PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good tips and tutorials, plus some encouragement!

Leannah
09-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Hey guys,

I'm a humble beginner when it comes to drawing. I gave up on this beautiful art about 8 years ago after my grandmother savagely criticized my cute sketches.
I was young at the time, so that's probably why I reacted the way I did.
My father kind of encouraged me to pick up drawing again, "but maybe not manga."

Following this incident, I don't feel comfortable to draw my own characters anymore, or to draw manga. However, I did find a bunch of nice tutorials which teach beginners how to draw cartoon-ish animals and monsters.

Here are my questions:
Do you know any website that would be helpful to kids who like drawing? I need very clear step-by-step guides.

Are there any websites which teach people how to draw chibis? Mine always look creepy! I think that chibis would be a nice way to start drawing manga again.

How can I get over this whole thing as an artist?
I don't really talk to my grandmother anymore, and I'm extremely self-conscious when it comes to showing my drawings to other people.
I still live with my parents, and I basically gave up on concealing stuff from them because they're respectful, and also because I'd rather be honest and tell them that I want to draw.

This may seem ridiculous but I'm extremely sensitive, and I need to find a way to get my confidence up again.

Thanks!

ClockHand
09-05-2011, 05:55 PM
I heard about a site named Mangatutorials, I don't know if you are familiar with it.

If you don't show your work, your improvement is going to be little or almost none, big part of being an artist is knowing to deal with critics.

Leannah
09-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Manga Tutorials is fine, but I need easier tutorials to start with. I already have a few websites that I like, but not all of the tutorials are worth using. I can draw nice-looking circles, but that's pretty much it.

I know from experience that it's possible to improve just by drawing. I did have a scanner when I was still a young teen, but I had trouble improving my work just by reading comments.
That being said, I'll soon be able to hook up a scanner to my computers. I promise you that I'll post all of the drawings which I think I need help with.
I'm fine with receiving critics on the internet. What I'm not fine with is having to
accept criticism that comes from someone which wasn't allowed to see my drawings and who doesn't know anything about manga.

If I hadn't been that young (I think I was about 12, 13 tops) I would probably have taken this whole thing a LOT better.
Moreover, I'm torn between trying to be a good artist and trying to have fun.
I'm not saying that you can't be good AND have fun, but it's just that little bit harder.

ram
09-05-2011, 06:17 PM
I heard about a site named Mangatutorials, I don't know if you are familiar with it.

be serious with this girl clock, she's asking for help.

anyway leannah, you could try drawing books.
try downloading "how to draw anime and game character"
or how to draw manga vol 1-?

as for chibi, you could try manga mania chib (http://www.amazon.com/Manga-Mania-Characters-Mini-characters-Cat-girls/dp/0823029778)

ClockHand
09-05-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm being zeriouz.

I prefer you start with human anatomy rather than anime anatomy or tutorials to learn how to draw like someone else. It gave you a better sense of dimensions, anatomy and how to handle the developing of your own style (also because I find most anime draws a step back on drawing skills).

Leannah
09-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Thank you very much Ramiel. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me. Don't worry, I won't listen to distracting comments :)
I just downloaded the book you suggested. I'll try to find the other one too.
I personally like the anatomy of characters in manga. To each his own. I'll learn with books to draw manga.

ram
09-05-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm being zeriouz.

I prefer you start with human anatomy rather than anime anatomy or tutorials to learn how to draw like someone else. It gave you a better sense of dimensions, anatomy and how to handle the developing of your own style (also because I find most anime draws a step back on drawing skills).
yeah i guess your right about that.
it's better to know more about bone structure and muscles.
but it's the hard part though. but if you think she can handle it, then i guess all is good.
i just suggested stuffs for her to think 3d.

Leannah
09-05-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm too much of a beginner to delve right into anatomy and complicated stuff.
As long as I keep drawing cartoon characters like animals, I don't need to study human anatomy.
I'll practice drawing some guidelines to get the proportions right. I already use guidelines anyway.

ram
09-05-2011, 07:09 PM
uh no, eventually you need to study anatomy, even if your just drawing some anime style, (don't really know about cartoon though.)
but you don't have to force your self into what you think your not gonna enjoy for now.. but just remember that eventually you should remember to go back into studying anatomy.

before jumping to human body i suggest you study drawing objects.. although i'm pretty sure that it's all in the book that i recommended.

Leannah
09-05-2011, 07:31 PM
I'll listen to you, especially since I have trouble positioning the eyes. I just drew two animals which turned out horrible so I had to erase both drawings. I tried to make them look better but failed. It's okay because I know what I should work on now, thanks!

ClockHand
09-05-2011, 08:12 PM
yeah i guess your right about that.
it's better to know more about bone structure and muscles.
but it's the hard part though. but if you think she can handle it, then i guess all is good.
i just suggested stuffs for her to think 3d.

As a beginner she really need to start with anatomy. It's harder, but also it let you go further, specially if you start with it.

Leannah
09-05-2011, 08:44 PM
The book ramiel suggested contains little exercises to practice drawing in 3D, so I've been drawing cubes and stuff.
I actually have the paper version of this book, but I don't know where I put it. It's been 10 years.
Actually, the tutorials I used tonight were less detailed. The girl who made the tutorials didn't explain how to draw the guidelines clearly enough, so I ended up with two drawings that looked nothing like animals.
I don't know if I'll even manage to draw a nice-looking face because I forgot the basics, but I guess studying anatomy is okay. If someone could suggest another book on anatomy I'd be really grateful, cause I think I really need to get that part down before I do something else.

ram
09-05-2011, 09:25 PM
As a beginner she really need to start with anatomy. It's harder, but also it let you go further, specially if you start with it.

^agreed. although it's not a bad thing for one to start with 3d. after all you can't take out 3d from anatomy cause visualizing stuffs in 3d is part of studying anatomy.

The book ramiel suggested contains little exercises to practice drawing in 3D, so I've been drawing cubes and stuff.
I actually have the paper version of this book, but I don't know where I put it. It's been 10 years.
Actually, the tutorials I used tonight were less detailed. The girl who made the tutorials didn't explain how to draw the guidelines clearly enough, so I ended up with two drawings that looked nothing like animals.
I don't know if I'll even manage to draw a nice-looking face because I forgot the basics, but I guess studying anatomy is okay. If someone could suggest another book on anatomy I'd be really grateful, cause I think I really need to get that part down before I do something else.

for me, i studied anatomy in the massive online drawing tutorial list.
although there too much nudity >_>
so i don't really know. and i don't know any books about anatomy which doesn't picture nudity.. and i don't know how old you are

ClockHand
09-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Depth is something she needs to learn as well. Again, anatomy (real anatomy) should be always a priority with Depth (3D) and Perspectives. I believe you need to go first in those than in anime draw, because most tutorials are basically guides to learn how to draw like someone else, and is not the same drawing like someone else that knowing how to draw by yourself.

Also, I have never like the use of Tutorial's, if they are not to learn something technical from a software or something like that, I really dislike them, they kill big part of the learning and they guide you to much in how the author do things and less in what "how you need to think when you do something".

trilokcool3
09-05-2011, 09:41 PM
ok listen WHAT GUYS ARE SAYING ARE NICE THINGS....yes if you do so you will take bigger steps
now if you wanna go SLOW draw some fanarts collect your own data like proportions , ratios many things thats look good to your eyes .
Then when in trouble understanding WE ALL ARE HERE TO HELP YOU.
so FILL FREE WHILE DRAWING DO WHATEVER YOU CAN DO THEN ANALYZE WHATS WRONG.
train your mind,visualization(ability to think,deciding ratios proportions blah blah).

Leannah
09-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks a lot for the answer. I think I'll keep copying drawings first, but very easy ones. Anyway, tomorrow I have to go back to college so I can't really draw right now. I'll try to draw something tonight. Ramiel nudity is okay with me, I'm 21. I know that some of the books/ tutorials are a bit sexy but that's fine. As a girl, I can take it ;)
I'd be very happy if you sent me a list of the websites you used to get better, because I think you draw very well.
I'm very grateful for all the advice I've gotten here so far. I'll try to listen to all of you and fit drawing into my busy schedule.
I don't have a scanner yet and I need to install stuff on my new computer which is not the one I'm using right now, but I'll try to post some little drawings as soon as possible.

ram
09-07-2011, 05:23 PM
um.. i don't know, the books that i got isn't translated to english..
and i'm too shy to show it or say it anyone else. :cat_secret:
but i think massive online drawing tutorial list is enough (http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/showthread.php?84-Massive-Online-Drawing-Tutorials-List-v.3.0)
there's no right or wrong way to learn, it's just for you if you find what your studying is interesting.

actually a lot of people here are better than me even though they haven't gone through any drawing books.

Leannah
09-07-2011, 06:11 PM
I already had a look at the list and it's pretty good. By the way don't be shy if you want to send me a message with the links to the books or the title I'd really appreciate it. Because now I want to know the titles :p

ram
09-07-2011, 06:43 PM
uh, ok then,
i added you as a friend, it seems i can't send a message on your profile for some reason.

Leannah
09-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Wow that's weird, I haven't blocked you or anything >.< I'll try to do something about it!

ram
09-07-2011, 08:06 PM
just approve my friend request

Leannah
09-07-2011, 08:26 PM
I didn't get it >.< Can you send it again please? :)

ram
09-07-2011, 09:01 PM
for easier way, just invite me as a friend, and i'll accept it right away

Leannah
09-07-2011, 09:26 PM
I think I sent you an invite. :)

ram
09-07-2011, 09:35 PM
are you sure?
cause i haven't receive anything at all.. try manipulating your settings. maybe there's the problem

go to dashboard>my friends,
then there's a selection on the right side of the page.

* All Friends
* Top Friends
* Online Friends
* Pending Requests
* Birthday E-Cards
* Friends Requests

click friends requests, then you'll probably see me there.
your actually on my pending request list.

Leannah
09-08-2011, 08:50 AM
I accepted your friend request. :)

Hamachi
09-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Ah-hah, someone slightly older than me!
*Jumps with excitement*

Anyways Leannah, your best bet is ordering a good art book with art exercises and lessons. You're in college so I figure that's going to be easy for you to acquire. Most of those won't cost you more than $15 and I promise you, they'll do you a world more good than online tutorials. Frankly those are a waste of time and effort trying to find good ones.

Get a good sketchbook and a decent range of pencils (something-B, something-H and a few ranges in between), maybe some charcoal and a grease pencil, and get to work on those lessons! Make sure you draw constantly and you're well on your way.

ram
09-08-2011, 09:31 AM
i already sent you a message.

and if you ask for artbooks and drawing books, this twin doggies right here ^ is actually the expert in drawing books, i don't really know how many he has but he definitely read 10x as many as i read.

I wanted to ask him for advice of what drawing books i need but i can't buy it cause i'm broke XD.
but really you can trust us animals.

Leannah
09-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks a lot for the messages. :)
What books do you recommend Hamachi? I'd like to start studying an easy one because right now I suck badly at anatomy.
I'm broke because I just bought a computer, so I don't think I'll be able to buy new pencils and a sketchbook just yet. I use a college notebook to draw because it's got nice squared lines which help me with proportions.
I know I should use regular paper or a sketchbook but I'm mostly practicing right now, so it doesn't really matter.
Thank you so much for the link, ramiel! :)

Hamachi
09-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Eyeww... lined paper is even worse than A4 paper since it keeps virtually no graphite whatsoever... if you're on a really tight budget at least use A4 for your doodles.

The #1 art book I'd recommend is Keys to Drawing (http://www.amazon.com/Keys-Drawing-Bert-Dodson/dp/0891343377) by Bert Dodson since it includes lots of exercises you can work on.

Being bad at anatomy suggests you need to brush up on some basic art skills, which the above book covers. But if you really do want to go into anatomy I suggest buying a Bridgman's (http://www.amazon.com/Bridgmans-Complete-Guide-Drawing-Life/dp/0806930152/) since (1) lots of amazing contemporary artists swear by it and (2) it's insanely cheap compared to other figure drawing books.

You should also realize that a lot of drawing books worth hundreds of dollars are available (illegally) on the internet if you use a b0tt0rr0nt client and t0rr0nt files. But as a loyal citizen of whatever country you're in, I assume you'll have no dealings with that kind of stuff, right? ;)

Anyways, at the point where you are right now I would actually discourage focusing on manga. I mean, go ahead and draw it for fun if you like, but if you want to get good it's best to start with something more tangibly 3-dimensional. With all this in mind, I think the most important thing is never to assume you've got the hang of anything. Take a good look at an exercise you've done. If it even remotely differs from the example, practice more!

Leannah
09-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Wow, thanks a lot for the advice Hamachi. I asked Rio to have my account deleted so I won't be around anymore, but I'll definitely follow your advice. :)
I really appreciate your taking the time to give me such valuable advice. I'll try to buy some of the books you suggested.
I'm going to the supermarket to buy some pencils this afternoon, but only if they're really cheap. If I have some money left, I'll buy some blank A4 paper, I promise.

Right now, I'm not really focusing on manga anyway. I mostly draw little doodles and I try to do some exercises every day such as drawing shapes.

I don't mind doing things over and over again. :)
I'll practice every day—I always assume that what I've done could be better, because it's the truth.
I'm not a professional. :)