PDA

View Full Version : Poobeh's Manga Reviews and Recommendations (One Outs review on page 2)

jubeh
09-16-2011, 12:34 AM
I was originally going to post a thread about baseball manga but it occured to me that I have read a ton of comics and I might be able to introduce people to stuff they wouldn't have bothered to find on their own.

I will take requests so if you want me to read and review something, let me know. I will warn you now -- DO NOT EXPECT ME TO LIKE ANYTHING. If you want me to review something just so you can hear me agree with you it probably will not happen!

I have the right to stop reading a manga once it starts to become ass, but I will try my hardest to get as far along as possible.

Also I will supply recommendations to people looking for something new to read within a certain theme or genre. I do not read shoujo are harem stuff, though, and for the most part I hate cute things. So don't come here for that!

jubeh
09-16-2011, 12:34 AM
H2 by Adachi Mitsuru

I didn't know how to start this review without giving away that I pretty much loved this manga immensely but oh well here it is. H2 is brilliant. I had heard that all the best baseball manga were written by Adachi, but I really had no idea what to expect. Fortunately I was not disappointed in the least.

H2 follows the story of Kunimitsu Hiro, a pitcher who was legendary in middle school but quit playing baseball after being told by a doctor that his elbow would break. Because of this he ends up going to a school that doesn't even have a baseball team, while his former teammate Tachibana Hideo goes to a school renowned for their baseball prowess. Things take a turn once Hiro finds out that the doctor that diagnosed his elbow was an unlicensed quack, and is perfectly fine.

Hiro then builds up a team from scratch in order to go to Koshien and face his best friend at the game they both love.

So most baseball manga tend to be the same. They usually involve some sort of talented character who needs refinement or may not even understand how to play. In most baseball manga you could replace baseball with soccer, basketball, or what have you and the story would be the same. Not true in H2.

For one the central rivalry here seems like a simple battle for supremacy in the game of baseball, but things are complicated by a love triangle between Hiro's childhood friend Hikari, who happens to be Hideo's girlfriend.

Its also worth noting that both main characters are the best at what they do. Hiro is arguably the best pitcher in high school baseball, and Hideo is definitely the best clean up hitter. There are no long, boring training arcs or talks about believing in yourself. Both boys are artists when it comes to baseball. This is important because as I mentioned earlier, you couldn't simply remove baseball from the equation. Both guys are good at completely different things when it comes to the game, and have wildly different personalities when it comes to everything else which makes the pitcher/batter dynamic that much more meaningful.

As for the negatives, there are just a few. There are random panty shots all over the place. I mean ALL OVER in totally inappropriate places. I don't understand it in the least. I guess I could just say OH WELL ITS JAPAN but it just ripped me out of what should have been a solid experience. Also a few characters tend to look alike but it's not a huge deal since most of the important characters look pretty distinctive.

So I give H2 a thumbs up.

Hayashida
09-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Sounds awesome dude, I will definitely check it out sometime.

CypressDahlia
09-16-2011, 02:39 AM
Really. The random panty shots are a minus?

jubeh
09-16-2011, 02:40 AM
Man

CypressDahlia
09-16-2011, 02:52 AM
Naw but it does sound cool how they made what would otherwise be a p. generic rivalry exclusively baseball in its characteristics.

jubeh
09-16-2011, 02:55 AM
Yeah he used baseball as a vehicle for the story as opposed to using it as an excuse to stretch out a training arc or melodramatic comeback moments.

CypressDahlia
09-16-2011, 03:06 AM
I'm guessing most of the panty shots are of the childhood friend, prolly just to make the competition seem extremely worth it. Do it for dat ass. Even if you have to kill your best friend: do it, for dat ass.

jubeh
09-16-2011, 03:07 AM
The panty shots are of random women, but each chapter begins with some sort of swimsuit drawing of said friend and another important female character so I guess.

Rio
09-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Adachi without "ass" service is not Adachi. Speaking of which - I didn't know you read a lot of baseball manga's Jube. So, whatcha gonna review next? There's quite a number of them around.

Hayashida
09-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Guys H2 is so good

jubeh
09-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Im reading Touch by adachi right now but my next reviews will be of rookie and ace of diamond.

Rio
09-19-2011, 11:40 AM
:thumbs up: You should get around to reviewing One Outs when you get the chance. :>

jubeh
09-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Anyone interested in baseball manga may like this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ikwTjsdtKo

The characters are taken from various manga including Ace of Diamond, H2, and that one manga with a really long name Im reading right now.

Hayashida
09-24-2011, 05:17 PM
that's for the DS, eh? Hmm. It looks cool but I assume I'd have to import it.

jubeh
09-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Kamiyama, hayashida and freddie are in it.

Hayashida
09-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Kamiyama, hayashida and freddie are in it.

oh my good god.

jubeh
09-27-2011, 06:31 PM
One Outs
by Shinobu Kaitani

I'm reviewing One Outs despite saying I would review a few other manga before it. The reason is that One Outs has a huge chapter gap which forced me to watch the anime in order to complete the story. I usually like to read a story two times before I review it, but in this case I didn't feel like sitting through the show twice, since it suffers from the same problems that every other show suffers from. I will touch on those later*.

Please note that the review only follows up to where the anime ends. The manga actually continues the plot but that will not be considered here. Take that as you will.

One Outs is a manga by Shinobu Kaitani, who also created Liar Game. For anyone not familiar with that comic, it was essentailly a psychological thriller story based around cheating and lying. One Outs is similar though it takes place in a world of baseball skewed by the author's off-center view of the game.

In my H2 review I pointed out that the most important thing in the story was the characters and the paralells between their lives on and off the baseball field. In One Outs there is only one character that matters -- Tokuchi Toua.

The story follows Tokuchi, a seemingly mediocre pitcher who has the ability to strike anyone out, losing what is essentially a bet and joining the minor leagues of Japan. Refusing to compromise his gambling nature, he makes a deal with the director outlining that he will get 5,000,000 yen for every out he pitches, but lose 50,000,000 yen for every run he gives up. For baseball fans wanting to know the specifics, this is a very dangerous bet because it doesn't include just earned runs but runs gained through errors as well. It doesn't help that the team he ends up on is the worst in the league, and shows no signs of improving. Oh and their star player is injured and can't bat.

Fortunately for Tokuchi, he has the uncanny ability to get into peoples' head and read the flow of the game. If I were to compare this manga to another one, it would be Yu-Gi-Oh sans the heart of the cards and with an even more useless cast of minor characters. Tokuchi always knows what is going on and is incapable of losing. I kept going along with everything because I wanted to watch him fail.

Which honestly made reading the story kind of painful.

For one, Tokuchi is one of the only characters in the story with a functioning brain aside from the "villains of the week" that shows up every now and then. The other characters serve to only act surprised whenever he says something valuable, or to be used as excuses whenever the author needs to explain a concept. This is especially frustrating because the author will explain every detail of you regardless of how simple the idea was.

The villain of the story, the one betting against Tokuchi, is basically the villain from Professor Gadget. He sits in a room and makes all these plans to screw Tokuchi over, fails, and then whines about how he'll get Tokuchi next time.

The author tries to trick you into thinking that Tokuchi's catcher Ideguchi is a major character, but he's also there for explanations and is even more convenient to use since he's always the one standing the closet to Tokuchi. The same happens with the star player of their team, Kojima. You may start to think he's a major player in the story but even he gets dumbfounded by every little thing, regardless of how obvious it is. Once again, you have this one guy whose job I didn't understand that calls Tokuchi constantly saying the One Outs contract is a mistake and he should compromise and give up, so that Tokuchi can smirk and act confident because he has some obscure plan in place. This happens all the time.

So is One Outs bad? Well, no. Not at all. It just requires you to suspend your disbelief slightly, and ignore the fact that the author assumes you're an idiot. There is a lot of fun to be had here.

There are no normal baseball matches in One Outs. There is always some sort of weird gimmick, or challenge to overcome. The best ones are the ones that involve the rules of baseball, which is why the sport is so suited for this comic. Baseball has a history of cheating, sign stealing, gambling, which makes it perfect for this kind of story.

For example, in one match the "enemy" team is trying to end the game as fast as possible, which means finding ways to get themselves out. I actually learned new ways to get out that I didn't know about before. In another match, Tokuchi's team has to find out ways to keep their signs from being stolen, and fight against spitballs.

I would say the comic is worth reading just for the games like that, especially if you enjoy baseball. Some people may get a kick out of the psychological factor that Tokuchi brings, but I found a lot of it was kind of insulting and the constant explanations got incredibly old really fast.

So I give One Outs a shaky thumbs up.

*If you thought the explanations were long in the manga, the anime finds a way to stretch them out incredibly. The pace is so jarringly slow that I found myself trailing off because I didn't feel like being belittled with a stupid explanation about how a guy is tired because he's been running for an entire game. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there are any plans to translate the chapter gap, but if you aren't as picky as me about pace and can sit through the explanations then by all means watch the show.

Hayashida
09-27-2011, 08:49 PM
I like the idea of the weird challenges in the baseball games, but that sounds like the only thing it's really got going for it. It sounds like yu-gi-oh with baseball instead of cards. And that thing with the anime sounds kind of dumb too. Hmmm. I dunno if I'll read this. I guess I'll take a look at it when I'm done H2.

jubeh
09-28-2011, 11:50 PM
You may like it since at one point they use the hidden ball trick. Also you should read mr fullswing.

Hayashida
09-29-2011, 12:02 AM
Haha you're saying I should read the entire manga so I can see them use the hidden ball trick? And what's Mr. Fullswing?

Rio
09-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Waaa~? You don't know Mr Fullswing? For shame Hayashida - go edumacate yourself nowz!

Nice review of One Outs, Mr. P. Here's another one if you haven't already read it: Saikyou! Toritsu Aoizaka Koukou Yakyuubu.

jubeh
09-29-2011, 07:56 PM
I've read that one. I think...I've read all the baseball manga ):

Rio
09-30-2011, 01:51 PM
There's one that isn't really about baseball - just a female doctor that swings a baseball bat: Batting Female Doctor Saori. Pretty funny; give it a read.