PDA

View Full Version : Being Nerd to Being Cool

ClockHand
07-21-2011, 12:54 AM
I think every day that pass being nerd it's more a fashion statement than just being a stupid ass hole with his head in the wrong place (beloved comics!), and I just don't get.

I'm happy in a part and in the other I'm facepalming. I'm happy because it changing the view of how nerd, geeks, gamers and such are looked, the stereotype it's changing and its evolving to something less Neanderthal than the typical addict to games and super heroes who use weird suits (the only super hero with a cool suit it's IronMan, and he had a fashion designer behind him) and it's becoming like... (would I dare to say it?)... a normal person (I did). And that's great. But I hate how everything else become more stupid and how this "fashion statement" it's destroying what I love, X-men Movies where awful, Thor was just good visually, SpiderMan was good, but Spiderman 3!!! and don't even make me talk about the Fantastic 4 and the video game movies.

I want people to remember the time you read Spiderman, when Emma Forst was in charge of the Gift School of Xavier, When you were reading Deadpool just to laugh at his popculture/random dialogues and when you felt that The Sandman was mind blowing. Every time a new movie comes out everyone is hipped about it, even the people who always though Captain America was from DC (trust me, this people exist), but who are the ones who suffer the most? who are the ones that feel the movie just rape the awesome comic it use to be? Us! and it's always the same.

And it's not just movies with comics, it's also about movies and video games, and literature. Books are transformed in tv series or movies and unless HBO is doing it, they will SUCK! And even worst this new generations apparently are hungry for more of this, they want to be Fashion Nerds, but the kind that like shit in their mouth, what the fuck?

So that's my deal, it sound like a rant and all that, but I want to know. Is just me? what do you think about it? how do you look the future? and all those other questions.

Because I don't wanna go to a movie and see that most of the cast members are models, just because it's sells more (transformer movies).

Delphinus
07-21-2011, 05:19 AM
I don't care.

The good stuff is easy to find if you stick to the internet. Relying on mainstream outlets to give you your fix of 'nerdy' entertainment is a bit silly anyway. Not to mention that it leads to the creation of a bunch of tossers who think Naruto is the greatest thing ever and have never heard of Satoshi Kon.

Stop relying on old media to give you your fix. You are not a profitable target audience; old media can make more money by targeting braindead products at the braindead majority. So they will. The good stuff is still available, but hard to get. Again, use the internet.

Fenn
07-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Similar to what Delph said, mainstream media is for mainstream audiences. I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to the "mainstream vs underground/hardcore" debate in any form of media because I lie on both sides on the fence.

Sometimes I want to see the "braindead" movies, music, and games because frankly I don't need to really invest a lot into the series or the content--in other words, it's quick, easy media: easy to find, easy to watch and enjoy. And other times I want original, high quality, labor-of-love level media. Something new, something inspired, something that takes an awful lot of work to create and is designed with a specific audience in mind. This media is much harder to find because there is less of it, and it also requires a certain level of invested time and energy on the part of the consumer. Nerds like you and I gravitate to this sort of media because we can feel like we are a part of it and immerse ourselves in the depth and impressive quality of it.

I actually like that some nerd stuff is becoming "mainstream." Media like the X-Men and Thor Movies, although shallow in a nerd's perspective, are great introductions to the world of superheros and comics for people who previously believe that content was out of reach. Movies, music, games; they're made for everyone, don't be too possessive of them, just keep looking for new creators and producers who are making the stuff you really want, and support them.

ClockHand
07-21-2011, 04:29 PM
What it's a mainstream media? Is it popular? if it is, then Internet it's the most mainstream media. I'm not discussing mainstream vs underground, I'm discussing how being a nerd it's becoming the same as being a guy with a t-shirt of green lantern, and it doesn't reflex any more the joy of act as a nerd.

Also yeah I like that X-Men and Thor are becoming mainstream so the public can know them, but at the same time what they are knowing is not what we know, they are not knowing the X-men's as should be, they are knowing movies that should be named "Wolverine and His Friends" or in the case of First Class, "First Class: in a parallel universe". And what it's even worst is the fact that people like this shit. I'm not going to discus that the older are better, the thing is that the new movies are bad.

jubeh
07-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Are you getting mad at dudes because they're not nerdy enough. I don't even know what's going on. I'm wearing a voltron shirt right now but I can't even tell you the names of the characters anymore. Am I doing it wrong?

You will probably love this article.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/12/ff_angrynerd_geekculture/all/1

It's about what you're talking about almost.

But I can't relate. I want to be able to talk to anybody about romance of the three kingdoms. I love nerding out about comics with friends that aren't that familiar with them. That shit is inherently fun.

BozeSG
07-21-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm gonna have to side with clock here, it might not happen much with other things but i particularly can't stand it when my impression of spiderman is an awesome character with all his sarcasm and wisecracks and venom is the most badass villain ever in all comics and for other people who've only watched the movie it's...

furthermore the mainstream media doesn't really introduce the comics to everyone, it replaces it. a few years from now, if you ask someone about what X-Men is, they won't answer "a comic series that's been running for more than 50 years", they'll say "oh! you mean the films with all the hot guys and girls who got super powers and fight the bad guys?", and that's it! the comics become the sub-existence of the films and eventually their brilliance will be lost in a sea of people who only go to see the films because an actor or actress they like is playing in them...

jubeh
07-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Um shouldn't you be more upset with Marvel, seeing as how comics are now marketing tools for summer blockbusters. Getting mad at the people who enjoy movies sounds elitist and just straight up concentrated 100% douchey with pulp. Not to mention that comics are an expensive and difficult media to get in to. Even if you wait for the trades you're spending 20 bucks a pop for a solitary activity with less content. I love comics but blame the format.

Also venom is not badass this isn't the 90's.

BozeSG
07-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Umm, i never said that im mad with people, i'm mad about the FACT that such a situation exists. and what you say makes sense, but still it's not an excuse for forgetting the real origin, doing so is a complete insult to the artist that put his soul into creating it.

also, face the truth...
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/5514/awesomevenompicturespid.jpg
he's still a badass...

jubeh
07-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Umm, i never said that im mad with people, i'm mad about the FACT that such a situation exists.

It's true you didn't say that. That was more a response towards the strange confrontational attitude of this thread. It feels like an "us vs them" kind of thing when it really is not.

and what you say makes sense, but still it's not an excuse for forgetting the real origin, doing so is a complete insult to the artist that put his soul into creating it

Not always. Like I don't give a shit about the original x-men. Not even a little bit. I liked morrison's run, and whedon's, and the movies work in similar ways. They're just runs in a sense.

BozeSG
07-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Not always. Like I don't give a shit about the original x-men. Not even a little bit. I liked morrison's run, and whedon's, and the movies work in similar ways. They're just runs in a sense.
not true. morrison and whedon changed the X-men and they made it better, they kinda improved what was written before and they got popular because of their skill in doing so, and so they deserve the credit given to them and the comic. this is definitely not the case with the movies. calling them runs is okay, but these "runs" don't have anything in them that we can call "improvement in the comic's world", they are just the reduced version made from bits and pieces of a greater story, and that's my problem with it. films are adaptations made from something big, forgetting the big thing itself and recognizing it's fragments as the original does not make sense to me.

jubeh
07-21-2011, 07:46 PM
You're making it sound like a run has to improve the world of comics somehow to be considered a run. If that was true jeph loeb would have been executed. Or at least be out of a job.

films are adaptations made from something big, forgetting the big thing itself and recognizing it's fragments as the original does not make sense to me.

It makes sense to me. Trying to cram decades of mythology into a 90 minute movie is just bad film-making. Not to mention the restrictions you have on the character due to the nature of comics themselves.

For one, character development isn't really allowed. If batman suddenly got over the death of his parents, or the punisher was like oh well maybe I am a little crazy, then it has a negative effect on anybody that just wants to jump into a comic and be familiar with what is going on. This sounds insane, but remember that most self-proclaimed comic fans don't read comics. They grew up with the 90's cartoons, which weren't bad at all, but imposed an image of these characters in the minds of children everywhere. Worst of all, it made people thing gambit was cool.

When making a film that is meant to reach out to these people, you have to adhere to that image. For instance trying to make gambit cool when he clearly isn't.

For two, films typically need to adapt the stories to a real world setting. I'm sure you wouldn't argue that Spider-man lives in anything that resembles our world with fucking lazer guns and space planes. Comic book logic can still apply, but films don't have years of back comics to pull recognizable ideas from. If you saw Reed Richard's sonic gun thing in a comic it'd be typical. If some dude pulled it out during a movie without explanation it might be kind of weird. And some things in general just don't transfer well to reality. See: that dragonball move or gambit being cool.

Lastly a comic film is going to be inherently limited for obvious reasons. You can't have Tim Drake just show up in the next Dark Knight without some sort of explanation, and you couldn't pull of something like Batman RIP which pulls all sorts of stuff out of Bman's mythology and history. Superman's Red Son wouldn't work as a film, most likely, without a buttassload of exposition because it assumes that the audience knows too much.

I think we're getting sidetracked here when really what I'm trying to say is that gambit is just really not cool. You mentioned the films being reduced versions of a greater story. That's what every run is. It's a fragment of a character's mythology. You also mentioned "missing the big thing." What's the big thing? A decades old library of previous movies about the character? That's what doesn't make sense to me.

Sylux
07-22-2011, 05:41 PM
I think Clock is a solipsist and thinks all comic book movies should adhere to him only as only he exists.

BozeSG
07-22-2011, 05:56 PM
You're making it sound like a run has to improve the world of comics somehow to be considered a run. If that was true jeph loeb would have been executed. Or at least be out of a job.

It makes sense to me. Trying to cram decades of mythology into a 90 minute movie is just bad film-making. Not to mention the restrictions you have on the character due to the nature of comics themselves.

For one, character development isn't really allowed. If batman suddenly got over the death of his parents, or the punisher was like oh well maybe I am a little crazy, then it has a negative effect on anybody that just wants to jump into a comic and be familiar with what is going on. This sounds insane, but remember that most self-proclaimed comic fans don't read comics. They grew up with the 90's cartoons, which weren't bad at all, but imposed an image of these characters in the minds of children everywhere. Worst of all, it made people thing gambit was cool.

When making a film that is meant to reach out to these people, you have to adhere to that image. For instance trying to make gambit cool when he clearly isn't.

For two, films typically need to adapt the stories to a real world setting. I'm sure you wouldn't argue that Spider-man lives in anything that resembles our world with fucking lazer guns and space planes. Comic book logic can still apply, but films don't have years of back comics to pull recognizable ideas from. If you saw Reed Richard's sonic gun thing in a comic it'd be typical. If some dude pulled it out during a movie without explanation it might be kind of weird. And some things in general just don't transfer well to reality. See: that dragonball move or gambit being cool.

Lastly a comic film is going to be inherently limited for obvious reasons. You can't have Tim Drake just show up in the next Dark Knight without some sort of explanation, and you couldn't pull of something like Batman RIP which pulls all sorts of stuff out of Bman's mythology and history. Superman's Red Son wouldn't work as a film, most likely, without a buttassload of exposition because it assumes that the audience knows too much.

I think we're getting sidetracked here when really what I'm trying to say is that gambit is just really not cool. You mentioned the films being reduced versions of a greater story. That's what every run is. It's a fragment of a character's mythology. You also mentioned "missing the big thing." What's the big thing? A decades old library of previous movies about the character? That's what doesn't make sense to me.
well... can't say you're wrong, all the points you've made make complete sense. i concede to my defeat.(but still, i really can't accept it if films' stories begin to best the comics' in terms of popularity...)

(also, seriously dude, gambit's going to cry, cut him some slack. at least he looks cool...)

Sylux
07-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Gambit looked like a douchebag. Popularity shouldn't mean anything to you, actually it should excite you. You can school people on the real comic book characters and stories, and they'll probably listen and maybe even read an issue or two. Why are you and Clock so pessimistic about it?

Fenn
07-22-2011, 10:06 PM
I think the real problem here is the semantics of the word "nerd." And when we start arguing the meaning of a title, no one is going to win. Everyone has their own opinion of what a "nerd" is, and there are several different levels of nerd. No one should feel obligated to treat any franchise or form of media in anyway other than the way they want.

Take a look at Star Wars: The Clone Wars cartoon. From what I see most Star Wars nerds hate the series, b/c it mutilates the canon and seems like a complete sellout. Maybe it is. But I think they're taking it too seriously. If I were a Star Wars buff, I'd look at it and way: "Dude, look at how many lightsaber duels and blaster wars I get to see! What a perfect excuse for me to take in some action scenes in the Star Wars Universe, without worrying about the lore and canon."

jubeh
07-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Without getting into defining the word nerd, I can say that the nerds I dislike the most are ones that selfishly cling onto their hobbies and dismiss any movement towards popularity. Not only is it a childish attitude, but it shows blatant disrespect for the creator who might want to actually make some money. It also breeds an unhealthy "Us vs Them" situation, and then people are wearing sweat pants and I don't even know where to begin.

If I were a Star Wars buff, I'd look at it and way: "Dude, look at how many lightsaber duels and blaster wars I get to see! What a perfect excuse for me to take in some action scenes in the Star Wars Universe, without worrying about the lore and canon."

Are you being for real right now.

Black_Shaggie
07-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Okay may I interject here for a moment? The comics are one thing & the movies are something else entirely. If you've watched everything from the 1st X-Men to X-Men first class, you can see a consistent continuity there & it's cool. I won't say it's better than any story arc in the comics...but it works for the big screen. Imagine trying to squeeze all of the Uncanny X-men into a few movies?
Trust me when I say I don't like Hollywood screwing around with my childhood memories...but I don't expect much from the movies because I know how the original story arcs played out. I find this entire pop infatuation with super heroes kind of amusing actually. It's so chic to be nerdy now...but what exactly is nerdy? I mean crap...just because I've played every edition of D&D from Basic to 4.0 doesn't mean I can't hang out with supposed 'cool guys' or that I'll automatically become introverted & socially awkward at parties or the culb does it? No. The truth is people are people and the trends that move our culture reflect people in our society as a whole. What I see as today's trend isn't that being a nerd is cool, but rather people's individualism...being themselves if you will...is becoming more & more excepted. And that's cool. Now if we can just people to stop being so materialistic...

(Black Shaggie steps off of his soap box.)

So...that's why Hollywood's making all of these super hero movies & the real reason why most of them aren't as accurate as we'd all like for them to be is there's no way in the Nine Planes of Hell that the movie makers can accomodate us all. So they allways go with the nerfed version & make oodles & oodles of money. This is the reason why I keep all of my comics so I read 'em over & over again.

I'll will say this...if they ever do a Captain Marvel movie...they'd better NOT call it Shazam & they better get the essence of it right or I'm going to hunt the director down like a cougar hunts small, furry woodland creatures.

Psy
07-23-2011, 03:50 AM
If I were a Star Wars buff, I'd look at it and way: "Dude, look at how many lightsaber duels and blaster wars I get to see! What a perfect excuse for me to take in some action scenes in the Star Wars Universe, without worrying about the lore and canon."

Just because you can do somthing doesnt mean you should. If this show has nothing to do with the cannon of the series why is it there? Just because is not a reason.

Nerdy becoming popular is a step in the direction of everyone being on the same social level imo. Tho i dont think you can call it nerdy since nerdy is the opposite of popular. Nerdy hobbies and past times are becoming popular (cant say for sure about the people tho).

BozeSG
07-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Popularity shouldn't mean anything to you, actually it should excite you. You can school people on the real comic book characters and stories, and they'll probably listen and maybe even read an issue or two. Why are you and Clock so pessimistic about it?
im not really against them becoming popular, i'm just afraid of these kind of reactions:

If I were a Star Wars buff, I'd look at it and way: "Dude, look at how many lightsaber duels and blaster wars I get to see! What a perfect excuse for me to take in some action scenes in the Star Wars Universe, without worrying about the lore and canon." that a normal person may have, which can have the opposite effect and destroy any kind of nerdiness instead of making them popular.

ClockHand
07-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Okay may I interject here for a moment? The comics are one thing & the movies are something else entirely. If you've watched everything from the 1st X-Men to X-Men first class, you can see a consistent continuity there & it's cool. I won't say it's better than any story arc in the comics...

Are you joking don't you? In the first X-Men movie professor Xavier says that he built Cerebro with the help of Magneto when he was 30. In X-Men: First Class cerebro was built by Beast. Even between movies the universe was raped.

Trust me when I say I don't like Hollywood screwing around with my childhood memories...but I don't expect much from the movies because I know how the original story arcs played out. I find this entire pop infatuation with super heroes kind of amusing actually.

You know that you can do a movie about X-Men that doesn't work around Wolverine, Cyclop, Magneto, Xavier or any other of the classic X-Men characters. If you understand that X-Men is more that just those characters, that there is a academy, a squad, and social problems, you can easily create new characters inside this universe. What if X-Men film was about students who had to survive the conflicts as bulling and no-love from their parents? and those kids living inside the mansion, meeting the classic X-Men's and developing their own personalities.
Movies need to do their own homework and not try to copy others works that much, just imagine how would had been the Clockwork Orange of it were exactly as the book.

So...that's why Hollywood's making all of these super hero movies & the real reason why most of them aren't as accurate as we'd all like for them to be is there's no way in the Nine Planes of Hell that the movie makers can accomodate us all. So they allways go with the nerfed version & make oodles & oodles of money. This is the reason why I keep all of my comics so I read 'em over & over again.

No, the reason is because its sells, and takes to much work and risk to do something by their own. X-Men could be a great HBO serie (because it's impossible to reflect all the conflicts inside the squad in just one movie).

My problem is not with the people, they don't have the fault, the problem is the medium, not only Hollywood, but also Marvel and DC. They let crappy work to be the seal of their product for the mayor audience. And this audience start believing they know something about comic books just for having watched Wolverine Origins.

Fenn
07-23-2011, 04:02 PM
And this audience start believing they know something about comic books just for having watched Wolverine Origins.

THIS is where we agree. The big problem I have with the casual comic/gaming crowd is with those who think they are a super-nerd just by watching the film. If you are a fair-weather nerd, act like one, don't pretend to have this vast, deep, long-lived affection with a certain character or story after you see the movie.

jubeh
07-23-2011, 04:25 PM
THIS is where we agree. The big problem I have with the casual comic/gaming crowd is with those who think they are a super-nerd just by watching the film. If you are a fair-weather nerd, act like one, don't pretend to have this vast, deep, long-lived affection with a certain character or story after you see the movie.

Who even cares about this weird straw man.

Also read this again and try to realize how I read this.

The big problem I have with the casual comic/gaming crowd is

RAHHH THOSE DAMN CASUALS.

You sound like they're barbarian invaders from the north that you choose to tolerate.

with those who think they are a super-nerd just by watching the film.

YOU COULDN'T POSSIBLY MATCH MY PROWESS YOU PUNY MOVIE-GOER.

The problem you're having here isn't related to movies or comics or anything really. Some people get excited about new things and want to talk about them.

If you are a fair-weather nerd, act like one, don't pretend to have this vast, deep, long-lived affection with a certain character or story after you see the movie.

KNOW YOUR PLACE PEASANT.

At this point we have no idea what you are arguing about. You created a fictional know it all who you are clearly superior to because you know more about comics?

CypressDahlia
07-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Jubeh, I get what you're trying to say, but Fenn has a point.

You don't "know calculus" just because you learned how to find derivatives. Similarly, you don't "know X-men" just because you watched the movies. Whereas a lot of casuals base their knowledge of the entire series off of what they draw from the movies, that doesn't make them fans of anything BUT the movies. It doesn't make them "X-Men fans", because that would entail knowing about and enjoying X-men in its entirety, or at least a majority of it

Also, you can blame Hot Topic for retro-grade fashion statements ala Boba Fett T-shirts.

jubeh
07-23-2011, 06:29 PM
And once again I ask why you care? Who cares if some guy goes around claiming to be an expert on italian cooking after eating spaghetti? Yes we all dislike when people are silly. Can we move on?

CypressDahlia
07-23-2011, 06:34 PM
I'm not claiming to care or not care. But you can't write Fenn off like some kind of ideological bigot because he does. It's not wrong to care/worry about something you are supposedly deeply involved with. In this case, it would be the fanbase of [comic]. I'm a manga artist, so I care when manga art is given a bad name because I'm a proponent of it. Likewise, "casuals" give diehard comic fans a bad name.

It does annoy me, though, when I try to have a conversation with someone about something they claim to "love", but it lasts like 3 minutes because they don't REALLY know about it. And you can't say that's a redeeming character trait of people, either.

jubeh
07-23-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm not claiming to care or not care. But you can't write Fenn off like some kind of ideological bigot because he does. It's not wrong to care/worry about something you are supposedly deeply involved with.

It really has nothing to do with how invested or involved you are in something. It's not a trait inherent to comics or movies or anything. This happens in all walks of life. It's a trait developed by uninteresting people who need to give themselves value. Nobody likes this kind of person, but there's no reason to refer to them as if they're inferior in some way.

Especially since it creates opportunities for new fans to get involved with something that may have slipped past their radar. I think that kind of brings us back to the original topic of people seemingly being afraid of new fans invading their fandom, but I think if everyone thought about it for more than a minute they would see why it's a good thing.

If you think about it it's all really silly. There was even a cromartie comic about this. Couldn't find it but it's the one where the bancho who is good with computers gets a new classmate who is a computer noob but keeps inadvertently showing off his limited knowledge and impressing people.

Also Im only calling fenn out because of the tone of his post. This really doesn't need to become a circle jerk going on about dumb casual gamers and comic movie fans.

It does annoy me, though, when I try to have a conversation with someone about something they claim to "love", but it lasts like 3 minutes because they don't REALLY know about it. And you can't say that's a redeeming character trait of people, either.

Its about as annoying as most small talk is, though. I'd rather get pulled into a shitty conversation about something I care about instead of having to talk to a microsoft rep about how her nail polish crackles or what the fuck.

CypressDahlia
07-23-2011, 07:00 PM
I don't mind small talk. It shows that people are willing to invest their time and attention in a conversation with you, even if it's about nothing important. But really that's all preferential, so whatever.

Anyway, I think it's more justified if you're deeply involved in the matter. Like a comic book fan who regularly gets exposure to the media, at the cost of inconvenience and even --dun dun dunnn-- money should get a little more say in it, mostly because the related trends affect them more than other people. That's generally it: people who have more commitment to something should have more say in it, because it generally affects them more than others. Likewise, Hollywood decided to fk up Transformers in every possible way because their stakes in how successful the movie was were far greater than the interests of diehard fans. We're mad about it, but it makes sense from a business perspective.

This really doesn't need to become a circle jerk going on about dumb casual gamers and comic movie fans.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure this is the only real purpose of this thread. Shares the fate of every Naruto thread ever made on MT. Which is why I avoided posting until now.

jubeh
07-23-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't mind small talk. It shows that people are willing to invest their time and attention in a conversation with you, even if it's about nothing important. But really that's all preferential, so whatever.

Yeah well remember I work in retail. I've had some of the worst conversations of all time. Off topic but yeah it varies from dude to dude.

Anyway, I think it's more justified if you're deeply involved in the matter. Like a comic book fan who regularly gets exposure to the media, at the cost of inconvenience and even --dun dun dunnn-- money should get a little more say in it, mostly because the related trends affect them more than other people. That's generally it: people who have more commitment to something should have more say in it, because it generally affects them more than others. Likewise, Hollywood decided to fk up Transformers in every possible way because their stakes in how successful the movie was were far greater than the interests of diehard fans. We're mad about it, but it makes sense from a business perspective.

I just can't relate. I may be jaded because some of my favorite things have been violated time and time again, but it just doesn't bother me anymore. It doesn't bother me that there's a three kingdoms anime that's all fanservice and little girls. Batman x Superman yaoi doesn't bother me. It didn't bother me that keanu played constantine. I'm starting to see that I may be in the minority.

I go in to thing expecting them to be off the wall shitty, and if it doesn't suck I'm pleasantly surprised.

If I tried to trace it back it would most likely begin with..

http://images.wikia.com/streetfighter/images/c/c5/Street_Fighter_The_Movie_game_flyer.png

Evil_Cake
07-23-2011, 07:42 PM
that movie looks good 2 me

Black_Shaggie
07-24-2011, 04:32 AM
Okay Clock Hand...you got me with this one:

"Are you joking don't you? In the first X-Men movie professor Xavier says that he built Cerebro with the help of Magneto when he was 30. In X-Men: First Class cerebro was built by Beast. Even between movies the universe was raped."

...and I agree they COULD do a series & follow the comics (any of the X-Men comics) a lot better. But they never will because of what you said (& so did I to a lesser extent) about Hollywood using the medium to make money.

I just saw Captain America tonight & it was awful. This is why I keep my comics...

I'm must concede to your logic...because you're right. It's all abiut the money to them & they follow the trends to get that money.

Sucks for us.

Fenn
07-25-2011, 09:51 AM
I took stances on either end of this debate and was easily proved wrong ON BOTH SIDES. :cat_panic:

CONCLUSION: I have no idea where the hell i stand.

Maybe the lesson is: Movie adaptations of (insert any other form of nerdy media here) are only worth it for the action?

jubeh
07-25-2011, 12:30 PM
No

Black_Shaggie
07-25-2011, 01:50 PM
I took stances on either end of this debate and was easily proved wrong ON BOTH SIDES. :cat_panic:

CONCLUSION: I have no idea where the hell i stand.

Maybe the lesson is: Movie adaptations of (insert any other form of nerdy media here) are only worth it for the action?

Infactically no.

GunZet
07-25-2011, 04:32 PM
If someone made a movie adaptation of everything the internet is, I'm pretty sure we'd all come to an overall agreement on one thing or the other.

ClockHand
07-25-2011, 04:43 PM
If someone made a movie adaptation of everything the internet is, I'm pretty sure we'd all come to an overall agreement on one thing or the other.

David Lynch, Guillermo del Toro (to make the trolls), Gaspar Noé and Hayao Miyazaki present "The Internet".

Quentin Tarantino was spelled because he wanted to fill it with 70 pop culture references.

Delphinus
07-25-2011, 07:48 PM

http://www.impawards.com/2008/posters/dark_knight_ver4.jpg

Tora
07-25-2011, 09:57 PM
I went into rue 21 when the new X men was released. there was a T that said "My ex-boyfriend was a supervillian" and there was a picture of magneto. Stupid girls would wear that just to make a "fashion" statement. "I'm nerdy cos I chose to buy a T like this; therefore I'm cool."

Others would wear it like a badge of honor. "I like comics and I'm proud of it." They'd wear it as a conversation starter and that conversation would not end in "Oh, yeah, I just bought this shirt because geek chic is in, right? I have no idea who this character even is."

BUT! Jubeh wears his Voltron shirt not knowing anything about it. HOWEVER! if someone came up to him and wanted to initiate conversation about the giant robot lions that make up the mighty voltron I'm sure he'd listen to whatever the other dude had to say. Maybe then they'd start talking about idk spiderman or scott pilgrim even. Either way there's a spark there.

Unlike others, he's allowed to wear that shirt because he wears it for the right reasons. And that's because though he's not a necessarily a fan of voltron, he's still a fan.

Am I off base? Please don't yell at me T_T

jubeh
07-25-2011, 10:45 PM
I went into rue 21 when the new X men was released. there was a T that said "My ex-boyfriend was a supervillian" and there was a picture of magneto. Stupid girls would wear that just to make a "fashion" statement. "I'm nerdy cos I chose to buy a T like this; therefore I'm cool."

Why are these people stupid and why is fashion bad exactly.

BUT! Jubeh wears his Voltron shirt not knowing anything about it. HOWEVER! if someone came up to him and wanted to initiate conversation about the giant robot lions that make up the mighty voltron I'm sure he'd listen to whatever the other dude had to say. Maybe then they'd start talking about idk spiderman or scott pilgrim even. Either way there's a spark there.

I've seen every episode of voltron the problem is that I was like 8. Regardless, what I'm getting at here is it qualifies me as one of the dumb people you described before. A dumb person who coincidentally has a slight interest in fashion, or at least looking nice. And despite your saying I'd listen to a dude talk about voltron, yeah I would, but why would he bother listening to me? Aren't we back where we started.

Unlike others, he's allowed to wear that shirt because he wears it for the right reasons. And that's because though he's not a necessarily a fan of voltron, he's still a fan.

I don't believe anyone has to gain permission to wear a t-shirt.

Am I off base? Please don't yell at me T_T

TWO MILLION YEN

Tora
07-25-2011, 11:02 PM
Jeez. Ouch... I thought I made some valid points. Guess not...

Sorry my opinion sucked.

*pays two million yen to Jubeh*

jubeh
07-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Man you gotta fight for your opinions you cant just give up

Tora
07-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Why are these people stupid and why is fashion bad exactly.
I'm prejudiced and I do apologize for that. It's an impulse for me to throw the word "stupid" in front of girls. Bad experiences and the like. I live in a community where the comic world is not an acceptable thing, especially among girls, and is actually frowned upon.
Most girls I know (NOT ALL), I simply can't get along with because they are fashion crazed or boy crazy. Also, I love simplicity. Fashion holds no appeal to me. Never did. Doesn't matter what I look like, what counts is who I am.

I've seen every episode of voltron the problem is that I was like 8. Regardless, what I'm getting at here is it qualifies me as one of the dumb people you described before. A dumb person who coincidentally has a slight interest in fashion, or at least looking nice. And despite your saying I'd listen to a dude talk about voltron, yeah I would, but why would he bother listening to me? Aren't we back where we started.

I was being presumptuous. I assumed you were just wearing the shirt. I do totally relate though. I used to watch Gundam G and Spiderman and now I can't remember much about anything. However, I never said you were dumb. And also if you listened to someone rant about voltron I'd say there's a pretty good chance they'd listen to you. If not that's really sad. I know I would.

I don't believe anyone has to gain permission to wear a t-shirt.
True... but there are people who would appreciate a specific T more than others.

TWO MILLION YEN
Uh yeah... I'll be taking that back now.

Man you gotta fight for your opinions you cant just give up
Someone's gotta beat the pathetic outta me I guess. Will it be you?

jubeh
07-26-2011, 02:28 AM
I'm prejudiced and I do apologize for that. It's an impulse for me to throw the word "stupid" in front of girls. Bad experiences and the like. I live in a community where the comic world is not an acceptable thing, especially among girls, and is actually frowned upon.
Most girls I know (NOT ALL), I simply can't get along with because they are fashion crazed or boy crazy. Also, I love simplicity. Fashion holds no appeal to me. Never did. Doesn't matter what I look like, what counts is who I am.

I'd say don't criticize fashion if it doesn't concern you. It's fair, right?

I was being presumptuous. I assumed you were just wearing the shirt. I do totally relate though. I used to watch Gundam G and Spiderman and now I can't remember much about anything. However, I never said you were dumb. And also if you listened to someone rant about voltron I'd say there's a pretty good chance they'd listen to you. If not that's really sad. I know I would.

You didn't outright call me dumb, but you did lump me in the dumb girls category whether you meant to or not. I mean what if it was a fashion statement? What if I was being ironic?

My point was that it goes both ways. You've developed some weird rule system for whether or not a shirt can be worn by a person when really if I were you I'd concede that you really don't need to tell people how to dress.

True... but there are people who would appreciate a specific T more than others.

Okay?

Someone's gotta beat the pathetic outta me I guess. Will it be you?

Wat

CypressDahlia
07-26-2011, 02:49 AM
I still say we should blame Hot Topic.

Rio
07-26-2011, 10:49 AM
And Hot Topic is apparently bringing out some Sailor Mooon t-shirts (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-07-20/hot-topic-lists-new-sailor-moon-t-shirt-in-u.s) now that it's coming back as a manga (don't know about the anime).

CypressDahlia
07-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Hot Topic is such a flavor-of-the-month store that it's ridiculous. I hate when people are seen walking around with the tri-force shirt, I'm like "oh, cool, tri-force" and they're just like "....what's a tri-force?". They also have Run DMC shirts despite the fact that their entire playlist is comprised of post-2005 screamo and Depeche Mode.

I bet they're going to start whoring out Thundercats, too, since it airs on Friday.

Delphinus
07-26-2011, 05:56 PM
They also have Run DMC shirts despite the fact that their entire playlist is comprised of post-2005 screamo and Depeche Mode.

Depeche Mode is great, man... and screamo still exists? I thought that shit died years ago. Also how can they keep a genre that essentially all sounds the same going?

jubeh
07-26-2011, 06:18 PM
Is this really happening right now in this thread

CypressDahlia
07-26-2011, 06:31 PM
yep. It's goin down.

Black_Shaggie
07-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Yeah...I thought this thread was about from "Being Nerd to Cool". Why is everyone talking about pop culture zombies who don't have a clue beyond iconic imagery?

Hot Topic...I get my watch bands from that place. All my t-shirts with manga, anime, old school cartoons or videogames are vintage. Shit, some of 'em don't even fit anymore. I hate that fact that many these kids that would wear a Tri-Force or a 1up mushroom t-shirt don't know what they're wearing, but I do appreaciate the idea that the images are still alive today & reaching a new generation in some way.

I just test these people with my knowledge on the stuff that they're wearing, inform them on what is (if Iknow) & where it came from. Hopefully I can peek their intrest beyond the real m of fashion.

jubeh
07-28-2011, 06:48 PM
No offense but what kind of person goes around testing people because they're wearing a shirt.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
07-28-2011, 07:20 PM
I once tested a guy cause he was wearing an 'e=mc2' T shirt. He said 'Err, something to do with Einstein, right?'. I have just out-nerded all of you. Now drink the vinegar out of my cum.

jubeh
07-28-2011, 07:22 PM
We can only aspire to reach that level of social ineptitude. Test everyone I say.

Bacon_Barbarian
07-28-2011, 07:31 PM
I was a regular nerd, and then I grew a beard and started wearing leather. Now I'm a creepy, ugly nerd.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
07-28-2011, 07:33 PM
The trouble with that is you are in real danger of testing someone who is far geekier than you. Seriously, have you ever been have a nerdy chat with a group of friends, and theres some guy there whos a friend of a friend who you don't know very well, and they turn out to have a far more extensive knowledge of the thought process behind Dave Gibbons drawings of Dr Manhattens genitallia than you do, and you think 'Pfft...fucking loser.'

Its weird that, innit?

jubeh
07-28-2011, 07:37 PM
I usually get excited when I meet people like that but I can see how it'd be frustrating at the same time.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
07-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Yeah, you're probably right. Think its more of an insecurity thing on my part. We all wanna be the smartest guy or the funniest guy around the table and when someone comes along and steals you're thunder by being funnier or smarter or geekier than you, you may think 'Asshole.' Yeah, I think I gotta work on that.

jubeh
07-28-2011, 07:44 PM
Well yeah if they're a total douche about it I'd be like wow what an asshole. Like if somebody started "testing" me I'd be like uh what. I'd probably pretend to not know anything about any of my shirts.

"Radiohead? I figured that was like a brand of microwaves."

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
07-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Yeah, 'Che Guevara? Wasn't he in the Backstreet Boys?'

Not that I own, or have ever owned a Che Guevara T-shirt, cause that would go completely against the idea of the man. Buying is not rebelling. So if you ever meet a self righteous 'anarchist' type prick who is wearing a Che T-shirt, please tell them that from me. Buying is not rebelling, ya asshole. Sorry for preaching, but its true.

Anyway, on the subject of 'nerdness' which I assume is what this thread is about, I like to talk about comics and stuff with people about as much as I like to talk about everything else. I can't be arsed to read this thread through, but I'm gonna assume that was a valid point.

jubeh
07-28-2011, 07:52 PM
This thread is nerds raging at people infringing on their hobbies.

Well at least that is what it has become.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
07-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Oh, ya mean like people who talk about X-men, Iron man, Blade etc but have only seen the movies and not read the comics?! The horror.

Suppose it depends how they approach the subject. I remember at college a guy I met said he was into Pantera, and when I tried to have a conversation about the band, he quickly revealed that he had only heard the song 'I'm broken' cause it was a music video that ran regularly on MTV2 at the time. Fine, nothing wrong with that, but why say that you're 'into' Pantera when you have only heard one song? Kinda like me saying I really enjoyed The Godfather, but I only saw the first 5 minutes. Huh?

CypressDahlia
07-28-2011, 11:26 PM
^^^ my point exactly.

Black_Shaggie
07-29-2011, 12:26 AM
No offense but what kind of person goes around testing people because they're wearing a shirt.
I do but only when I'm on drugs.

...so I guess I haven't tested anyone in this manner for a while now.