PDA

View Full Version : New Last Airbender Series (trailer included)

Pages : 1 [2]

ClockHand
05-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Lets see, at the moment I haven't seen anything wrote by the producer, creators, screen writers, and so on. So I really don't know if its true, but if its, its pretty retarded.

Sylux
06-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Well, Bya, you got your Bloodbending. Happy now?

jaidurn
06-04-2012, 12:04 PM
THIS EPISODE. MAN. ALL OF THESE FEELS. I'm totes going with Tarlok is Amon. I JUST HAVE TO. Like I legit am hooked on this series now.

Matt
06-04-2012, 06:30 PM
I usually refrain from saying things like "I can't wait for such and such" but I can't wait for the next episode.

I hope T... ah, should probably spoiler this. Episode 8 spoilers:
I hope Tarlok isn't Amon. I hope he just legitimately wants to protect the city and has a really good reason behind it. This being reminiscent of the American 20's, I remember McCarthyism was still officially 30 years away, but apparently it started in the early 1900's. Obviously, Tarlok's actions are McCarthyism, but less accurate (I've read that McCarthy at least accused mostly communists. Mostly). I'm interested in seeing how the writers take this one. In the original series, they took the middle ground on a lot of topics. I suppose this could be accomplished by, like I said, just keeping Tarlok out of vast, plainly evil conspiracies and making him just a darker shade of gray than Korra (I love that she actually acknowledges, albeit grudgingly and even while lying to Tarlok, that she's similar to him. And I love that the writers didn't come out and say this, but left it in Korra's faltering reaction to Tarlok's accusation).

Considering the flashbacks to the original Team Avatar, he's likely part of something. I hope it's good. Either make me hate this guy to death while mostly understanding his motives or just let me understand his motives with out hating him. Or do something completely unexpected, like in Last Airbender.

One last thing: adult Sokka and Toph--I need to see more of them.

Celestial-Fox
06-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Matt, did you finish AtLA? :'D!!!

Also, waaah, I was camping this weekend, so I missed the new Korra episode! Buuuuut Nick put it on the website tis morning, and I just finished. (:

I don't know why they are surprised that bloodbending can't happen outside of a full moon. If you're a concentrated/powerful enough bender, you can pretty much bend anything at any time—hence Toph's creation of metalbending: skill and determination.

Also, I know Korra has trying to make a point to Tarrlok about being the Avatar in the last scene, but why on earth didn't she at least waterbend to protect herself? It's probably her ridiculous pride. /facepalm

Also: WHY ARE KORRA'S CLAVICLES DRAWN SO LOW? IT BOTHERS ME.

Matt
06-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I finished it. I've been meaning to email you back, but wanted to get completely caught up in Korra and write more of my story to make it worth your reading time.

Details in the email. Incoming in about an hour.

Byakuran
06-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Just watched episode 9, so 23th is a one hour season finale.

Does anyone know when the second season starts of korra? (Also the last season i think)

Yes Sy i am, and im with CF on the whole bloodbending without a full moon.
Also TBH. I found amon quite, charming this episode. He has like this cool-vibe or am i just being uber shoujo-ish.

Matt
06-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Finished episode 9. Thoughts:

I'm not surprised. This being Avatar, I assumed the stuff I questioned up until now would be resolved or explained in an awesome way like in The Last Airbender. But nope. Tarlok really was a big baddie who wanted to rule the city, with no care for the people at all. Amon did seem pretty cool this episode, especially plowing through Tarlok's blood bending.

On that note, that's one thing I actually have a problem with. How are the two blood benders able to blood bend entire groups of people at a time? The first guy bent an entire courtroom full of people, including Toph and Aang. Yeah, there can be powerful benders, but why is blood bending specifically so overpowered? And speaking of overpowered, Amon better have a simply amazing explanation for how he's able to walk through bending that subdued numerous high-level benders.

I liked episode 8, but as a pseudo-conclusion to 8, this episode is disappointing. Like, where did the original writers go? Their plots were so much less predictable, and their characters were so much better than "I take over Republic City, lol."

I'm skeptical now, but I'm still holding onto a bit of hope that the writers have made the first 9 episodes really linear for a reason.

Not a spoiler: I just read that Legend of Korra was supposed to be a bit darker than Last Airbender. I'm not seeing it. Last Airbender had some moments that made me wonder just how it was aired on Nickelodeon. Korra? Not even close. It feels like it's trying to be edgier, but it's just not hitting that goal.

Oh. And Korra's clavicles. Yeah, they're way too low, and I think that's because the artists just want them to be shown whenever possible, probably to drive the "Korra is a strong female" point home. Not really necessary, and I'm thinking there are other reasons.

EDIT: Checked the Wiki. There are going to be 12 episodes:

The Legend of Korra
Book One: Air (气)
101. "Welcome to Republic City"
102. "A Leaf in the Wind"
103. "The Revelation"
104. "The Voice in the Night"
105. "The Spirit of Competition"
106. "And the Winner Is..."
107. "The Aftermath"
108. "When Extremes Meet"
109. "Out of the Past"
110. "Turning the Tides"
111. "Skeletons in the Closet"
112. "Endgame"

Bacon_Barbarian
06-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Zuko's old VA is suppose to show up in Skeletons in the Closet.

Celestial-Fox
06-10-2012, 07:43 PM
How are the two blood benders able to blood bend entire groups of people at a time?
I'm pretty sure the Water Tribe lady from ATLA bloodbent several people at once to make her "puppets dance," but I could be mistaken.

why is blood bending specifically so overpowered? And speaking of overpowered, Amon better have a simply amazing explanation for how he's able to walk through bending that subdued numerous high-level benders.
There's only one way to override bloodbending, and it's to be a bloodbender—that is, waterbender—yourself (Katara was the only one who could stop the old Water Tribe woman from manipulating her friends because she had to use bloodbending to override it). I actually suspected that Amon might be some sort of bender, and this just brings the point home (at least to me). The way that Amon kept walking through Tarrlok's bloodbending sugests that he's a bloodbender himself. That, and I assumed in order to take someone's bending away, you had to be a bender yourself (hence why Aang had to be 100% determined before he could take Fire Lord Ozai's bending away; otherwise Aang's bending would be taken away instead of Ozai's).

Amon is probably a chaotic-type character, who, in his days of bending, abused his powers beyond his control. He could have gone through some sort of transformation and instead used his passion to eliminate bending: the thing that destroyed his self and caused damage to others. I think this is what makes him able to recognize the evil in Tarrlok, and though Amon is mislead in his methods, he is still able to recognize that Tarrlok needs to be stopped. This backstory gives him room to be more of a Zuko-like character.

Somewhat serious, perhaps crack theory: Amon is Katara's son (and therefore Aang's son), and that's why he's both a ridiculously powerful bender and able to be a bloodbender. It's known that Tenzin has siblings, but I don't recall if it was ever said if they were all airbenders or not.

All that being said, Katara needs to come out of hiding about being a bloodbender, come to Republic City, and kick some butt. (Note that Katara wasn't in the courtroom when Aang, Sokka, and Toph were bloodbent.) Perhaps Aang will show Korra a vision of Katara bloodbending to get the point across?

Also, yeah, for some reason, The Legend of Korra seems lighter than ATLA, even though the colors used in the show are darker. I think it's because the peripheral characters (Mako, Bolin, Asami, and even little Pabu) are more lighthearted than the ones involved in Avatar (Uncle Iroh, the Kiyoshi warriors, Katara, Sokka, Toph, etc).

Matt
06-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Ah, I see. I let my hatred of anything remotely overpowered get the better of me (for the record, I still blame shonen manga for that bias of mine). And yes, the water tribe lady in The Last Airbender did bend multiple people at once.

On another note:
I think I was too hasty in deciding I disliked Legend of Korra based on weaker writing. I did some thinking and remembered a technique I use myself later on in Naomi's Story: if there is an obvious villain, that opens up more space within a shorter time frame to have more good vs. good or gray vs. gray conflict among the "good" characters, and more evil vs. evil and dark gray vs. dark gray between the "bad" characters. As it stands in Legend of Korra, a rather large conflict between what's-her-name, Mako, and Korra is being set up, and Mako's behavior hints, at least to me, that the outcome of this love triangle is not going to be as simple as it seems. Also, I don't think Tarlok is going to give up because he lost his bending. Based on his personality so far, and how much he did without his bending, he's got more tricks up his sleeves.

That said, and some of my faith in this show restored, I still find it kind of funny that Legend of Korra is supposed to be darker than Last Airbender, unless the ending turns out more bleak than I'm expecting.

And on a completely unrelated note, I saw Bacon's post and thought, all right, I'll check back tomorrow. Then Seefy posted and I was all happy face.

Celestial-Fox
06-10-2012, 08:29 PM
I think the only reason why I dislike The Legend of Korra is because its miniseries status. The shorter a series/story is, the less time there is for character concentration. Korra, in order to stay engaging to audiences, is largely plot-based instead of character-based (which I'm not used to in ATLA). I kiiinda prefer character-based stories more, but yeah. It's not a bad thing, per se, but it's just different. I think that season 2 will have more character development, especially as Korra becomes more spiritual and starts to learn airbending.

I just walked in on my dad watching Korra. I asked him why he was watching it and he gave me this indignant look and said, "Because I /like/ it." welp.
^ LOL
Her dad is like 60-something years old. XD

Mr_Liebe
06-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Zuko's old VA is suppose to show up in Skeletons in the Closet.

Dante "Rufio" Basco? Awesome.

Celestial-Fox
06-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Dante Basco is a really cool person because of the involvement he has with his fans. He likes to talk to them, take their suggestions, and such. It's so great.

ClockHand
06-11-2012, 12:39 AM
I think the only reason why I dislike The Legend of Korra is because its miniseries status. The shorter a series/story is, the less time there is for character concentration. Korra, in order to stay engaging to audiences, is largely plot-based instead of character-based (which I'm not used to in ATLA). I kiiinda prefer character-based stories more, but yeah. It's not a bad thing, per se, but it's just different. I think that season 2 will have more character development, especially as Korra becomes more spiritual and starts to learn airbending.

FLCL only has 6 episodes and its perfect.

Celestial-Fox
06-11-2012, 05:29 AM
FLCL also has a really different storytelling style. The Lorax is like 20, maybe 30 pages and is perfect.

ClockHand
06-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Yeah, its different. But they accomplished to make a solid story in 6 episodes. The problem with korra, is that they thought in the same formula for Aang story but now in one season of 10 episodes, which is ridiculous. If you are making a serie of 10 episodes, then you must know what you can do and how you can do it to make a solid story.

There is one episode left, and we all know how its going to end. We all know that the love triangle is horrible (if you don't, just think that there is one episode left) and that Korra still hasn't made any statement that made us back up her actions.

The serie is not horrible by any mean, but its neither great, it just stand on mediocrity and really, the 9,3 on imdb for the serie only stands because of the fans.

jaidurn
06-11-2012, 04:13 PM
Guys, I really like the animation and that's just what's bringing me back right now. Episode 8 was great, but the follow up kinda killed my excitement.

Mr_Liebe
06-11-2012, 04:17 PM
That's one thing that Avatar always had, great animation.

Matt
06-11-2012, 04:36 PM
There is one episode left
Wait, but...

The Legend of Korra
Book One: Air (气)
101. "Welcome to Republic City"
102. "A Leaf in the Wind"
103. "The Revelation"
104. "The Voice in the Night"
105. "The Spirit of Competition"
106. "And the Winner Is..."
107. "The Aftermath"
108. "When Extremes Meet"
109. "Out of the Past"
110. "Turning the Tides"
111. "Skeletons in the Closet"
112. "Endgame"
Am I missing something here? If there's only one episode left, yeah, the writers are gonna have a heck of a time trying to deliver a satisfying ending.

That aside, 10 episodes is actually a perfect setup for a strong story. Me and Kierra were actually talking about that awhile back. I'll see if I can find the email...

Found it:

And typically good plots had about 10 scenes (like checkpoints, not necessarily 10 settings that had to be used one at a time), where as B-movie plots had about 15 or more. The more scenes there were, the harder the story was to follow.
Twelve episodes isn't bad, and there certainly aren't more than fifteen major plot points in Korra (yet). I don't think there are even ten yet. Frankly, though, Korra's story isn't set up in a way that a tenth episode could deliver a satisfying ending, even if they employ the use of the Hollywood Formula.

Also:

I just walked in on my dad watching Korra. I asked him why he was watching it and he gave me this indignant look and said, "Because I /like/ it." welp.
Not too surprising. I only started watching Last Airbender a month or so ago and was/am completely in love with it. Isn't the mark of a good all-ages story its ability to be enjoyed by all ages, not just young kids?

Celestial-Fox
06-11-2012, 04:54 PM
KYAAAGH, MY NAME. EVERYWHERE
/facepalm

Anyway, I'll get over myself:

Am I missing something here? If there's only one episode left, yeah, the writers are gonna have a heck of a time trying to deliver a satisfying ending.
There's only one episode, but If it's anything like ATLA, it's split up into two part ad listed as separate chapters in the book. That's my best guess, at least.

And lol, yeah, I think that Avatar (though I'm iffy about Korra) can be enjoyed by all ages. Just the way he defended himself was funny. XD

ClockHand
06-11-2012, 05:09 PM
About the 10 episodes: As I don't have information on more episodes and I only know that some sites already say it has 10 episodes, I had to believe that there is one episode left. Which is crazy, as the latest episode was just the Entering in the Abyss, which mean that the battle and the going back to the normal world must be really squished in the final episode.

Celestial-Fox
06-11-2012, 05:15 PM
I watched it on Nick this weekend, and they said it was the season finale next week, so I feel inclined to believe that. . . .

ClockHand
06-11-2012, 05:33 PM
then this is truly the darkest time line.

Celestial-Fox
06-11-2012, 05:37 PM
Agreed. They have to pull something miraculous to make the season finale anything less than forced.

Matt
06-11-2012, 07:09 PM
My hope for this show is at an all-time low, though I'd love it if they managed to pull off something great for the finale. But wait, if Zuko's voice actor was supposed to appear in episode 11 of season 1, and there are only 10 episodes in season 1, does that mean we don't get Zuko's voice actor?

Celestial-Fox
06-11-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm still holding onto the fact that the 11 titles posted are still in place; the last episode will just be two-in-one.

ClockHand
06-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Probably, or it will be longer. It will still be hard to gave a consistent ending, but at least they are going to have more time to do it.

Bacon_Barbarian
06-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Zuko showed up today and we still have a 2 part finale next weekend I think?

Celestial-Fox
06-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Yep, the 23rd~

Byakuran
06-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Zuko showed up today and we still have a 2 part finale next weekend I think?

That wasn't zuko, but it was his voice actor. I think it was his son...? (and his second child, since his daughter is the firelord right now)

The finale is 2 eps right, 1 hour finaleeee wheee...

Also
Mako is a big douche.

ClockHand
06-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Mako is the biggest asshole supported in a serie and Korra is the crappiest "I'm a strong woman" ever. But that being said, fuck good that this episode showed more real human emotions, it didn't exploit those as much as we would want (Tenzin new baby is a big deal, Tenzin family as the last air benders and friend sacrifice, which is a "fuck yeah" as they finally sacrifice a important character; those subjects are extremely import ants and made more human the characters), but we all know that there are 2 more episodes, making this a pretty ok episode. I feel that, this kind of emotional problems, are the ones to be presented at the beginning, or close to it, not in the end, as we must care about the characters before the story reach its climax.

Zuko's voice was really weird, as the character looks way older than Zuko, and it kinda doesn't fit.

Bacon_Barbarian
06-17-2012, 03:52 AM
That wasn't zuko, but it was his voice actor. I think it was his son...? (and his second child, since his daughter is the firelord right now)

That's what I meant. Zuko's VA. I think it's his grandson actually. His son would have probably taken the throne had he had one.

Celestial-Fox
06-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Yeah, if it was Zuko's son, he would be Lin and Tenzin's age. So I'm guessing it's his grandson, too.

Matt
06-17-2012, 05:05 PM
He must have had his first kids pretty young, then. Either that or everyone else just waited awhile.

Is it just me or could the Mako/Asami relationship problem be resolved if they just sat down and talked for, like, thirty seconds? And why do characters in fiction never seem to do just that? In the middle of a large conflict, they have a subtle relationship issue that's slowly tearing them apart and will inevitably lead to a "startling" betrayal. I hope that's handled differently in the next episodes.

Bacon_Barbarian
06-17-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm pretty sure we know that Lin and Tenzin were had late. I think the creators said that Zuko's in his 80s. Tenzin and Lin are in their 40s or so. It's very much so possible that Zuko had kids before Toph and Aang did.

It definitely could, but that'd be no fun for all the crazy shippers. I also doubt that will be resolved in the finale.

zizi
06-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Mako is a douche, and a boring one at that.

Bolin forever.

Lin is my hero.

Korra and Asami should solve things by getting together and telling Mako where he can shove it.

Also, yeah, I think General Iroh II is most likely someone's grandson. The timeline works fine; some people do have kids early, and especially as a Firelord that was instated under such strife, Zuko and Mai would have been under pressure to produce an heir that would entirely nullify Azula's claim to the throne, and cement their rule.

Celestial-Fox
06-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Matt:

Well, as simple as that sounds, most real people aren't even that practical. I remember in class this semester, our guest speaker asked, "So, how have any of you given consent in physical relationships?"

Someone said, "Isn't that awkward, like a moment-ruiner? Having to ask for consent?"

I was the only one to raise my hand. I said, "Well, my boyfriend and I just sat down one day and talked about it. We asked each other what each of us are comfortable with, and we told each other where each of our boundaries were in that point of the relationship. Before we talked, though, whatever we did always was asked about beforehand. He asked me if it was okay for him to hug me, even, the first time. But after we talked about consent and what we're comfortable with, if one person wants to go further, they would have to ask if it was okay first."

The guest speaker said, "Wow, that's really good. Has anyone else done that?"

And it was totally silent. Not one single person had, though I was the youngest person in the room. Some people were over fifty years old, even, and it just shocked me that no one had had that conversation. It seemed so natural; it wasn't awkward or anything, and it only took about ten or fifteen minutes. Then it was all good, and we never had to worry about what the other person was comfortable with.

People suck at communication. I'm discovering that more and more as I get older. When something awkward is going on or whatever, a lot of people won't tackle it head-on. I'm not like that, because I think that a quick chat can solve most small probablems. 

I think that's exactly what's going on with Mako. He's not good with people. Think back to the first couple episodes. Mako was really sucky with communicating with Bolin about how he was uncomfortable with Korra around. Stuff like that. Mako sucks at talking to people about certain things, and though it could easily be resolved, he doesn't want to do that. And that does t really mean that there's bad writing in that department, because real people are like that too.

Zi:
And Zuko was more apt to have children sooner, considering that he was four or five years older than Aang.

ClockHand
06-17-2012, 06:54 PM
People suck at communication. I'm discovering that more and more as I get older. When something awkward is going on or whatever, a lot of people won't tackle it head-on. I'm not like that, because I think that a quick chat can solve most small probablems. 

welcome to the team. You are one of us now.

zizi
06-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Exactly, all of the above.

the fact he has Zuko's voice is going to really throw me off, though. I'm not sure how wise of a decision that was, but we'll see.

ClockHand
06-17-2012, 07:05 PM
the fact he has Zuko's voice is going to really throw me off, though. I'm not sure how wise of a decision that was, but we'll see.

If we talk about bad decisions made on this show, we have a long list of it; korra as a strong lead female character who have only shown how oblivious she is to others and her lack of ability to make a consistent mean full action against a villain, there is also the problem of real emotions and human problems, as we have seen so far the only really moment were you can feel empathy to the characters was on the latest episode, with Tenzin new baby and Lin sacrifice; and for plenty of others, the big deal is that the serie have made a lot of bad decision. So I think Zuko's voice is the less important of all.

zizi
06-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Oh, I agree, but I think the problem with casting Zuko's voice is one that- unlike the others- immediately and quite violently threw me out of the story and the characters. Hell, people are already calling Iroh II Zuko. It just makes the actual structure of the way the story is being told more transparent. I'm suddenly aware of the voice actor when I'm trying to concentrate on the new foxy character. This is a problem with the way the story is being told and thus is a different problem altogether from the story and character elements you named.

Matt
06-17-2012, 07:25 PM
@Seefy - I'm commenting on a relationship in a TV show having never been in one. The closest I came, neither me or the girl really said anything about liking each other. We just sat together and sort of... would gravitated be the word? So yeah, I see what you mean. I'm just a little annoyed that every single work of fiction involving a romance has to have a conflict formed by a misunderstanding between the lovers that persists till the end of work, where it's quietly resolved according to the Hollywood Formula by the lovers just talking to each other.

Yeah, people are terrible communicators (myself especially--just look at my emails, especially the rushed ones). I don't think it's unrealistic. I just think it's annoying, both in real life and in fiction (therefore, I will make every effort to make my emails less awkward).

ClockHand
06-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Oh, I agree, but I think the problem with casting Zuko's voice is one that- unlike the others- immediately and quite violently threw me out of the story and the characters. Hell, people are already calling Iroh II Zuko. It just makes the actual structure of the way the story is being told more transparent. I'm suddenly aware of the voice actor when I'm trying to concentrate on the new foxy character. This is a problem with the way the story is being told and thus is a different problem altogether from the story and character elements you named.

agree

Bacon_Barbarian
06-17-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't really think the VA thing needs spoilering, but I wish he had changed it a little. He should have some range as a professional, and it's cool having him back, but the exact same voice? It also doesn't suit someone that age. It barely fit the original character in the last season.

Celestial-Fox
06-17-2012, 10:47 PM
They could have at least digitally altered it, even if only to take the pitch down a couple steps.

Matt: yeah, how it's being dragged out is pretty annoying. DX Oh! And I should have an e-mail for you tomorrow or something; my classes are FINALLY rolling to an end—FOUR MORE DAYS.

ClockHand
06-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Okay just saw the end, I was expecting mediocrity, but this was horrible.

Bacon_Barbarian
06-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Funny. Most people I know, myself included, thought it was by and large amazing.

Byakuran
06-24-2012, 02:52 PM
A lot of things were rushed too much and didnt make sense. And i would've like it more if they freaking explained some things :l

ClockHand
06-24-2012, 03:00 PM
I don't know how you consider your bad taste and the one of your friends as "funny".

Why the final episode was a piece of bullshit? let's start in how taking bending from korra, but then creating a ex machina to gave her bending back is one of the worst things they could have done, not just that, but they gave korra the ability to gave bending backs, taking away the whole weight of action that Amon did. This just prove how little the writers were ready to make real sacrifices on the story, and how the lack of these sacrifices destroy the meaning of action from the character and obviously the empathy you feel. When Lin lost her bending was meaningful, not just because she was a character with a lot of spotlight, but she lost them for a good cause, now that she have her bending back, it make her action less of a sacrifice.

But you could argue "they didn't knew the avatar could gave bending", and I would just have to quote Amon as a kid who said "the avatar is the most powerful being" (not literal quote), which is true and why is so flawed to start a story with an almost full grown avatar. If Amon knew that the Avatar is unbeatable, then why would have he thought that his mimic on taking bending away would work? why he didn't thought the fact that if the avatar can take bending away, it can also gave it back? Or that if the avatar defeated his father, just entering the avatar state, what made him think that he could have won? The problem is that the whole story is around a flawed character who is the most OP being the world, against someone who basically did everything as a theater scene. The worst thing about this, is that Korra won with airbending, while Amon was still a full grown bloodbender.

Then we have Asami, Douchebag and Twat. How is possible that they have a emotional struggle and the best answer is "not now asami"? If everything, this is the best time to find what is going on. But okay, lets skip the horrible love triangle, and lets just say that the whole love story just teach us this, twats and douchebags are for each others, and any other character who was emotionally wounded mean nothing for us, making us, the equal douchebags and twats that these other 2 character are. If anything, Korra never was a strong female character, it was just a twat that only cared about her self, even in the end, everything was her "don't love me, because I can't bend anymore", what the deal with that? why not "don't love me, because we are just a bunch of assholes who wounded everyone"? The deal is, Korra, is the worst character ever, and the story was told in a way that, if we loved her, we would become as equally awful.

This critics can go forever, the whole episode 11 and 12 were just horrible.

Matt
06-24-2012, 03:55 PM
My downloads didn't even start when I tried to get 11 and 12, so I had to watch it on some site where it was horrible quality and cut out the last five minutes.

I find myself agreeing with Clock with just a bit of deviation (I find the last episodes mediocre, but not horrible). Korra losing her bending was a moment that even shocked me; I sincerely thought Mako would get a round of lightning off at the last second. Then, when she discovered airbending, I thought it made sense: Amon would have never faced an airbender before (his goons probably captured Tenzin's family). Therefore, would he know how to fight one? That said, I think he did lose a bit too easily. One could argue that he was weakened by Mako's lightning, but really? The final moment with them hugging in the tower is underwhelming at best because it didn't feel like a proper victory.

Now let's talk about Asami, and I think this is just about the only cliche this show broke: Asami ended up not betraying her friends to her dad. It kind of surprised me, but just like Amon's defeat, it was extremely underwhelming. I regret to say that I don't really understand why it was underwhelming. Maybe it was a lack of intensity in the fight? But really, that could be applied to any of the final episode's fights. Nothing was all that intense for some reason.

Next, there's Korra's lost bending. She reacts to it the way I thought she would, having been raised her whole life as the Avatar, the only person in the world who could master all four elements. So I understood her being upset about it. Rejecting her friends and running off to be alone, I don't think fit as well as a more humble response, considering the first time she was scared she hugged Tenzin and cried. That was a good moment that I thought was a good character development point for her, but despite a hotheaded personality, it just doesn't seem like running off to be alone was the right reaction. I can't really explain it. It just didn't work for me.

Now, getting her bending back. Since my Internet died on me and I didn't see the last 5 minutes, and given what Clock said, I agree. Like the rest of the final episode, restoring Korra's bending and giving her the power to give it back to others completely nullified the sacrifices everyone else made and removes any confidence I had that Korra was even nearly as good as Last Airbender.

Not horrible in my opinion, but very close. Of course, it's in the uncomfortable position of being watched just after Fellowship of the Ring, but I don't think that's too big a part of it.

Bacon_Barbarian
06-24-2012, 09:50 PM
I don't know how you consider your bad taste and the one of your friends as "funny".
Back 'atha.

I do not think Korra's regained bending was too bad. Tapping into her past lives and being able to energybend herself is fine. Doing it to others though does admittedly cheapen the act of them losing it in the first place, for Lin especially, but for the most part it's there to make the audience feel good. She's the Avatar. She can help people. She's doing her job. You've been ruined by learning how to analyze the writing. You need to be able to ignore that. Especially since, like it or not, this is being aimed at a younger audience.

Korra getting past bloodbending is sort of dumb, but as Matt pointed out, Amon has no experience fighting an airbender. Additionally he lost his acolytes. We all saw what happened when the Lieutenant came at him. While the Lt. was no mach for Amon any of his subordinates in the tanks ... That's another story.

I don't give two fucks about the shipping. Bolin will probably end up with Asami though. That's my prediction. They had a nice chemistry when they were together. I also fail to see how Korra is a douchebag. She was contemplating killing herself so that she could be reincarnated as a new avatar with access to all bending styles so she could help protect people. What a douchebag.

ClockHand
06-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Then, when she discovered airbending, I thought it made sense: Amon would have never faced an airbender before (his goons probably captured Tenzin's family).

Yes, he fought Tenzin before, and Amon's father is prove enough that you don't need to know other people bending to do bloodbending. Also weird that Lin destroyed every ship, still Tenzin got captured.

Now let's talk about Asami, and I think this is just about the only cliche this show broke: Asami ended up not betraying her friends to her dad. It kind of surprised me, but just like Amon's defeat, it was extremely underwhelming. I regret to say that I don't really understand why it was underwhelming. Maybe it was a lack of intensity in the fight? But really, that could be applied to any of the final episode's fights. Nothing was all that intense for some reason.

Asami is basically the best female character. She is indeed strong, independent, need no man, and she is emotional strong and knows what she wants. If you ask me, she is what Korra tried to be or pretend to be from the beginning. And I liked that she fought her dad (I knew she wouldn't betray anyone, because it was already to late on the story to do that), but the fight was poorly done in the mean that it was mostly her dad talking and she never gave any reply, any statement that proved his ideology was wrong. It wasn't a true moment of a daughter confronting his father to take him back, it was a moment of a dad trying to take back her daughter, but Asami was the most important character, not her father, and so it become a conflict between what we expected and what was delivered. This was probably the strongest point in a forest of weakness on the episode.

Next, there's Korra's lost bending. She reacts to it the way I thought she would, having been raised her whole life as the Avatar, the only person in the world who could master all four elements. So I understood her being upset about it. Rejecting her friends and running off to be alone, I don't think fit as well as a more humble response, considering the first time she was scared she hugged Tenzin and cried. That was a good moment that I thought was a good character development point for her, but despite a hotheaded personality, it just doesn't seem like running off to be alone was the right reaction. I can't really explain it. It just didn't work for me.

Korra reactions was from someone who was diagnosed with a lethal illness and had 3 days of life. Again, it just prove to well Amon's point without reafirming a new ideology that confront the ones of Amon. If she accepted her new status, if she said "you know, I'm going to be prove that bending is not that important, that I can still be the avatar, even so I just can airbend" it would be a prove not just for the people in the story, but also us, that being not able to bend is not a big deal, and its also something to embrasse without bullshiting others. Even so, she had friends, and they could have made the lord of ring "Bolin: You have my earth. Mako: You have my fire. and Asami: you have my skills". But again, the serie has only proved us how Amon was right, and never gave us an argument against his ideas

I do not think Korra's regained bending was too bad. Tapping into her past lives and being able to energybend herself is fine.

Yeah, its possible, cheap for my taste and annoying as it lost the weight on losing the bending.

She's the Avatar. She can help people. She's doing her job. You've been ruined by learning how to analyze the writing. You need to be able to ignore that. Especially since, like it or not, this is being aimed at a younger audience.

So your argument is basically "be ignorant and enjoy"? Also are you aware that Pixar's movies are aimed for kids, and still delivery powerful movie animations?

Korra getting past bloodbending is sort of dumb, but as Matt pointed out, Amon has no experience fighting an airbender.

Yes he have, he already fought Tenzu before, and he won. Also bloodbending for what I could see have nothing to do with "knowing how the other attacks", as you have complete control over their movements. Prove of this was his father who basically screw Aang (the only airbender at that moment) and who was only defeated because Aang entered in avatar state, which is OP ADMIN MOD Mode.

Additionally he lost his acolytes. We all saw what happened when the Lieutenant came at him. While the Lt. was no mach for Amon any of his subordinates in the tanks ... That's another story.

Another story not related to the problem.

I don't give two fucks about the shipping. Bolin will probably end up with Asami though. That's my prediction. They had a nice chemistry when they were together.

What chemistry? the same that Bolin have with Korra? The fact is that the writers put a romance story, but they didn't care to make the romance work. They didn't care about Asami, Bolin and so on. And this is awful, Korra and Mako are the example of Romeo and Juliet, two people that because of their hornyness practically sacrificed everyone. This is why Korra is a douchebag.

I also fail to see how Korra is a douchebag. She was contemplating killing herself so that she could be reincarnated as a new avatar with access to all bending styles so she could help protect people. What a douchebag.

Taking other person lover, doing reckless stuffs that put other people in danger, "bending is not bad, its cool", still not asking for forgiveness to Asami, who basically screw her entire life and took her boyfriend, etc. If you don't think Korra is an asshole, then you better check yourself. Also, thinking in killing herself is the biggest prove of her douchebaging, it just prove that she only cared about herself, that having no bending is equally to be death (which again, was the whole fight made by Amon against no bender discrimination), that she keep thinking that with no bending she deserve no one, and so on, suicide is completely selfish by every mean.

Matt
06-25-2012, 07:49 AM
I completely forgot that Amon fought Tenzin. Sorry about that.

Also, yeah, Korra is aimed at younger kids, but the problem seems to be it's only aimed at younger kids. Last Airbender was aimed at all ages. I still hold that there is a difference between "all-ages" media and "kids'" media. As Clock said, Pixar does all-ages movies wonderfully.

Becoming analytical about writing does make it more difficult to enjoy certain things, but if you can analyze a show's writing and not enjoy the show anymore, it's probably not worth your time. I analyzed Fellowship of the Ring for the entire day after I watched it. It was, and still is, one of my favorite movies of all time. I analyzed Korra, and at first, I liked it. I liked how the 20's setting was utilized and made interesting, but it soon became clear that the new writers were nowhere near Last Airbender's writers. This started with Korra's "intuition" telling her that Asami's dad was a bad guy all along, when his excuse was perfectly acceptable. Have I mentioned how much I hate "intuitive" characters who can "somehow know" when their friends are in danger, or if a plan will work, or if a misunderstanding is actually not a misunderstanding?

That's weak writing. Intuition is an easy (and easily identifiable) cop-out for actually giving characters working logic.

Mr_Henry
06-25-2012, 08:39 AM
"This started with Korra's "intuition" telling her that Asami's dad was a bad guy all along, when his excuse was perfectly acceptable."

You can actually see some of this in Last Airbender, close to the end of Book 2, when Jet was brainwashed by the Dai Li. After Toph finds out that neither Jet, nor the other freedom fighters were lying, Sokka quickly jumps to the conclusion that he was brainwashed? I mean he was right, but that's still a pretty big leap in logic. the only thing that bugged me in Korra was the season finale ending leading up to Korra getting her bending back. In short, there's a ton of bad writing in both shows, but Last Airbender showed the most between the two.

Celestial-Fox
06-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Yo, Matt, the recent Korra episodes are on Nickelodeon's website, and even all of the Avatar ones, too.

As far as this episode goes, I am

un
im
pressed

Also, why is it that the womanizer always wins. I'm not really a shipper, but I do say that someone should call Mako out about being a butthole for longer than a sentence. This love arc is going to kill me, because that's not what real love is like (and if this is a kids' show, then THIS IS A HORRIBLE EXAMPLE FOR LITTLE GIRLS TO FOLLOW).

I don't care about Bolin or Asami or whatever. It's just that I'm disappointed that this happened without at least an apology from Mako. If he was like, "Hey, I was a craphead, and my X/Y/Z reasoning was horrible, and I need o make it up to you both," then it'd be at least okay or passable. But this new development is just flat-out gross because it's a bad example for its target audience.