PDA

View Full Version : Sketchbook Section Anyone? Please Vote!

nisaren
07-26-2011, 12:06 PM
So some of you may have noticed and taken the time to check out my other post in the Moderator's section.

For those of you who haven't, I'd like to propose an additional section to the forums here at MT called the Sketchbook Section.

So what is this? Basically it's an area where members can maintain a continuous thread of their own work, effectively cataloguing their work that may not be Gallery worthy or wanting critique.

So my question to all of you is this: Do you want a sketchbook section and will you use it?

[EDIT]

Hmmm.... I think I hit a wrong button... didn't mean to make the votes public D:

jubeh
07-26-2011, 01:39 PM
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

nisaren
07-26-2011, 02:05 PM
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE

I don't know. D: D: It would be nice if there was a way to edit the poll's options. Should I make another poll?? Hate to spam the forum. :(

jubeh
07-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I fixed it dude chill out

nisaren
07-26-2011, 02:20 PM
Ah thanks. ^^;

Fenn
07-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Sounds good, and I bet a lot of people would use it. But I personally would not. I haven't even uploaded any manga art yet...

Slurpee
07-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Its like a 50/50 thing really...
can I vote twice? XD

nisaren
07-26-2011, 03:09 PM
@Fenn I'm not sure if you're familiar with other art websites like Conceptart.org, CGSociety.org, etc. They use sketchbooks for more than just one type of art. Lots of people use it to post various studies they've been working on, sketches or thumbnails for projects, and other stuff like that. I personally would like the section because, in addition to giving me a devoted space to post studies and other things, I find it really inspirational and motivational to look at other people's art and see how they're practicing.

Technically, you can post that in the Critique forum, and I do this anyhow. But often times I'm not really expecting critique, if I get a comment or criticism then that's great.

I think the format of the Critique corner should evolve into more of an "I'm having (insert specific problem) with this piece - please give me some ideas" rather than "Here's my latest piece - give me compliments or see if you can find something wrong with it but either way I'm probably not going to bother to fix it". Basically, I see the Critique forum acting as a singular - How can I make THIS piece of art better. While a sketchbook thread is more geared towards How am I making myself better at art. Similar things, I know, but not the same.

@Slurpee What's keeping you on the fence with it?

CypressDahlia
07-26-2011, 04:33 PM
I think it's a good idea, mostly because I usually get crits on GB before I post anyway and I don't want to spam the Artist Alley with things people have already seen.

Rio
07-26-2011, 05:14 PM
@Fenn I'm not sure if you're familiar with other art websites like Conceptart.org, CGSociety.org, etc. They use sketchbooks for more than just one type of art. Lots of people use it to post various studies they've been working on, sketches or thumbnails for projects, and other stuff like that. I personally would like the section because, in addition to giving me a devoted space to post studies and other things, I find it really inspirational and motivational to look at other people's art and see how they're practicing. That's what the Gallery is for. Most of the time, it's there to post your artwork and not expect critique. Members can comment on each others work, rate it, and so on (though this can be turned off at the artist's choice). If you want to follow an artists work, you can just visit their page and check out their Gallery. Here's Black Shaggie's (http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/Black_Shaggie/photo/) gallery, for example.

I will say though that it is easier to follow people's update in a thread than through the Gallery. On the other hand, a Sketchbook thread is basically a rehash of the Gallery unless you prefer uploading your art somewhere else rather than here.

Just playing devil's advocate. I am neither for or against a Sketchbook but I will make sure everyone knows everything before they decide.

Cloudy
07-27-2011, 11:02 PM
I think its a good idea, ever since gallery has been here instead of art threads I never visit forum anymore AND I never see any artists work I like either It's just too hard to track. and no one sees my art. It's just easier to have threads you can go through, to be honest I don't think the gallery works as well. why cant we have both a gallery and an art thread? one for showing off our art to those who use gallery and the other to receive comments and crit in the thread..and the crit section for those who want purely critique...

Celestial-Fox
07-28-2011, 08:29 PM
I find this rather pointless. The gallery serves comment-based needs and the critique corner serves critique needs. Frankly our user population is no where near large enough to have created such a need for the sketchbook section.

/unpopular opinion

toast
07-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Personally, I'd be super happy if we had a sketchbook section. A lot of people don't even post their own art in the gallery section, and it'd be a lot easier to see who updated their art in a sketchbook section. Besides, I doubt it would hurt anyone if we created it. If it turns out to be a horrid idea for some reason, then we can take it away.

I like the critique corner and all, but not everyone uses it as something for purely criticism haha, including me xD If we had a sketchbook section, that would be balanced out. Critique corner can be for WIPS and finished pieces that we really want some criticism on, and sketchbook section can just be typical studies, sketches, finished drawings and doodles you've done.

But of course, the problem that would occur out of a sketchbook section is, who would use the gallery then? What would it's purpose be? Maybe Rio can change it into some time of artist of the month thing, or it can become some type of place to post good reference pictures or something.

Frankly our user population is no where near large enough to have created such a need for the sketchbook section.

Wait, why? I personally think we have a huge population, and basically wouldn't a sketchbook section be an artist alley? And didn't the artist alley work pretty well for the old forum size?

ClockHand
07-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Why have critic corner and art gallery.

Celestial-Fox
07-31-2011, 05:12 PM
^ Exactly.

Everyone's argument is hinging on the fact that the sketchbook section will mystically generate more activity than the Artist Alley, which serves the exact same purpose. Adding a sketchbook section to the forum would only thin out activity in both sections instead of creating more. If it was somehow integrated into the main site and the Artist Alley was shut down, then I would hop on board.

ClockHand
07-31-2011, 05:41 PM
Yeah. The activity is not gonna change. And if you like change the name of the critic corner to artist alley again, is not like people are really making critics there, don't they? (even so I haven't enter to that section in a long time I don't think it have changed so much - same people doing comments to the same people).

The things that really can be a problem is that the art gallery can be private, this can (and I believe it does) slow down the flow of activity. Also because the mentality it's the same as in the critic corner (same people comment to the same people).

If the problem is the activity, people should get rewarded by their activity (don't know how and why). But if the problem is that you want a place to show pictures, then we already have 2.

toast
07-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Mmm, I see. Well, I just know that not many people use the critique corner for solely criticism, and I really just prefer the thread way of showing my artwork on this site. That's pretty much the main reason I'm for this sketchbook section thing.

If we don't go with a sketchbook/artist alley section of the site, we should at least find a way to encourage people to use the galleries more and comment/rate more in that part of the website. This way people who do actually use the gallery get more recognition, and a lot of us would feel better about using it.

ClockHand
07-31-2011, 06:02 PM
In that case the forum and the site should be more united.

This is the same as the oekaki board problem, with the none unity of both parts it create different dimensions/world that never come together. To fix this, people need to be motivated to use both, it can be with rewards or with a explanation of a better use of both sections, so you can take the best of both parts.

Discussion with Toast through msn.

ClockHand.
- the activity problem are us, well you in a more accurate case, this is because if you use the critic corner and you nag rio about how no one does anything to comment, then I will ask "do you comment to other members?" probably the ones you know, but the ones you don't you don't. Plane simple, the problem of both sections is the same, and is that users want comments but are afraid to do so
- kodos, dokken are not the problem (she mentioned the people who doesn't do art before in the chat), they don't use the critic corner, so they don't influence the activity of it, but the same people who use it does, and they are the oens with the same behavior

Tzvety.
- I see :/ It's the fact that I never see anything interesting to comment on when I look at a thread I guess
- but no, I see what you mean...

ClockHand
you have erika
seffy
afro
cyp
gunz (i was gonna write cunz)
and you have million of new members who would appreciate a comment
and you have commented on their stuffs, because you have always done that

Tzvety
and the fact that its the critique corner, the newer members want recognition

ClockHand
that's why it's named critic corner now, because it should motivate people to critic, specilly new ones and work with them and stop the behavior of commenting in the same threads of the same people
the problem are us not they (I'm not the problem, I don't use the critic corner lol)

Tzvety
the problem is the people who post there but don't help everyone there
don't say us, you dont post there dude lawl

ClockHand
and then they nag rio with "no one critic on the critic corner"

Tzvety
hey maan I wasn't nagging her about that, I was saying "not everyone uses the critic corner for critics"

ClockHand
why? because people keep the same behavior lol
that's why I'm saying, people should be rewarded for helping, commenting, critiquing and such
and both the critic corner and the art gallery should work together, not separated

Tzvety
http://www.mangatutorials.com/forum/showthread.php?1211-KayleL-Sketches
no one commented in her thread

CypressDahlia
07-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Just make the gallery more useful, then. As it is, the gallery is very detached from the rest of the active community, which is mainly in the forums.

Celestial-Fox
07-31-2011, 06:42 PM
It looks like we're all starting to converge in thoughts now.

But how do we fix our current problem? I agree with Toast that I like thread format better, because I like seeing everyone's work kept tidily together in chronological format. How can we better integrate the CC with the main site while making the gallery more useful?

ClockHand
07-31-2011, 06:46 PM
The gallery as it is now, it's more personal, reason why it has a private option. While the critic corner don't. We can work teaching the use of both, where you use the gallery to upload images and show to the people you want to show, while the critic corner would become more like a test of time, where you can make a better appreciation of the evolution of your work and ask people to critic them (open critics that doesn't come in the gallery for being more personal).

I think the problem is in the use (and the users).

CypressDahlia
07-31-2011, 06:49 PM
It takes too much work to navigate from the forum to the gallery of a user. It's far out of the way. New members might not even realize they exist, as you don't really visit peoples' profiles on forums anyway.

Celestial-Fox
07-31-2011, 07:24 PM
The CC could become more accessible and noticed if there was a Creator's Corner link in the dropdown menu when you click Gallery in the main site navigation bar.

ClockHand
07-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Still, the gallery would keep separated. Also I find pointless doing all that if the same user's are not going to change their behavior and thee way they use the forum.

Celestial-Fox
07-31-2011, 07:34 PM
Should we have some sort of "Critic of the Month" perk?

ClockHand
07-31-2011, 07:37 PM
No idea about that. I think it can start easily with the senior members posting more on new members threads, and motivate a flow of work, critic and feedback. I think if the senior members show how you need to behave, the new members are going to copy that, and so the live of the critic corner can be more active.

It's not necessarily to jump at every thread, just one or 2 at the week, and the improvement of activity should begin.

Celestial-Fox
07-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Agreed.

CypressDahlia
07-31-2011, 08:04 PM
Also I find pointless doing all that if the same user's are not going to change their behavior and thee way they use the forum.

which is why a Sketchbook is a good idea. It's more of a task trying to change the posting behavior of a bunch of members instead of making a sub-forum to accommodate the current posting behavior.

Celestial-Fox
08-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Though if decreased activity occurs, then it is self-defeating. On the inks MT we got a great critique mindset going for a while, just by some people being more active and specific in their comments. CG Society is like this and newcomers know exactly how to comment, just by following example.

GunZet
08-01-2011, 06:56 PM
I've been using my crit corner thread as my sketchbook for a while now, so I see no real reason for a whole sketchbook category. Also I see plenty of other sites with separate areas for finished work, WIPs, and sketchbooks: like CGfeedback and ConceptArt.org. I just don't get it I guess >_>

Celestial-Fox
08-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Having three areas just makes it more work to follow the same artist.

ClockHand
08-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Having three areas just makes it more work to follow the same artist.

+

Yeah also, it will make it harder to comment and gave feed backs.

CypressDahlia
08-01-2011, 09:25 PM
sketchbooks are more like archives and not necessarily meant to be commented on. It's a sketchdump basically. Besides, following an artist in a separate forum is not nearly as much of a hassle as accessing their profile, accessing their gallery, then clicking through the pictures one by one. Especially since all of the sketchbooks will be in the same place, so you don't have to track down each artist separately. And it auto-updates.

Though having a separate WIP and Completed Works section is not necessary.

doghateburger
08-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Like Cyp said, its a place to dump your sketches, its not a place where you would go looking for critiques. I don't look for critique in everything that I draw, some doodles and scrap are just meant to be doodles and scrap. Having a separate sketchbook section would give the viewer a greater understanding or inside of the artist's mind.

Where else a Gallery is for mainly posting up completed works. At least that's how I would use it. WIP's and post-finish work can be posted into the CC for critiques so that you can edit or fix any errors.

Thats what I think anyways :P

ClockHand
08-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Isn't the Gallery a place to just post doodles? at least that it's how its used.

doghateburger
08-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Thats not how I would use it xD

ClockHand
08-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Thats not how I would use it xD

"Would use it". Which mean you don't use it (reason why asking for a sketche section is pointless), and if you would use it, it wouldn't be in that way (then, you will be repeating the same things with the critic corner).

People, the matters is quiet simple, the gallery already works as a sketche/doodle section, and the critic corner works as always has worked, the problem is not in adding new sections, is in making cohesion and giving a clear sense on how to use the sections.

CypressDahlia
08-02-2011, 03:57 AM
Yes and the argument is that adding a new section to replace the Gallery is much easier and more effective.

And, if you're dumping every sketch you ever make into the gallery, imagine how crowded and unwieldy your gallery becomes. It would be a nightmare to navigate. Seefy and Toast said it before, but thread format is much easier to navigate. Besides, trying to change posting behavior is not only difficult but can be alienating to members or even discourage posting.

I can do without a Sketchbook section, but I'm arguing that the Gallery is not very effective as a sketchbook for people who want one.

Celestial-Fox
08-02-2011, 05:44 AM
I'm only for it if it replaces the gallery entirely. But that just might be my underlying hate for the gallery system/interface showing though. >.>

doghateburger
08-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Wouldn't that cause result in the same outcome? Maybe the Gallery just need better organization features xD

ClockHand
08-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Wouldn't that cause result in the same outcome? Maybe the Gallery just need better organization features xD

Yeah. The problem is not the gallery it self, is just it doesn't integrate well to the forum, creating the oekaki effect again.

GunZet
08-02-2011, 02:13 PM
The Oekaki is like a whole nuther planet o_o.

ClockHand
08-02-2011, 02:15 PM
And soon the Art Gallery it's going to be the same.

It has a no integration to the forum and a bad navegation. Should be changed for a forum section? I don't think so, the Gallery also bring good things, like you can upload your stuffs directly to there, which is the main reason why new members use it.

Celestial-Fox
08-03-2011, 04:50 AM
The Oekaki is like a whole nuther planet o_o.

Somehow I managed to cross over with only a little damage. (Though there was some.)

What does Rio think about all this?

Hamachi
08-03-2011, 05:46 AM
My gawsh. Sometimes I forget the Oekaki is even there.

Sooo... like the Chatterbox is to General Discussion, but only in art form?

ram
08-03-2011, 09:45 AM
I actually don't need this to be honest. I need improvement and not just trolling fan mobs in my corner.
true i like it when someone praise me over my art, and i appreciate it so much! but still i appreciate those who gave me advice and tell me how to improve even more.

CypressDahlia
08-03-2011, 10:52 AM
It's not there for praise, either. It's actually not even there to be commented on it. It's just a sketchdump.

Celestial-Fox
08-03-2011, 03:27 PM
So then sketchdump in private. If someone wants to see someone's sump they can ask and they can upload it.

nisaren
08-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that this would create as much discussion as it has. I'm actually fairly surprised about how opposed some of you are to an idea that is fairly commonplace among other art sites.

I wasn't thinking that the Sketchbook area would supplant the Gallery section. I don't think the Gallery needs to go away for a Sketchbook Area to be valuable and I do think it would be used once it's made available.

The Sketchbook Area would just be an area that allows for artists to post any of their art, without the expectation of critique or comment (unlike the Critique corner). Yes, you can do this with the Gallery, however, I think many view a "Gallery" as a place for finished works. Plus, as has been mentioned, the Gallery is not very well integrated with the forums and let's face it, most of us don't really look a whole lot at the Gallery. Looking for and following artists via the Gallery is not as easy or graceful as just looking through a forum thread.

A Sketchbook Area would also lower the bar and encourage newer artists in posting their art. Many new artists (and even some older artists) are afraid to put their work up on display. Sometimes these pieces are things that they've spent a lot of time on and it's difficult to put it up for all to discuss. Right now we have two options for these people - the Gallery where it most likely won't be seen, or the Critique Corner where the point of posting is for others to come and find the flaws in it. I don't think either of those choices are really ideal in this situation. A Sketchbook would fill this gap by allowing people to post their art where it will be more likely to be seen and where harsh critiques are less likely. It would allow them to build up their confidence.

Having a Sketchbook Area would promote more posts because its not perceived as a potentially hostile area. Not saying the Critique Corner is hostile, however, the purpose of posting there is to receive critique and critiques are by default supposed to find and address problems or errors. Even the most well-intentioned critique can serve to shut down a new artist's desire to keep drawing. It most likely won't stop them from drawing forever but it's always a setback to receive a harsh critique (whether truly harsh or just perceived that way). I'd rather have the Critique Corner be reserved for people asking for specific help on a particular image rather than a general critique on their entire body of work. Taking critique on one piece is a lot different than someone critiquing your entire body of work.

Maybe I'm different but I find it motivational and inspirational to see other people's art in various stages. It makes me want to create and anything that facilitates a creative atmosphere is a good thing. I could be mistaken in that feeling.

Lastly, I believe it's probably quite a bit easier for Rio to just add another Forum area than to try to integrate the Gallery section with the Forums. The only concern that I heard her voice was that she wanted to make sure the area would be used, which I believe it would. Obviously you are all welcome to agree or disagree with this. After all its only my opinion.

Celestial-Fox
08-03-2011, 09:33 PM
I just... don't even care anymore. >.> If the Sketchbook Section never materializes, no big deal. If it does, I just probably won't use it. /shrug

CypressDahlia
08-04-2011, 10:38 AM
No offense Seefy, but sketchdumping in private kind of defeats the purpose of being part of an art community.

ClockHand
08-04-2011, 10:47 AM
The Sketchbook Area would just be an area that allows for artists to post any of their art, without the expectation of critique or comment (unlike the Critique corner). Yes, you can do this with the Gallery, however, I think many view a "Gallery" as a place for finished works. Plus, as has been mentioned, the Gallery is not very well integrated with the forums and let's face it, most of us don't really look a whole lot at the Gallery. Looking for and following artists via the Gallery is not as easy or graceful as just looking through a forum thread.

Allow artist to post any of their art without expecting critic? Its sound like the Gallery. It will obviously take the place of the gallery, because the gallery doesn't work, and this idea takes the same objective as the Gallery. Please read the whole discussion.

A Sketchbook Area would also lower the bar and encourage newer artists in posting their art. Many new artists (and even some older artists) are afraid to put their work up on display. Sometimes these pieces are things that they've spent a lot of time on and it's difficult to put it up for all to discuss. Right now we have two options for these people - the Gallery where it most likely won't be seen, or the Critique Corner where the point of posting is for others to come and find the flaws in it. I don't think either of those choices are really ideal in this situation. A Sketchbook would fill this gap by allowing people to post their art where it will be more likely to be seen and where harsh critiques are less likely. It would allow them to build up their confidence.

Gallery work for what you are saying, so again, the problem the solution is not a sketchbook area, is that the gallery is not well implemented (and obviously the sketchbook area will take the place of the Gallery).

Having a Sketchbook Area would promote more posts because its not perceived as a potentially hostile area. Not saying the Critique Corner is hostile, however, the purpose of posting there is to receive critique and critiques are by default supposed to find and address problems or errors. Even the most well-intentioned critique can serve to shut down a new artist's desire to keep drawing.

A) It wouldn't promote more post's, it will be completely opposite, it will only promote to the same people keep getting the same post's. See how the critique corner is working.
B) If you stop drawing because someone has something to say about your work, then art is obviously not for you.

Maybe I'm different but I find it motivational and inspirational to see other people's art in various stages. It makes me want to create and anything that facilitates a creative atmosphere is a good thing. I could be mistaken in that feeling.

And this is related to have a sketchbook area because of.... what?

Lastly, I believe it's probably quite a bit easier for Rio to just add another Forum area than to try to integrate the Gallery section with the Forums. The only concern that I heard her voice was that she wanted to make sure the area would be used, which I believe it would. Obviously you are all welcome to agree or disagree with this. After all its only my opinion.

Easier =/= Better.
We have had a lot of mini forum and section's to see how those have failed. Doing more of those is just going to fill the forum with useless sections.

Please read the whole discussion, because we have talked about most of these points.

No offense Seefy, but sketchdumping in private kind of defeats the purpose of being part of an art community.

Reason why the private album/profile in the gallery is retarded. Still, the purpose of sketchdump work's for the Gallery better than doing another section (we just need to integrate the Gallery better).

CypressDahlia
08-04-2011, 01:48 PM
So we all pretty much hate the Gallery, huh. lol

GunZet
08-04-2011, 01:51 PM
I don't hate it, I just never use it.

nisaren
08-04-2011, 03:21 PM
I must admit, I got a little carried away with my last post. Although, I don't appreciate the combative and inflammatory way that you address my arguments. Tact can be a useful thing in debate and life in general.

So stepping back, I think we need to realize that the only important thing is the initial question posed.

Do you want a Sketchbook Area?

It's a simple question which deserves a simple answer. The question is not, "Do you think other people want it?", but whether you yourself want it. Debating opinion that can't be supported by fact is rather pointless and who are we to choose for everyone else on the site? So I would implore you to please just answer the question and leave the BS at the door. I shall do the same.

GunZet
08-04-2011, 03:28 PM
I can honestly do without it. My answer, Nope.

ClockHand
08-04-2011, 03:29 PM
We are not fighting about what "we want" or what "others want", we are discussing about if it's a good or a bad idea. And having this section, having the gallery and having the critic corner is just awful and will create the same old problems we have had all the time.

Also I don't hate the gallery, I have some stuffs uploaded in it, and it has some good features, but it has a lack of efficiency that its obvious.

ram
08-04-2011, 03:34 PM
well Rio was just worried if it will be used or not.
so far there are 12 yes in the vote, so i guess it's no doubt about it now that it will be used.

i don't see it a bad idea, i just don't need it that's all.

edit: and yeah i do agree with nisaren that you used too much harsh words on his comments.

ClockHand
08-04-2011, 03:52 PM
well Rio was just worried if it will be used or not.
so far there are 12 yes in the vote, so i guess it's no doubt about it now that it will be used.

So 12 votes are a true representative of the complete opinion of the forum. Because so far we have 19 votes in total and I'm pretty sure this is not even the 20% of all the users on the forum and on the gallery. So I don't know if 12 "yes" as a true representation of the forum, and not even represent if is a need.

edit: and yeah i do agree with nisaren that you used too much harsh words on his comments.

I'm kinda blunt, deal with it. Most of his comments didn't show that he read the discussion we had and how the idea of a sketchbook forum is not necessarily good (is better to make the gallery work than make another section that it's gonna be dropped away).

Celestial-Fox
08-04-2011, 05:22 PM
It seems that you're saying, though, that right now we don't currently have a place to sketchdump, which is why people want the Sketchbook Section. However, we are still an art community now, are we not? I may be misunderstanding, but I just don't see why we need a Sketchbook Section. People's current dumpings (which is fine) seem to find appropriate locations as it is, right?

I'm not saying I don't want to see sketch dumps or that I don't like them. Both of those are completely untrue. But I'm just saying that the current system is perfectly fine for accommodating such things.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, you know?

toast
08-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Do you want a Sketchbook Area?

It's a simple question which deserves a simple answer. The question is not, "Do you think other people want it?", but whether you yourself want it. Debating opinion that can't be supported by fact is rather pointless and who are we to choose for everyone else on the site? So I would implore you to please just answer the question and leave the BS at the door. I shall do the same.

How is this all BS? You made a thread about this in the general discussion, therefore everyone goes to discuss it. This is what people do when topics like this are brought up, it is discussed until a good conclusion comes up that everyone can agree with. If all you wanted were yes's and no's, you should have posted this in the chatterbox and asked Rio to lock it except for the poll.

CypressDahlia
08-04-2011, 09:42 PM
We don't have a place to sketchdump, though. If you're talking about the Gallery, it lacks integration, does not suit the purpose of sharing art with many people at once, can easily be disorganized and does not auto-update with new posts. That's why following an artist's progress, which is the purpose of a sketchdump, is a hassle and is not particularly community-friendly if we use the Gallery. It's definitely broken and needs some tweaking, in that respect.

Yes, we are an art community. But having your work stashed away in private means you are not effectively part of that community. Being part of it is about observing other peoples' work and vice versa. How many members do we have whose art does not get seen because they either don't post on the forums or post exclusively in the Gallery? If you click the Gallery tab, you will be presented with thousands of pieces of artwork, which is a hundred fold the volume of work presented in the actual CC. They use up bandwidth, without actually being part of anything we do as a community.

Besides, the nature of the current CC keeps most artists from dumping there. Honestly, if I had posted every sketch I'd made since I last updated, that thread would be well over 30 pages long, with very little to comment on. In other words, it would clutter up my thread with pieces that aren't, because of their loose and experimental nature, worth commenting on. And I often seen artists marking pieces like this in their CC threads -- "it's just a sketch, not really for critique" -- because they don't really have anywhere else to put them without hiding them away in their Gallery.

Evidence of this: Right now the closest thing we have to a sketchdump section is the "let's exercise" thread, which is kinda like a group sketchdump. The members who post there are far more prolific in that thread than they are even in their own art threads.