PDA

View Full Version : A difficult quest?

redmagnumx1
07-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Whats up people in a few months time im opening a gaming bar and want to know how can i get more females intrested in games. At the moment there is a really small amount of female gamers and one of our main goals is to try and get more females to jam some games so if anybody has ideas please share with me :cat_graduate: thanx people

jubeh
07-26-2011, 05:10 PM
According to another study conducted by the Entertainment Software Association in 2010, 40% of the game playing population is female, and women 18 or older now comprise 33% of all gamers. Also, the percentage of women now playing online has risen to 42%, up several percent since 2004. The same study shows that 46% of game purchasers are female (Entertainment Software Association).[6] In recognition of the importance of the issues of women and girls as game developers and players, the International Game Developers Association, an association of companies and individuals in the games industry, has formed a special interest group on Women in Game Development.[7] This is an active field of discussion and a topic in many conferences in the video gaming industry.[1][2]

Round 40 percent of gamers are female that's not a small amount at all.

Superdooperphailmachine
07-27-2011, 04:31 PM
You should get nintendogs and cats, maybe cooking mamma. Women love those games.

CypressDahlia
07-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Hmmm, I wouldn't take the gender of a person purchasing a game as a measure of how many females actually play games. It's not uncommon for moms to buy games for their children. 33% seems a lot more plausible. I dunno about the online gaming statistic as it's "advantageous" for men to pretend to be women in online games for scamming purposes.

Regardless, I don't think the issue is in getting more women to play games...but getting them interested in the same games that we're interested in.

jubeh
07-27-2011, 07:07 PM
I believe those esa numbers were done through polls. I seriously doubted they just counted a bunch of female avatars to come up with those figures. Anyway that's beyond the point. Here are more numbers because Im a stat junky. (http://www.businessinsider.com/lifetime-gaming-2010-3#76-of-women-play-electronic-games-1)

But yeah the actual issue is what kind of games they want to play. Personally, I don't bother forcing genres on friends that aren't interested in them. Since I'll play pretty much anything I usually let them pick the games.

CypressDahlia
07-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Now I'm really curious to see what this online game that all these women are playing is, since the numbers are staggering. I hardly ever encounter females online. I'm guessing it's like...Mahjong or something.

The girls I know are not tolerant of steep difficulty curves so I tend not to play their games and vice versa.

Outcast
07-27-2011, 11:01 PM
The vast majority of my female freinds are gamers.

Though that could be said about my freinds in general.

trilokcool3
07-27-2011, 11:18 PM
well i play a lot online and yes i have encountered many female gamers playing COUNTERSTRIKE ..!!!
i usually join there SERVER . OH MY GOD .... never really challenge them ... they are awesome good in HEADSHOTS AND ALL...
i USUALLY PLAY IN GARENA so till now 20 percent female that i have approx... counted....

wolfman
07-28-2011, 03:29 AM
out of the people im friends with who i play halo with nearly half of them are female o-o and one of them especially is obsessed with it

Fenn
07-28-2011, 09:17 AM
*readies flame shield*

Try Nintendo games.

A lot of Xbox Live games don't even offer female avatars. Nintendo games, while probably a bit less competitive, are more unisex than the gritty, super-masculine styles of many "hardcore" games, and offer female characters worth using (Peach and Daisy in Mario Kart, Samus in Brawl).

Just from my experience.

Rio
07-28-2011, 12:20 PM
I know what they're playing: Farmville and a bunch of HOGs (Hidden Object Games). Most of that 40%, I assume, would be casual players. The rest (much smaller percentage) would be hard-core gamers who play more advanced and more variety of games across multiple platforms.

Regarding the OP, I would start off with gender neutral games that are easy to pick up like Mario Kart, Sims, Katamari Damacy, any casual game, and so on. I got one sister to play because she was watching me play Chrono Trigger years ago. She's played other games since then. I think just as long as it looks interesting, fun, or if the story is good, then you can entice them to try it out.

Fenn
07-28-2011, 12:32 PM
^1 more reason Mario Kart is the greatest game ever made.