View Full Version : "what it means to draw more"

apples13
09-22-2011, 02:23 AM
drawing more does not just mean to go blindly draw

1. come up with an idea
2. attempt to draw
3. realize you can't draw something

step 4 is the complicated part.

beginner way: trial and error/draw something new/hide what you can't draw behind something

pro: look up references of the object/pose or related object/pose
manga,animations,fashion models, google, etc.
study/understand why the object/pose is that way

"this part takes time"

5. return to picture like a b.a and finish what you could not draw

rinse and repeat

Psy
09-22-2011, 03:40 AM
Ok so I should only try drawing things I know that I will not be able to draw? Then learn to draw them? How does that make sense? Is this ment as a challenge or as advice?

apples13
09-22-2011, 04:14 AM
Ok so I should only try drawing things I know that I will not be able to draw? Then learn to draw them? How does that make sense? Is this ment as a challenge or as advice?
advice i guess
it is hard to realize what specifically you can't draw, so you need to find that first.

Hamachi
09-22-2011, 08:22 AM
Figuring out the how of drawing some subject when it turns out you can't draw that specific thing, you mean? I can agree with that. It's surprising how many people don't think analytically like that.

Fenn
09-22-2011, 10:50 PM
Figuring out the how of drawing some subject when it turns out you can't draw that specific thing, you mean? I can agree with that. It's surprising how many people don't think analytically like that.

As a hobbyist, I can say for me it's because that's what I do in most other areas of life. Always analyzing, pressuring myself to do better, confronting challenges. It's rewarding, sure, but also exhausting. Which is why, as art for me is more a means of relaxation and recreation, diving head on into an analytical art process is last on my priorities.

ClockHand
09-22-2011, 10:57 PM
beginner way: trial and error/draw something new/hide what you can't draw behind something

pro: look up references of the object/pose or related object/pose
manga,animations,fashion models, google, etc.
study/understand why the object/pose is that way

I agree in the analytics aspect, I disagree in your classification. I don't think a pro will use references while a beginner is going to figure out what is wrong. I think both methodologies are complementaries.