PDA

View Full Version : Do You Believe in Ghost?

zeez132
09-20-2011, 02:19 AM
Well, the title says it all: Do you believe in ghost?

I'm pretty sure ghost do exist but yet I choose not to believe it. There have been many cases when the TV in the living room would turn on by itself.

Oh, one time my brother was watching the movie, Spirited Away, on the TV's DVD player. At the time I was in my room, hearing echos of the movie. It was raining and I was drawing. Nothing happened. Oh, but I was wrong.

After some time passed, the movie was beyond the beginning, and it's a long movie(2 hours). I could just hear the which it part the movie was. It was at the part when Chihiro was with No Face on the train to go see Yubaba's twin sister.

All of the sudden, the movie went back to the beginning, back to the opening scene. It went back to the beginning, where Chirio's mom is talking to her.

Now, at the time, I just thought my brother missed something and he wanted to see it to clarify. At this time, I finished drawing whatever I was and went to grab something to eat. So, I went walking out and saw my brother asleep on the couch, knocked out. Surprisingly, that didn't make me question on why the movie restarted.

So then, I walked to the kitchen to have some leftovers, and my brother says to me in a very tired voice, "Did the movie restart?" I nodded my head obliviously.

Then I asked, "I thought you did that yourself." My brother shook his head and looked at me.

"You didn't restart it yourself?" I asked.

He shook his head again, and asked me in a low, "Was it a ghost?"

I shrugged my shoulders and said, "I dunno... Maybe the ghost saw Spirited Away and was sad that the it couldn't watch it from the beginning. So it, restarted the movie without touching anything."

"Wait," my brother paused, "the remote was by me but there was no way I could hit a button to restart the movie."

We looked at each other with surprised faces. My brother took out Spirited Away from the DVD and I ate some food. And the rain was just pouring down.

So, what do you guys think? Do you believe in ghost, myths, or anything paranormal. Go ahead and share your own story or stories. I personally, find it interesting to hear what people have to say, because everyone has something different to say.

Hayashida
09-20-2011, 02:22 AM
Uh sometimes DVD's skip and go back to the start.

GunZet
09-20-2011, 02:24 AM
I do believe in er...spirits/ghosts. Let's just leave it at that.
Expect a Kodos.

CypressDahlia
09-20-2011, 03:25 AM
I have a dilemma. I want to see a ghost one day. But I feel like seeing a ghost will either a.) drive me insane, b.) haunt me for the rest of my life or c.) kill me.

Hayashida
09-20-2011, 03:31 AM
It would give you a notebook and help you kill people

CypressDahlia
09-20-2011, 03:31 AM
Yeah but that's a death god.

jubeh
09-20-2011, 03:32 AM
I don't believe in ghosts but I love ghost stories and exploring "haunted" places.

Hayashida
09-20-2011, 03:36 AM
exploring "haunted" places.
Yeah that's fun.

CypressDahlia
09-20-2011, 03:37 AM
I've always wanted to camp out at a "haunted" place. To the point where I already know the order in which my friends will slowly be picked off.

jubeh
09-20-2011, 03:39 AM
It's one of my dreams to visit the Zone and wander around at night but I seriously doubt I'd have the balls to do it.

Hayashida
09-20-2011, 03:40 AM
I've discovered that if I'm in the right mindset I can walk around scary places and stuff, but as soon as I start thinking about shit that could happen and possibilities of like zombie hobos attacking me I freak the f out.

jubeh
09-20-2011, 03:42 AM
In the area where my parents lived in the philippines taxi drivers wouldn't go certain places at night because there were stories of this "white lady" who would appear in your car as you were driving and cause you to crash.

Hayashida
09-20-2011, 03:43 AM
so just because she's white she'd cause a car accident I see how it is

GunZet
09-20-2011, 03:44 AM
Lol...I've heard a million different renditions of that same story.

jubeh
09-20-2011, 03:45 AM
According to wiki its a p popular story. The fact that taxi drivers take it so serious is what makes it cool to me.

Evil_Cake
09-20-2011, 04:05 AM
It's one of my dreams to visit the Zone and wander around at night but I seriously doubt I'd have the balls to do it.

wats the zone with a capital z

jubeh
09-20-2011, 04:09 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_Nuclear_Power_Plant_Exclusion_Zone

Evil_Cake
09-20-2011, 04:14 AM
o that

Hayashida
09-20-2011, 05:00 AM
That would be an awesome place to explore

trilokcool3
09-20-2011, 05:05 AM
it is up2 u . If u have sensed 1 then its true for u , and if u narrate that 2 ur frnds then u wil get kicked.
For me i hav nt sensed 1. But i feel somtimes after i see horror movies.
But true fact is
YES GHOST DO EXIST .

Psy
09-20-2011, 05:30 AM
Ghosts exist. It may be in your head but yeah they exist. Read the manga Butterfly and you will see.

I have seen and heard even felt things that I have to justify as real because otherwise it does mean I am insane.

CypressDahlia
09-20-2011, 07:03 AM
Recently I've been feeling strange crawling sensations all over my body. Consistently, almost every night. But when I look at the affected area, there is nothing there.

digitek
09-20-2011, 08:32 AM
A friend once told me about this cat thing, that if you think about it and picture it in your mind you will find 3 stratches on your back (as if done by a cat). She said she'd tried it and it worked, but didn't want me to do it. I've always been scared that I would accidently think of it, and then it reminded me of The Game.

...but yeah I guess I do believe to an extent, but I also think a lot of it on tv and most psychics are very much fake. Its easy to fake things like that, and the weird things that happen can often be explained.

Superdooperphailmachine
09-20-2011, 08:45 AM
I don't think they exist and there are non-supernatural explanations to almost all ghost encounters.

Matt
09-20-2011, 08:56 AM
I don't believe in ghosts but I love ghost stories and exploring "haunted" places.
^Pretty much this. I want to see a ghost just to see what all the rage is about, but at the same time, I don't think I ever will.

Byakuran
09-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Stop creeping me out guys D:>

I believe there are things we do not know of. Like ghosts... my mom always used to tell me a story about ' good ' ghosts... Like when people used to travel (back in the old days no gps) they would get lost in dark and forest someone would appear in white clean clothes and show them a direction... And like 2 years ago my uncle went to India and like went to a countryside place... at like 2AM and he walked with his brother and like he said there was a cementery and he heard a female voice scream and cry, they got scared lol and as he walked he saw a person in white clothes, he told them they were burying someone and they shouldnt be scared and told them the way to the village and a place where they could stay... and like my uncle moved and and went like 'wait burying someone at 2AM? ' he turned back and the guy wasnt there anymore xD....

My bro used to tell me evil people can see the devil... and as a kid i always thought i was a bad kid because i didnt do stuff what my mom said and felt like i could see things in shadows and stuff, i dont now but when i think about it i'm always afraid they are going to get me for being a ' bad person ' xD... Ghosts always creep me monsters, mutans and zombies dont much but i'm p. sure when a attack happens ill be shittin my pants.

Sho
09-20-2011, 11:41 AM
I'm p. sure if ghosts or monsters existed we would've had proof by now . _ .

Unless they possess some kind of super-developed technology shit and like to use it to scare people for kicks and giggles.

CypressDahlia
09-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Technically we do have "proof" of ghosts. But we just consider those people and their evidence to be crazy.

GunZet
09-20-2011, 02:46 PM
You coulda just straight up came out and said you were talking about the SyFy channel.

Evil_Cake
09-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Recently I've been feeling strange crawling sensations all over my body. Consistently, almost every night. But when I look at the affected area, there is nothing there.

hmm wash ur sheets

GunZet
09-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Bed bugs.

jubeh
09-20-2011, 04:03 PM

Shave your body

Hayashida
09-20-2011, 04:14 PM
It's all in your mind. Don't underestimate the power of the brain

Fenn
09-20-2011, 04:50 PM
If you mean "exist" as in an object made of matter/energy, then no.

But I believe people can percieve things in their mind, and these things can still have a tangible effect on them even if they don't exist in real life. So yes I think ghosts can exist in some sense.

CypressDahlia
09-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Man if it was in my mind it wouldn't even happen cuz I'm far too distracted to be paranoid. I'm often not even thinking about it, either drawing or watching cartoons, and it happens. If it was bugs or something I would probably see it. No bug is that fast. My first reflex is to swat the area of my body cuz I grew up in a country where houses had no glass in the windows.

Fenn
09-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Man if it was in my mind it wouldn't even happen cuz I'm far too distracted to be paranoid. I'm often not even thinking about it, either drawing or watching cartoons, and it happens. If it was bugs or something I would probably see it. No bug is that fast. My first reflex is to swat the area of my body cuz I grew up in a country where houses had no glass in the windows.

Definitely a ghost. A very physical one at that.

Hayashida
09-20-2011, 04:59 PM

I unno, maybe it's subconscious.

Byakuran
09-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Maybe its a perv from your country, cuz he's also just as fast as your reflex?

Maybe it just a mental itch?

CypressDahlia
09-20-2011, 05:05 PM
shit I'd rather it be a ghost than a perverted ninja.

Fenn
09-20-2011, 05:42 PM
shit I'd rather it be a ghost than a perverted ninja.

Idk do you have any ninja traps handy? If not I can lend you some.

Superdooperphailmachine
09-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Cype, it is probably body hair.

Byakuran
09-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Wait... Your gf isn't a ninja right?

CypressDahlia
09-20-2011, 07:38 PM
That wouldn't make sense, Phail. I'm 20. I hit puberty a decade ago. I've had body hair for years.

Gedeon
09-20-2011, 07:45 PM
.......i would belive in ghost's if there was at least one good evidence of them. But the way things are....nope.

Fenn
09-20-2011, 08:10 PM
That wouldn't make sense, Phail. I'm 20. I hit puberty a decade ago. I've had body hair for years.

Your body hair is you ninja girlfriend?

CypressDahlia
09-20-2011, 08:16 PM
I don't understand what people mean by "proving ghosts exist". I think people are making a subconscious distinction between science and the supernatural where anything that sounds superstitious has no chance of being proven. So, even if someone brought bold-faced evidence that a ghost -- say, this (http://pettiplays.wikispaces.com/file/view/KeeningBanshee_sketch2.jpg/232278550/KeeningBanshee_sketch2.jpg) ghost -- exists, the scientific crowd would refuse to call it a ghost. They would probably respond with something like, "That's not //really// a ghost, it's a tangible form of energy that takes the shape of a ghost, despite being everything a 'ghost' is supposed to be". So I don't think "ghosts" can ever be proven to exist -- it simply sounds too superstitious. They're just gonna call it whatever the scientific equivalent of a ghost is because they're too offput by superstitious notions. Just like how there are "giant squids" and not "sea monsters". What people might have called a sea monster once was given a less superstitious name, despite being everything they described it to be. In this way, I don't think "ghosts" can ever be proven to exist.

Maybe very physical electromagnetic fields that touch you at night.

Kodos
09-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Which ghost? This thread is titled "Do You Believe in Ghost?" Singular. So which ghost? Because I'll have you know that Slimer is totally real.

Of course not. It's part of my whole "not being a child or seriously mentally ill" thing I like to do.

it is up2 u . If u have sensed 1 then its true for u , and if u narrate that 2 ur frnds then u wil get kicked.
For me i hav nt sensed 1. But i feel somtimes after i see horror movies.
But true fact is
YES GHOST DO EXIST .
THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

Hayashida
09-20-2011, 11:25 PM
He's asking about nearly headless nick

Fenn
09-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Which ghost? This thread is titled "Do You Believe in Ghost?" Singular. So which ghost? Because I'll have you know that Slimer is totally real.

Of course not. It's part of my whole "not being a child or seriously mentally ill" thing I like to do.

THEN WHO WAS PHONE?

Existence is defined by qualities. So ideas don't exist. That's what I learned from the God thread anyway.

ClockHand
09-21-2011, 12:11 AM
I only believe in Ghost type pokemons.

zeez132
09-21-2011, 12:15 AM
I only believe in Ghost type pokemons.

Nice one! Ha ha!! ^-^

Kodos
09-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Existence is defined by qualities. So ideas don't exist. That's what I learned from the God thread anyway.
You can name qualities of an idea. "Exists in the form of electrochemical activity in the brain" for example. If I knew more about neuroscience I could go into more detail.

Also, I used to have a Gengar back in the days of Red and Blue who, I swear, had like a 99% success rate for Hypnosis.

ClockHand
09-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Gengar was extremely overpower on Red & Blue pokemon, even Haunter was extremely over power, they never failed any attack (hypnosis, confusion ray, thunder bolt, what ever).

As Ghosts doesn't exist we could make this thread "Ghost Pokemon Thread". At least those exist and we will look less crazy talking about them.

CypressDahlia
09-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Or we could just talk about Ghosts.

Kodos
09-21-2011, 01:01 AM
Gengar was extremely overpower on Red & Blue pokemon, even Haunter was extremely over power, they never failed any attack (hypnosis, confusion ray, thunder bolt, what ever).

As Ghosts doesn't exist we could make this thread "Ghost Pokemon Thread". At least those exist and we will look less crazy talking about them.
Psychic Pokemon were the worst though. Red and Blue were so hilariously broken in that regard. Hell, Alakazam is still my main bro.
Also remember how you needed the Silph Scope to see them, originally? Yeah, the dropped that after the first game.

ClockHand
09-21-2011, 01:05 AM
Most of the pokemon that need trading for evolution are ridiculous over powerful. And I hate that because it make the game retarded and I never had friends to trade )=

But well, now with the 934875348957483 legendary pokemons the game is even more retarded (I have tried to see the competitions but everyone use the same pokemons -.-).

Hayashida
09-21-2011, 01:58 AM
Stick to the topic

MiKuRu
09-21-2011, 03:58 AM
Well I think ghost are p much real or "Spirits" is a better word for them. The word "GHOST" was just to scare little kids so they would go to bed early at night. Anyway I did encounter some weird unexplained stuff when I was younger back at my old house. It was like at the middle of the night around 2-3am and such. My bed was facing the door so yeah. Anyway I suddenly woke up for no reason and suddenly my door opened. I turned my head over to look who was coming in but when the door opened there was no one there! But the door was still moving as if someone was coming in. The minute I said "hello?" the door slammed shut. It was so loud it woke my whole family up. It couldn't have been my brothers cuz they were all asleep at that time and my parents wouldn't do something stupid like that and I was sleeping in the same room as my sister so what the heck was that? Also the door slam was awfully louder then usual. We tried slamming the door but it was not as loud as the first slam that woke us up so yeah it p much freaked us out :/.

CypressDahlia
09-21-2011, 04:14 AM
Like I said, even if we prove there is such thing as ghosts, or at least, some form of visible/tangible apparitions, they're not gonna call them "ghosts". "You silly people believing in 'sea monsters'. It's called a 'giant squid'. Even though we're talking about the exact same thing and it surely exists, our name is much more convincing. You are crazy for believing it's a sea monster. Now excuse us while we probe our half-ton, 40-foot long tentacled beast that emerged from the darkest deepest depths of the ocean."

Superdooperphailmachine
09-21-2011, 04:45 AM
Well Cype, it is called a giant squid because it is a Squid that is giant.

CypressDahlia
09-21-2011, 05:33 AM
Would you look at me like I was crazy if I said "sea monsters exist", though?

GunZet
09-21-2011, 06:27 AM
No. I lost my best friend when his ship was attacked by a hydra. I watched in horror from about 20 clicks away as it swallowed his ship whole. Sometimes I think I can still hear him and his crew scream from within the belly of the wicked beast. As if it hasn't fully digested them yet...cruel fate.

Superdooperphailmachine
09-21-2011, 06:34 AM
Monster typically means, large imaginary creature. Giant squids aren't imaginary so aren't really monsters.
You could call them monstrously big or something though.

GunZet
09-21-2011, 07:01 AM
Hitler could be/is counted as a monster. Just depends on your definition and the context.

CypressDahlia
09-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Monster has nothing to do with being imaginary. We describe things as "monsters" all the time. And how many "monster movies" are there ABOUT giant squids? Plenty. This is what I mean by making the subconscious distinction between "Scientific" and "superstitious". Once a subject becomes evident, tangible or proven, it crosses into the scientific and people want to cut all ties with the superstitious aspects of it, even if it's exactly the same thing with a different name.

Superdooperphailmachine
09-21-2011, 07:14 AM
Monster is associated with things that don't exist, such as Frankenstein and Bigfoot. when you describe something as a monster you are saying it has similar qualities to a big bad imaginary creature.
People cut the superstitious part because superstition implies witches and magic, not real things.

GunZet
09-21-2011, 07:20 AM
Let's just split this into two different kinds/categories of monsters and leave it be.
Btw, I love Casper. He's a bit of a creeper, but awesome nonetheless.

CypressDahlia
09-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Monster is associated with things that don't exist...

You are proving my point. Giant squids didn't exist to the greater scientific world until early 2000. Until then, they were classified as "monsters", both in movies and in myth. Now that they do exist to the greater scientific world, you want to call them something else? They're the exact same creatures depicted in myth and movies (maybe a little less colorful), but just because it's crossed into science, you don't want to acknowledge its association with the superstitious.

In other words, the giant squid was a monster that was proven to exist. But nobody wants to admit that it was once a myth. Likewise, if ghosts are found to exist in one form or another, nobody will want to admit that it was once a myth either.

Oh, and once aliens are discovered, we're gonna pretend like it was never a myth either.

Superdooperphailmachine
09-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Aliens visiting earth is a myth, when/if we eventually travel to other solar systems galaxies ect we will still say that aliens never visited the earth before whatever year. We might even stop calling them aliens who knows.

I don't know what you are getting at with the not acknowledging thing. We discovered a creature, we named and categorised it like we do with all other creatures, because it exists it stops being a monster because unlike a monster it is a confirmed real thing.

In the unlikely event ghosts are confirmed to exist I will acknowledge that we didn't believe in them and all you believers will get to gloat.

CypressDahlia
09-21-2011, 08:07 AM
That's exactly it, though. The "MONSTER" is a confirmed, real thing. To call it a giant squid and refuse to call it a monster is to pretend like it was never a myth. Basically, anyone in the 1800's who told tall tales of 40-foot long tentacled sea beasts was right. There are such things as sea monsters, we just gave it a different name. Basically superstition and science are not a strict dichotomy. Things pass in between them quite frequently. The line between reality and imagination is extremely thin so for the scientifically inclined to look down on superstition and the superstitious is kinda BS.

Superdooperphailmachine
09-21-2011, 08:16 AM
It stops being classified a monster because we now know it is real and a monster is what we call something that is not real, It gets reclassified, nobody is pretending there was never a myth.

CypressDahlia
09-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Argh. Monster does not always denote something imaginary (obviously). In the dictionary one out of five definitions associates the word with something imaginary. What I'm saying is that a superstitious person who believes in giant squids and refers to them as "sea monsters" is no less valid than a scientific person who refers to them as giant squids. It's a different name for the same thing. Yet you get cooky looks if you mention "sea monsters". This is because people don't want to accept things with superstitious implications, even if it's proven true. They always put a different spin on it.

Superdooperphailmachine
09-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Aside from the name what is "The different spin"?
And Sea monsters are more than just the Kraken, if you came up to me saying sea monsters exist I would give you funny looks because I am assuming you mean things like The leviathan or a hydra or something.

CypressDahlia
09-21-2011, 09:20 AM
a "different spin" meaning one that disassociates the actual creature with its superstitious origins.

Superdooperphailmachine
09-21-2011, 09:31 AM
You mean not saying it came from the bowels of hell?

CypressDahlia
09-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Most krakens aren't from the bowels of hell--//the// Kraken is, but not most. The word is used to describe abnormally large tentacled creatures in general. But that's beside the point. What I mean is that taking the same creature and giving it a different name doesn't discredit its superstitious origins. So just because it "exists" to the world at large now doesn't mean it's no longer a "sea monster". It definitely is, it's just a famous and published sea monster.

Superdooperphailmachine
09-21-2011, 10:18 AM
It doesn't change it's origins, but it does change it's name and classification. It was a sea monster and is now a very big cephalopod.
If I had a sex change I would stop being a man and become a woman. Calling me a man would be incorrect but saying I was originally a man may be be correct.
While we doubted it's existence and heard stories about them dragging ships undersea and being monstrous hellspawn it was a sea monster. Now we aren't as ignorant to it's existence it has been reclassified and given a less cool name because "SEA MONSTER" sounds childish or something.

CypressDahlia
09-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Well actually it would still be correct to call you a man since you still have the male set of chromosomes. But I get what you're saying. I agree.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
09-21-2011, 12:24 PM
I agree totally that 'sea monsters' and 'giant squid' are different terms to describe the same thing. Hell, some people in Indonesia describe the Komodo dragon as a monster. You're also right that people in the 1800's who described giant squids and no one believed them turned out to be right, in a sense. However, they also said that these sea monsters could bring down their ships with one tenticule. This is not true, ofcourse. Its the old 'Once I caught a fish this big' thing. The 'monster' in question does exist, but they have exaggerated the tale to turn it into supernatural fantasy. This happenes all the time. Great White sharks exist, but not the ones the size of the shark in the movie Jaws. Big ass lizards exist, Godzilla doesn't and so on.

Anyway, I dunno what this has to do with ghosts, so I'm gonna try and drag this thread back to the orginal topic.

I'm surprised that a person as logical as yourself Cyp believes in ghosts. Anyway, its good that you do, cause I find this an interesting discussion to have. Could you just sum up for me why you believe in ghosts, what experiences you have had that lead you to think this way, and why you feel the explaination of ghosts is the correct conclusion?

Kodos
09-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Well I think ghost are p much real or "Spirits" is a better word for them. The word "GHOST" was just to scare little kids so they would go to bed early at night.
Because "spirit" sounds so much more mature, sane, and less mythological than "ghost?" Really?

Anyway I did encounter some weird unexplained stuff when I was younger back at my old house.
As I have said countless times in Psalm; you can't say something is unexplained and then immediately proceed to simultaneously explain it and use it as evidence.

And, no, I'm not going to address your anecdote because if the most compelling evidence you can offer up for something is the supposed testimony of a child regarding a door slamming. Yeah.

And regarding how absurd the belief in ghosts is, it's just so funny. Because believing in souls was not irrational enough?

CypressDahlia
09-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Actually, HoS, I don't believe in ghosts. I'm really only posting here in good humor (obv. since here I am talking about perverted ninjas). But what I was saying was that even if we do find conclusive evidence of ghosts, it's going to end up like the case of the giant squid where they will refuse to call them ghosts. No scientist is ever going to stand in front of a podium and go "those superstitious motherfuckers were right!"

But because I don't believe in ghost, I do not rule out the potential of ghostly sightings/experiences eventually being explained under one unified rationale. I'm sure we'll find one concrete reason for most "ghosts" one day, it's just gonna be called something else. It's probably a lot more literal than that.

Byakuran
09-21-2011, 05:04 PM
http://paranormal.about.com/od/ghostphotos/ig/Best-Ghost-Photos/

:/

Kodos
09-21-2011, 05:13 PM

http://paranormal.about.com/od/ghostphotos/ig/Best-Ghost-Photos/ (http://www.google.com/search?q=slimer&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1366&bih=580)

ClockHand
09-21-2011, 05:28 PM

Wow, no one could even photoshop those pictures.

To be fair, old cameras are very sensitives with the light and depending of the film you are using is pretty easy to ruin it and make white shades and other stuffs. More than prove of ghosts are prove of bad photographers.

The old prove of the night sounds (which was made in european castles) was refuted because it was proved that the sound was the leaking on the stones of the castles.

For mikulo, the problem with the door is quiet simple (I have it to), is all about wind. The door of living it open and close pretty hard if I left one window open (even slightly opened).

Celestial-Fox
09-21-2011, 06:24 PM
I believe in spiritual beings, but not "ghosts" in the traditional sense. I mean, you could refer to them as ghosts, but I don't believe that you can get haunted by them or whatever. >.>

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
09-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Actually, HoS, I don't believe in ghosts. I'm really only posting here in good humor (obv. since here I am talking about perverted ninjas). But what I was saying was that even if we do find conclusive evidence of ghosts, it's going to end up like the case of the giant squid where they will refuse to call them ghosts. No scientist is ever going to stand in front of a podium and go "those superstitious motherfuckers were right!"

But because I don't believe in ghost, I do not rule out the potential of ghostly sightings/experiences eventually being explained under one unified rationale. I'm sure we'll find one concrete reason for most "ghosts" one day, it's just gonna be called something else. It's probably a lot more literal than that.

Well, yeah, once something has a scientific explanation, it ceases to be supernatural. And ghostly sighting/experiences are always so fucking lame. Like someone said earlier in this thread that their door opened and closed by itself during the night. Well, thats all the proof I need. I think it has already been explained though, its called 'something a bit weird happening and then you jumping to the silly conclusion that its something supernatural, with nothing at all to support that claim.' Seriously, I've met people who have atributed losing their car keys to ghosts. Seriously. It just boogles my mind.

Oh, and sorry for accusing you of believing in ghosts, I havent read the whole thread and it sounded like you were.

CypressDahlia
09-21-2011, 10:39 PM
It's cool, but I do draw the distinction between "explainable, strange happenings" and strange phenomenon. Most ghost sightings are, as you said, just strange, otherwise explainable things that people attribute to ghosts. But I do believe that a small clutch of these sightings/experiences are true phenomena--or, in other words, unexplainable. That does not mean they're ghosts, but rather that they have yet to be explained by rationale of science or any logical evaluation. These are the ones that I'm waiting for a concrete explanation for. I'm pretty sure all of these can be explained by a single or many similar reasons: a single "ghost phenomenon".

In short, I don't think there are ghosts, but I do acknowledge unexplainable phenomenon of the "ghostly nature". We're just not sure what the exact nature of these phenomena are -- yet.

Outcast
09-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Neutral on ghosts, but I really wonder they see during the sweat lodges and vision quests.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
09-22-2011, 12:22 AM
It's cool, but I do draw the distinction between "explainable, strange happenings" and strange phenomenon. Most ghost sightings are, as you said, just strange, otherwise explainable things that people attribute to ghosts. But I do believe that a small clutch of these sightings/experiences are true phenomena--or, in other words, unexplainable. That does not mean they're ghosts, but rather that they have yet to be explained by rationale of science or any logical evaluation. These are the ones that I'm waiting for a concrete explanation for. I'm pretty sure all of these can be explained by a single or many similar reasons: a single "ghost phenomenon".

In short, I don't think there are ghosts, but I do acknowledge unexplainable phenomenon of the "ghostly nature". We're just not sure what the exact nature of these phenomena are -- yet.

I agree with you to the extent that there is a shit load of phenomena that we don't understand. Thats irrefutable. But every single account I have ever heard of 'ghostly phenomena' can be explained so easily. Usually by simple misinterpretation, but not always. I have yet to hear a single 'ghostly' event that has made me think 'Fuck, maybe theres something unexplainable there.' Ofcourse there are events and phenomena that mankind does not understand and can't explain, hell, we may never be able to understand or explain them, but 'ghostly phenomena' is not one of them as far as what I have heard is concerned.

CypressDahlia
09-22-2011, 12:39 AM
Well the most aggressive ghostly encounters are ones that are physical so there is really no way to prove it aside from personal accounts. Of course photographs, videos and audio can all be altered or damaged because...well...technology has its share of flaws. But there are a lot of word-of-mouth accounts of things that can't be documented, which is what makes it hard to explain.