PDA

View Full Version : If currency magically became irrelevant

GunZet
08-31-2011, 04:16 PM
Wtf would you do?
What do you think others would do?

I'd probably just take everything I need/want and sail the high seas on a ship made of quarters, and solidified stacks of 100 dollar bills with a harpoon minigun mounted in the front with 360 swivel support.
Or make a new continent with a massive statue of me suspending the land mass high above sea level.

ClockHand
08-31-2011, 04:17 PM
I would make it cloth. Who wouldn't want some 100 dollars bills as boxers?

bambi
08-31-2011, 04:19 PM
Do you mean, if currency lost its value entirely or if it was no longer used.? I'm pretty sure if no one used a type of currency anymore people would freak out and start smashing stuff and stealing. It might get pretty crazy.

GunZet
08-31-2011, 04:28 PM
I mean both ways. And yea I'm pretty sure all the big CEO's would freak out. They'd probably try to bring back trading spices for gold and corn and shite lol.

ClockHand
08-31-2011, 04:31 PM
You need to become a blacksmith, trust my. Without economy the blacksmiths are going to rule the world.

GunZet
08-31-2011, 04:32 PM
THat is possibly true. I mean, everyone needs a good warhammer now and again.

bambi
08-31-2011, 05:26 PM
I feel like being a farmer would be useful... That way you could be self-sufficient.

jubeh
08-31-2011, 05:30 PM
He who controls the spice controls the universe

bambi
08-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Is that from... Dune?

Slurpee
08-31-2011, 08:49 PM
No, I think thats from the Book of Jubeh, page three.

I totally want those dollar bill boxerrs. I'd make a tophat from 100 dollar bills only

Delphinus
09-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Start a new currency with some heavily-muscled friends, backed by stolen property.

The only legitimate currency comes from my bank.

Make the world my bitch with debt.

Then rename myself F. Rothschild.

Rio
09-01-2011, 12:53 PM
I think the world will fall back to gold since the was the original currency of old. Bartering will be the other "currency" as well as arranged marriages, and other bargaining methods.

Kodos
09-01-2011, 04:17 PM
If there is a complete and total global civilizational collapse, gold will be worthless. Bullets and food will be currency. Gold has literally no practical applications outside of physics experiments and some other chemical shit which I somehow doubt people living in Mad Max would care about.

To talk about the collapse of currency at this point in history is to talk about the complete collapse of civilization. Gold was only valuable because organized aggregates of humans arbitrarily said it was valuable. Gold is the truest and most ultimate expression of the idea of fiat currency and arbitrary value. It is a worthless metal with almost no practical uses that people believe is valuable because culture and society have told them it is valuable.

Evil_Cake
09-01-2011, 04:49 PM
and it looks cool

CypressDahlia
09-01-2011, 05:30 PM
They probably associated worth with its rarity and appearance. We do love our shiny things.

GunZet
09-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Ya know, we found a planet made of diamond.
*should just toss this in the CB*

Kodos
09-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Jupiter's core is possibly a giant diamond. Diamonds are carbon, and carbon's not that rare, IIRC.

GunZet
09-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Thought it also depended on the amount of pressure, and considering Jupiter isn't like Earth, nor interesting (because Saturn is the best planet ever). It could still just be...carbon, not actually diamond. Then again it could be. Lots of peer pressure thar.

Delphinus
09-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Jupiter is also huge and has a correspondingly large gravitational pull. Any carbon in its centre would be crushed into diamonds pretty quickly.

GunZet
09-01-2011, 06:45 PM
So when can we start sending mining crafts there? I need a reply, asap.

Kodos
09-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Exactly. That's why people think some gas giants and other such planets may have diamond cores - the pressure and all that jazz.

ClockHand
09-01-2011, 11:49 PM
We should send Paris Hilton to there, so everyone win.

Black_Shaggie
09-02-2011, 01:58 AM
If money did magically become irrelevant, this owuld most certainly mean the colapse of civilization. But in time, someone would bring some kind of currencies back into play & ultimately this one these would become the standard. I mean...like the above posts mention...humanity has been taught to percive gold as a valuable commodity & we have based our world moneys on this basis. I'm sure we'd find something else stupid and ridiculously materialistic to put worth in. Even it took a hundred years or more.

CypressDahlia
09-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Well, we don't just have money because we're stupid and materialistic. Though I agree that we're stupid and materialistic, that's not why currency is valuable to us. Currency is not worth more than its purpose, which is a common vehicle for trading goods that is far more precise and manageable than bartering. Money itself is worthless, of course.

Sutari
09-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Wouldn't subcultures/societies that used human labor itself as currency thrive more? Wait no, maybe not. I'm not sure. The masters would have to instill so much fear into the slaves that they would never revolt, and/or trick them into believing that working to serve a master = freedom. (coughnotlikethatdoesnthappenalreadycough)

Same could go with prostitution, but I seriously have no idea where I'm going with that. Since there's no currency involved, would the aristocrats of the world be the ones who are the best at sex? Or are pimping out the highest quality prostitutes? Would the value change from being the money recieved FOR sex into the quality of the sex itself?

I mean, c'mon.... thats the only thing humans have a pathological compulsion for besides money.

Sho
09-02-2011, 09:38 AM
We'd just be back to trading food for clothes and stuff. Plus we'd have a shitton of useless metal and paper. So I'd just build a fort out of coins, defend it with coinguns, and use the paper to make a fire.

CypressDahlia
09-02-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm jumping on the boat with Rei and selling lolis to Japanese businessmen.

Delphinus
09-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Don't be ridiculous, send them to ClockHand...

Black_Shaggie
09-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Well, we don't just have money because we're stupid and materialistic. Though I agree that we're stupid and materialistic, that's not why currency is valuable to us. Currency is not worth more than its purpose, which is a common vehicle for trading goods that is far more precise and manageable than bartering. Money itself is worthless, of course.

That's my point to why we'd eventually get back to using some kind of currency. Because it is a tool.

ClockHand
09-02-2011, 08:16 PM
Don't be ridiculous, send them to ClockHand...

You want to kill me?

Delphinus
09-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Nah, I just thought you'd appreciate the lolis since you showed such interest in young girls' bosoms over in the animal testing thread.