PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Thought: Problems Can Take Over Your Life

zeez132
09-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Have you ever thought: Problems can take over your life if you make it to be.

Now when I say this, I mean making problem, problems, all of your life will take you away. But if you just stop and think, and put all of your worries away, you can make your life as positive as you want. That is only if you rarely focus on your problem.

I am not saying you should forget your problems completely. Only keeping your problems in the back of your mind will make you even more keen. So in the future you will know how to deal with it.

The ultimate and most difficult accomplishment to do, is to solve with your problems. Anything, love, relations, bullies; anything. The only way to learn, is to struggle. Is to struggle with your problems. Because in life, no one is going to solve your problems for, but only you.

I know it's hard, sometimes, but keep struggling and never give up.

Problems are just problems, only everything is bigger than problems if your life, if you make it to be.

jubeh
09-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Okay

Kodos
09-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Outcast
09-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Urrrr, what the fuck is he saying exactly?

CypressDahlia
09-15-2011, 10:33 PM
C'mon guys let's not make a habit of alienating all of our new members. MT has quite a reputation for that.

Hayashida
09-15-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm sorry guys, but I really want to use that speech in a song

ClockHand
09-15-2011, 10:38 PM
C'mon guys let's not make a habit of alienating all of our new members. MT has quite a reputation for that.

is not like is our fault.

jubeh
09-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Welcome new friend

ClockHand
09-15-2011, 10:48 PM
How do you know he come as a friend and not a foe?

Evil_Cake
09-15-2011, 10:48 PM
what if i need a heart transplant dont i gotta let the surgeon solve my problem

ClockHand
09-15-2011, 10:49 PM
what if i need a heart transplant dont i gotta let the surgeon solve my problem

No, you should let the problem in a stand by and many years later try to solve it.

Evil_Cake
09-15-2011, 10:50 PM
oic by dying

ClockHand
09-15-2011, 10:57 PM
If you are not lucky

Ozzaharwood
09-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Have you ever thought: Problems can take over your life if you make it to be.

Now when I say this, I mean making problem, problems, all of your life will take you away. But if you just stop and think, and put all of your worries away, you can make your life as positive as you want. That is only if you rarely focus on your problem.

I am not saying you should forget your problems completely. Only keeping your problems in the back of your mind will make you even more keen. So in the future you will know how to deal with it.

The ultimate and most difficult accomplishment to do, is to solve with your problems. Anything, love, relations, bullies; anything. The only way to learn, is to struggle. Is to struggle with your problems. Because in life, no one is going to solve your problems for, but only you.

Problems are just problems, only everything is bigger than problems if your life, if you make it to be.

I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at—or why you decided to make this thread—but you're correct for the most part.

I believe most of this is learned over time, and even if not taught will take common sense and a little bit of experience to learn. Most people will start off with ignoring problems until they become depressed, but then they will learn that solving or ending these problems will not only make their lives better, it will make them feel better.

To me—since I believe people learn how to deal with problems on their own—this thread is redundant. But even if you think this as well, be nice. You guys are posting stupid crap that's irrelevant but you stay on topic to make it seem like you care. If you don't know what someone is trying to say, ask them to elaborate. I've seen forums with bigger trolls than we have here but they at least post with relevancy when it's not in the spam thread. Try to do the same, because it's getting old.

jubeh
09-15-2011, 11:36 PM
I disagree

Hayashida
09-15-2011, 11:55 PM
You guys are posting stupid crap that's irrelevant but you stay on topic to make it seem like you care. Ouch dude

jubeh
09-15-2011, 11:57 PM
Okay oz lets turn this into the thread you apparently want.

I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at—or why you decided to make this thread—but you're correct for the most part.

He's not and you will find out why if you keep reading

I believe most of this is learned over time, and even if not taught will take common sense and a little bit of experience to learn. Most people will start off with ignoring problems until they become depressed, but then they will learn that solving or ending these problems will not only make their lives better, it will make them feel better.

Do you even have proof of this? Most people will start off ignoring problems? You're saying that 51% of dudes will not bother finding a job after being laid off and having no way to feed their kids. This thread is just outrageous claims.

To me—since I believe people learn how to deal with problems on their own—this thread is redundant. But even if you think this as well, be nice. You guys are posting stupid crap that's irrelevant but you stay on topic to make it seem like you care.

I can't speak for everyone but I don't care in the least, and have no intention of seeming like it.

If you don't know what someone is trying to say, ask them to elaborate. I've seen forums with bigger trolls than we have here but they at least post with relevancy when it's not in the spam thread. Try to do the same, because it's getting old.

Ozzharwood, you are getting old. These guys trolling isn't a good thing, but neither is white knighting every chance you get. It is inconvenient for new members that these forums are so exclusive, but our culture here is undeniably unique. I don't ever want to have to pretend to be nice. That is fundamentally dishonest.

The only person that was even remotely over the line was outcast anyway and that like his thing that he does.

That is only if you rarely focus on your problem.

I am in an incredible amount of debt. If I were to rarely focus on my problems I would be forced to live on the street.

I deal with problems by working a terrible job which creates more problems. Realistically, knowing how to deal with problems doesn't help at all. For instance, all my debt problems would be solved with money obviusly. I know this. It does not help.

I get weekly headaches. On rare occasions I wake up with one every day. There is nothing I can do about this. A doctor could solve my problem. I have friends lending me incredible amounts of money that I will probably never be able to pay back in order to help me dig myself out of this hole.

So basically, I call bs.

Giving up would be infinitely easier. I honestly have no idea why I keep going on. Maybe its a subconcious fear that in the after life you just work retail for all eternity.

Wat

Plus we all just got trolled. BONDING.

Ozzaharwood
09-16-2011, 12:36 AM
Do you even have proof of this? Most people will start off ignoring problems? You're saying that 51% of dudes will not bother finding a job after being laid off and having no way to feed their kids. This thread is just outrageous claims.

I didn't mean as an adult. You start to learn this as a teenager. If you were never taught how to solve problems as a child, you'd just ignore them until something like high school comes along and then you are forced to act upon them.

I can't speak for everyone but I don't care in the least, and have no intention of seeming like it.

You don't have to, and it wasn't directed only towards you. I'm only asking you don't intentionally scare people off. You seem like you care now though.

Ozzharwood, you are getting old. These guys trolling isn't a good thing, but neither is white knighting every chance you get. It is inconvenient for new members that these forums are so exclusive, but our culture here is undeniably unique. I don't ever want to have to pretend to be nice. That is fundamentally dishonest.

The only person that was even remotely over the line was outcast anyway and that like his thing that he does.

I don't white knight every chance I get; I do it when people are acting stupid. Most new members here are alienated and become targets for trolls. I'm trying to stop that simply because I want new members. Maybe if we let them adapt to the culture here first instead of scaring them off right away, they'd stay. I'm also not asking you to pretend to be nice, I'm asking you to either post something relevant or say nothing at all.

Outcast I don't care about because he'll never stop being like that even if he gets banned five times. It would be nice if he kept it in the chatterbox though.

I am in an incredible amount of debt. If I were to rarely focus on my problems I would be forced to live on the street.

This I agree with. That's why I said for the most part.

I deal with problems by working a terrible job which creates more problems. Realistically, knowing how to deal with problems doesn't help at all. For instance, all my debt problems would be solved with money obviusly. I know this. It does not help.

I think what he meant by that was to keep your problems in the back of your head until you find a suitable solution, and not completely ignore it. I can't say for sure though, because that's just how I interpreted it.

I get weekly headaches. On rare occasions I wake up with one every day. There is nothing I can do about this. A doctor could solve my problem. I have friends lending me incredible amounts of money that I will probably never be able to pay back in order to help me dig myself out of this hole.

So basically, I call bs.

Ibuprofen extra strength 400 mgs. Cheap, effective, and no-prescription. I know this because there is a person in my family who gets severe migraines and these are the only effective medication. Also, I know he said "Anything" but I think in medical circumstances in which you can't do anything yourself are excluded.

Giving up would be infinitely easier. I honestly have no idea why I keep going on. Maybe its a subconcious fear that in the after life you just work retail for all eternity.

Lol. I think it's more of a fear that there is nothing after you die. Because that would suck. (I believe this, I still think it sucks)

Wat

Plus we all just got trolled. BONDING.

O_____O

jubeh
09-16-2011, 12:44 AM
I didn't mean as an adult. You start to learn this as a teenager. If you were never taught how to solve problems as a child, you'd just ignore them until something like high school comes along then you are forced to act upon them.

You never said anything about being a teenager but okay I guess you're conceding the point here?

You don't have to, and it wasn't directed only towards you. I'm only asking you don't intentionally scare people off. You seem like you care now though.

Its not so much care as it is concern for people that would take the op seriously.

I don't white knight every chance I get; I do it when people are acting stupid. Most new members here are alienated and become targets for trolls. I'm trying to stop that simply because I want new members. Maybe if we let them adapt to the culture here first instead of scaring them off right away, they'd stay.

Ozzaharwood you white knight consistently. I'm not insulting you, I am offering you an outsiders opinion. If you wore shorts I would tell you the same thing.

And it can't be helped if they don't follow through the appropriate channels. First post is a naive thread telling people their problems aren't that bad from a person who seemingly has no real pressing problems to begin with. I mean if a veteran member had made this thread it would have had the same result.

I'm also not asking you to pretend to be nice, I'm asking you to either post something relevant or say nothing at all.

That is just as dishonest.

I think what he meant by that was to keep your problems in the back of your head until you find a suitable solution, and not completely ignore it. I can't say for sure though, because that's just how I interpreted it.

Regardless, you won't find a solution by simply not thinking about the problem. It's pretty much the opposite.

Ibuprofen extra strength 400 mgs. Cheap, effective, and no-prescription. I know this because there is a person in my family who gets severe migraines and these are the only effective medication. Also, I know he said "Anything" but I think in medical circumstances in which you can't do anything yourself are excluded.

You're pulling a fenn here and insulting my intelligence. You have no idea as to the extent of my problems so please stop playing internet md.

Lol. I think it's more of a fear that there is nothing after you die. Because that would suck. (I believe this, I still think it sucks)

Wouldn't nothing be better than working 40 hours just to pay for the gas you need to get to work?

Hayashida
09-16-2011, 12:44 AM
Oz you didn't address my post man what the hell. Also I don't know if you should be arguing about any kind of problems until you have real problems yourself. Once you get a job, once you start paying bills, once you start buying everything you need for yourself, then you can talk about it.

Ozzaharwood
09-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Oz you didn't address my post man what the hell. Also I don't know if you should be arguing about any kind of problems until you have real problems yourself. Once you get a job, once you start paying bills, once you start buying everything you need for yourself, then you can talk about it.

Huh? What post? Do you mean the speech one? 'Cause that was prolly the only one I found funny in this thread. Also you never know, there are some worse problems than making a living and living on your own. Domestic violence and child abuse are just two examples.

Ozzaharwood you white knight consistently. I'm not insulting you, I am offering you an outsiders opinion. If you wore shorts I would tell you the same thing.

Fine. I don't really care anymore, so I'll stop. It doesn't really make a difference anyways because it usually ends up in a debate, like this. I'm just saying, it'd be nice if new members would stay more often than not.

And it can't be helped if they don't follow through the appropriate channels. First post is a naive thread telling people their problems aren't that bad from a person who seemingly has no real pressing problems to begin with. I mean if a veteran member had made this thread it would have had the same result.

I thought the same thing, but when I read what people were writing it pissed me off. If it was in the chatterbox I wouldn't care; we probably should've just moved it there.

That is just as dishonest.

Not really. There are ways to post relevantly, make your point, and stay honest. It just takes longer.

Regardless, you won't find a solution by simply not thinking about the problem. It's pretty much the opposite.

A lot of the time though you will find a solution by thinking of it casually. It you work too hard towards finding a solution it adds more stress. I know what you mean though.

You're pulling a fenn here and insulting my intelligence. You have no idea as to the extent of my problems so please stop playing internet md.

It wasn't my intention to offend you, and if I did I apologize. My mother is a registered nurse though, and specializes in cancer. They usually suggest the 400 mgs for brain tumour migraines. I was just trying to help you rather than offend you, that's also why I said "Also, I know he said "Anything" but I think in medical circumstances in which you can't do anything yourself are excluded." I wouldn't try to make a point and then render it obsolete with my next sentence. You probably have tried everything already, so there is probably nothing I could say that would help so I won't add anything more.

Wouldn't nothing be better than working 40 hours just to pay for the gas you need to get to work?

You could always move or take public transit. But I also don't know your circumstances here, so there really is nothing I can say.

I'm going to sleep now, so if I do post again it'll be tomorrow.

Hayashida
09-16-2011, 01:43 AM
Also you never know, there are some worse problems than making a living and living on your own. Domestic violence and child abuse are just two examples.
Man I know that, I'm just saying you can't really talk about problems if you don't have any yourself because how can you know what to do in a situation like that

jubeh
09-16-2011, 01:51 AM
It doesn't really make a difference anyways because it usually ends up in a debate, like this.

Its a discussion. Ie the whole point of this forum.

I thought the same thing, but when I read what people were writing it pissed me off. If it was in the chatterbox I wouldn't care; we probably should've just moved it there.

Like I said this is now a discussion and belongs here.

Not really. There are ways to post relevantly, make your point, and stay honest. It just takes longer.

How I interpreted what you said was basically saying if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all which we all know is a terrible attitude to actually live by. Not to mention relevance to a topic can be incredibly vague. If you were here before I became the gd mod you would have seen what its like for a mod to lock a thread as soon as it went off topic.

A lot of the time though you will find a solution by thinking of it casually. It you work too hard towards finding a solution it adds more stress.

Um I wish I had problems that I could think about casually but when I can't afford car insurance so I can't get to work in order to pay for said insurance I can't just sit back, chill out, and hope a solution magically appears.

You could always move or take public transit. But I also don't know your circumstances here, so there really is nothing I can say.

Yeah that's not really how it works here. Public transportation is just for schools.

CypressDahlia
09-16-2011, 02:14 AM
There's really no debate here. The first page of posts was undeniably snarky, unnecessary and alienating. As a member of this community, I vote we start keeping some more new members instead of driving pretty much half of them away. Though you may not like "pretending to be nice", common courtesy is nothing new to us. We're all like 20, right? We learned about CC in like what? Grade school? You don't have to be a sugarplum but don't shoot the guy down. I don't "pretend to be nice" to people I don't like on this forum, either. They know who they are and I hate their guts if they try to be chummy with me, too. But that doesn't mean I pursue my dislike of them to the point where I'm just openly a dick about it.

Besides, what is this like MT initiation thread? Are we testing this guy so he can join our "cool dudes gang"? That just makes us look insufferably arrogant as a community.

jubeh
09-16-2011, 02:35 AM
I disagree. There is a lot to talk about here.

And you know that it has nothing to do with him being a new member. Like I said before if a person with 1000 posts had made this thread it would have been no different except that I doubt anybody would have come to the op's defense. Also, aside from outcast's post nobody was shooting him down. It seemed like a pretty fun and innocent thread to me and a perfectly expected response to such a random op. Also the op has been around for a while and I'd wager he's been lurking too, though obviously we won't know until he posts again.

And I dont want to get into my opinions on common courtesy but it should be obvious that if you don't mean it then it is just pretending to be nice. I'll leave it at that or for another thread.

Besides, what is this like MT initiation thread? Are we testing this guy so he can join our "cool dudes gang"? That just makes us look insufferably arrogant as a community.

Yeah you nailed it I made jackets and everything.

Psy
09-16-2011, 02:53 AM
Huh? What post? Do you mean the speech one? 'Cause that was prolly the only one I found funny in this thread. Also you never know, there are some worse problems than making a living and living on your own. Domestic violence and child abuse are just two examples.
Neither domestic violence or child abuse should be ignored and dealt with later.

I possibly have celiac disease/gluten intolerence and ignoring the possibility of either would lead me to more pain and worsening health problems. You can not ignore your problems and either expect a solution to apear or for them to go away because that isint how the world works. Some people are more adept at problem solving and stress mangement than others so it does seem that some people are just care free and or ignore their problems but thats not true. Just because some one doesnt talk about their problems does not meant they have none they more likely just want to deal with them on their own or do not feel the need to tell everyone.

I know people who are so "I dont give a FUCK' about everything and i envy them because they can seperate their problems at work and home so easy and can still smile and go on with life. Then again i dont know for sure how well their lives are really going so for all i know they could be cutting.

CypressDahlia
09-16-2011, 03:00 AM
I disagree. There is a lot to talk about here.

I don't mean there isn't a lot to talk about regarding the subject of the thread. I mean it's undeniable what the intent of the first handful of posts were. They were obviously not meant to be constructive.

Well obviously when a thread is about "life's problems" (ie. everything) there is a lot to talk about.

jubeh
09-16-2011, 03:01 AM
Okay I should have guessed that.

ram
09-16-2011, 03:11 AM
I believe we should treat new members nicely.

it's been a bad habit already by people on the forum, if there's some stuffs that you see in his post tell him (nicely) and don't tell him off making him look stupid.
cause old members and regular members probably wouldn't mind that.
but what do you think about these people? I mean really are you guys even capable of putting your self in some other people shoes?

think about it? your new, you just got in some new place and you accidentally made a mistake and people will tell you your stupid and go away, what would you feel?

It's ok if my mom or some other people I know to tell me I'm stupid but I'll get into a fight if it's someone I don't know

Psy
09-16-2011, 03:21 AM
Threat is trying to intimadate or telling some one you are going to harm them some how.
Treat is how you act with or deal with someone.
I assume you ment treat.

ram
09-16-2011, 03:23 AM
lol. sorry :/

that's what i mean about telling people nicely, great example psy, I'll go edit it now

CypressDahlia
09-16-2011, 03:30 AM
Exactly as ramiel said. In the end, it has everything to do with the fact that he's new. Not to say we should pamper new members but at least give them a shot at acclimating. It was literally his first post.

jubeh
09-16-2011, 03:40 AM
?? I don't think he made a mistake at all.

ram
09-16-2011, 04:18 AM
uh.. didn't you quote most of the stuffs that he said and disagreed with it.

CypressDahlia
09-16-2011, 04:22 AM
It's not that he made a mistake but that we're instantly treating him like a regular, except our "regular" behavior can be a bit ostracizing so it's not a good thing. It's better for him to realize "oh, that's just how they are, I guess I better get used to it" over a few days than us shoving potentially repellant attitudes down his throat and telling him that's how we are, so he better get used to it.

jubeh
09-16-2011, 04:44 AM
uh.. didn't you quote most of the stuffs that he said and disagreed with it.

A mistake would be like posting the thread in the wrong section. The whole point of this forum is to disagree with one another. That's what creates good discussions and keeps the GD from becoming an echo chamber.

It's not that he made a mistake but that we're instantly treating him like a regular, except our "regular" behavior can be a bit ostracizing so it's not a good thing. It's better for him to realize "oh, that's just how they are, I guess I better get used to it" over a few days than us shoving potentially repellant attitudes down his throat and telling him that's how we are, so he better get used to it.

I'm not disagreeing that we have a problem with scaring off new members I just don't think that's the right way to go about things. The welcome wagon exists for this very reason. Without it, I would have never joined MT to begin with. After that its just us. And some of us are nice and some aren't, but even a day of lurking could show you what the water's like.

Ozzaharwood
09-16-2011, 06:54 AM
Its a discussion. Ie the whole point of this forum.

If you didn't notice, it only became one after I said something. Before that it was basically a "Let's make fun of the op by writing stupid comments" thread.

Like I said this is now a discussion and belongs here.

Again, only because I said something. I also said we "should've moved it" not "We still can move it."

Not to mention relevance to a topic can be incredibly vague.

Yeah, but I think we can all agree that that first page and a half of comments was not of relevance and were written either just because they had nothing better to say or because they were making fun of the op. (Excluding maybe two posts)

There's really no debate here. The first page of posts was undeniably snarky, unnecessary and alienating. As a member of this community, I vote we start keeping some more new members instead of driving pretty much half of them away. Though you may not like "pretending to be nice", common courtesy is nothing new to us. We're all like 20, right? We learned about CC in like what? Grade school? You don't have to be a sugarplum but don't shoot the guy down. I don't "pretend to be nice" to people I don't like on this forum, either. They know who they are and I hate their guts if they try to be chummy with me, too. But that doesn't mean I pursue my dislike of them to the point where I'm just openly a dick about it.

This is basically what I was trying to say.

Also, aside from outcast's post nobody was shooting him down.

Alienating and shooting down are two different things.

I'm not disagreeing that we have a problem with scaring off new members I just don't think that's the right way to go about things. The welcome wagon exists for this very reason. Without it, I would have never joined MT to begin with. After that its just us. And some of us are nice and some aren't, but even a day of lurking could show you what the water's like.

That's the thing, though. In the welcome wagon everyone actually is nice. It's not an accurate representation of the rest of the forum. So if we all act super friendly there and then just suddenly alienate them here, that causes them to leave. I've noticed a couple of people do this on purpose as well.

Are you saying that this is the right way to go about things?

CypressDahlia
09-16-2011, 07:26 AM
I agree. Welcome Wagon is deceptively chummy chummy. Common courtesy, in practice, is neither deceptive or repellant, so it's the best policy. You don't have to be friendly to someone but don't go out of your way to mock them. It's a nice midground. Whereas now we have WW where people go out of their way to be nice to you. And then we have GD/CB/etc. where people go out of their way to be un-nice to you as evidenced by the first page of the thread.

Superdooperphailmachine
09-16-2011, 08:26 AM
If you make a shit thread you are going to get mocked. I thought this was common knowledge?

Delphinus
09-16-2011, 08:29 AM
This thread is weird.

Kodos
09-16-2011, 01:06 PM
You rated this thread '1'! Great job, go hog wild!

GunZet
09-16-2011, 01:36 PM
We abused Bya tons (mostly in the GB) and she's still here. We can't be thaaaaat bad.

indescribable
09-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Most newbies aren't like Bya, though.

GunZet
09-16-2011, 02:21 PM
Weaklings. Those greenhorns never stepped into a battlefield before, makes their knees shake.

Kodos
09-16-2011, 02:30 PM
I like to see myself as the Gunnery Sergeant Hartman of these here forums.

Delphinus
09-16-2011, 02:32 PM
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/small/1103/determination-determination-demotivational-demotivational-posters-1300834594.jpg

jubeh
09-16-2011, 02:37 PM
We abused Bya tons (mostly in the GB) and she's still here. We can't be thaaaaat bad.

Your first posts were terrible too I remember getting all up in your face.

If you didn't notice, it only became one after I said something. Before that it was basically a "Let's make fun of the op by writing stupid comments" thread.

If you didn't notice this was a bad thread. Let's just be straight here. I was literally offended by the op.

Again, only because I said something. I also said we "should've moved it" not "We still can move it."

Yeah man great modding is just moving shit around before the thread has even gotten started. Let's just move every bad thread to the chatterbox, regardless of the fact that it goes against everything you and cype are saying here because this thread would have been ten times worse there.

Yeah, but I think we can all agree that that first page and a half of comments was not of relevance and were written either just because they had nothing better to say or because they were making fun of the op. (Excluding maybe two posts)

I saw it as the obvious response to a thread like this. Also it was pretty clear there was no real malice, and we're still assuming that the op has no sense of humor.

Alienating and shooting down are two different things.

This doesn't help your point even a little bit why did you even say it. That was a direct respont to a post made by cpyressdahlia.

That's the thing, though. In the welcome wagon everyone actually is nice. It's not an accurate representation of the rest of the forum. So if we all act super friendly there and then just suddenly alienate them here, that causes them to leave. I've noticed a couple of people do this on purpose as well.

I agree. Welcome Wagon is deceptively chummy chummy. Common courtesy, in practice, is neither deceptive or repellant, so it's the best policy. You don't have to be friendly to someone but don't go out of your way to mock them. It's a nice midground. Whereas now we have WW where people go out of their way to be nice to you. And then we have GD/CB/etc. where people go out of their way to be un-nice to you as evidenced by the first page of the thread.

The welcome wagon works as intended. The only places that are relatively scary for new members are the GD because most of them are young and have never had to back up their opinions before and the CB where anything goes. This is a problem that can be solved by lurking which is true on any forum. If anything, we are relatively tame compared to most places.

What we can do is try to help people understand that our general discussion is actually full of discussions, whereas some people may be used to circle jerk forums where people just agree with them. We can encourage new members to read the rules so when they do something wrong they aren't shot down by an army of backseat mods. We could realize that making a good thread takes practice (WAT) as evidenced by our resident bad thread makers, BB and Fenn. You guys should also start using the report button. I cannot stress that enough.

I think asking everyone to completely change their attitude would last maybe a week, considering this has happened several times before.

Are you saying that this is the right way to go about things?

Wait a second who put all these words in my mouth they taste like chicken

GunZet
09-16-2011, 02:43 PM
You guys ever been on the Skateboard City forums? Don't go there if you can't survive forums. We're small time compared to the shit they deal. Plus there's a neg and posi system that makes it worse on new members.

jubeh
09-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Rep systems are the worst

Kodos
09-16-2011, 03:04 PM
We should do things more like SA. I'd gladly pay 10 dollars to buy amusing avatars for people I dislike.

Also institute Hellbans

A state of forums existence in which a user can still post, but his posts will only be seen by moderators and admins... In addition, the hellbanned poster is NOT made aware of his special status, and can post endlessly.

jubeh
09-16-2011, 03:05 PM
Wat

Hayashida
09-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Man that would just be annoying for us

Kodos
09-16-2011, 03:21 PM
That's why SA stopped doing it. It was murder on the forum software. But it was hilarious.

Superdooperphailmachine
09-16-2011, 03:22 PM
If I was made a mod I could probably solve all these problems.

CypressDahlia
09-16-2011, 03:27 PM
This is a problem that can be solved by lurking which is true on any forum. If anything, we are relatively tame compared to most places.

This is an implicit law of forums, not something written on a sticky somewhere. Whereas the rules -- and I apologize for doing this -- explicitly state no trolling, flaming, spamming outside of the proper areas and no backseat modding. So why should a newbie violating an implicit rule excuse veteran members for violating explicit ones? It's not like he was expected to know/do that in the first place considering it's not actually a rule. Likewise, "don't make 'bad' threads" is another implicit rule, so why should that be punished with flagrant violations of explicit ones? It doesn't make sense to me. A lot of veteran members get away with actual rule-breaking (even me, from time to time), but then we rub it in the new guy's face for not grasping the more subtle nuances of forum usage. Surely there's no excuse for a person who's been here a month plus to be making bad threads (>=/ Fenn), but it was literally the guy's first post. We tend to drive new members away within their first 20 posts. That's hardly enough time to "get it".

What we can do is try to help people understand that our general discussion is actually full of discussions...

No arguing that. You can disagree with the guy, sure, I have no problem with that. That's expected. But a lot of our repellant behavior is neither constructive nor contributes anything to discussion. We agreed on this, right?

Superdooperphailmachine
09-16-2011, 03:44 PM
If I was a moderator I would probably give Fenn a 3 day ban every time he made a thread.

jubeh
09-16-2011, 03:48 PM
This is an implicit law of forums, not something written on a sticky somewhere. Whereas the rules -- and I apologize for doing this -- explicitly state no trolling, flaming, spamming outside of the proper areas and no backseat modding. So why should a newbie violating an implicit rule excuse veteran members for violating explicit ones? It's not like he was expected to know/do that in the first place considering it's not actually a rule. Likewise, "don't make 'bad' threads" is another implicit rule, so why should that be punished with flagrant violations of explicit ones? It doesn't make sense to me. A lot of veteran members get away with actual rule-breaking (even me, from time to time), but then we rub it in the new guy's face for not grasping the more subtle nuances of forum usage. Surely there's no excuse for a person who's been here a month plus to be making bad threads (>=/ Fenn), but it was literally the guy's first post.

On lurking - You're implying that the op is being punished some how. He's not? And aside from minor spamming, nobody was breaking any rules here.

On bad threads - You make them, you get a bad response -- and then you make more and get better at it. Lesson learned. Backseat modding is what I hate the most so if people get onto dudes for that sort of thing they should be reported because I'm not omnipotent like most people assume. Once again nobody was being punished.

We tend to drive new members away within their first 20 posts. That's hardly enough time to "get it".

I'm not even sure if this is true

No arguing that. You can disagree with the guy, sure, I have no problem with that. That's expected. But a lot of our repellant behavior is neither constructive nor contributes anything to discussion. We agreed on this, right?

Yes I wasn't talking about this thread specifically, just one of the main reasons people get "scared off" from this place.

ClockHand
09-16-2011, 03:52 PM
If I was a moderator I would probably give Fenn a 3 day ban every time he made a thread.

You have my vote.

Kodos
09-16-2011, 04:05 PM
If I was moderator I'd ban the people I disliked and rule the forums with an iron fist in a reign of terror not unlike the latter days of the French Revolution.

jubeh
09-16-2011, 04:07 PM
Okay stop posting in this thread you guys are just being retarded

CypressDahlia
09-16-2011, 04:08 PM
On lurking - You're implying that the op is being punished some how. He's not?

Maybe punish is a strong word for it but we are reprimanding him in our own way for not "knowing better". What I'm saying is expecting him to "know better" is unreasonable in ways. And it's particularly hypocritical to respond to violations of implicit rules in ways which violate explicit ones.

On bad threads - You make them, you get a bad response -- and then you make more and get better at it.

Yeah, but what's to motivate a new member to stay and continue the learning process of he gets reamed for his first mistake?

jubeh
09-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Maybe punish is a strong word for it but we are reprimanding him in our own way for not "knowing better". What I'm saying is expecting him to "know better" is unreasonable in ways. And it's particularly hypocritical to respond to violations of implicit rules in ways which violate explicit ones.

I don't disagree but I feel its better that this sort of thing happen here where its mostly innocent as opposed to a real forum.

Yeah, but what's to motivate a new member to stay and continue the learning process of he gets reamed for his first mistake?

Idk why post in the first place. We all just want to talk about stuff.

Fenn
09-17-2011, 07:49 PM
:cat_cryincorner:

Gedeon
09-17-2011, 08:29 PM
:cat_ohoho:^daw!

Outcast
09-17-2011, 08:36 PM
What the fuck? I didn't understand what he was saying and stated that. Is that considered being an asshole now?

CypressDahlia
09-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Clearly you have not heard of tact if that is how you normally ask questions.

Outcast
09-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Of what?

toast
09-18-2011, 01:43 AM
lol, am I the only one that thought "zeez" sounds funny for a username?

like, zeezus christ

GunZet
09-18-2011, 02:24 AM
Zeezus, Toast....why did you have to bring that up.