PDA

View Full Version : Getting new markers and other thrills of life.... (HI.)

inkwelling
09-02-2011, 08:13 PM
HEY, I'm Cec. :cat_secret:
So, I took a trip to the local Hobby Lobby today and got me some new markers! I only got three... Grey, black and pale skin-tone (which are, like, the crayons I always used to diss)... But they excite me. That whole store is infected with awesome.
So, yeah. I kinda just wanted to say HI, and that was all I had going on that was manga related. :cat_thumbsup:
OH, but I do have a question! Is there a word/term for Japanese translated into english letters? Like... Hajimemashite, et cetera?
I feel important, now that I have a question. :cat_shiney:

Hayashida
09-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Okay um I don't really know why you made this a thread. I mean the main reason for your post is a question, it looks like, so you could have just posted that in the spam thread since it doesn't related to any section, especially not the GD. So anyway I'm gonna move this into the chatterbox for now. Next time make sure you post things in the right area.

inkwelling
09-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Ahh, okay. Sorry about that, I just figured that the General board was... gereral.

Ozzaharwood
09-02-2011, 08:57 PM
The OP made me lol.

To answer your question, yes. It's commonly known as Romaji, or Romanized Japanese. If you are planning on learning Japanese, I suggest not using romaji except for pronunciation. It's better to learn Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana etc.

I know what you mean by the buying of art supplies thing. A few days ago I went into a staples for no particular reason and they had Staedtler pencils—which they never have in stock—and I bought them right away. I was p. happy.

inkwelling
09-02-2011, 09:37 PM
THANK YOU. That helps me a ton for looking up things and... yeah. I started learning Japanese a few months ago, and I'm working on learning the characters at the same time. Ish so hard. :cat_whyyou:
Getting new supplies is, like, the best feeling in the world. WELL, not really THE best, but... It's up there with drinking good coffee. :cat_rosy:

jubeh
09-02-2011, 11:07 PM
So, I took a trip to the local Hobby Lobby...That whole store is infected with awesome.:

Hilariously enough that is like one of the worst places to be employed.

Outcast
09-03-2011, 01:08 AM
Explain?

Also does hobby lobby have small paint brushes, pliers and flat head screw drivers?

jubeh
09-03-2011, 01:33 AM
So I can't speak for every hobby lobby, but ours is a sweatshop.

But seriously, they don't have scanners and people tend to switch the price tags around on stuff so the cashiers are expected to remember the prices on a lot of stuff. This is what happens when you put cheap little price stickers on shit.

There was a guy at ours who was hired as some sort of sales associate but all he did was janitor work, like dealing with trash and cleaning bathrooms and stuff.

They have you work during orientation. Could you imagine if it were your first job how jarring that would be.

The aisles are tiny and cramped, and really fragile stuff is basically crammed onto shelves where they barely fit. Obviously anything broken comes out of your paycheck.

And the cash register pops open even when the customer pays with a card. I mean cmon now.

Outcast
09-03-2011, 02:13 AM
What the fuck?

Psy
09-03-2011, 04:14 AM
So I can't speak for every hobby lobby, but ours is a sweatshop.

But seriously, they don't have scanners and people tend to switch the price tags around on stuff so the cashiers are expected to remember the prices on a lot of stuff. This is what happens when you put cheap little price stickers on shit.

There was a guy at ours who was hired as some sort of sales associate but all he did was janitor work, like dealing with trash and cleaning bathrooms and stuff.

They have you work during orientation. Could you imagine if it were your first job how jarring that would be.

The aisles are tiny and cramped, and really fragile stuff is basically crammed onto shelves where they barely fit. Obviously anything broken comes out of your paycheck.

And the cash register pops open even when the customer pays with a card. I mean cmon now.

. . . . . I was seriously going to go and apply at a hobby lobby in a couple days! They are just opening the chain in California and one is in my town being built. I have read some of the reviews and have read quite a few like what you describe but was willing to chance it (especially since it's $8.50 pt and $12 ft starting out) but I am now rethinking it. I need a second job and this seemed viable (despite it being Christian owned and the apparently heavily Christian themed work environment). Perhaps I should hold off till after the holiday season since those are usually 8hr shifts anyhow.

kamisoyokaze
09-03-2011, 04:32 AM
ROmaji is for crack heads who can learn kana and kanji ^^ just saying :P If you wanna learn hiragana and katakana i have some articles on it on my blog:

http://theroadtojapanese.blogspot.com/2011/08/kana101-learn-all-kana-in-2-weeks-e.html

http://theroadtojapanese.blogspot.com/search/label/Full%20list%20hiragana%20learning%20recources%20co mprehensive%20top%20best

http://theroadtojapanese.blogspot.com/2011/08/all-you-need-to-know-about-learning.html

inkwelling
09-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Hmmmm... WELL, I suppose I won't be wearing a Hobby Lobby name-tag throughout my college years. MAYBE I CAN WORK AT A COFFEE HOUSE, INSTEAD. (:

Oh, okay! Thank you, Kami. :cat_ehheh:

OH, another question I have is how you can tell the difference between katakana and kanji and the others.

Hayashida
09-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Okay um just one more thing, try not to double post if you can. Just edit your previous post if you have something you want to add.

To answer your question, Kanji is used for most things, like names, places, etc etc. Hiragana is used when you don't know the kanji for something as well as grammatical things. Um and Katakana is for foreign words and names. This is according to my quick research anyway.

inkwelling
09-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Hmm... Last time I made a double post, they merged together... And so I thought....
Oh. Wait, that was probably the work of a mod. My bad.

Ahhhh, I get it now. Thank you! (:

Sylux
09-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Hiragana looks more organic and katakana looks robotic. That's how I remember it I guess.

inkwelling
09-04-2011, 01:41 PM
And are they all pretty much interchangable?

Rio
09-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Hmm... Last time I made a double post, they merged together... And so I thought....
Oh. Wait, that was probably the work of a mod. My bad. Yeah, and if you catch me in a bad mood, I'm gonna introduce you to the ban hamma'. :cat_gleam:

It's best not to interchange them. Like Hayashia said, they are used specifically for certain things. They way I differentiate between them just by looking is a) kanji tend to be complex, usually made up of several characters all put together b) katakana is very angular and all sharp edges and c) hiragana is more rounded.

Normally, in a sentence, you will find kanji and hiragana being used unless it's a foreign word or something that was purposely written in katakana to give it that foreign feel. For example, sometimes in manga, characters speak in English and as such, you will find the English word written in katakana. Some companies, to make it look cool, will purposely write something that is originally written in hiragana or kanji in katakana. There are a few slight things about usage but that's basically the main difference of usage.

inkwelling
09-06-2011, 07:41 PM
:cat_sweat:
I'M SORRY. I'll be good. I swear.

Okay, that explains a lot. Thank you!

Delphinus
09-06-2011, 08:05 PM
ROmaji is for crack heads who can learn kana and kanji

Surely it's for people who are trying to learn spoken Japanese rather than written Japanese? The two are rather different.