only one useful is the hero.

Regantor
10-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Kind of a biggie, but...

Hate; Plots with a Good v.s. Evil mentality. Explain it as you will (An evil alien race, some kind of evil energy infecting people, e.t.c), these plots always end up ridiculously shallow with characters that have been done a billion times before. More to the point, characters so idealistic and silly that they barely act like people at all. Grey v.s. Grey is so much more unpredictable and engrossing- When both sides see themselves as the "home team" in particular.

ram
10-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Love: When the story of why the main characters are in the big mess in the first place was because of the wrongs that they done and paying for it.
basically my perfect types of story build is FMA and gurren lagann, those are the types of story where I can't see anything I would put "hate" in it, I just so loved it from first to finish.

Arashi500
10-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Love: In depth explanations of how supernatural properties work
Love: Believable and interesting combinations between technology and the supernatural. probably why Sci-Fantasy is my favourite genre(Star Wars is an example, just with a lot more focus on the Sci).
Love: What most people consider "too much world-building". One of the reasons Tolkien is favourite of mine, because more often than not, I'm more interested in the setting and history than the main characters and plot.

Hate: When antagonists are much more interesting and developed than the protagonists.

Also, I'm not sure where I stand on the resurrection thing. I mean, what if a character is just capable of self-resurrecting so many times that killing them is just pointless or at least a very inconvenient method of dealing with them? I love these sort of characters when well handled, and hate them to death when they aren't.

snowb400
10-07-2011, 10:28 AM
I didn't hate the gameplay on naruto clash of ninja 2, but the fights were obviously staged. It was basically like, "Why must I fight these random people that are on my side" "Um... the other guy told them to kill you so you must fight." Yeah... sorta obviously staged fights.

Sylux
10-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Kind of a biggie, but...

Hate; Plots with a Good v.s. Evil mentality. Explain it as you will (An evil alien race, some kind of evil energy infecting people, e.t.c), these plots always end up ridiculously shallow with characters that have been done a billion times before. More to the point, characters so idealistic and silly that they barely act like people at all. Grey v.s. Grey is so much more unpredictable and engrossing- When both sides see themselves as the "home team" in particular.
So did you not like LOTR or what

Kenzieroo
10-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Love: When the Character actual has to practic to be good at something (Realistic)
Love: Unorthodox endings
Love: Internal and external conflict both in one book

Hate: Love triangles
Hate: Character who just happens to win without any tactical methods, he just happens to slash the enemy with brute force.
Hate: Characters that know exactly what to do all the time

Regantor
10-08-2011, 09:37 AM
So did you not like LOTR or what

I don't exactly hate it... but Tolkien did start writing it in 1937. Superman started at pretty much the same time, and nobody minds taking the piss out of his early efforts.

My point overall point is, I think that kind of idealism is a little dated. Killing orcs because they are orcs kind of ruins the point of the good guys being 'good'. Killing people because they are 'poisoned' by some kind of evil energy or influence is even worse.

Take Erwin Rommel; A nazi general put in charge of the Africa campaign during world war II, who continuously dissobeyed Hitler's orders to mistreat prisoners, and was a brilliant strategist who was loved by his men.

Matt
10-08-2011, 09:36 PM
@Reg - I didn't agree with you at first, but then you brought up Rommel. Yes, Hitler was evil, and yes, the genocide committed was evil, but not every Nazi was a murderous psychopath. And now that I'm in that mindset, yes, gray vs. gray rather than black vs. white is often more interesting.

Hate: Every element that makes up To Aru Majutsu no Index. It is the very embodiment of annoying anime tropes. Its only redeeming points are the art style, a slightly different blood effect than most anime (it's textured), and the concept of a city of superpowered students that is much better expanded upon in the spinoff (Railgun). Here's a (very) condensed list of stuff that Index did wrong:
1. An uninformed, almost ironic portrayal of foreign religion (Christianity). Saints in hooker garb. Wow.
2. A boring hero. Kamijou Touma was more interesting in Railgun BECAUSE we knew nothing about him (I saw Railgun first). Now that he's explored "in-depth," we see that he's shallow, static, and boring.
3. No overarching plot. Just a series of boring, predictable, insubstantial short stories.

Love: When the protagonist's parents are both alive and present. Even in family-oriented Disney movies, there were only two where both parents were alive and present. One was 101 Dalmatians and I can't remember the other.

ram
10-09-2011, 12:05 AM
yeah I hated the characters too, I like the idea of their powers but the story is not how I like it played out. kamijio touma has been an douche bag harem boy as the story progress.

tomoki from sora no otoshimono is still the best harem guy I seen, cause he takes his chances if he gets a chance lol!

Edit: Hate: Queens blade and everything of it's story. if not for the awesomeness art I won't watch it.

Hamachi
10-14-2011, 01:49 AM
Heh. Awesome art. Eheheh. Like the compelling plots of those visual novels?

*pokes ram*

Matt
10-14-2011, 09:50 AM
On the topics of visual novels, I hate it when content is taken out for English release to make it more child-appropriate or culturally acceptable. That's why I stick to fan translations, and even then, they must have some sort of program that allows me to edit the translation team's horrible grammar and spelling.

Oh, and Tomoki: I'd like him a lot more if he stayed out of his chibi form. I'm put in the awkward situation where I want to take Sora no Otoshimono, but chibi Tomo makes it impossible. Other than that, I do prefer him over most "comedy" harem anime/manga protagonists.

jubeh
10-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Orrrrr learn japanese like the translators you hate did

CypressDahlia
10-14-2011, 03:21 PM
I hate it when people talk too much during fights.

jubeh
10-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Hey listen I know we're having an epic battle right now but do you mind if I explain my entire back story to you

CypressDahlia
10-14-2011, 06:54 PM
And I'll just stand there and listen courteously and make surprised expressions when you say something startling.

Matt
10-15-2011, 10:22 AM
I was actually considering becoming a proofreader for a translation team at one point. And I don't hate translators. They're awesome. But it seems like too many of them just run all the lines through Google Translate and leave it at that.

Also, isn't a flashback the perfect time to land a good hit? I mean, like you guys said, they're just standing there changing stances and making intense facial expressions. While one guy's got his eyes closed remembering why his dead mom made him kill all the good guys, couldn't the hero just waddle over and own him? Or at least tie him up and take him to jail?

That reminds me: Why is every anime character with any sort of motivation motivated by dead moms? And why are they so surprised when someone finally says, "Your dead mom wouldn't want you to [insert stuff here]?"

Scratch that. I know why. Maybe I just need to read more seinen stuff.

Regantor
10-15-2011, 10:47 AM
On a related subject;

ORPHAN POWERS, ACTIVATE!

Seriously through, this is probably the most overused trope ever. People only even use it because having super young characters is 'cool' and parents would just get in the way of the plot.

Hamachi
10-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Hey, my parents were eaten by a whale. Show some respect.

ram
10-15-2011, 09:14 PM

http://7.p.s.mfcdn.net/store/manga/386/04-014.0/compressed/14_31_32.jpg

Hamachi
10-15-2011, 11:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gntd2.jpg

CypressDahlia
10-16-2011, 01:07 AM
I hate characters who are always whispering, even when speaking outloud... like srsly. I understand that works in a sound booth, but in real life no. And it's really annoying.

jubeh
10-16-2011, 01:10 AM
Man some people talk like that irl like Cake.

Hayashida
10-16-2011, 01:16 AM
haha yeah

ClockHand
10-16-2011, 01:19 AM
I though cake was trying to be mysterious.

CypressDahlia
10-16-2011, 01:29 AM
I mean it prolly works in a microphone but when communicating face-to-face I doubt your voice would carry more than 20 feet if you tried to pull a Hinata.

Evil_Cake
10-16-2011, 01:35 AM
it is my curse

ram
10-17-2011, 06:59 PM
I don't get it, Whispering while speaking out loud I mean.

CypressDahlia
10-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Hinata from Naruto, for example. Or Rose from Fullmetal Alchemist.

Matt
10-17-2011, 09:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gntd2.jpg
His reaction makes more sense that way. I suppose that's the joke, though.

Regantor
10-17-2011, 09:48 PM
...Am I the only person who thinks it looks like the guy has a MEGA LONG right forearm sticking out in that right panel?... And the girl is like, resting her wrists on it, or something?...

*^*

CypressDahlia
10-17-2011, 09:56 PM
slenderman