PDA

View Full Version : Dark Souls

Pages : [1] 2

Hayashida
09-03-2011, 02:17 PM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o219/Dokken_2112/DARK-SOULS_logo_fix_White.png

So Dark Souls is coming out really soon now, October 4th in North America to be exact. For those who don't know, it's essentially the sequel to Demon's Souls and is going to be as, if not more difficult than Demon's Souls.

From Wikipedia:

Dark Souls (ダークソウル Dāku Souru?) is an upcoming video game being developed by From Software, who will also publish the game domestically as an exclusive title for the PlayStation 3. The game will be published on both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 by Namco Bandai Games. It was previously developed under the codename Project Dark and is the spiritual successor to Demon's Souls. Dark Souls will be released in Japan, for the PlayStation 3 , on September 22, 2011, and for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, on October 4 in North America and on October 7 in Europe of the same year.

Gameplay

The game will focus on dungeon exploring and the tension and fear that arise when players encounter enemies in this setting. The game is a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls (which in turn is considered a spiritual successor to the King's Field games). Dark Souls will take place in an open world environment. The player will battle using various weapons and strategies to survive in a dark fantasy world. Online features will allow players to share the play experience without need for direct communication.
There will be more weapons, spells, and new classes. It is also said to be 'significantly harder', with more enemies and more difficult encounters. It will include leaving messages to other players, seeing others' deaths, and player versus player (as well as a new co-op system).

So thankfully it's going to have a proper co-op system which should help make the game a bit easier. What I was wondering is who's gonna get this game, and if they want to organize some kind of co-op thing. I think if it's gonna be like DS, we will get to have at least 3 people to help.

So anyway I'm gonna get this for the PS3.

Lucy
09-03-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm so psyched for this. I love this kind of game and I've heard some amazing things about Demons Souls but I have an Xbox 360 and not a PS3 so this is the first chance I get to experience the series.

Hayashida
09-03-2011, 02:36 PM
I may get it for both systems, I dunno.

CypressDahlia
09-03-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm going go around pronouncing it "Daku Souru" since the Japanese insist on naming things in Engrish.

Hayashida
09-03-2011, 07:29 PM
How is Dark Souls engrish?

And anyway, I pre ordered it for ps3 today

CypressDahlia
09-03-2011, 08:40 PM
(ダークソウル Dāku Souru?)

So people walk around in Japan literally saying this.

ClockHand
09-03-2011, 09:51 PM
metaweeabos?

wolfman
09-04-2011, 07:09 AM
im going to get this for the 360

ClockHand
09-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Should I have it?

I like that is a hard game and I really want to feel frustrated in a game, also I like the esthetic's and all that, but there are things that bug me a little.

Is the game just dungeons? like as I have seen it the map is very hallway/hall type, which I believe it force you a lot in how you can approach the enemies. Also most of the gameplay I have seen, everyone play it in a very same way (shield + sword), but there are other ways? like 2 swords, bow or something? or the game force you to play the same way?

Also, there is a way to not allow invasions? like I would hate being fighting against monster and being killed by a douchebag.

Tell me everything is good about the game, because I have seen gameplays and it look kinda retro (the interface remains me to old rpg games) with some good stuffs, but also, I saw a lot of hallways and make it look like a big and pretty arcade game with rpg elements.

Hayashida
09-30-2011, 10:36 PM
I can't say for sure how Dark Souls is going to be, but its predecessor had a few different environments. There was a big castle called Boletarian Palace, a mountain being mined called Stonefang Tunnel, the Tower of Latria which was a prison, an island of ruins called the Shrine of Storms, and this sort of stagnant, decaying swamp area called the Valley of Defilement. A lot of the areas were straight tunnels, but there were quite a few generally open areas as well.
As for the weapons, in Demon's Souls, you could use shields, swords, spears, axes, bows and crossbows, as well as things like clubs or even just your character's fists. If you wanted to use magic, you had to equip something such as a wand or a catalyst in one of your hands. You could equip any weapon into either hand, so yeah, you can use two swords, an axe and a sword, a sword and a wand, etc at once. Some weapons though were too big to use with one hand, so you needed both your hands to use it properly.

You can play offline by just not connecting your system to the internet, but you'd miss out on player hints and stuff. Early on in the game you don't get invaded that much and the people are generally pretty easy to defeat, but if you play with other people it becomes really easy to defeat any invading people.

And like I said before, I don't know what's going to be good and bad with Dark Souls, but from gameplay videos I've seen, it looks a lot like Demon's Souls, so based on that, the good points of the game are:
It's not a game that will hold your hand as you play it, and you're not guaranteed to finish the game such as Call of Duty. The game will be hard and if you die there will be repercussions. This is one of those games where if you don't work at it, you're not going to get better. However because of this, when you finish something, it's a really satisfying feeling. Basically, the game is very hard, but it's not unfair. You'll eventually get better and be able to hold your own against enemies you would always lose to before because the game trains you to be better, essentially.
Another good thing about the game is that everything, your armour, weapons and especially enemies in the game all look really friggin cool. And all the different enemies are based on different models. i.e. most aren't just reskinned versions of other enemies, so that leads to really interesting gameplay.

I don't know if I can describe it well, but despite the game being hard, it was one of my favourite games I've ever played. I haven't had as much fun playing a game for the longest time. Probably since I first started playing games, actually. Anyway, pretty much anyone you'll talk to who's played the game can tell you how good it is and how much fun they've had playing it. People who say it's bad or too hard probably didn't make it past the first level because they're used to playing really easy video games where you can change the difficulty to a lower setting if the already easy settings are too hard.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, there's no difficulty setting. Also, there's no pause button. And everything you do is permanent, so if you kill an NPC, they're gone for good. At least until you beat the game and start a NG+. So yeah, if you're gonna get the game, don't kill the dude that makes weapons and shit for you.

ClockHand
09-30-2011, 10:48 PM
I believe I will enjoy it a lot just because of the difficulty, it's something I always love on video games. But I have seen fights where the game really becomes a bully, ex: in a fight a enemy hit you with his spear, which goes through a pillar, and if you try to do the same, your spear clash against the pillar.

But as I see it, and as I see it's predecessor, it's a risky game, because the whole focus on it, is the combat. And I don't want to play it and feel the need to evaluate the story (like if there would be a point where the combat might bore me and I will be analyzing other things that are not the strong on the game).

Evil_Cake
09-30-2011, 10:51 PM
i might get this just because ive wanted a new game for months

ClockHand
09-30-2011, 10:54 PM
why/how are you so brave?

Hayashida
09-30-2011, 11:12 PM
It's gotta be said, Demon's Souls didn't have much of a story.
Sometimes though, in rare occasions, it can be a good thing, and Demon's Souls was a great example of that.

ClockHand
09-30-2011, 11:15 PM
I will trust you man. Everyone says Demon's Souls was awesome and Dark Souls looks awesome, so I guess I should take the leap and try it (after buying FFXIII and Oblivion I haven't being the same person when it's about buying a video game -.-)

Hayashida
09-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Dark Souls will revive your trust in these types of games
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/93LFz_j5fQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Evil_Cake
09-30-2011, 11:42 PM
do u get anything for preorder

Hayashida
09-30-2011, 11:52 PM
I heard somewhere that if you preordered there was a free upgrade to the special edition, whatever they called it. But that was one of those "while supplies last" deals, so it was probably all gone within a few weeks.

jubeh
09-30-2011, 11:59 PM
At best buy all of ours were special editions. You don't need to pre-order, you just most likely have to get a copy from the first run.

Also yeah demons souls story was almost non-existent but it made up for it in atmosphere and ambiance.

Hayashida
10-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Shit you guys its out today. I'm getting my copy as soon as the store opens

ClockHand
10-04-2011, 12:45 AM
I can't )=

After my last post in this thread (not this one) all the pre-sell were finished, so there are no more copies of the game in this shit hole of a country.

jubeh
10-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Best buy oversold too actually so its not just shitty chile

Hayashida
10-04-2011, 10:28 AM
So apparently when I preordered the game I was supposed to say that I wanted the free upgrade to the collectors edition or whatever because they're like yeah just says you got the normal one. So I got the normal one, which is no big deal, but I was like maaaan you know. Anyway, about to give this game a go.

jubeh
10-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Game get

Evil_Cake
10-04-2011, 01:28 PM
so has you guys play it yet?

jubeh
10-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Yeah

Evil_Cake
10-04-2011, 02:07 PM
okay

Hayashida
10-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Can't get past those stupid ghost things with the scythe arms...

jubeh
10-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Im not even there yet, I finally beat that taurus demon and then lost 8000 souls at that fucking dragon

Hayashida
10-04-2011, 03:12 PM
what dude you must be ahead of me. I'm at that place that's just after the tutorial. Like there's those super strong skeletons and stuff

Lucy
10-04-2011, 03:12 PM
So apparently when I preordered the game I was supposed to say that I wanted the free upgrade to the collectors edition or whatever because they're like yeah just says you got the normal one. So I got the normal one, which is no big deal, but I was like maaaan you know. Anyway, about to give this game a go.

Apparently shops that oversold their collector's editions didn't get shipped any, so that everyone that pre-ordered would get the same version.
Guys it doesn't come out until friday here and I am so hyped please tell me this game is as magical as it should be

Hayashida
10-04-2011, 03:13 PM
I've only played a little bit but it's just about the greatest thing

jubeh
10-04-2011, 03:21 PM
what dude you must be ahead of me. I'm at that place that's just after the tutorial. Like there's those super strong skeletons and stuff

Oic I dont remember scythe arms

Edit; This game is kicking my fucking ass oh god.

ClockHand
10-04-2011, 04:18 PM
It come out at monday in here, and no store has the game (all the stores oversold it).

Hayashida
10-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Oic I dont remember scythe arms

Edit; This game is kicking my fucking ass oh god.
Yeah I was going in the wrong direction. I was going through the New Londo Ruins towards the abyss. I'm going the right way now and I'm trying to fight the taurus demon but it keeps destroying me. I have like 1 firebomb and 1 or 2 health pots by the time I get to him. I can usually get him down to about half health by jumping on him and stabbing him from where those skeletons are shooting down from, but he usually just knocks me off the edge or 1 shots me after that

jubeh
10-04-2011, 10:55 PM
I did the plunge attack and he somehow got stuck on the stairs so I just wore him down like that. I got p lucky but he didnt even drop anything.

Hayashida
10-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Yeah I managed to kill him by doing the plunge attack three times. And yeah, you just get 1k souls or something. Also I managed to kill the mecha boar by just stabbing its anus for like 20 minutes

ClockHand
10-04-2011, 11:44 PM
I managed to kill the mecha boar by just stabbing its anus for like 20 minutes

JAJAJA

jubeh
10-04-2011, 11:45 PM
I ran past mecha boar. Do you get anything for killing him

Hayashida
10-04-2011, 11:49 PM
um I think like 1000 souls or something.

jubeh
10-05-2011, 03:40 PM
John I got the drake sword is has 200 attack power

ClockHand
10-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Maaaaaan the game is not here yet and I already know how to kill most of the bosses -.-

Hayashida
10-05-2011, 04:19 PM
John I got the drake sword is has 200 attack power

Where'd you get it?

Also, apparently you can get things for doing things to certain bosses and stuff, like if you break off something on the mecha boar you can get a boar helmet or something. But I guess it's too late for me since I killed it already.

jubeh
10-05-2011, 11:57 PM
You have to shoot the tail of the dragon to get the drake sword. Also another mecha boar shows up eventually. And when you fight the bell golems you can cut off their tails to get an axe.

Edit: I rung the first bell of awakening!

Hayashida
10-06-2011, 01:26 AM
grats dude. Also I got the drake sword. I'm working on killing the dragon now for 10k souls which I'll use to level up

jubeh
10-06-2011, 01:29 AM
Man I tried to kill him but it was taking too long. How are you going about it

Hayashida
10-06-2011, 01:31 AM
bow and arrow. this is how I did it in demons souls and it would take like an hour. just getting him gone for good and not having to worry about him frying you is worth it alone though

jubeh
10-06-2011, 01:52 AM
Ic tell me how it goes. I just killed the goat demon and I even managed to get the axe tail from the gargoyles but its not that great.

Hayashida
10-06-2011, 01:57 AM
man okay it looks like its health bar has just frozen in place. I've gone through about 200 arrows right now and its not even half dead

jubeh
10-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Okay apparently the dragon just heals and the only way to kill him is to glitch him out. That's what I've heard anyway.

Also I'm a gravelord but its not all that great.

Lucy
10-06-2011, 06:38 PM
This game isn't even supposed to be out here til tomorrow but a guy in the game store is a family friend and well hello the Dark Souls. I am so happy right now. This game is so magical. I've just mashed the Taurus Demon as a knight and I'm having so much fun but now I need to sleep BUT I WANT TO PLAY MORE.

Hayashida
10-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Okay apparently the dragon just heals and the only way to kill him is to glitch him out. That's what I've heard anyway.

Also I'm a gravelord but its not all that great.
Yeah I heard that you need to shoot it in the back from the tower near where those three rats are. There's that huge gold knight up there though, but if you kill him he's gone for good. If you can get some good hits in with the drake sword, he's easy pickings actually. But every time I go up there, the dragon's gone. Even if it's there when I'm at the bridge, when I climb the tower, he's gone. So I dunno what to do.

Also I think they need to patch the summoning thing, because I couldn't even summon my friend, nor he me when we tried the other day. So it's definitely got nothing to do with how close you live since he lives about a 20 minute walk away.

edit: Lucy, what's your PSN ID?
edit2: Er- wait. You got it for Xbox 360, didn't you?

jubeh
10-06-2011, 11:04 PM
I killed that black knight and he dropped a sword that's pba. I just dont see how you can shoot the dragon cuz he's not there when I go up.

Anyway as for the summoning, whenever you log into the game you join a "lobby" and can only connect to other players within said lobby, which is a tiny fraction of the community. Therefore, connecting with friends will be practically impossible, and so will organized pvp.

Hayashida
10-06-2011, 11:20 PM
man that's lame. they should fix that

jubeh
10-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Oi john chan you should go back to the undead asylum. You can get some cool stuff and if you kill the stray demon you get 20k souls.

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 12:18 AM
how do you get back there?

ClockHand
10-07-2011, 12:18 AM
What if you send a invitation through xbox live?

jubeh
10-07-2011, 12:53 AM
how do you get back there?

Look up stray demon on youtube

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 01:38 AM
okay. Ugh dude, I can't beat those Bell Gargoyles. As soon as the second one comes, the first gets me up close and the other gets me far away with the fire, so I die no matter what I do.

jubeh
10-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Turn into a human and summon Soltaire to help you. He'll agro the gargoyles and you can focus on cutting off the tail for the first one. After that they go down really fast.

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 01:44 AM
Oh yeah I forgot that I had to be human to summon him. I was looking around for it and was thinking "wtf did I do something wrong I dont see his sign". So anyway, yeah, I'll do that later since I'm too tense about it right now. Thanks for the info.

jubeh
10-07-2011, 01:54 AM
When I played there was also another human dude to summon so it was like super easy and the fight went by in a flash. Now I have to kill this vagina dragon

ClockHand
10-07-2011, 01:55 AM
pierce it with arrows. It might gonna like it.

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 02:08 AM
When I played there was also another human dude to summon so it was like super easy and the fight went by in a flash. Now I have to kill this vagina dragon

is that that spiky dragon thing? I think there's some kind of weapon or something you can get from it.

jubeh
10-07-2011, 02:10 AM
Yeah if you take its tail but its tail swipe move one shots me right now

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 03:11 AM
Okay yeah, it was way easier summoning that guy. Also I got the axe as well as a shield from it.

jubeh
10-07-2011, 03:40 AM
Cool I didnt get the shield. I beat vagina dragon but I wasn't able to break his tail.

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 04:31 AM
nice dude. I just got the short cut to the capra demon opened so im gonna fight it. also I figured out how to get to the northern undead asylum but those weirdos with the firesticks kicked the shit outta me.

Lucy
10-07-2011, 04:58 AM
edit: Lucy, what's your PSN ID?
edit2: Er- wait. You got it for Xbox 360, didn't you?
Xbox 360 because I am a small child who screams at people over a microphone when I get killed. Tag is Nyantrap.

edit: so I'm fighting these gargoyles now, after wandering into this garden place because I was silly and didn't know where to go. I chopped off their tails and I'm using one as an axe because YES

jubeh
10-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Blight town is seriously the worst. It kills my framerate and the camera angles are awful.

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 02:28 PM
yeah that framerate thing sucks balls dude

jubeh
10-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Im at the chaos queen but her aoe attack kills me even with my shield up. Going to be a pain in the ass. ):

I did get the butchers knife tho.

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Man you're way ahead of me now. What level are you?

Lucy
10-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Blight town is seriously the worst. It kills my framerate and the camera angles are awful.
What console? If your framerate is dying on PS3, then god help the 360 community.

So I killed those gargoyles and rang that bell good. Just got the drake sword and now I'm damning all those souls I spent upgrading a longsword to +4 before I knew it existed, ffff

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Later on in the game those souls will be like nothing when you need tens of thousands of souls just to go up one level

jubeh
10-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Yeah Im on ps3.

Beat queelag by turning human and bringing some dudes in. One of them was a wizard and just shot magic missiles while I aggro'd the boss.

Edit: Jesus christ sen's fortress is like an odnd map or something. Traps all over the goddamn place. I mean it borders on hilarious.

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Dude have you seen that eastern armour. You can get it in Dark Root Forest somewhere, I'm gonna look for it later. I'll let you know where it is if I find it.

jubeh
10-07-2011, 04:07 PM
I haven't but I have a ninja suit. Also I accidentally attacked the fat knight and Idk how much I have to pay to make him cool again.

ClockHand
10-07-2011, 04:37 PM
I hate to die and lost the humanity -.-

jubeh
10-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Got the eastern armor. Its too heavy for me to consider using but it looks rad as hell.

ClockHand
10-07-2011, 05:20 PM
So there is a enormous black knight in one part (before the taurus zombie), and is pretty hard (more than the taurus zombies). Should I try to kill it?

jubeh
10-07-2011, 05:33 PM
If you have the residence key or master key, if you can open that door right before where he shows up you can get some resin that gives your sword lightning properties. Assuming you have a strong sword like the drake sword, you can apply that, back stab him, and fight him. He will one shot you tho so you can't really get it.

ClockHand
10-07-2011, 05:39 PM
I deal like 6 damage against him. Still I'm going to try it until he die.

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Got the eastern armor. Its too heavy for me to consider using but it looks rad as hell.

can you get to it without having to fight the moonlight butterfly or whatever its called

jubeh
10-07-2011, 06:16 PM
can you get to it without having to fight the moonlight butterfly or whatever its called

You have to pay 20k to andrei and get that seal thing to open that one door.

ClockHand
10-07-2011, 11:23 PM
I need help, I hit a NPC (I though it was a zombie) and now no one want to talk with me. What should I do?

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 11:30 PM
You have to pay 20k to andrei and get that seal thing to open that one door.

Ah man I'm gonna need to do some grinding then.

@Clock: That sucks hardcore dude, if you're not that far in the game you might want to just start over, because he wont talk to you until you start a new game +.

ClockHand
10-07-2011, 11:32 PM
really?!

fuck this!!

(I just kill the gargoyles and clean the road to the capra demon (I think I clean all the main roads now).

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Okay well... Idk I don't think it'll be a huuuge deal. You should be able to get by without having to buy stuff from him. In Demon's Souls, I accidentally did that to two NPC's when I got invaded and I was able to finish it fairly smoothly. But yeah, you just can't buy stuff from him anymore.

ClockHand
10-07-2011, 11:38 PM
I can't talk with anyone )=.

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 11:39 PM
no one will talk to you? Like none of the NPC's? Who'd you hit?

ClockHand
10-07-2011, 11:47 PM
I hit a vendor, a no npc want to talk with me (not even the guy who clean your sins) and I can't sit in a bonfire.

jubeh
10-07-2011, 11:50 PM
I think your game glitched out man

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 11:51 PM
I think there's a lot of problems they need to fix dude

ClockHand
10-07-2011, 11:53 PM
I will be sue by sexual harassment, apparently.

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Are you playing on xbox or ps3?

ClockHand
10-07-2011, 11:57 PM
zboz

Hayashida
10-07-2011, 11:58 PM
oic. Hmm yeah, I dunno why no one would talk to you. There's gotta be some glitch, like James said.

ClockHand
10-07-2011, 11:59 PM
well I have no internet in the cboc so I don't think a patch will help.

Hayashida
10-08-2011, 12:00 AM
Well that's pretty shitty then. Idk what you'd have to do then.

ClockHand
10-08-2011, 12:39 AM
as I can't speak with the npcs is impossible to me say I'm sorry about all this.

jubeh
10-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Okay sen's fortress was insane but it was fun. Anor londo is just bullshit though. You will see what I mean when you get to the black knight snipers.

Evil_Cake
10-08-2011, 01:07 AM
as I can't speak with the npcs is impossible to me say I'm sorry about all this.

you dont need the npcs you can make it on your own

Hayashida
10-08-2011, 02:00 AM
well shit I was venturing around in the depths and I got cursed by those frog things.

jubeh
10-08-2011, 02:56 AM
Owned

Hayashida
10-08-2011, 03:25 AM
Man I fell in this hole and I killed one but then the framerate dropped and I got disoriented and then killed by these things

jubeh
10-08-2011, 03:30 AM
Now you can fight the ghosts at the ruins.

Hayashida
10-08-2011, 03:45 AM
They're probably destroy me though those things are so strong

jubeh
10-08-2011, 03:47 AM
John are you a can-adian or a can't-adian.

Hayashida
10-08-2011, 03:49 AM
... I'm a CANadian! You're RIGHT JAMES. I WILL DESTROY THOSE THINGS.

jubeh
10-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Man anor londo was so bullshit. But now I gotta fight snakes with octopuses for heads. I mean what

Lucy
10-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Oh shit I think I accidentally let Yurt 2.0 get away with his dirty deed.

jubeh
10-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Lucy how could you

Lucy
10-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Because I didn't knoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

Can you bring Anastacia back to life or am I stuck with a +1 Estus Flask for the rest of the game? It's pretty good as it is, just wondering.

jubeh
10-08-2011, 07:18 PM
You can bring her back if you dont accidentally eat her soul like I did

Hayashida
10-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Wait is anastacia that girl who can't speak in that thing? I haven't done anything with her yet because I don't want to mess anything up. Also I'm slowly making my way through the new londo ruins. I got that ladder short cut, but I died a little far ahead because I was checkin out a ledge and then like 50 of those ghosts attacked me.

jubeh
10-08-2011, 09:56 PM
John tbh its not even worth doing londo ruins unless you want to join the darkwraith dudes. You need to beat that giant wolf in order to even enter the abyss.

Hayashida
10-08-2011, 10:01 PM
I'm cursed so I need to fix that

jubeh
10-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Ez way is to just play as normal and stock up on as many inventory souls as you can get

Hayashida
10-08-2011, 10:50 PM
I would do that, but I gotta save up for that key yet so I can get that eastern armour. Btw, have you found a decent way of farming souls?

jubeh
10-08-2011, 11:02 PM
The best way to farm is using that same key. There's a bonfire right next to that door that's hidden. All the dudes beyond the door give you like 2k souls and respawn. Just rinse and repeat.

But honestly the eastern armor isn't good. The gold hemmed armor is just too good. You get that after you beat queelag.

Hayashida
10-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Yeah I just saw a video on that. I guess I'm gonna have to get those souls the old fashioned way. And anyway, I just want the armour cuz it looks cool tbh.

jubeh
10-08-2011, 11:22 PM
Man lost izalith is like they ran out of ideas and asked a 10 year old how they should make the most bullshit level of all time. Look forward to getting there man its great.

Hayashida
10-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Man they kind of messed up a lot of the combat in this game. Like rather than making it so that you can strategize your fighting, you just have to tediously lure out enemies so you can fight them 1 on 1 rather than 1 on 4 or 5.

jubeh
10-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Lost izalith is too fucking stupid Im about to just go on a rampage IM RAGGGGGGGGGIIIIIIIIIIIIING

Hayashida
10-09-2011, 12:27 AM
man why do those giant iron dudes in darkwood garden come back after you kill them >:/

jubeh
10-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Im wearing ornstein's armor now. Awwwright. I even have a lightning spear so I can be exactly like him.

Too bad he was a butthead and now he's dead.

Hayashida
10-09-2011, 12:47 AM
where'd you get the lightning spear from?

jubeh
10-09-2011, 01:10 AM
Sen's fortress.

Hayashida
10-09-2011, 01:26 AM
Man you're way ahead of me

jubeh
10-09-2011, 01:51 AM
Um yeah I've already beaten 2 of the lords

Lucy
10-09-2011, 02:06 PM
I haven't had a murdering from a video game boss like the one the Capra Demon is giving me in a long time.

ClockHand
10-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Ok I did everything again =.=.

I killed the taurus and the gargoyles (and I haven't die yet =D) but now that I'm where I screw everything I don't know where to go )= I don't know if I should go against the capra demon or walk through the forest.

Also I'm planing to kill a black knight, the first you see in the undead burge. I killed him in my first play through but I die many times, and I don't want to die (I haven't die in the entire game yet, I have 3 humanities, I'm human and I'm fucking cool), so, should I go against him now? or should I wait a little longer?

I have 17 of vitality, 18 endurance, 16 strength, 13 dext and 12 resistance. I'm with my warrior equipment but with drake sword and some black fire bombs.

jubeh
10-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Dont fight the knight yet. I couldn't get the upperhand against him until I had the gravelord sword. If you're gonna keep using the drake sword consider coming back after you've upgraded it.

Capra demon will kill you for sure. The forest is considerably easier but you can't actually "beat" it until you have 20k souls to open the door with. What I would do is just go there, beat moonlight butterfly and become a bit stronger.

ClockHand
10-09-2011, 04:17 PM
ok. I will kill the butterfly!

jubeh
10-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Butterfly is mad easy dude

ClockHand
10-09-2011, 04:32 PM
At the moment all the bosses have been easy. The only guys who really kick the shit out of my are the black knights.

jubeh
10-09-2011, 04:51 PM
It gets better

ClockHand
10-09-2011, 05:16 PM
FUCK MAN!

So I went to the forest, start walking down the basin an a dark knight appeared!! he was chasing (because I obviously start running away) until i was like "fuck it, I will not going to make it, so I have to fight". Well after a pretty crazy fight I won. But man, I don't want to go to this road ever again.

Socrates
10-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Alright, just bought this game. I was playing Demon souls yesterday, beat it and immediately decided to get this today. I figured out so far that if you kill the asylum dude you get his hammer, but you can't take the door I think. I tried killing him with the firebombs and it was pretty easy, if you grabbed them. The hammer is really hard to carry, but is probably helpful later in the game. Also, if you attack him coming down off the ledge, you take away a ton of health, same for the taurus demon. Started as a thief, hated how slow he was so I remade into a knight, so far I have not got past the Taurus demon, but its mostly from a mistake, I think my knight will own him pretty quick. Also, theres some firebombs near the dude whos the way of white once you get to Lordran.

So far this game looks amazing, musics really cool.

Edit: Also, killing the dude that recruits you to way of white grabs you a 1000 souls and hes super easy.

jubeh
10-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Why would you kill him

Socrates
10-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Souls, besides the fact I don't really enjoy the guy.

jubeh
10-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Clock gave me the idea to dual wield with fist weapons. Game is much more fun now.

Evil_Cake
10-09-2011, 08:20 PM
whys it mo fun

jubeh
10-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Punch dudes in the face.

Btw game beaten.

Socrates
10-09-2011, 09:21 PM
So yeah, still not past the taurus demon. I was so much better at the original.

Hayashida
10-10-2011, 12:50 AM
James how did you fight the moonlight butterfly? I was retarded and went in with a sword because I had no idea what to expect and got killed really quickly.

jubeh
10-10-2011, 12:53 AM
James how did you fight the moonlight butterfly? I was retarded and went in with a sword because I had no idea what to expect and got killed really quickly.

You literally just wait until it like gets tired and sits on the bridge. Until then you just dodge.

Hayashida
10-10-2011, 12:54 AM
oh okay awesome thanks

kaspar
10-10-2011, 11:50 AM
Is Dark Souls really hard as people say it is?

ClockHand
10-10-2011, 01:15 PM
No, it's hard, but is not impossible. It has some enemies that are annoying, others that are absurds and others that look badass but if you are smart you can kill them easily.

Lucy
10-10-2011, 02:19 PM
It isn't too hard once you know what you're doing, but it requires some trial and error. You will die, and that will help you figure out what not to do next time. The point of the game is that you fail repeatedly and learn from that.

It is ball-breakingly difficult on occasion. I'm looking at you, Capra Demon.

jubeh
10-10-2011, 02:41 PM
If you guys were badass you'd dual wield fist weapons like me.

ClockHand
10-10-2011, 03:27 PM
So should I go to blight town or new london ruins? Also I think I haven't gone to deep in darkroot basin (I haven't fought the alligator cats = allicators).

jubeh
10-10-2011, 03:28 PM
Dont go to the ruins. Go do blight town and ring the bell.

ClockHand
10-10-2011, 03:29 PM
But maaaaaan those orcs and the bridges are annoying =.=

jubeh
10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Are you a mexiCAN or a mexiCan't.

ClockHand
10-10-2011, 03:39 PM
neither )=

Evil_Cake
10-10-2011, 03:47 PM
well ur boned

ClockHand
10-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Blight town scares the shit of out me.

At the moment I haven't die and most of the time the enemies die by them selfs in this place, but man, this is so scary (if I have a long fight in one of the moving bridges I will shit myself).

Edit: This is retarded, I have to fight against some spit fire demons, while a guy throw me poisoned arrows and some insects fly to me to attack me.

Edit2: Fuck, fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck...

jubeh
10-10-2011, 11:05 PM
That last post reads like a journal you'd find in a survival horror game.

Evil_Cake
10-10-2011, 11:57 PM
jajajaja

Hayashida
10-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Clock are you a CHILLean or a FREAKOUTean? Also James are you an AMeriCAN or an AREN'TeriCAN'T?eh?

ClockHand
10-11-2011, 01:30 AM
I killed the witch and now I'm going out through the back door (to dragons valley) and I can't get through it

All the dragons notice me when I'm close, and I can't sneak out of this place. If I kill the witch, does that mean I can kill a dragon easily? The dragons follow you through the thin paths?

Hayashida
10-11-2011, 04:48 AM
fucking havel the rock. fuckiiiiing what the fuuuuuuck

ClockHand
10-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Now on Sen's Fortress. Now my Drake Sword seems useless, but all my weapons are worst.

jubeh
10-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Time to start upgrading then

ClockHand
10-11-2011, 04:29 PM
I dunno man... I'm thinking in going for the witch weapon, but I don't know if I should go for the katana version or the falchion version.

jubeh
10-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Its the same you can just make it from any curved sword.

ClockHand
10-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Yeah but I don't know which one to chose, katana version or falchion. The falchion does mostly fire damage, and the katana does physical (and it says chaos).

I think I will eat the butterfly soul.

Hayashida
10-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Yeah I might do the same because the weapons you can make from it don't look too great. Also I tried going into the catacombs yesterday but the skeletons keep respawning and killing me so I gotta come up with a plan or something

ClockHand
10-13-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm going to try the catacombs now (now that i reach anor london). And also I want to try to kill the wolf.

Anor London looks great and exiting, but as the same as the hellish looking area, it stress me.

Edit: I'm regretting in have chose the pendant as my gift.

jubeh
10-14-2011, 03:16 PM
My guide came in today. I will be fielding questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnUGxY_b00Y&feature=relmfu

Hayashida
10-15-2011, 12:13 AM
haha good video. "MY ASSHOLE'S BEEN TORN ASUNDER!!!"

Also James, do you know if there's any way to stop skeletons from reviving

jubeh
10-15-2011, 12:17 AM
You should see a dude with a lantern. Kill him and they stop in that area. There are like 5 of them I think.

Hayashida
10-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Man I didn't see any dude with a lantern. Guess I should look harder. Its hard when there's like twenty skeletons chasing me though.

jubeh
10-15-2011, 12:21 AM
He'll be like at the back of the skeletons using them to protect himself. He also runs away when he sees you.

Hayashida
10-15-2011, 01:05 AM
aight thanks for the tip brobot

Sylux
10-17-2011, 09:55 PM
I was confused there for a minute because there was an "A" button PNG and my last 7 games have all been PC over the course of months so I forgot controllers existed

Socrates
10-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Got my character cursed in the depths, have to go through blighttown with half health. Shit. On the bright side, I have the Dragon great axe from the Gaping dragon, its pretty badass.

jubeh
10-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Somebody found a decent way to play with friends.

A friend and I found a pretty quick method to co-op on PS3. Get in the place you want to play in. Quit the game, then both load at the same time. Have one person put down a sign, eventually it will show up, from then on, your will be on the same lobby.

Hayashida
10-19-2011, 08:00 PM
we should try that sometime James

CypressDahlia
10-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Is anyone but me annoyed by the human NPCs voices? They're like...whispering to you in really obnoxious accents that put a lot of stress on the first and last syllables of every word.

ClockHand
10-23-2011, 07:59 PM
I actually love the voices and accents.

Hayashida
10-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Is anyone but me annoyed by the human NPCs voices? They're like...whispering to you in really obnoxious accents that put a lot of stress on the first and last syllables of every word.

I dunno man I like the voice acting

jubeh
10-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Yeah its p fitting for a world where everyone is crestfallen

CypressDahlia
10-24-2011, 02:47 AM
Really? You weren't even //slightly// bothered by the extra emphasis on every consonant?

"Oh heLLo Sir, I DiDn'TTTTT NhoTiCEEEEE you THeRe. I TTruSTT your JHourney iS Coming aLHong."

jubeh
10-24-2011, 03:20 AM
Yeah that sounds rad to me

Lucy
10-24-2011, 08:37 PM
It's grating in a sort of "oh god that is unnerving and creepy" sort of way. I never found it obnoxious, to be honest. I think it did what it's supposed to do. I realize it's a bit narm-y, though, so I get you, but I like it. It fits really well with the game. The thing which gets me most about it is how just about everyone does these empty, wicked sounding laughs after they're done talking.

CypressDahlia
10-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah those laughs make me consider killing the NPCs just in case they turn on me... I went back to the undead asylum a little earlier than I should have >>'

jubeh
10-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Man I fucking love the belltower priest's laugh.

CypressDahlia
10-25-2011, 04:49 PM
I hate Lautrec's laugh. It's so like obvious "I'm a bad guy" laugh. But someone told me to keep him alive so whatevs. Got my +1 estus anyway, so I don't need to care about that mute bitch anymore.

I really dislike the Drake Sword. Picked it up (easy, since I'm using a DEX build), and it's like one-shotting all the basic enemies. Really makes the game not live up to its "this is uber hard" reputation, at least for the first 4 areas I've been.

jubeh
10-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Yeah that's the point of the drake sword, but demons souls had stuff like that too.

CypressDahlia
10-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I figured. It's a cool find, but I dropped it in favor of the uchigatana. I watched some of GhostRobo's let's play before deciding to get this game and I figure that merchant is useless for anything BUT arrows so whatevs.

also, bleeding attribute feeds my parry addiction.

ClockHand
10-25-2011, 06:09 PM
The Drake's Sword is not that good, at the beginning is amazing, you kill everything with one hit, but ones you get further in the game it become useless and I think its not a really good idea to upgrade it (cuz it cost a lot of souls and the weapon doesn't scale with your stats).

I think the best weapon in the game is Queelang's Furysword, it's a joke all the damage it does and the game is made for pyromancers (fire damage beats everything in the game).

I want to be good using rapier's and I want to try some builds (rapier wizard, knight cleric, fire/poison or bleed ninja).

CypressDahlia
10-25-2011, 06:16 PM
High DEX + uchigatana is amazing. Curved swords have ridiculously fast attacks and the bleeding damage stacks up really fast.

ClockHand
10-25-2011, 06:23 PM
go for Queelag's Furysword, its based on Dex, and it ridiculous over powerful.

CypressDahlia
10-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Naw I'm not going for OP. I'm mostly using parry for my main fighting tactic so basically any enemy who gets parried is dead just because of how fast uchigatana is + blood loss buildup. I can take out those trolls in blighttown w/ relative easy that way.

Seems like most of the difficulty in this game comes from extremely high damage from enemies. Their patterns are not particularly sophisticated. The best duel I had with any one enemy was definitely either the Capra demon or the one knight in the asylum. If only all of the AI routines were that nice.

-----

Okay, so here I am in Anor Londo. Aside from a couple of cheap shots in Sen's Fortress (=_='''), the game seems to be getting progressively easier (?). As the enemies get bigger and hit harder, they become so much easier to bait and avoid. The quickness and general unpredictability of the human-sized enemies really made the challenge in the first half of the game.

Hayashida
11-04-2011, 01:40 AM
Well, I started playing again and I managed to get through blighttown and kill Quelaag but now I've got an egg on my head and I'm trying o get my way out again. Ffs its hard enough with the enemies and the toxic dart dudes but the fucking framerate makes it damn near impossible.

ClockHand
11-04-2011, 02:08 AM
Oh yeah, the first time I went to Blight town I was pretty annoyed (easy to fell, poison darts and lag). I think there is a NPC that sells you the cure for the egg head in Quelaag Domain's.

You know what I hated the most of Blight Town? That some times you can fell safe in a enclosed space that have only one way out: dropping to your death. And one's you do it, there is no way to get your souls back because everything is in a stupid space you can't reach if you don't want to die again.

Cyp@
Yeah, the most fun to fight are the humanoid characters, any other enemy is just "more hp" and "more damage", but you will find some nice surprises in Anor Londo and further in the game that break the monotony.

Lucy
11-04-2011, 07:01 AM
So as I get through the game I'm realizing that blocking and using heavy armor is a strategy that just gets worse and worse with every new area. Switching to Eastern Armour now, because this iron golem is kicking my ass with my horrible slow rolling and I need to be able to move, but I will miss my huge defense granted by the stone armor set.

CypressDahlia
11-04-2011, 12:22 PM
roll between his legs. I thought that shit only worked in movies but it's legit.

But yeah. Blight town was an architect's worst nightmare. I mean, do those creatures really manage to live there?

ClockHand
11-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Aren't they undeads?

CypressDahlia
11-04-2011, 12:29 PM
I guess but we do kill them, so I guess not at the same time?

ClockHand
11-04-2011, 12:40 PM
But I don't think they live. Even more as every enemy is disposed in the space it makes it really awkward. Like they just wait for you.

CypressDahlia
11-04-2011, 12:44 PM
yeah true. they just sit around waiting for men to slay. I guess that's the life of a video game enemy.

Hayashida
11-04-2011, 03:08 PM
Oh yeah, the first time I went to Blight town I was pretty annoyed (easy to fell, poison darts and lag). I think there is a NPC that sells you the cure for the egg head in Quelaag Domain's.
Yeah I killed that creepy dude and he dropped a couple of the cures

You know what I hated the most of Blight Town? That some times you can fell safe in a enclosed space that have only one way out: dropping to your death. And one's you do it, there is no way to get your souls back because everything is in a stupid space you can't reach if you don't want to die again.
Yeah sometimes it can get pretty dumb, but even if you have 30-40k souls, you can get it back without too much hassle by farming them in darkroot garden

jubeh
11-04-2011, 03:11 PM
You can get the egg cure from those snakes in the garden also. The ones that are around the trees that look like branches.

Hayashida
11-04-2011, 03:13 PM
oh awesome. I'm gonna wait until my egg head is fully formed before I use it because I want to knock people back with a grub.

edit: James my buddy and I were able to play together pretty consistently the other day, we should try playing together soon.

jubeh
11-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Okay what level is your dude

Hayashida
11-04-2011, 03:39 PM
I think I'm 46 now

jubeh
11-05-2011, 02:02 PM
I'll have to get a dude to that level, though I really wanted to do a level 1 run. Anyway, patch notes.

http://trendygamers.com/2011/11/02/dark-souls-patch-1-04-information/

Now everyone has to find something else to bitch about:

Ring of Fog users can now be locked on.

Hayashida
11-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Man I got invaded before I even knew about the fog ring and I spent p much the entire fight trying to lock onto the guy. I was like wtf is going on and he killed me with fire

Lucy
11-06-2011, 04:20 PM
So I'm in Anor Londo now and I'm liking how I keep meeting characters from old levels. There's a bit many of these big knight things though, I hate to say it's a little tedious. Although it's keeping me hooked with their extremely good placement.

jubeh
11-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Anor londo is so poorly designed compared to sen's fortress which was practically perfect. The theme is cool though since you're all tiny and everything else is huge.

Hayashida
11-06-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm right at sen's fortress right now. Though I was gonna venture back into the catacombs to see if I can join the gravelord servent covenant before so I can get that sword.

jubeh
11-06-2011, 04:37 PM
That sword is so rad. Even if you don't use it it looks awesome.

CypressDahlia
11-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Ornstein and Smough are really well designed. I almost feel bad for killing them.

jubeh
11-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Yeah that was a great fight actually. I walk around in ornstein's armor now. Its pretty morbid.

ClockHand
11-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I love how Smough looks, but I like Ornstein spear. That is what makes so hard beating them, you don't know if you want Smough armor or Ornstein spear )=.

CypressDahlia
11-06-2011, 05:00 PM
better than walking around in smough's armor... makes you feel fat.

jubeh
11-06-2011, 05:03 PM
I like how he was so fat that whoever made his armor was compelled to shape it like his bulbous stomach.

CypressDahlia
11-06-2011, 05:30 PM
yeah basically if you get that armor you look like a mini-Smough...at which size you have no excuse for being that fat.

Hayashida
11-06-2011, 10:49 PM
That sword is so rad. Even if you don't use it it looks awesome.

yeah. I got the sword, probably gonna abandon the covenant soon. Thinking about joining the darkwraith one for the armour

CypressDahlia
11-07-2011, 01:24 AM
Abandon it before you have to fight him or it gets mad awkward. It's like having to kill your supervisor at your workplace.

jubeh
11-07-2011, 01:29 AM
I killed two of my bosses. I was aligned with nito and gwyndolin at some point.

CypressDahlia
11-07-2011, 02:22 AM
I always thought it was ironic that his name was "nito" like "neato". He's not very neat at all.

ClockHand
11-07-2011, 03:27 AM
Jubeh showed me this, and I think we all should look at it and start throwing hypothesis.

it might have spoiler about the story LOL

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/60841271

So here is a theory.
As some people have said, there are 3 ages: The age of Ancients, The Age of Fire and apparently a Age of Darkness (I don't think its an age, because in the intro it says "Then, from the Dark, They came"). According with the story they came from the Darkness to the Fire, in here they found the soul of lords (God's apparently), Nito the first of the dead, Gwyn Lord of Cynder/Sunlight, the Witches of Izaliat and the Pygmy (one of the most mysterious of the 4). Gwyn rule Anor Londo, which is the city of lords (where the Gods use to live?), but as some objects tells (Ring of the Sun Princess) they were gone, only letting Gwyndoline (his sister is a illusion). Gwyn was losing his powers so he went to the kiln to grant him more life as a undead (trying to scape his fate) with this he lift the curse of the undead and the bonfires, the black knights are products of Gwyn flames, and apparently also the firekeepers get stained by the bonfire (look the items of the firekeeper who die). You are there to stop this curse and to end the rule of Gwyn. I think the Dark age (as we discuss with Jubeh) represent the end of the age of Gods on earth (the age of fire).

There are a lot of complex things, a lot of kingdoms, but every kingdom is, apparently, ruled by Lordran (the one where you are playing), and there are way more gods (this is what I don't get it, Gwyn got the soul of lords, so he become a God, but that's mean there are higher Gods, I think those souls are from Gods on earth, and there are Gods upon earth to, which could explain the Gold Coin item with the image of Allfather Lloyd?)

-Undeads by nature fear flames (Fireball description)

Ok guys this need a skype session to talk about this.

CypressDahlia
11-07-2011, 05:19 PM
TBH, I don't think the story is meant to make much sense so much as it sets you up to fight the 4 Lords.

And I think it's weird how they call Nito the first of the Dead considering he is obviously alive and can be killed. Maybe he's like the first of the dead to become undead through possession of a Lord soul, who knows.

ClockHand
11-07-2011, 05:25 PM
No because the first Undead was Seath.

Also yeah, Nito is pretty weird, he is like the first of dead, but he is kind of a god, but at the same time doesn't do anything... is kinda weird.

More Theory!!!

Theory.

The first age of was the Age of Ancients. In that time everything was unformed, shrouded by fog with archtrees and dragons. By the name we can suppose that people were living, as the name says “Ancients”, this can include the lost land of Oolacile or Gods.

The fire appeared, with this came disparity “Heat and cold, life and death, and of course… Light and Dark.” By this we can see that in this moment Life appeared as the same as death, so we can also agree that previews to this age the rules were deities and with fire the living start to appeared.

“Then, from the Dark, They came”
We can understand this as the livings who appeared from the darkness, but also they can be the dead. I stay in the side of the dead because of the following.

“And found the Souls of Lords within the flame.”
I believe are undeads, because undeads are attracted to souls, also because I think in here they are saying that those “not living” are like empty shells.
When it says “found the souls of lords”, there is an obvious point of deities in the souls and that these creatures found the souls of the gods in a way (of course this will tell us that the gods were dead).

“Nito, the first of the dead”

Nito is weird, because he is the first of the dead, and I guess he found a Lord soul(?). So how he can be dead and have this Lord Soul? I don’t know, but he point to be a Lord of Graves more than a God of Death, because he doesn’t look like the takes lifes, but he look like he watch over the dead of others.

“The Witch of Izalith, and her daughters of chaos”

Ok, Witches are obviously a group of sisters (brothers to?) that use Pyromancy (but apparently they use Sorcery first). The Witches are important later.

“Gwyn, the Lord of Sunlight, and his faithful knights”

Well Gwyn obviously is a deity, but is not the highest, because Allfather Lloyd is his uncle. Now in here I don’t know how everything works, because there are more deities, but these gods doesn’t seem to be tied to the “found the souls of lords”, which makes me believe there were few lord souls and other gods were alive (specially because Lloyd is named allfather). His faithful knights are the silver knights, Artorias, Ornstein, Hawkeye Gough and Lord's Blade Ciaran.

“And the furtive pygmy, so easily forgotten”

The Pygmy is one of the most mysterious character on the game because you never have any kind of contact with him (directly or indirectly). I believe that the Pygmy is the one who pull the straight in here. Pygmy is supposed to be a small character a midget in a way, but in the story it doesn’t look like one, this might be because the name he have is figurative, and this named Pygmy because of his obvious lack of protagonism in the story. But I think there are the following possibilities for the Pygmy.

A) The Pygmy was your ancestor.
B) The Pygmy was the one that put the “ember” on the dead knight, giving him a short curse of the undead to save you from the Asylum.
C) You are the Pygmy (it makes sense, you are the smallest character on the game, and everyone is taller than you).

“And Seath the Scaleless betrayed his own, and the dragons were no more
Thus began the Age of Fire”

Ok, Seath betrayed the dragon, those die, but why? I think it was because Seath wanted the Immortality, and the only way to get it was through experimentations on a crystal. To get access to the crystal he work with Gwyn to kill the dragons. This can be contrasted by his experiments and that he was the first Undead (probably it was a mistake, he though as becoming undead he would become immortal, but he didn’t knew about the Hollow part of the deal).

And the Age of Fire is the Age of Gwyn and his allies (his deities). I think the Age of Fire is like a Age of God’s on earth.

“But soon, the flames will fade, and only Dark will remain”

So I think in here its saying that the Gods are not immortal, and so they are going to die eventually. I believe Gwyn wasn’t to keep his kingdom under his rule, and for this he search immortality, the same as Seath. Obviously neither of them know about the Hollow part apparently.

Gwyn went to the Kiln to extend the flame burning everything and dyeing. His best knights die in there and they got black (Black Knights), and apparently the bonfire stain with black at the ones who stay in there (but also apparently keep them safes to not going Hollow?). Gwyndoline keep his grave, Nito, The Four Kings and Seath keep parts of his Soul and the Lordvessel is in Anor Londo.

“Even now, there are only embers, and man sees not light, but only endless nights”

I think in here is the first time the story talk about Man, like people, humans. So I still believe the age of Fire is the age of Gods, and the end of them is the Age of Men (darkness), but there is no light in this age because Gwyn is not letting it to happen.

“And amongst the living are seen, carriers of the accursed Darksign.”

This is weird, because the Darksign says that is a curse for the undeads, and its saying here things about the livings.

What I believe its going on is that, your character is in some way related to the Pygmy, its saved from the Asylum, it does this quest and go to kill Hollowed Gwyn to bring end to the Age of Fire.

Lordran seems like the land of the undeads (as the npc in the firelink shrine tells you that this is an accursed land), and so the undeads have to come here (or are forced), this would explain why there are undeads from so many places.

The Way of White apparently use to hunt Undeads, as you can see most of them hates the undeads, but they were worshiping Allfather Lloyd who is uncle of Gwyn. I believe Lloyd was against the goal of Gwyn in a beginning, this is why the Way of White hunted Undeads.

And to prove that the Undeads were bad, was what happened with the kingdom of Balder, that become ruins because of the undeads.

This is still doesn’t let you very clear why the maiden when with Nito? If the Way of White is about Lloyd, why would they go with Nito? Probably to ask him to stop Gwyn? To kill him and so kill Gwyn? I don’t know.

Also I think a lot of Gods were against Gwyn Decision, like Gwynever (gwyn ever) who went out of Anor londo, with other Gods. The only one there is Gwyndoline.

Another mysterious character is Gwyn first son, who is connected to Warrior of the Sunlight covenant (which are very important in the game) and because as the pygmy, it never appears.

I believe this act of Gwyn also call the followers of his first son, who come from Astoria to Lordran when they become undead, with the goal to stop Gwyn (probably they become allies of Way of White).

CypressDahlia
11-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Yeah, personally I think the first flame...

...is just a parallel to the religious ideas of "life", "death" and "knowledge", which always creates strife. This is a recurring theme in a lot of religious material...

And I don't think Seath can be the first of the Undead considering...

...he is a dragon, and dragons existed long before the undead, during the Age of Ancients. He's just like a weird albino dragon...

And the furtive pigmy, I think:

...was probably the first ancestor of "man", cuz when you observe places like Anor Londo, obviously everyone back then was a giant, so it's understandable that the average man would be considered a pigmy.

ClockHand
11-07-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm saying Seath was the first undead becase: He was obsessed with the scale of immortality (Conversation with Anor Londo Firekeeper), He was able to become immortal through the Primordial Crystal, which he pillaged when he turned against the ancient dragons. (Conversation with Big Hat Logan in Duke's Archive), and He is a true Undead, unlike the player character and other Undead like Big Hat Logan. (Conversation with Big Hat Logan in Duke's Archive)

I think you are might be right about the furtive pigmy.

CypressDahlia
11-07-2011, 05:58 PM
You know what would really help. Figuring out what From software means by "undead". Like honestly...this game has made me totally lose sight of what that term even means anymore.

ClockHand
11-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Yeah. And sometimes they call it a curse, and other times they call the darksign a curse over the undead (maybe the darksign is the relation with the pygmi).

So, more idea?

jubeh
11-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Undead in this game is literally a person who comes back to life after dying. The risk is that an undead person will eventually go "hollow" which is the state where they lose their mind and are just a violent shell of a person.

Also Seath is what big hat logan calls a true immortal.

ClockHand
11-07-2011, 06:12 PM
So immortality is beyond gods or just for some gods. And what about Nito?

jubeh
11-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Nito oversees death. It's safe to assume that dragons could not die before he existed, since life and death wasn't really a concept until the first flame.

ClockHand
11-07-2011, 06:17 PM
But at the end you kill him, so its like you fucking killed death.

jubeh
11-07-2011, 06:21 PM
He was a terrible overseer of the dead since the dead kept waking up and doing shit after they were killed.

CypressDahlia
11-07-2011, 06:22 PM
yeah the only sense that would make is if Nito himself was at one point alive, died, then came back to life. In which case it would make sense that he was the First of the Dead, because he was the first guy to die--like ever--since the first flame. But then it's like...how the hell did he become what he is now.

ClockHand
11-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Other option would be that this is kinda a race lord. Like Deads (esqueleton and suchs) are like a race? and he is his lord? He is the lord of creatures that never were alive in a first place, Gwyn was the lord of Sunlight and all these more bigger guys (I don't think Giants), Pygmy the one of mans and the Witches were like a community.

I know it seems pretty retarded, but in any other way would have less sense.

jubeh
11-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Well if you notice he is made out of dead people which begs the question how that's possible when there were just dragons around anyway. Probably a design decision that conflicted with what the writer was going for, or they just didn't care.

Anyway I believe that all undead are descendants of the pygmy, which would make sense if the intro happened several generations prior. You could assume that he got around, and his kids got around, and now all the undead are so annoying they're just throw into an asylum.

ClockHand
11-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Thats mean you come from a generation of necrophiliacs.

jubeh
11-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Haha yeah. We know that the first flame happened at least 2000 years ago based on what quelana says to you when she asks you to kill the bed of chaos.

CypressDahlia
11-07-2011, 06:37 PM
...he got around, and his kids got around...

...the bed of chaos.

So that's why they call it that...

jubeh
11-08-2011, 02:43 AM
I read an interesting theory. The fire needs to be linked so the gods won't lose their powers, and to not do so would cause an age of darkness. Well you could interpret an age of darkness as men having to survive without the influence of gods.

Hayashida
11-08-2011, 02:56 AM
aw yiss joined the dragon covenant and got the dragon greatsword thing

ClockHand
11-08-2011, 12:58 PM
Interview with the director:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1211926p1.html

Also, he said:

The story is about a fire in the world, a symbol of both living and death. The fire is what brought death to Dark Souls' world, but also the only hope for life. Demons, chaos, dragons, all of them are different incarnations and representations of our idea of death in Dark Souls.

Ok, so now we need to re-write every theory again. Fuck YOU!

Anor Londo, now occupied only by its expectant stone sentries, retains the marble sheen of the impressive living palace that it must once have been.

This explain why everyone are giants in Anor Londo.

CypressDahlia
11-08-2011, 01:14 PM
TBH, I'm still convinced the story was an afterthought of the game mechanics.

jubeh
11-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Okay?