PDA

View Full Version : Most Cliche Plots/Characters?

PirateHogs
07-18-2011, 06:56 AM
What are some of the most overused storylines or characters you've come upon while reading manga? The one that I see the most these days are supernatural characters like vampires, angels, ect. but that might just be me..then there's characters who have transformation abilities (sorta like Super Saiyan levels from DBZ).

Rio
07-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Stereotypical characters from any anime, manga, or J-video game. (http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.php?do=/news/stereotypical-anime-manga-characters/) As for plot.... hrm, though stories do start off with the same basic plot, the good ones will differentiate themselves by having different rules to their world, abilities and so on.

Sylux
07-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Basically Ichigos. Or people who "hold back" until halfway through the fight/tennis match/card game.

jubeh
07-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Characters that I hate:
- Cold bad guy that for some reason is cooler than all the other characters, usually because he is very good looking
- Hot headed stubborn hero whose foil is the cool, calculating anti-hero. You can reverse these too so the hot headed guy is the villain.
- Any character that exists simply to make the main character look good
- Young children who exceed adults in every way. Bonus points if they're piloting robots. More bonus points if the writer uses them to preach his own philosophies.
- Characters with hilarious "flaws" (ie the main guy in zatch bell being TOO SMART)
- Characters with value dissonance who are never called out on it (Did you just slam dunk a baby!?)
- Cocky fantasy guy who smirks all the time but never gets punished for being cocky in any way.
- Pretty much anyone who smirks.
- Seriously what it is with amateur fantasy writers and smirking.

I can't think of any bad plots but there are some terrible plot devices I hate.
- Hero suddenly makes a huge come back during battle with little to no explanation
- Hero trains in the mountains to learn how to deus ex machina during the next fight
- All conflicts are resolved through combat, especially small misunderstandings that could be cleared up with a short explanation
- Child protagonist has a better understanding of the world then jaded veterans and ends doing something miraculous despite the logistics or practicality of it. Bonus points if its during some sort of war.

bambi
07-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Too many really feminine guys. Like, super manly cool guys and then really feminine guys. The dichotomy is too extreme sometimes.

And the girl that everyone is in love with for some reason. Then they fight for her dramatically.

And then in shounen manga there's the whole, "This is the most powerful villain ever!" and then one saga later there's a more powerful guy who's insane, and yet somehow the hero can always become stronger.

Hayashida
07-19-2011, 05:44 PM
James named pretty much everything that I was going to say. One more thing that is really dumb that's in a lot of animes is when some character straight up molests a girl and for some reason everyone is okay with it. Like wtf, really?

LVUER
07-20-2011, 02:36 AM
TV Tropes is your best friend for things like this ^_^
My list is :
1. An ordinary plain guy suddenly getting his own harem (for reason unknown).
2. Cool "good" guy turns bad.
3. Cool "bad" guy turns good.

Delphinus
07-20-2011, 08:57 AM
2. Cool "good" guy turns bad.
3. Cool "bad" guy turns good.

Tropes Are Not Bad. It's not exactly unknown for people to change allegiances in real life, let alone in fiction. So long as you handle it well and not just as "omg I c da err0r of ma wayz an join u bcuz u r s0 good", neither of those are clichés.

Aether
07-20-2011, 10:48 AM
Pretty much every single anime/manga ever. Like seriously, all the same characters and plots.

Matt
07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
@Jubeh - Definitely yes on the kids thing. I don't understand how a "talentless" teenager can win a fight against five to ten adults who have been training their whole lives. Yes, my favorite manga is HSDK, and yes that happens a lot. I just pulled that example straight from the manga.

I'm getting sick of the "blank slate" type of protagonist. Y'know, the one featured in every visual novel ever as getting all the girls and having sex with all of them, despite his only good feature being that he's the only guy in the game who's not old or evil? That leaves me with one visual novel I actually like. Like, REALLY like:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney

Originally, I was gonna say I hated it when everyone liked a certain boy/girl for no good reason other than "s/he's hot," but then I suppose real life's like that, too.

jubeh
07-20-2011, 05:05 PM
To be fair when I was a kid I loved child protagonists and I hated adults so it made sense. I would say, though, if you want a story to be taken seriously by readers and not be considered a BABY'S TOY then maybe not have a child protagonist.

Matt
07-20-2011, 06:39 PM
^This. When I was in my single-digits, I automatically assumed all the people I heard about were kids. I heard the name "Brittney Spears" on TV, I'd watch a group of boring adults doing something I didn't care about, and then I'd see a split second of a shot of a girl on a school bus. Then I'd go, "Yup, that's Brittney Spears." Same thing with Austin Powers. I asked my parents about him after hearing the name at school, and they told me that he was a really stupid camera guy. I was like, "Huh? He's not a kid with super powers?"

It's good to see I wasn't the only one like that. Still, at 17, I'm more mature, and I'd be pretty sick of life if I wasn't. If kids are gonna win a fight against an adult, it's probably not gonna be straight-up fistfight unless the kid is like that 12-year-old in that one milk commercial.

Personally, since I like writing stories featuring teenage protagonists, the heroes/heroines either lose, get saved, or use weapons. Or they don't fight at all, unless it's with other teens.

LVUER
07-20-2011, 10:54 PM
Tropes Are Not Bad. It's not exactly unknown for people to change allegiances in real life, let alone in fiction. So long as you handle it well and not just as "omg I c da err0r of ma wayz an join u bcuz u r s0 good", neither of those are clichés.

I don't really get the meaning of your reply... Of course Tropes are not bad. And the question here is the overused cliche, right? And that's what I wrote.

jubeh
07-20-2011, 11:09 PM
He's saying that because it's not cliche. It's humanity.

BozeSG
07-21-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm getting sick of the "blank slate" type of protagonist. Y'know, the one featured in every visual novel ever as getting all the girls and having sex with all of them, despite his only good feature being that he's the only guy in the game who's not old or evil? That leaves me with one visual novel I actually like. Like, REALLY like:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney

Originally, I was gonna say I hated it when everyone liked a certain boy/girl for no good reason other than "s/he's hot," but then I suppose real life's like that, too.couldn't have said it better...

most cliche plot? right now it's everything trying to imitate k-on and things like that...

Arashi500
07-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Characters that I hate:
- Cold bad guy that for some reason is cooler than all the other characters, usually because he is very good looking
- Hot headed stubborn hero whose foil is the cool, calculating anti-hero. You can reverse these too so the hot headed guy is the villain.
- Any character that exists simply to make the main character look good
- Young children who exceed adults in every way. Bonus points if they're piloting robots. More bonus points if the writer uses them to preach his own philosophies.
- Characters with hilarious "flaws" (ie the main guy in zatch bell being TOO SMART)
- Characters with value dissonance who are never called out on it (Did you just slam dunk a baby!?)
- Cocky fantasy guy who smirks all the time but never gets punished for being cocky in any way.
- Pretty much anyone who smirks.
- Seriously what it is with amateur fantasy writers and smirking.

I can't think of any bad plots but there are some terrible plot devices I hate.
- Hero suddenly makes a huge come back during battle with little to no explanation
- Hero trains in the mountains to learn how to deus ex machina during the next fight
- All conflicts are resolved through combat, especially small misunderstandings that could be cleared up with a short explanation
- Child protagonist has a better understanding of the world then jaded veterans and ends doing something miraculous despite the logistics or practicality of it. Bonus points if its during some sort of war.

Don't know what you hate about smirking so much, but I agree on everything else. Especially the first one, if I'm to root for the hero, I have to A) Not hate him, and B) Not prefer the villain in comparison. This is only really achieved in more adult-aimed fiction though, where the villains are often irredeemable, arrogant Hitler-esques.

jubeh
07-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Im hoping now that I've pointed out the smirking thing you'll see it everywhere and be tortured by it like I am.

Rio
07-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Here's another one: cliche phrases that they say all the time in manga's like "Take responsibility" and "It's 100 years too early", etc.

ClockHand
07-21-2011, 09:32 PM
This is not a cliche phrase, character or scene, its more a cliche narrative.

Making a character to change his personality overcoming his problems to kill the bad guy, save the day and then another villain appear and he has to overcome his old problems AGAIN! And then keep using this same formula to the infinite.

jubeh
07-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Here's another one: cliche phrases that they say all the time in manga's like "Take responsibility" and "It's 100 years too early", etc.

100 years too early is just a common saying. In america we use a similar saying.

You couldn't beat me in a 100 years.

Or something along those lines.

Arashi500
07-24-2011, 07:26 AM
Admittedly though, they are overused, like some universal catchphrase.

edit: The worst has to be "Wanna to see something good?" as if cool, awesome, *insert synonym* make LESS grammatical sense.

CypressDahlia
07-24-2011, 11:28 PM
"the power of friendship"/"fighting spirit"

or the Western parallel

"radiation"/"freak laboratory explosion"

redmagnumx1
07-25-2011, 05:47 PM
ya you rite about that bro what the hell and the girl doesnt say anything and everybody seems fine with it seems emotionless