PDA

View Full Version : comment on body proportions

usern876
12-26-2010, 02:40 AM
http://i.imgur.com/dShy2.png

Please give me feedback on the body proportions of this 10 year old kid.
Ive never done anything like this before, nor do I have any experience on anime body proportions (and not really on real ones).
Does the proportion of the body change from this age onward? I know the head size does, but what about the relative lenghts of the body parts?

Tanatos
12-26-2010, 01:42 PM
The proportion look good to me, you have a clean a precise trace. The only problem I see is on his eyes, the bright must be on the same side of the pupil, on your sketch they are both on the middle;

angel_dreamer13
12-26-2010, 01:58 PM
if the light source is between the subjects eyes, or directly in front of them, the shine is ok.
the proportions look pretty nice to me too.

Tanatos
12-26-2010, 02:33 PM
if the light source is between the subjects eyes, or directly in front of them, the shine is ok.
the proportions look pretty nice to me too.

Oh, you are right, I did not take it into consideration xD

usern876
12-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks.

But surely there must be some maths behind body measurements?
And I also asked:

Does the proportion of the body change from this age onward? I know the head size does, but what about the relative lenghts of the body parts?

Also, are the ears a bit low?

Silent_Sovereign
12-26-2010, 03:14 PM
I don't really feel that I am good with proportions. You can look at my art and tell me, but your proportions for the young kid seems pretty accurate to me (anime and human standard). The ears should be raised a bit higher. It should occupy the space from the eyes to the nose.

The proportion of the body does change over time, and though there is kind of a math to it, you have to look at it and see if it looks rightto you. Argh that made no sense, but sometimes when you draw, you always find yourself making adjustments so things look right. Though there is a math, you tend to stray away from it a bit so you can truly show how things like like in reality. Every guy isn't 6 feet tall and etc.

Okay enough of my 'wishy-washy' answer. I can give you the relative lengths for other body parts. These are measurements for children-adult, but like I said before, it may not always be exact.

Measurements are done according to head size (that sound so weird, but hopefully you know what I mean by head size....if not http://www.idrawdigital.com/2009/01/drawing-the-human-form-proportions-from-child-to-adult/ ).

The website give approximate lengths for a males at different ages, however this does not apply to all males. Remember, anime is an exaggeration of real life and in real life, not everyone is of average height. Some people are taller and some people are shorter. Anyways, back to giving you realative lengths. :P

An Arm length including hands: 3-4 heads approximately (this means that the length of one arm to the other is 6-8 heads, the approximate length of a human being)

The hands: 3/4 of an head for children and adults

The feet: 1 head

Width of the body: Skinny person: 1 head; Average/fit person: 2 heads; fat person/muscular: 2 1/2-3 heads (exaggeration)

I think that is all you may need. I hope this was of some help. Oh, females tend to be of a shorter height than males, but of course not all females are like this. The world is pretty diverse. :-)

Silent_Sovereign
12-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Sorry for the double post but this image is what I meant by body width. You see that as the body become more muscular (or fatter LOL), it tends to grow in width size. http://www.idrawdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/prop_var.gif

angel_dreamer13
12-26-2010, 03:19 PM
yes, the ears are a bit too low. the top of the ear is usually around the level of the middle/upper portion of the eye. I've seen ears drawn at all different heights though actually, depending on the style, so guess you could just go with whatever you think looks the best.
if there is a mathamatic system behind body proportions I'm not the one to ask about it, lol. I use a few tips when I draw; the length of the body from where the legs meet the torso should be equal too the length of the legs themselves, the tips of the fingers should reach roughly the middle of the sides when the arms are down, and the hand should be about the same length as the face from wrist to fingertips. but like I said, you already seem to have a pretty good grasp of proportions and anatomy, so I doubt you really need help in that department.
the only difference I've really noticed about proportions for different ages, besides the head shrinking, is that shoulders and hips are generally wider, the hips being more pronounced in females and the shoulders more pronounced in males. that's about it though. someone else might be able to give you more tips.

usern876
12-27-2010, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the links.
I dont understand how you measure the body parts by comparing them to the head, I thought the head size changes over age?

I tried comparing my proportions with other art over the internet,
in some cases they match perfectly:
http://i.imgur.com/pdydX.jpg
but in many cases either the hands appear to be too long or the legs appear to be too short:
http://i.imgur.com/GKPOX.jpg
I wonder if the relativeness of the hands+arms and legs changes over age. Does this make any sense?

Silent_Sovereign
12-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Yeah that makes sense. It does change with age. A taller person would have a longer arms or legs than someone who is short.

Your proportions are right on because they match the body of the person. Other artwork may have pictures of a young boy, but with a different body type thus they have different proportions. Body Proportions depends on the body type of the individual rather than age.

Oh if you don't get the head thing, that is okay. It is actually more complicated than people make it out to be. Head size does change with age. The head size thing is just a relative unit used to measure different parts of the body. It is not exact, but it is a good measure to compare the torso to the legs for example.

I would say to keep comparing your picture to other pictures. You may find that you have to make slight adjustments or you may find that you don't have to change anything. Proportions are only specific to body, not age. So as long as everything matches well, you did good. Your picture looks spot on to me, so I hope you aren't comparing for too long. :)

usern876
12-29-2010, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the info so far.

But Im talking about 'relative' values:
http://mech.utah.edu/ergo/pages/Educational/safety_modules/ctd-anthropometry/index_files/image002.gif
think of it as the aspect ratio of an image. It is 4x3, but it can be 320x240 size in pixels, or 800x600 or 1024x768. I want to know if the 'aspect' ratio of human body changes from this age onward (except the head size).
Some of images I compared to show that it doesnt, some do.

Silent_Sovereign
12-29-2010, 05:43 AM
Sorry for confusing you before, but now I see what you are trying to get at. I have never seen these values before. What units are they? I don't know proportions in terms of technical units like feet or inches, only in comparison to other body parts. The 'aspect ratio' of a body stays consistent after the age of 17 and older. Those are the ages the body stops maturing so it maintain a certain ratio. Young children, especially at the age of 10, ratio changes in adulthood because they are beginning to mature. So the "aspect ratio" of a child will not be like that of an adult. To answer that question, the aspect ration DOES changes from this age onward. :( I'm sorry I could not be of more help. OH! And I am sorry for confusing you before.

I think it would be best if you searched for a photograph online for people of different ages and measure the length of each body part and such. You can use the values you get as relative values of a person at that age. This is what I used to do. I can tell you this, the aspect/relative ratio lengths of the human body DO NOT CHANGE in an age group. All adult males/females will have the same ratio. All child boys/girls will have the same ratio. Maybe with some slight differences for each as everyone is slightly different in their body type.

usern876
12-29-2010, 11:23 AM
The units aren't important, which makes me guess you didn't understand it completely.
When we say the aspect ratio of an image is 4x3, those numbers aren't in any units, they are just relative values.
The height of the person on that image is 1 (1.000) "unit". The other lenghts are based on that. If your person is 1.8 meters tall, you could just multiply it with the rest of the lenghts to get them in meters.

Silent_Sovereign
12-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah. The Head proportion thing is based on that. The head is the unit used to determine other lengths. Like the ideal adult is about 7.5-8 heads tall. The average length of a male head is 9 inches and the average length of a woman head is 8 inches. That means the average height of a male and female is 6 feet and 5.5 feet respectively, which is approximate. The reason I brought up units like inches and feet was because one unit does not mean anything really when it isnt given purpose.

Saith
12-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Well generally, everything gets thinner compared to it's length.
So, arms would grow longer but wouldn't get much wider, same with legs and torso. The neck, at least in manga, is accentuated moreso as the characters age.

And, of course, there're the things that change as you hit puberty. Wider shoulders compared to hips for men, hips grow as wide as/wider than the shoulders for women, along with growing boobs.

And, at least in manga, younger people tend to be chubbier, with more rounded lines, while adults are much more angular.

usern876
12-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Well generally, everything gets thinner compared to it's length.
What?

Do the values on the image I posted above change?
I know about the shoulders and breasts, im asking about the relative values of the arm+hand and legs

Saith
12-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Well, I just mean that, say you have a kids arm that's Xcm long, and Ycm thick. If the arm grows 10cm longer, it won't grow 10cm wider. If that makes sense.
So everything sort of stretches, I guess.

I don't know the actual values, I'm just speaking on relative terms.

usern876
12-30-2010, 12:28 PM
forget the wideness, im asking about the (relative) lenght