PDA

View Full Version : your way of sketching

Slurpee
07-18-2011, 04:34 PM
a friend of mine asked me why i use so many lines while drawing and then it got me thinking
everyone must have a different way of sketching. tell or show us how you sketch or any little tips on how you get it done!:cat_ehheh:

Rio
07-18-2011, 04:46 PM
It's kind of weird for me. Sometimes I use a lot of lines and sometimes I don't. I just depends on how I like what I'm seeing. If I draw more lines, it means I either a) am adding more details b) making the line thicker or c) correcting a line and not bothering to use an eraser in the process.

CypressDahlia
07-18-2011, 06:37 PM
depending on the style you're using, it might be essential to learn to draw with fewer strokes. I tend to use gesture/contour drawings when setting up my pieces instead of drawing in placeholders like boxes or circles.

Egoslip
07-18-2011, 11:29 PM
I think it's a good idea to learn multiple ways of sketching.. considering the effect of feel you're going for. I sometimes crosshatch in a quick sketch just to represent texture or stipple even. Sometimes i sketch really quickly and messy just to get an idea down, and sometimes i do as Cypress mentioned and go with contours as well as use placeholders. If i know what I'm sketching, say from life, my sketches are a lot more controlled and clean as opposed to developing something from imagination where there are multiple lines like Rio explained, corrections and what not... a lot of the time I mix line and shadow in my sketches to remind myself of the light source.. it really is all just the purpose of the sketch... in my opinion anyway.. (oh and yes i don't believe anyone person sketches the same considering everyone is different.. as in the strokes will change but the concept may not)

ClockHand
07-18-2011, 11:53 PM
I dunno, I just throw a lot of lines. I always start with the head as reference and then i go working with the body, but everything its a mess of lines (this is because I try to see the volume as I'm working with the proportions and symmetry).

But every person has their own way, there are people who doesn't even sketch (I know a illustrator who is close to my family and he doesn't sketch, he goes directly to draw).

Scarletlight
07-19-2011, 04:51 AM
My sketches are often messy and disorientated haha.
But the things I do use when sketching vary from piece to piece.

For some poses I like to start with the head, then throw in a bean shape body and flesh out the anatomy from there. Other times I might use cuboids as place holders to make sure things are 3D. Some times I might use an hourglass shape, or some gesture drawing or I might even combine several of any of these at one time.

GunZet
07-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Well, when starting a character. I sketch out a basic figure or use 3Ds Max to pose a biped skeleton and then I sketch the basic form of the body I want over that.
I usually use lots of lines but really tightly together so I can get all the detail I want in without it being too messy. After that I just go over the sketch and go from there.

Fenn
07-19-2011, 04:41 PM
I start my sketch by trying to press lightly so I can erase. 5 Lines later I'm pressing with full force and it's all downhill from there.

Honestly I have 0 ability to sketch. Every drawing ends up being my final copy...

Japxican
07-19-2011, 05:58 PM
I sketch all the time. First I start with a sort of advanced stick figure. Then, I draw an outline of the body. Finally, I work in the details and erase the rough frame. I usually don't just draw. Everything start off with a sketch; that way, I can get my proportions right, or almost right as I'm never perfect.

BlueExorcist
07-19-2011, 07:11 PM
when i sketch, i use alot of lines.. none of them have anything to do with the finished drawing, i'm just a relatively lazy drawer and i draw sloppily when i'm very lazy. I have a problem with making my lines too rugged, but for my final... layer, i use my best drawing.

oh, and another thing, i only draw my best when i see how the drawing is going to turn out, or, whether or not i am going to like the finished product.

so is that what ya wanted?

Slurpee
07-19-2011, 09:10 PM
well basically once I took a remedial art class, and I think the only thing I remembered from my teacher was
-draw less sketch lines
-sketch as lightly as possible
also i was wondering is because many artists feel that the life of the drawing is gone after they line art it sometimes. So if the foundation is better than so will everything else.

bambi
07-19-2011, 09:19 PM
I only sketch, but I guess it's not really sketching if you consider it complete. I use lots of lines but I also shade.
I just can't seem to draw clean lines...

Rio
07-20-2011, 09:59 PM
also i was wondering is because many artists feel that the life of the drawing is gone after they line art it sometimes. So if the foundation is better than so will everything else.I'm one of those people who prefers seeing the sketches because they are the raw images. You can see and get a feel for what the artist was doing at the time depending on the thickness or deep impression on the paper among many other factors. That's hard to see on line art. With that said, I do appreciate a well done line art piece.

Personally, if I create a nice sketch but still want to make a line art version, I just copy it and ink the copy instead. C:

trilokcool3
07-20-2011, 10:34 PM
me i don't know anything about the the lines sketches. I have perfected many drawings without using any kind of you know the skeletons , lines, even if while drawing perspective i don't use any what they say 2 points, 3 points..whatever :( . i always do directly, first a very faded sketch then darken it with the pen . Simple like those of kids do. Well i am experimenting of drawing every possible drawings that will take less time and will be a good ones. THATS THE WAY I DO :) :)

Joosh
07-20-2011, 10:55 PM
I would love if Sutari were to post in here... :c
I just use block figure method.

Matt
07-21-2011, 03:04 AM
I do almost nothing but sketch. My sketches to final product ratio is somewhere in the 100:1 range. So, 99 times out of a hundred, when I put my pencil to paper, I draw a circle and some basic guidelines and flesh everything out from there. It's pretty basic, but sometimes I skip a step or erase and retry.

Black_Shaggie
07-26-2011, 03:54 PM
I do my sketches (really loose & messy...but I do use a basic 'circle/stick' frame work method staring with one bold expression line) with a blue pencil first & enhance those lines with a good old fashioned #2. I'm sure most of you guys allready know that light blue, no-photo pencils don't pick up on copiers or scanners, so I can be as sloppy as I need to be.

This way, I figure I can keep the sketchy essence of my drawings intact, but still scan it into PS to do colors & other stuff to them later. I don't have to erase many lines this way either. I go through a LOT of blue pencils...

If I'm doing something that I intend to finish in PS & I want it to have really clean lines, I'll pen the blue sketch instead of pencil it. I loose some of the feel of my original sketch this way but the end result still looks nice.

I really love loose & sketchy lines! :cat_rosy:

Hamachi
07-27-2011, 05:00 AM
Another suggestion about pencils...

If you don't mind your work being in pencil, one thing I've found that helps a lot is to sketch with a fairly hard lead (blunt hb is fine actually) and then go over it with softer leads. There are two benefits to sketching this way:

1. The graphite doesn't stick to the paper as much, so your motions will be much smoother and "flow"-ier.

2. Your preliminary lines will be a lot fainter, and if you keep 'em they might actually look rather nice. Call it your style. Aheheh.

I have a mechanical drafting pencil with a super-thick HB lead specifically for this purpose, but to each his own. xD

Edit: I'm in partial agreement against the overuse of lines. I do feel that restatement is a good thing, as is getting a feel for the shapes you want by some trial and error. However, it is true that this sort of thing should be minimized.

nisaren
07-27-2011, 11:12 AM
I generally use a lot of lines when I lack confidence in what I'm drawing. That being said, I use a couple construction lines and then quite a few exploratory sketch lines. The more I understand an object the fewer lines and the cleaner my sketches get.

When I'm drawing digitally in SAI, I set the Pen tool to 25% opacity and then put down a lot of lines, makes a sloppy sketch in which the lines I like are being built up and reinforced. After I have a better sense of the piece, I may elect to lower the opacity on the first layer and make a new layer to do more sketches in which case the lines are much more confident and clean. If I'm still not happy with the sketch, I may continue doing this until I am.

I would like to be able to do what Josh mentioned as a Block figure method, however, I think you need to be able to hold a pretty clear image of what you're drawing in your mind to be able to do that (but maybe I'm misunderstanding what it is). I'm still working my way up towards being able to do that. With my method, I'm kind of easing my brain into firming up the details of the drawing.

Celestial-Fox
07-30-2011, 04:47 PM
I am awful at sketching, really. D: I showed this to Matt a long time ago just because it was THAT bad. XD

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x96/Celestial-Fox/091111Laylasketch.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x96/Celestial-Fox/091111Laylacopy.png

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x96/Celestial-Fox/091110Disketch.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x96/Celestial-Fox/091110Dicopy.png

And yes, I seriously used those sketches to make that lineart, haha. I have no clue how I do it, because the sketches are so vague. orz

I like to use a lot of lines and no shapes for guidelines other than circles and arcs in the torso. But if you'd like to make cleaner sketches (which isn't a method that works for everyone!), try using Hamachi's suggestion. That worked well for me. :)

tagYURIT
08-20-2011, 11:13 AM
Sketch?. .lets see. . .I use contour lines mostly. .especially on hands. .following the basics on hand anatomy makes it look awkward. .I also think that I have graduated from using boxes and circles. .coz Ive got the hang of doing human anatomy. .but i still use the sausage body. .(you know. .the ovals. .) whenever I'm doing complex poses. .like birds eye view. .or super foreshortening. .I sketch the bare body first. then add the clothing and the details. .before. .most of my works are sketches turned final drawing. .but now i use a separate paper for the final sketch. .I"ll trace the final lines of my sketch to the new paper. .thus cleaning my work. .and that's it. .^^

Sunny
08-27-2011, 01:31 AM
It depends on the medium. If it's pencil, I scribble and scribble, then I make a dark outline, sometimes, but mostly I go over it with pen after that.

ram
08-27-2011, 07:23 AM
I don't know how many sketch out there I haven't tried before,

But I tried stick man style, and block style guide lines, and some other type of guide lines before.
when it comes to sketching I just draw to make their basic shapes, you don't have to make them too awesome cause it's in sketch form.
if the main lines becomes not what I want it to look like, I fade them and consider them a sketch as well XD.