PDA

View Full Version : This Manga Needs More Love!

Rio
07-21-2011, 06:28 PM
This thread is for recommending under-the-radar manga (i.e. no popular series please!) that you love and you think others should read as well. Spread the love doods!

Something I've read recently: Aiki (18+ readers only) by Isutoshi. It's a martial arts manga with some comedy thrown in. The main character reminds me of Hiruma from Eyeshield 21 for those familiar with that series so no weak-willed main character here folks.

Give These Manga Some Love List:
A Girls (18+)
Aiki (18+)
Amazing Agent Luna
Angel Beats
Bambino! (18+)
Banana no Nana (18+)
Birdy the Mighty
B Reaction (18+)
Chii's Sweet Home
Crows (sequel is Worst)
Cage of Eden
Demon Eyes Kyo
Dorohedoro
Double Arts
Eternal Sabbath
A Fairytale for the Demon Lord
A Flame Inferno
Franken Fran (18+)
Hakuto no Ken
Hayate x Blade
Historie
Hoozuki no Shima
Id
Jiraishin (18+)
Jumbor
Kami-sama no Iutoori
Kingdom
Kongou Banchou
Legend of Tyr
My Balls (18+!!!)
My Girl
Mysterious Girlfriend X
My Two Wings (18+)
Nanatsu no Taizai (aka Seven Deadly Sins)
No Bra
Onani Master Kurosawa (18+)
Onepunch-Man
Otaku no Musume-San
Othello
Princess Resurrection
Ryuuroden
Saint Young Men
Shingeki no Kyojin
Shut Hell (18+)
Soten Kouro
Sumire 17-Sai (also Sumire 16-Sai)
Sun-Ken Rock
Tende Freeze (18+)
Teppu
Uchuu Kyoudai (aka Space Brothers)
Vampire Doll Guilt-Na-Zan
Yotsuba&!
____________ <---- your fave under-the-radar series here

BozeSG
07-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Jiraishin, i'm not sure if this is unpopular enough to be here, but i haven't seen any people who've read it (i'm sorry if it shouldn't be here). jiraishin is a detective seinen manga, and it is the best i've read so far. the amazing thing about it is not complex cases (it doesn't have any), it's the main character, unlike other detectives in mangas, the one here does not solve cases with brilliant deductions, he does it with lethal force. it's a really great manga, i recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

and another one is Eternal Sabbath. though it's not really that impressive IMO, it's a good read for people who like psychological stories...

jubeh
07-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Soten Kouro is the Romance of the Three Kingdoms with Cao Cao has the protagonist. It's a manga where a dude just says and does crazy shit non-stop yet nobody cares about it. What's the deal bros. You don't even have to be familiar with the three kingdoms.

Crows/Worst is a yankii manga about a school that is simply unconquerable. Dudes that would be banchos at other schools are just normal dudes here. To be the best fighter means to be the worst. Crows is the first series about an aloof dbag named Bouya who is absurdly strong but doesn't care about taking over schools or dumb shit like that. Worst is the next part about a country boy named Hana who ends up fighting his way to the top without even realizing it. There are also two prequel films called Crows Zero directed by Takashi Miike.

ClockHand
07-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Double Art.

Oh wait, it die because no one read it...

LVUER
07-22-2011, 06:42 AM
Hayate X Blade (read: Hayate Cross Blade). I think this one is a shonen manga, though all the characters are all girls (since the setting is an all-girl high school anyway). In this manga, it's all about action... a sword-fighting action to be exact. In this school, you could be a sword-bearer, someone who fight alongside with a partner, fighting against another pair in randomly-initiated time (marked by a giant bell ringing).

The main character is an idiot and a pervert (in this manga, it's a lethal combination). But she's also a very capable swordsman. What makes this manga unique is the (plenty) dose of good humor and sword-swinging action. Too bad it's not really popular. At least it still doesn't have any anime and not many people talk about this one in other forum (and this one).

Interesting to be noted that each chapter title have a word "idiot" in them. Here's some examples:
- "Idiocy Cannot Be Cured No Matter How Many Times You Try"
- "The Idiot Latecomer"
- "Companions in Idiocy"
- "Sins and Idiots"
- "Idiots Move Three Steps Forward and Two Steps Back"

Afrobit
07-23-2011, 12:59 AM
Double Art.

Oh wait, it die because no one read it...
:(
They cancelled a wonderful series by a wonderful artist/author.

SHINGEKI NO KYOJIN (currently topping the charts in Japan and for a good reason.)
Shut Hell
These are wonderful series that more people need to look at. Both are pretty violent, but it really adds to the intensity of their stories.

Bardic-Dragoon
07-23-2011, 05:54 AM
Something I've read recently: Aiki (18+ readers only) by Isutoshi.

Speaking of Isutoshi (fan of most of his stuff Aiki being the only dislike for me)

Tende Freeze (18+?)
Koyuki has the power to see the future, but she can only see the unfortunate things that happen to people. Until the day she meets Umehachi, a high school senior... Fanservice, mayhem, and hilarity ensues.
not anything great or life changing but rather funny and with a good ending.

Some other non-Isutoshi suggestions (i'd like to make some more of those but i feel like i might already be pushing it with some of these)

A Girls (18+)
Kazao lives at an orphanage on a seemingly deserted island with a handful of other kids. One night he dreams of being in a motorcycle accident, shortly after which his parents are found and he is sent to live with them. What follows is an interesting if sometimes bizarre mystery story.

MY BALLS (18+!!!)
When Kouhta in a drunken stupor stumbles into the middle of an epic battle between good and evil, a series of odd events sees the queen of demons sealed in his testicle. He must avoid releasing her for 30 days or else humanity is going to be destroyed. Bizarre, idiotic and insane, all in good ways. the ending is kind of cheesy though.

Hoozuki no Shima
After (i think) the death of their parents a boy and his blind little sister are sent to live on an a small orphanage on a picturesque island. However things seem to be much darker than they appear on this island and all the childrens lives may be astake.

Bambino! (18+)
Shogo Ban, a college student from Fukuoka, likes to cook. Thanks to the owner of the restaurant where he works part-time, he finds himself working at the line of Roppongi's best Italian restaurant, Trattoria Baccanale, and discovers that the real deal isn't quite as easy as he'd thought. The manga follows Ban as he struggles to keep up with the hectic workload and his co-workers, along with issues outside the kitchen like his relationship with his girlfriend Eri, who he left behind in Fukuoka.
I'll admit i haven't read it for the last 30 or so chapters (i think that where i left off) But this is a good Slice of Life Drama.

Mysterious girlfriend X
There is a new transfer student in Tsubaki's Class. Urabe Mikoto is generally antisocial, and sleeps through class breaks. One day, after hanging out with friends after class, Tsubaki goes to get his backpack and stumbles across Urabe still sleeping in the classroom. In waking her up he ends up tasting some of here drool and becomes addicted, what follows after is a bizarre and somewhat supernatural romance.

Onani Master Kurosawa (18+)
Everyday after school Kakeru Kurosawa sneaks into the mostly unused girls bathroom on the third floor of his school and well 'jerks it'. One day he's caught, and what follows is a tale of blackmail, love, loss, and redemption. Let's just say 'coming of age' never sounded so dirty.

Matt
07-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Banana no Nana, or Nana's Banana, is apparently somewhat like One Piece, but with a (mostly) girls cast, a heroine who uses banana superpowers, and a moe art style. Coming from someone who could never get into One Piece because of the oddball art style and characters, this is awesome, at least for me.

The storyline: Nana and her friend Ringo make a promise to be adventurers together when they get older. Then, Nana's dad disappears while on an adventure and the entire village starts to shun adventurers. Ringo is flamed for her dreams, and over a few years, conforms to the villagers' demands. The story starts when both girls are 16, and Nana wants to go on an adventure to find the land of Oz (sound familiar?). Ringo refuses at first, and then one of the powerful people in the village floods Nana's house and tries to kill her as she leaves. Chaos, bananas, moe, and fanservice ensue (though, I really didn't notice the fanservice; too busy looking at cute faces to pay attention to panties or anything like that).

There are only 5 chapters out so far, and apparently no one knows where the raws are, either. I hate it when that happens.

Rio
07-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Awww, you don't like Aiki? Ah well - to each their own. Here's another one:

Kangou Banchou
The main character, Akira Kangou, is trying to foil the "23 District Project" which involves "banchou" (a gang leader/boss) from 23 districts of Tokyo fighting for the right to control Japan. He unwittingly becomes a banchou of one of the districts and his plight escalates as he gets deeper into fighting (and defending from) other banchou's, trying to find the people responsible for the project and stopping it. This is a good old beat-em up, martial arts, action manga. Very little romance. Jokes here and there. Lots of interesting characters, abilities, and did I mention fighting?

LVUER
07-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Why is that some people have to be sooooo big in Kongou Banchou? What did they eat to be that big, ultra-milk?

18+ topic (and spoiler):
And how that giant man could have children from a normal sized woman? If you know what I mean...

Rio
07-23-2011, 09:53 PM
Why is that some people have to be sooooo big in Kongou Banchou?Here's a new concept: Suspension of belief. /sarcasm

A lot of things happen in manga that are not realistically possible. Most pull it off by calling it fantasy, brush 'em off as super-human or other things. If you want something more realistic, go read a manga like Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru. :|

Bardic-Dragoon
07-25-2011, 04:37 AM
Awww, you don't like Aiki? Ah well - to each their own.

It's not that i don't like it, moreso that it just feels too different from what i'm used to out of Isutoshi so i have trouble really getting into.

Anyways more lesser known but good (IMO) series that i somehow forgot in my lst post.

Otaku no Musume-San

Kouta is prime example of an Otaku; He plays dating sims, collects anime figures, the works. Unbeknownst to him he has a nine year old daughter, Kanau. As Kouta tries to learn to be a father, Kanau learns to deal with having an otaku for a father. A Slice of Life comedy with occasional bits of drama, It does have some WTF moments that can drag on but it's over all good.

My Two Wings (18+)

Hiromi's cousin Makoto is moving in with her and she can't wait. When a tall and very pretty girl shows up at the door Hiromi wonders why she remembers 9 years ago Makoto being a boy, even having seen his 'parts'. It turns out Makoto is a hermaphrodite. Now the sheltered Makoto must deal with average high school life, all while keeping her gender a secret. An offbeat high school romance/drama whose ending falls a little flat but has a great ride up until that point.

Historie

A Historical Manga by Iwaaki Hitoshi that follows the life of Eumenes, a well known Secretary and General for Alexander the Great. The early chapters are the highlight as Eumenes' childhood is largely unknwon giving the author free reign, but it still manages to be very good as you get into the more historically constrained parts of the tale.

No Bra

Masao Kataoka is an average high shool student who has just gotten a new roommate, a cute girl named Yuki Nomura. Yuki is very glad to be living with her childhood friend Maa-kun, though Masao doesn't remember Yuki. More pressing than that is that Yuki is actually a cross dresser. Now Masao is left questioning his sexuality, while also trying to figure out if he is or isn't yuki's childhood frined Maa-kun. and that's all before yuki starts going to school with him. Another High school romance/drama with an interesting hook.

Chii's Sweet Home

The stories of the day to day life of Chii, a lost kitten taken in by a young couple and their toddler. A slice of life comedy with a few heart wrenching dramatic moments.

Othello (by Ikezawa Satomi)

Yaya’s high school friends haven’t been very nice. They call her “Yaya the cry-ya! Yaya the misfi-ya!” But no matter how badly they act, Yaya is just too naïve and trusting to believe the worst of her friends. Hard-rocking, butt-kicking Nana is just the girl to grab hold of Yaya’s timid demeanor and turn it upside down. Nana exposes Yaya’s “friends” as slime bags, doles out punishment, and does it all with style. Can there be anything that terminally shy Yaya and hyper-confident Nana have in common? Well, for one thing, they’re the same person.
An interesting Shoujo series, kind of hard to describe in more detail than the copy paste above.

My Girl (by Sahara Mizu)

5 years ago the love of Kazama Masamune's life left to study abroad. Now at age 23 Kazama has lost contact with her, but still carries a torch for her. When he hears of her death, he attends the funeral where her learns that she had a five year old daughter, and he's the father. A slice of Life Drama about a man getting used to having a 5 year old daughter.

Saint Young Men
What if Jesus and Buddha were living on Earth in modern times? What if they shared an apartment in Japan? Saint Young Men is a humorous manga about the daily lives of Jesus and Buddha, with each chapter focusing on some element of modern life, such as Disneyland, rush hour on the train, Christmas, the public pool, carnivals, and more.
a very odd couple like comedy that works surprisingly well without being (overly, i mean the basic premise is arguably sacrilegious) offensive to religion in spite of the large potential to be.

Expect to see at least one more post from me, there are still a few more manga i want to post here, but slow updates for the translation mean i've lost the thread of whats happening/why they are good.

Outcast
07-25-2011, 10:03 AM
I was reading no bra, forgot about it though. I love what I've so far.

Rio
07-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Finished Banana no Nana - :thumbs up:
Currently reading Worst :thumbs up:, Shut Hell :thumbs up:, Crow :jury still out - only read one or two chapters - got stuck reading Worst :P :
I started Hayate x Blade awhile back but forgot about the series - will continue after I'm done with Worst.
Double Arts was ok, imo. (I think Kingdom Hearts when I see the art in this series - must be the hair)

Anyone else reading recommendations from here?

Chi's Sweet Home is the cutest, most adorable kitty manga evah. I can't believe it didn't come to mind but yeah - read it! It's up there with Yotsuba&!.

Yotsuba&!
A slice-of-life story of a five-year-old girl, her father (and his friends) and neighbor. Comedy. If anything, just read it for Danbo (aka Cardbo) - the cardboard box robot.

redmagnumx1
07-25-2011, 05:31 PM
and gangsta as well top notch manga as well as gekkoh and my favourite manga ever Sun-Ken Rock.
aiki really interesting and very funny

Tora
07-25-2011, 10:32 PM
It's more of a shoujo but it's very funny. There's very cute girls and hot hot hot guys. It's also complete. Some might of heard of it... I think it's kinda old.

Vampire Doll Guilt-Na-Zan. (AKA Vampire Doll).
Guilt-Na-Zan is a vampire aristocrat who was sealed into a cross by Kyouji's ancestor more than 100 years ago. Now Kyouji has revived him--although his soul was resurrected into a cute female doll and can only transform into his real figure when he sucks blood from Kyouji's sister Tonae... But when you combine Goth clothes and hot vampires, slowly but surely everyone will start to feel like one big family!
- taken from mangafox

O know I know I know "ANOTHER Vampire book!" that's what you're thinking right? Well it's hilarious. Guilt-na is over rated. It's the other characters like Vincent, Dune, Hugo and Dante that make the story. Also Kyouji and his older brother "Night Veil" are incredibly amusing in the way they fight.
The art style is simply beautiful as well.

jubeh
07-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Seconding bardic dragoon. Saint Young Men is brilliant.

Evil_Cake
07-25-2011, 11:02 PM
no bra is horrible

Outcast
07-26-2011, 02:14 AM
Opinions

Arashi500
07-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Princess Resurrection. The anime was absolutely atrocious, but the manga is good, with a nice Gothic fantasy kitchen sink, with a cool premise.

Rio
07-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Here's another one:

Franken Fran (18+)
"Fran can make anyone into anything, raise the dead, switch heads and bodies, and give you those eyes that you've always wanted. But do you actually want them? Is it a good thing to raise the dead? Do the ends justify the means? And does Fran care?" Each chapter is a story in itself but you will see progression of the characters and their backgrounds as you read the stories. Not recommended for those with weak stomachs.

Kokoro_Hane
07-29-2011, 06:01 PM
All of the manga I think needs more love is self-published ones XD!!! But as far as professional ones, I'd have to say Amazing Agent Luna. This is a pretty good OEL series released under Seven Seas Manga. I've read 5 volumes so far (need to read 6-7) and I am eagerly awaiting the prequel series Amazing Agent Jennifer!

Synopsis:
Her name is Luna, and she's the perfect secret agency. Grown in a lab from the finest genetic material, she has been trained since her birth fifteen years ago to be the U.S. government's ultimate espionage weapon. But now, she has been given an assignment that will test her abilities to the max - High School!
Her mission: to pose as a high school student at Nobel High and uncover a sinister plot engineered by her arch nemesis, Count Von Brucken. But the one thing she has not been trained to handle her own feelings. Especially when she starts making friends, rivals, and crushing big time on bad boy Jonah, son of the evil Count Von Brucken himself!
(From Amazing Agent Luna omnibus 1 back cover).

MiguelAndrew
07-31-2011, 11:09 AM
I finish reading MyBalls(+18)last year. I like the art :cat_nosebleed:, and the story is pretty hilarious and has a (for me) chicky ending. Its another twist of how a human play a role on a heaven and hell fight.:cat_yahoo:

ClockHand
07-31-2011, 09:22 PM
A Fairytale for the Demon Lord, by KIM Yong-Hwan.

A mixture of medieval fantasy, Nordic mythology and cyberpunk.

Regantor
08-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Here's another one:

Franken Fran (18+)
"Fran can make anyone into anything, raise the dead, switch heads and bodies, and give you those eyes that you've always wanted. But do you actually want them? Is it a good thing to raise the dead? Do the ends justify the means? And does Fran care?" Each chapter is a story in itself but you will see progression of the characters and their backgrounds as you read the stories. Not recommended for those with weak stomachs.

This is series is seriously sick, but damn witty and hilarious. The funny thing about it is that it really does use guro hentai logic to screw with you, but never quite crosses that boundary of author self-satisfaction... Recommend it myself, if you have a really distorded sense of humour and a really private method of getting it. :p

BozeSG
08-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Dorohedoro (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorohedoro), THE most unique manga i've ever read. it's done by Q hayashida, who used to be tsutomu nihei's assistant (the art is a bit similar too). sadly, no one has ever heard of this manga's epicness... i just couldn't stop reading it after i picked it up...

Regantor
08-09-2011, 05:44 PM
I've read Dorohedoro. I could even see this guy (girl?) becoming the next Nihei, even. :333

"QUICKLY, BREADS! I'M TOO EXCITED!"

BozeSG
08-09-2011, 06:28 PM
lol, i thought she was a guy at first because of her name but she's not... and yeah, with dorohedoro nearing it's finish, i can't wait to see her next work... dorohedoro is just... unique!!!

Sylux
08-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Bleach

Evil_Cake
08-10-2011, 11:24 PM
no

Sylux
08-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Hey I was jk man I just like the anime anyways :(

BozeSG
08-11-2011, 03:35 AM
I actually agree, bleach has got to be the only anime where 80&#37; of the people in it's fanclub hate it (though it's mostly because they don't understand what they are reading and they call it full of plotholes). i'm not saying it's the best thing ever, but it atleast deserves more recognition.

Sylux
08-11-2011, 04:00 AM
Well Bleach and Naruto are going to be hated because they're inherently non-ingenious manga. Compare this to something like Bakuman, Shin-Chan or Gintama and there's a different field we're playing on. Those are enjoyable manga with an air of freshness or fond familiarity to them. Also, despite what people may want to think, Death Note and Code Geass are on the same playing field as Naruto and Bleach, even though the guy who did Death Note did Bakuman. I don't read much manga, so I don't know what most of the things in this thread, but I think that's just a testament to their unpopularity.

Never read the manga, but since we don't have an anime version of this thread:
-Kenichi: History's Strongest Disciple
-Birdy The Mighty
-Hokuto no Ken

Rio
08-11-2011, 06:24 PM
I think that's just a testament to their unpopularity.I don't know about calling them unpopular. Most of the stories that were recommended do have followings and a few that I've already read have gone well past 100 chapters and are still ongoing; they're just not as widely known as Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, and so on. It's like comparing the popularity of Harry Potter to any other fantasy book out there for teens. Just because they aren't in the lime-light doesn't mean that they're not being consumed and appreciated by someone else.

Hmmm - Kenichi's "popular" imo. I don't think it needs any more love than it does now.

Sylux
08-11-2011, 07:13 PM
It's only popular because of FUNimation... I've never seen it in a bookstore here, and I've lived in 4 cities and regulared all the Barnes & Nobles. Don't anymore, but that's cuz they closed in my city.

Portogas
08-12-2011, 12:09 PM
My problem is that, as soon as I read a manga and finish reading it I forget it after a couple of months! Not the story line but the name of the manga.... :cat_teardrop:

back to topic; Uhmm I think that these manga's need more love

- "ID" Interesting plot, can be a bit difficult to get the entire story but magnificent drawings!

- "Legend of Tyr" it has a fantasy, adventure plot just like ID although the story has it's own uniqueness.

- " B reaction" martial arts, 18 + if you have read Unbalance x Unbalance you will see some similarities.

- " Cage of Eden " one of my Favorite manga of all time, the story line is stunning and exciting, it's almost impossible to predict what's going to happen next. Although it has some popularity the manga it self is not translated weekly, that's why I think it lacks the love it fairy deserves!

- " A flame inferno " If you've read " Legend of Maian " or " Freezing " and found it to your liking. I advice you to read this manga. The artist is absolutely magnificent and one of my personal roll models. Not only does he draw multiply manga, but he also has different styles for almost each manga. A flame inferno is not translated weekly, not monthly even that's why it lacks proper attention from the readers.

- " Ryuuroden " Ahhh another beauty, I read the basic explanation of this manga from a forum I cannot remember, honestly speaking I had my doubts however that changes after I read the first chapter! Brilliant story line and stunning art work. The drawings are a bit shabby at the beginning but the more you read the more you get inspired. I've never seen so unique and detailed drawings when it comes to the anatomy. If you have read the manga " Histories strongest disciple kenichi" you will also see some similarities.

Well this is some of the manga that need more love and. I recommend them to all of you! :cat_thumbsup:

PS; I'm sorry if someone already has posted this, I skipped to the last page so I didn't read the comments. :cat_remorse:

Rio
12-07-2011, 02:03 PM
So I found this manga recently and it's just so freaking hilarious that I have to mention it here:

Sumire 17-sai!!
Summary: Sumire is a 17 year old high school girl who wants nothing more than to make friends with her new classmates. She's so dissappointed that they all seem to hate her, calling her a pervert, a dirty old man, creepy, weirdo... alas, what is a poor life-sized puppet to do in this cruel world?

http://static.mangahelpers.com/manga-covers/5528.png

Slice of Life, Comedy

Arashi500
12-08-2011, 12:03 AM
So I found this manga recently and it's just so freaking hilarious that I have to mention it here:

Sumire 17-sai!!
Summary: Sumire is a 17 year old high school girl who wants nothing more than to make friends with her new classmates. She's so dissappointed that they all seem to hate her, calling her a pervert, a dirty old man, creepy, weirdo... alas, what is a poor life-sized puppet to do in this cruel world?

http://static.mangahelpers.com/manga-covers/5528.png

Slice of Life, Comedy

What the actual fuck? That is amazing.

Sylux
12-08-2011, 12:19 AM
So how long has that thing run for

Bacon_Barbarian
12-08-2011, 12:21 PM
JUMBOR

Jumbor is by Hiroyuki Takei, the man behind Shaman King and Ultimo (both of which could use some more love as it stands). Jumbor is about a man who dies and is put into the robotic body of a child. One version briefly ran in Weekly JUMP for 10 chapters as a Shonen manga, and now it's a Seinen piece running in Ultra Jump. The Ultra Lump version only has 5 chapters out as of now, but apparently it's been running since August 2010, so it should have more. But I guess that's why it needs more love.

Rio
12-12-2011, 05:09 PM
So how long has that thing run for2 volumes only unfortunately though there was another alternative series called Sumire 16-sai!! (5 volumes)

@ Bacon
Hmmm, I didn't know he had a new one. I'll have to check it out. <:

Bacon_Barbarian
12-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Yeah, but, like, it needs major love. As stated, been running monthly since last year and only 4 chapters are translated. :/

Kaysnl
12-23-2011, 07:22 PM
huh, I havn't herd of any listed. guess I've got some reading to do :) A good one is Angel Beats! its not very long, I think only 2 or 3 volumes, but its funny and awesome to read. Its also an anime, with 13 episodes. Basically, the main character has died and arrived in a world that people go to when there life was incomplete. He's lost his memory for some reason, and is completely confused. He meets Yuri who is the leader of the constantly name changing battlefront that was formed to fight god for there unfair lifes. Thats just a short summery, but its awesome :3

AudriCantDance
12-27-2011, 02:49 PM
read Aiki and No Bra, the first one has an excellent story, NoBra killed some of my brain cells. Aiki is still ongoing (i think) and the story is getting pretty exciting! Aiki's art kinda improved too...

Rio
01-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Updated the list. Thumbs up to Saint Young Men, Shingeki no Kyojin and Historie.

Gotta recommend this manga:

Kami-sama no Iutoori
Summary: Takahata Shun's day at high school begins just as normal and boring as ever, but it doesn't end that way. After his teacher's head explodes, he and his classmates find themselves forced to play children's games, such as Daruma ga Koronda (a game like Red Light/Green Light), with deadly stakes. With no idea who is behind this mysterious deadly game session, and no way of knowing when it will finally end, the only thing Shun and other students can do is keep trying to win...

This is a truly action-packed manga. You never know what will happen next!

Ozzaharwood
02-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Wow, that sounds messed up but awesome. I may have to check that one out, Rio.

Rio
02-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Do! Just cuz it's messed up AND awesome. ;D

T1B3R1U5
02-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Sounds like a twist on the usually saafe and fun games we used to play as kids...I'll look it up. Thanks for the recommend Rio.

Rio
11-20-2012, 09:53 PM
I finally ran across a new manga that I think deserves some more love. Check it out if you can:

Onepunch-Man
Summary: Onepunch-Man follows the life of an average hero who manages to win all battles with only one punch. This ability seems to frustrate him as he no longer feels the thrill and adrenaline of fighting a tough battle, which leads to him questioning his past desire of being strong.
Comments: It's an action, comedy manga. It's not quite your regular superhero story. In fact, it takes that and turns it upside down. Bonus - artist is Murata Yuusuke from Eyeshield 21! Some gifs from the series:

http://i.minus.com/ibz8Imgm5PPdql.gif

http://images.4chan.org/a/src/1352975834666.gif

http://images.4chan.org/a/src/1352975895186.gif

Also, stickied the thread so people can find good manga's without have to work that hard for it. This is for you lazy people out there! ; )

Kodos
11-20-2012, 11:44 PM
It's funny you post that because I was literally just showing that to Bacon earlier this week.

Midori-Midori
11-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Ahh thanks Rio, I saw that first gif on tumblr and couldn't track back to where it was from.
I'm gonna check it out.

Rio
11-21-2012, 07:03 PM
@ Kodos
You mean to tell me I could've been reading OP-Man much earlier?! Kodos, you should share these things man!

@ Midori
Yeah, it totally sucks when that happens. I see a lot of images that I find interesting but I don't know where they're from. =_= Well, at least you found this one! (And you're welcome) :3

Rio
01-16-2013, 12:19 PM
I've been reading this awhile now and just noticed the low readership to it so, here it is making it's way to this here list:

Uchuu Kyoudai (aka Space Brothers)
Summary: One night in 2006, when they were young, the two brothers Mutta (born 1993) and Hibito (born 1996) saw what appeared to be a UFO heading for the moon. They decided that night to both become astronauts and travel out into space.

In 2025, Hibito has become an astronaut, and he's going to go to the moon. Mutta ended up following a more traditional career path with an auto development company. However, Mutta just ruined his career through a violent altercation with his boss. Now, not only has he lost his job, he appears to be blacklisted in the entire industry. Maybe this is a rare opportunity for Mutta to once again chase his childhood dream and become an astronaut like his little brother!

Thoughts: This one just makes me smile for some reason. It's probably all the quirky characters but check it out if you just want to read a feel-good manga.

Flash
07-19-2013, 07:14 AM
I started reading Shingeki No Kyojin as opposed to just watching the anime and I can''t put it down o.O Why have I not done this sooner!?

Rio
07-19-2013, 10:55 AM
I see you've seen the light.... Welcome to the club, Flash. :cat_hmp:

Speaking of which, I haven't made any recommendations in awhile (maybe because I'm too busy reading them -ahahaha!) so here are three:

Kingdom
Story: Millions of years have passed since the times of legends, when the worlds of man and gods were still the same. In these times it was the desires of man that moved the world. It is the era of the 500 year war: The warring states period. Kingdom is the story of a young, orphan servant boy named Shin who grew into a great general and all the trials and bloodshed that lead him there.

Comments: For those who like Historie and great, epic battles this is your series. There is an anime to this but there are differences between the anime and manga (anime cut out certain arcs, moved things around, etc). I also hear that the anime has no blood, the 3D is atrocious, and some other comments but yeah, fyi. Btw, some may see the Chinese name being used so that may throw you off a bit since this story is based in China. Once you start recognizing people though, this shouldn't be a problem.

Teppu
Story: Ishidou Natsuo is a gifted girl who can achieve anything she wants in sports. Because of this she is permanently bored, as there aren’t any real challenges to her abilites to make her feel alive. One day she receives an invitation of a merry girl to join her martial arts club. Irritated by her happy expression, Natsuo decides to accept the invitation just as a pretext to beat her up, but she receives a shocking surprise.

Thoughts: If you like ARM (All-Rounder Meguru), this series is very much like it in that it's more realistic (no fancy power-ups and all) except the main character is a warped girl. What I like about it as well is it's kind of interesting to see the girls-side of the MMA and a look into MMA in the international arena.

Nanatsu no Taizai (aka Seven Deadly Sins)
Story: The "Seven Deadly Sins", a group of evil knights who conspired to overthrow the kingdom of Britannia, were said to have been eradicated by the Holy Knights, although some claim that they still live. Ten years later, the Holy Knights have staged a Coup d'&#233;tat and assassinated the king, becoming the new, tyrannical rulers of the kingdom. Elizabeth, the king's daughter, sets out on a journey to find the "Seven Deadly Sins", and to enlist their help in taking back the kingdom.

Thoughts: The guy who made Kangou Banchou is doing this now. You wouldn't think it came from the same guy since the drawing style is different from KB. The art is like those from Muramasa, Dragon's Crown, and Odin Sphere video games. You'll see what I mean if you ever read this series. I've heard some call it art pr0n. Anywhooo, the title sounds cliche but once you start reading, it's fun, unique, and oh yeah - art pr0n... and groping.

http://i.imgur.com/RqcXdZT.png
http://i.imgur.com/pPTp8vx.png

Anyone else find any manga that needs a little more recognition? :>

theAnimeRebel
07-19-2013, 11:37 PM
Eh, I can't really tell the difference between what's popular or not... (For example, I read Bakuman and thought that series was unpopular until, well... little did I know, apparently.)

I read Reborn (The Mafia one, not the Hitman one... wait, X__x) but I don't reccomend it... I thought it was pretty dumb, actually. And the Parasite one, also pretty bad in my opinion. (That one might be more popular though, can't say.)

I don't know of any needing love though... Pandora Hearts was good, but again, it's probably pretty popular. Oh, Zombie Powder, if you like deserts and guns. (by Tite Kubo, the one he did before Bleach.) ...was that popular too though?

Uchuu Kyudai is great though. Not up my alley, I didn't personally like it, but it's a wonderful little story.

Rio
07-22-2013, 11:26 AM
Popular titles are usually titles that are from mainstream publishers - for example, usually anything from Jump will be well known - or any other series that has a huge following. Whether you like that series or not doesn't really matter. A lot of girls like the shoujo manga Skip Beat but that doesn't mean as a guy, you will personally like it.

This section is for those manga titles that you personally think deserves more recognition. Series that ended short like Double Arts or runs long but is not as popular as titles like Bleach and you think it deserves even more recognition. Of course, everyone's personal tastes will vary so what you like may not be what someone else likes. These are only recommendations.

As for learning if something is generally popular or not, most manga's you can tell by how many people are following it, ranking/rating the manga, fan pages/art, if it's on Jump, and so on. If you Google a title and it has a million pages that turn up - yeah, that series is popular.

theAnimeRebel
07-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Well, in that case...

The only manga I have left to reccomend (that's not that popular) is Demon Eyes Kyo. It's bishonen but the action is still awesome. I don't think it's that popular... there was an anime made a while back that was terrible, I believe it was canceled after the first season or something. The inking is amazing, minimal use of tones... and the pacing is spot-on. You can pick up just about any random volume and pick right back up with the story. Anyone else read this?

Rio
07-24-2013, 10:54 AM
What's it about?

arsland
10-08-2013, 11:07 AM
13 (One Shot) by sorachi hideaki

Sylux
10-08-2013, 06:10 PM
This (Manhwa) needs more love: http://www.mangareader.net/530/the-breaker.html http://www.mangareader.net/the-breaker-new-waves (part 2)