PDA

View Full Version : baka-neko art thread :D

baka-neko
07-09-2011, 04:42 AM
Hi,

I've started this thread for having a little comments and critiques about my drawings...

Let's start with this one:

I actually started to learn to draw in chibi style recently, what do you think about this drawing ? Also what do you think about the coloring ?

Thanks in advance :D

ram
07-09-2011, 05:05 AM
the coloring is really good! but you didn't put any shadows in the hair xD
but it's a good idea that you put lights in the skin! and pattern in the stocking..

as for the chibi goes.. i can't really comment cause we have different style on drawing chibi
but you have nice style of drawing chibi and i really like it!

edit: my style is more like this
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/skyramiel/067.jpg

baka-neko
07-09-2011, 05:24 AM
@ramiel:
Thanks for your comment :)
Indeed, the hair appears a little flat without shadows... Actually I'm not very good in adding shadows and I think I need some training... Does the shadows on the body feels right ?
By the way, I don't know if it is visible but the paterns in the stocking are actually stars :p (the cloth: USA flag...)

ram
07-09-2011, 05:59 AM
Does the shadows on the body feels right ?

actually i don't know where the light is coming from... but there are other people out there that make shadows in the body just random and ignore the rules to make it look awesome..
but if your basing it on accurate ones then i would likely say there are a lot light in there...

baka-neko
07-09-2011, 06:17 AM
Actually I did not think accuratelly about the lighting... the light comes from the right but I did not respect this for everything...

UPDATE: I've added some shadows in the hair, and some highlights:

Scarletlight
07-09-2011, 06:35 AM
shes cute! I love the style.

ram
07-09-2011, 06:39 AM
nice dude... just make some shadows for the hair in back of the head.. you did put some shadow but it's not enough.
also make some shadow for the eye whites..
and shadow in the skin coming from the hair

baka-neko
07-09-2011, 08:45 AM
@Scarletlight:

@ramiel:
Updated:

ram
07-09-2011, 08:24 PM
nice dude...
what do you plan to do with the wings?
it might be cute for it to have some patterns as well..

erikamae
07-09-2011, 09:20 PM
woah!
I think I'll buy Tzvety a Ferrari!

baka-neko
07-10-2011, 06:02 AM
@ramiel:
Actually I'm not planning anything for the wings :p I think I'll leave them like that for now, I don't have much inspiration about the patern and want them to not be in focus or too detailled.

@erikamae:

I think I'll call it completed for now :)

outlaw1422
07-12-2011, 03:26 AM
This is just too damn cute. After reading stuff like Gantz and Vinland Saga for the past few weeks, it's good to see stuff like this lol.

IMO, the wings would look awesome if you mess with the lighting a bit and add those veiny patterns you see on leaves and fly wings. Also, have you thought about glitter/pixie dust? Other than that, the whole thing looks awesome.

(exhale) OK. I'll be going back to my manly violence now lol

baka-neko
07-12-2011, 07:50 AM
@outlaw1422:
I don't think I'll return on this drawing, I get borred quite fast when staying on the same drawing for days -.-
By the way, I'm not only in cute things, my favourite manga is Berserk :p

Egoslip
07-12-2011, 12:11 PM
@outlaw1422:
I don't think I'll return on this drawing, I get borred quite fast when staying on the same drawing for days -.-
By the way, I'm not only in cute things, my favourite manga is Berserk :p

Wooo Berserk fans ftw!!! Awesome piece too.. simple and elegant.. good colors too .. keep it up! :D

baka-neko
08-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone :)

Here's my latest drawing, done for my blog (baka-neko.fr), too bad it appears only in a small corner of the page :p

I sense something terribly wrong with this drawing (appart from its simplicity), can you help me improve it ? Thanks in advance :)

ram
08-23-2011, 10:21 PM
i.... can't..... resist... to... look.... O~<

It's super cute already dude. don't really know what you want it to look like but it's fine to me,

I'm having worldly desires at your work

baka-neko
08-24-2011, 05:53 AM

nisaren
08-24-2011, 07:09 AM
Looks nice although the bump on her right (our left) leg seems a little odd to me. Also her left (our right) hand needs to have a thumb pointed towards us. Other than that it's a very nice piece. :)

baka-neko
08-24-2011, 03:11 PM
@nisaren: Thanks for your comment, I'll try to correct this.

Egoslip
08-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Yeah.. that bump on her hip.. looks odd because it's not defined on the other side.. smooth it out some :D... super cuteness though :3

Gedeon
08-25-2011, 11:25 AM
The only thing i see thats wrong is that
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2Ddi0EVbpnYTCj9r8VgXLGsbgqRUkE PdUbm0wgd2QpY_OuPOo
Y U NO GIVE LITTLE GIRL A THUMB ON LEFT HAND

Evil_Cake
08-25-2011, 01:03 PM
cool she has 2 right hands like J Geil

Slurpee
08-25-2011, 05:30 PM
yeah her other hand is weird. everything else is pretty fine

baka-neko
08-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Yep her left hand is weird, and I didn't even notice that -.-

ram
08-26-2011, 07:31 AM
cool she has 2 right hands like J Geil

I really love how Evil_cake post

baka-neko
08-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Update :p

trilokcool3
08-26-2011, 11:52 AM
NICE......
hmmm.....1>> what happen to her foot...it will be nice if it is done in difFerent way....
2>> fingers (her right hand) 4 FINGERS !!!!!?
3>> red spots on her cheeks.... i am thinking that will it look good if you place those inside the face ......MAY BE..

baka-neko
08-26-2011, 04:05 PM
@trilokcool3:
I like to group 2 fingers like this, its a mater of personal style, same thing with the small foots... maybe :p

baka-neko
08-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Same character but this time in a semi-realistic version :p

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/240/4/2/42f6840aed0d0c9eca342a83ab358060-d483zf5.jpg

andr3ytp
08-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Oh.. look so cute , love her hair :D

baka-neko
08-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks ^^

baka-neko
08-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Updated the right side of the hair, as it was not symetrical -.-

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/241/3/8/384dfebe2d8c7b8ddded02e667a6f515-d483zf5.jpg

Gedeon
08-29-2011, 01:33 PM
holy crap! I didn't expect something like this from you (no offend intended(i sounded like a jerk -w-'))

ram
08-29-2011, 09:07 PM
freaking awesome

baka-neko
08-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks ^^

Leannah
09-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Yeah it's really good, but the ear is a bit too far back in my opinion

baka-neko
09-19-2011, 03:19 PM
@Leannah: Thanks ^^

Here's is my latest drawing, for the futur donation page of my blog, where I'll upload some free home-made games and software :D

DemonChild101
09-19-2011, 07:49 PM
SOooooooooooooOO CutE!!!!
wish i looked that good in just a tie

Gedeon
09-20-2011, 03:39 AM
Somebody stole her clothes! OAO
XD Im just not sure if that's a drool or a tooth in her mouth.

baka-neko
09-20-2011, 05:07 AM
@DemonChild101: Thanks ^^

@Gedeon: Thats a drool, she is so poor and hungry -.-

Gedeon
09-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Ah crap now you made me sound like an asshole _-_

baka-neko
09-21-2011, 10:29 AM
-.-
Updated a little :p

baka-neko
10-21-2011, 01:04 PM
One month later -.-

Here's a new one, done for the "back to the top of the page" icon in my blog -.-

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/294/6/4/top__d_by_kamui82-d4dhugs.jpg

baka-neko
01-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Hi everyone, long time no see :)
Here's some drawings I did since the last time :
Mario & Yoshi, Moe girls version :D
Done for a little Yoshi contest on a french gaming website...
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/027/8/e/8e3431192d9e562fe29f49ebee67b122-d4nsh1p.png
And a little chibi character, done for a smartphone application I'm working on :
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/028/5/0/sakura_chan___oc_by_kamui82-d4nvali.jpg
Enjoy :)

Cloudy
01-28-2012, 09:36 PM
I adore the last one <3 shes cute

baka-neko
01-29-2012, 04:34 AM
thanks ;)

corastaur
01-29-2012, 01:52 PM
These are so adorable!!! Love the bottom one's expression :)

baka-neko
01-30-2012, 05:49 AM
Thanks ^^

baka-neko
04-08-2012, 11:05 AM
My yearly art progression (or is it regression ? -.-) :

2006: Started to learn to draw, on pencil & paper, using references.
2008: Started to draw using a Wacom tablet, from imagination.
2009: Started to use colors, and drawing in Manga style.

So, progression or regression ? -.-

baka-neko
06-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Hi everyone :)

Here's my entry for the saimoe swimsuit contest. Any comment ? :D

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7366/j294eswim.jpg

ram
06-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Oh how I missed your artwork so much you!.... you!..... *sigh*

for the critique that ink on her knee is misplaced.

baka-neko
06-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Thanks ^^
For the critique, I'll see if I can correct it as the deadline was extended -.-

ram
06-16-2012, 08:18 AM
You don't have to you stupid cat! if people critique at you it'll be hard if you rewrite every artwork specially if it's already finished, you just have to make sure you won't make the same mistake again.

baka-neko
06-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Gomen nasai T.T
Anyway I still have the expression chart to complete -.- I don't know if it must be included, I might use the one from last time as it is the same character after all :p

Shnorkel
06-16-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm loving that drawing of a girl you did in 2009 @___@
Why did you stop drawing stuff like that? I mean, you can draw both anime and those realistic things.

baka-neko
06-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Actually I would have difficulties to redraw now the stuff I did from imagination in 2008/2009, as I'm drawing 100&#37; in chibi or moe manga style now... (I didn't do even one realistic drawing for years) But I do like realism even now, it's just that it seems so difficult for me as the technique is 100% different from manga renderings...

ram
06-16-2012, 09:35 AM
We all have to do realism at one point but we all have to leave and go with the real style that we want in the end.

In the end, if you can't find the difference and the exact same thing about realism and manga/anime style then all your time with studying realism is worthless.

As I see it this stupid cat is going the right path.

baka-neko
06-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks T.T

ScarletHue
06-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Your art style is cute as hell! Mmm if I might suggest something though, I understand that the light line weights are part of the style, but you might want to thicken them sometimes to help the viewer out a little. In this last piece where her stomach is very similar in colour to the background, some stronger line art would help indicate her form to viewers.

baka-neko
06-17-2012, 04:30 AM
Thanks ^^
About the lineart, I will try to change its color, now it is pure black, I will make it like the filling color inside, but much darker.

toast
06-18-2012, 02:59 AM
Hey there (: I understand you're probably done, but I wanna leave a critique. First, I'll say what I like about the image. The soft colors, and the color choices work well with the style you're trying to achieve. This is for a moe contest, anyway, so you do a good job with making that clear in your piece. The gestures and expression are also quite cute, which is good.

Now about the composition. The piece has a LOT of empty space that doesn't add anything to the piece, which can easily be fixed with cropping. Here, I cropped it quickly in paint for you to give you an example:

http://i.imgur.com/gQtqi.png

Do you see how much more focused that is? In the original drawing, my eyes started to wander around the image, and didn't really focus in on the subject. This time, all my focus is on the girl and the cat-cloud-thingy.

The extremely simplistic background really doesn't add anything to the piece, other than establishing that it's really sunny outside and that she's in water. The water looks very Photoshop 5.0, as it seems like it took you 2 minutes to whip up. You didn't do anything to the sky, either, which doesn't make sense because the sky isn't that bright. It's as if you either wanted to do something simplistic and overdid it, or got lazy and decided to whip up a boring background.

Another thing is the character in correlation with the background. The background suggests that it's very sunny outside (I'm guessing, because it's all goddamn white!). However, there is absolutely no shading on the character. This doesn't make sense, as it's a general rule that sunlike causes harsh shades. The veeeery light skin tone really takes away contrast between her and the background, as well. This is really important in the subject of a piece of art. I know you're trying to express the fact that everything is bright and sparkly, but it really washes the character out and makes the piece feel even more empty. You can darken her skin color as a whole if you want, but what you really need to do is add harsher, more defined shading. Why harsher shading? Because that is what happens when you are outside, during a really sunny, clear day. Here are some photo references so you can get an idea of how to shade this. I'll post mostly light people, in case you want to keep the light skin tone, but I'll throw in tan people as well:

http://t1.ftcdn.net/jpg/00/26/29/38/400_F_26293864_rMEiC2YgrdagfPtcwkeLDFbC9RyjaHlI.jp g
^^ small, but the female has really light skin that may be what you're looking for, so you can resize it in a seperate program to get a better look
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/12/05/article-0-0F0E692800000578-552_306x510.jpg

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/peterkirillov/peterkirillov1007/peterkirillov100700004/7357035-young-woman-wearing-bikini-enjoying-herself-on-sunny-day-on-beach.jpg

http://www.zastavki.com/pictures/1152x864/2009/People_Friends__entertainment__recreation_Relax_on _the_sea_beach_013033_.jpg

Another thing about the shading is that you seem to forget that light reflects off objects. Realistically, the blue in the water would reflect onto the character. Animu example, since you can't seem to get enough of animu:

http://www.scenicreflections.com/files/Anime_Girl_at_Beach_Wallpaper_y1etg.jpg

You get the idea. And since you're probably thinking, "but this is manga styled, it's suppose to have simplistic shading like this!". Yes, manga art tends to have simplistic shading, but not so simplistic to wear it ignores shading rules. Take a look through these pictures:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=677&q=anime+girl+at+the+beach&gbv=2&oq=anime+girl+at+the+beach&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=img.3...321.2773.0.2886.23.9.0.14.14.0.121.74 7.6j3.9.0...0.0.bBk9b43M0CA

Now onto the lineart. I see what you're trying to do with the lineart, and I respect that, but it doesn't work well at all with the colors and you seem to exaggerate the brightness effect on the lineart too much. The character is already extremely light, and without the lineart, she just gets lost in the extremely bright background you left. This type of brightness would only really make sense if there was a huge ass lamp surrounding her or something. So you should have done normal lineart, or thicker than normal with the parts in front of the background thinner (but not so thin to where it's disappeared).

And now! Proportions. Since this is a stylized piece, I can't nit pick too much. But I will say that the left leg is very awkwardley shaped, almost like it's bent back despite the leg stepping in. Look at how your own leg bends when doing that same pose. Also, with the right leg (the one bent up), the foot looks like it's floating behind an amputated leg or something. You should have drawn the calf area. Also, by the way you shaded the right leg's knee, it suggests that the knee is pointing down. However, that doesn't make sense since the height of the thigh/knee means it's pointing upwards.

Another thing, the left boob is drawn bigger than the right (unless you purposely want her to have asymmetrical boobies), and it's suppose to be a bit higher than the other since the raised arm is moving up the left side of her body including the boob. Also you put the thumb on the wrong side on the right hand.

One last thing and I'll leave this drawing alone. Her bra doesn't make sense at all. It seems like you drew it normally, but then scribbled in a line and decided that means her bra came undone. Realistically, the bra wouldn't stay put like that. It would be be all bent and moving and shit. Here, I doodled an example:
http://i.imgur.com/Lg255.png
Obviously don't trace it or anything, I'm just showing you what I'm talking about

Now I have this to say. You were doing great with your realism. In fact, it looked 100% better than what you do now, and if you continued, you could have been really beast at art. Switching to such an extremely simple style really seemed to backtrack your progress though, as you seemed to throw away all knowledge of shading, anatomy, etc, just so you can achieve a specific style millions of people do. This is not good for someone who wants to improve in art. I really suggest you try realism again, and get into learning basic anatomy and proportions as a whole. You can still do the anime stuff on the side, but if you're really serious, you need to learn to understand shapes, shading, movement, contrast, etc. If you can't do this, what makes you think you'll be able to improve any further?

PS. okay okay one last thing I noticed, you shouldn't have added lineart to the water splashing up onto her foot. It doesn't make sense since the rest of the water is so simple.

baka-neko
06-18-2012, 08:08 AM
@toast:

Thanks for this very detailed critique :) As you guessed I'm not updating this drawing anymore (I already sent my entry, and I'm very lazy :p ) but your critique is very interesting and will help me for my further drawings...

About my art style, most of my friends tell me the same thing ; that I was doing far better before with my realistic drawings... It's is true that I have left this style for years, but I'm planning to return to it in a near futur, actually I'm planning in coding a visual novel, that would include realistic illustrations, I was planning this project for a long time, but I'm working on other things right now -.- I just need a little time, and a lot of motivation :p My ultimate goal is to be able to draw in the 2 styles with the same ease, as I like the 2 styles the same way ^^

ram
06-18-2012, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't say those past drawings are 100% better since the only things I saw are faces and not bodies, people here are always into realism but as long as you know how muscles work and how bones and joints are, You don't need anything else from it if you really want anime style.

I have to agree on the whole shadow thing but there are lots of ways to understand light source than just draw multiple realistic.
for me I learned on 3d softwares
The light that you should have in that drawing is ambient and parallel light(also called as distant light)
you don't have to think to much for ambient light but the distant light seemed not that defined, unless the ambient light is much stronger.
This is also possible if it's cloudy in the sky(but I guess you didn't draw any clouds nor shadows of clouds in the water so I have to agree that you were wrong on your drawing)

I'd say go back to realism but just go study muscles and joints and bones then you can go back to these types of styles.

toast
06-19-2012, 02:01 AM
here are always into realism but as long as you know how muscles work and how bones and joints are, You don't need anything else from it if you really want anime style.

...which you won't ever fully understand unless you learn about muscles, bones, and joints realistically. You can't understand how the human body moves, how the body changes, etc, unless you actually, i dont know, STUDY it. If an artist is content with having his knowledge of art stop at simple, unrealistic cartoon bodies, then what is the point of trying to improve? What is the point of making art?

I have to agree on the whole shadow thing but there are lots of ways to understand light source than just draw multiple realistic.
for me I learned on 3d softwares

Sure, you can use 3d software to learn how light interacts with objects on an extremely basic level, but I don't understand why you would go through all that when you could look up photos? That software won't show you how different skintones react in light, either.

It's okay to draw anime, and I'm not asking you to start drawing shit like this (although it'd be awesome if you did):

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs14/f/2007/091/b/0/Self_Portrait_2007___drawing_by_dizzykid.jpg

But at least learn to understand objects and humans realistically, then you will truly improve and your art style will develop into something unique.

ram
06-19-2012, 02:48 AM
...which you won't ever fully understand unless you learn about muscles, bones, and joints realistically. You can't understand how the human body moves, how the body changes, etc, unless you actually, i dont know, STUDY it. If an artist is content with having his knowledge of art stop at simple, unrealistic cartoon bodies, then what is the point of trying to improve? What is the point of making art?

Once you understand about drawing complex backgrounds, cities, buildings, satallites and some sofas for your character to sit on, you'll understand that humans are just objects.. you can waste all your time with all these things once you atleast get better on drawing those water waves and shadow of clouds.

you want this stupid cat to keep improving on human anatomy and do this and that which I know he/she(I still don't know your gender baka neko) would study years and years doing only that, but there's a bigger world out there than just human body.

Sure, you can use 3d software to learn how light interacts with objects on an extremely basic level, but I don't understand why you would go through all that when you could look up photos? That software won't show you how different skintones react in light, either.

We manipulate where we want to the light to go in 3d softwares, no matter what it is... ambient or parallel or spot, it's not just basic lights
once you see how light and things move, and you'll understand more about it, if your the one who's really the one manipulating the light..

when you want some guy to just go and copy photo reference, what does he get at the end of the day? a finished copy of some photo,
and nothing else and maybe he would think he's improving but really he's not, he might stick to copying photo reference for the rest of his life.

It's okay to draw anime, and I'm not asking you to start drawing shit like this (although it'd be awesome if you did):

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs14/f/2007/091/b/0/Self_Portrait_2007___drawing_by_dizzykid.jpg

But at least learn to understand objects and humans realistically, then you will truly improve and your art style will develop into something unique.

again there's a far bigger world out there, now you might say, he can study backgrounds and while studying anatomy, you can but it's not good to focus on just humans and explore too many things that you don't know if it's even worth something

erd:
here's a better example
http://www.ufunk.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/JohnHathway-anime-3d-10-650x919.jpg

ClockHand
06-19-2012, 03:37 AM
Once you understand about drawing complex backgrounds, cities, buildings, satallites and some sofas for your character to sit on, you'll understand that humans are just objects.

The voice of the master? How much you know about cities? Architecture? Construction of spaces? or even you know something about furniture design? At least Banhaus should be the first name you should recognize for modern furniture design. At least Alberti is the first name you should know about architecture as design. And I can bet my ass that you don't know none of those name's which are really important for the subjects you are talking with such confidence.

You are also simplifying your argument at saying that ones you understand just about complex background and such the human body isn o different. This is a big mistake, as both subjects have different deepness. The human body as the architecture and design, are indeed complex, but in different manners, and ones you understand those (which is made by drawing realistic pictures), it comes to deepness and layers. Deepness as how much you can get inside those subjects and their stylizations, and layers, on how much of those elements can be layered on the product. And even more, you face with the problems of finishing of the piece, which makes it even more tangling as you must state a communication, a manipulative or provocative feeling to the viewer. So no, just be understanding something by its complexity, doesn't grant you the skills needed to do everything. And neither understanding one thing complexity will give you the skills for every subject.

you can waste all your time with all these things once you atleast get better on drawing those water waves and shadow of clouds.

I don't even understand what you are tying to say. But as I can tell, if you think its a waste of time to try to improve, then I guess there is no point in making critique art threads (read the OP).

you want this stupid cat to keep improving on human anatomy and do this and that which I know he/she(I still don't know your gender baka neko) would study years and years doing only that, but there's a bigger world out there than just human body.

So are you insulting the person who did this thread and you look to defend from a critique he/she asked? That's weird. And yes I know baka neko means "stupid cat", but there is a difference between saying "You want "Stupid Cat" to keep..." to say "You want THIS stupid cat". Think about it.

She wants critiques and those were granted. And yes, its takes years of patience and hard work, like most things in life, and the fantastic thing on art is that you can always keep learning if you want, which makes its very entertaining for the mind.

Also, when you talk about that bigger world outside, are you talking about a moe world? I guess your bigger world is now a little narrow for me.

We manipulate where we want to the light to go in 3d softwares, no matter what it is... ambient or parallel or spot, it's not just basic lights
once you see how light and things move, and you'll understand more about it, if your the one who's really the one manipulating the light..

3D softwares manipulate values. This makes it really hard for them to show how colors behave with different light intensities in real life, where you can see from greens to blues on the human skin. The big problem with 3D softwares is that they are very limited ones is about imitating real life colors facing different lights. And even so you can place those colors in a 3D model, it require you from taking those colors from real life, which makes them useless if you want them for reference, as you are already using real life as reference.

when you want some guy to just go and copy photo reference, what does he get at the end of the day? a finished copy of some photo,
and nothing else and maybe he would think he's improving but really he's not, he might stick to copying photo reference for the rest of his life.

At the end of the day, that person have a final product made be his/her skills, patience and own ingenious. Also, lame question as I could ask the same for moe drawings:

When you want some guy to just go and copy moe draws, what does he have at the end of the day? And nothing else and maybe he would think he's improving but really he' not, he might stick to copy moe drawing for the rest of his life.

^you see what I did there?

And the funny thing, is that the person who copied things from life have even more to teach from us, than you.

For the record, copying things from life is just a step from learning, a really important one that we are going to try to place in the new members as much as we can. Or at least the new members who want to get better.

again there's a far bigger world out there, now you might say, he can study backgrounds and while studying anatomy, you can but it's not good to focus on just humans and explore too many things that you don't know if it's even worth something

Hey ram, there is a far bigger world than moe stuffs.

erd:
here's a better example
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/skyramiel/bigworld.jpg

Oh you tricky rat, you basically asked (before you edited) for people who could say the can also do that. And i guess you edited it, because you knew everyone would blow your ass. So I'm going to say it, I can do it and I can do it better.

Also cheater, post the draw you did again. But thanks to Tzvety I have the link of your draw and I posted again in the spoiler. Isn't the internet jut amazing?

Ram God of mediocrity?

ram
06-19-2012, 03:52 AM
I really don't want to debate at you clock since you seem to be angry at my style in so many ways, you even made a anti-moe thread.

debating at you might just lose my cool..
I'm just trying to give this guy/girl a shortcut which I know you guys would take a lot of time.
Also, baka-neko means stupid cat so I'm sure he understands what might people would call him, and your the last guy I want to hear that I sound rude.

ClockHand
06-19-2012, 04:01 AM
Also, baka-neko means stupid cat so I'm sure he understands what might people would call him, and your the last guy I want to hear that I sound rude.

And yes I know baka neko means "stupid cat", but there is a difference between saying "You want "Stupid Cat" to keep..." to say "You want THIS stupid cat". Think about it.

You seems to be unable to read apparently.

ram
06-19-2012, 04:09 AM
maybe.. I hate reading too many words that I just pass them in the eye if there's a lot of chuck of words.

But before you say to me what sound rude atleast read your own post.

ClockHand
06-19-2012, 04:12 AM
Oh, but I intended to be rude against you, because to be fair, your statements were outrageous for anyone, and for those you deserve to be argumentative crushed. And I have no reason to not being rude against you for what you just said. So the biggest difference in here, is that I'm not defending you in any way, at the contrary I'm attacking you, and I have no intention to not being rude. Still trying to be polite in my rudeness.

Also, try to read sometimes, you might learn something one day.

toast
06-19-2012, 04:13 AM
Once you understand about drawing complex backgrounds, cities, buildings, satallites and some sofas for your character to sit on, you'll understand that humans are just objects.. you can waste all your time with all these things once you atleast get better on drawing those water waves and shadow of clouds.

Except learning complex backgrounds has NOTHING to do with understanding the human body. We are not simple. Our proportions are not something you can learn from looking at various uguuuuu anime styled drawings with extremely simple poses. Look at this:
http://www.trainerscott.net/yoga1.jpg
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/247/4/c/eiji_date__fighting_pose_by_kenshiro_fdp-d2y1850.jpg
http://www.costaricayoga.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/cry-yoga-45.jpg

Do you really think that humans are simple objects, and you don't have to learn how to draw them properly? Do you really think you can get away with correct, interesting poses without understanding the human body realistically? Why do you think he should limit himself when it comes to anatomy? Do you want him to continue on with an art style that has been overdone millions of times? I don't think you understand art and being an artist, plz try again. Sofa and building drawing skills means nothing when your character is boring, uninteresting, and does the same pose everytime.

What are you talking about? Sure, he can draw landscapes and city scenes and what have you, but when his main subject is a human, why should he neglect understanding human anatomy?

except he is, because now he understands how light hits that object. If this guy isn't retarded, he can imagine this object in a different angle, and now he will understand. You can't learn shit with 3d software when it comes to something like this:

http://kxhara.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d503a4w

Unless you want to spend hours trying to sculpt the human body, with all of those details. But then it's not just the way the light hits. Look at the colors, look at the tones. If you seriously think this doesn't help people improve, you may need to get your head checked

I don't even understand what you just said dude

atleast how many of us here on mt can draw this?
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/skyramiel/bigworld.jpg
forgive me for spamming my art.

Congratulations, you can draw boring buildings. You don't know anything about complicated architecture, you just know how to draw typical buildings in perspective. You can do what a high school student in Art 1 can do by the end of the class year. Until you can draw this:
http://download.minitokyo.net/Imperial.Boy.171095.jpg
I will not be impressed. Your art style and coloring style is still extremely typical and overdone (just take a look at every single anime drawing done, ever), your poses are all simple (the only poses you draw in your manga are standing up and sitting down, without an interesting perspective) and when you try to do a somewhat complex pose, you mess up on proportions. You cannot do male anatomy well either (The legs are too thin, the leg is longer than the other, the feet do not make sense. Even the girl's legs are too long. The guys shoulder/neck area is too weird looking (http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee388/skyramiel/page-10.jpg))

Basically, what I'm saying is that you are not in the position to be telling someone to ignore understanding the human body, when you don't understand it yourself. That is what people call ignorance.

ram
06-19-2012, 04:36 AM
I'm throwing the towel on this debate, as it's not really my style to do debates..

I'm sorry for all this baka-neko, I think we spammed to much on your thread as it might no longer be comfortable for you to post another art.
if clocked didn't show up I might feel like saying something but okay fine.

one last thing though

Also, try to read sometimes, you might learn something one day.
maybe... but it's not gonna be your post that I'm going to read.

baka-neko
06-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Calm down guys no need to get angry T.T

I think every artist have to start by learning how to draw realisticly, I myself started like that, by copying reality you'll learn most of the principles and techniques used in drawing in general. Here's an example of one of my early copy drawings (2008, I started to draw in 2006) :

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1184/080412eye5comp.jpg

But then you will find artists that you like, and your style will change, for me I like moe stuff, so I took that direction...

So realism is important, but btw, even moe art is a form of art, with its own complexity, there are moe artists out there that can amaze you, with unmatched creativity and / or technique...

BTW Ram, I'm a guy -.-

ClockHand
06-19-2012, 02:34 PM
but btw, even moe art is a form of art, with its own complexity, there are moe artists out there that can amaze you, with unmatched creativity and / or technique...

I have to disagree, with this as moe is more closed to design than art. This is because this "art style" (and better called design style) is more focused on the elaboration of characters under canonic aesthetic elements which only exist for the sake of the character and not art. And this is one of the problems, as art, must have each one of its elements to be stated for the sake of it and not design. There is also a problem in contrasts between the character and everything else on the canvas, as the style has only being stated for the design (again) of characters and anything else, making it even more focused on a design perspective than an art perspective, and quote dissociative between these two planes on the canvas.

Not saying you can't do beautiful things, but there is a distinction between graceful or aesthetic beauty and art. As many designers do beautiful things, but those are not art, and so as cars can have beautiful shapes, but its still design. And this conflict has seems to been forgotten a little (as I had already discussed with toast personally) when you see today illustrations and making comparison with old traditional illustrations, where the goal of the artist have changed, from the traditional aspect which was more artistic, thinking in emotions, provocations and so on, while today there is a evident focus on design.

Now, actually, my problem with your art style is the lack of thoughts in the elements you are picking for both design and art perspectives. This has been one of the reasons I never wanted to post here (but now that I'm here, why not), as some pieces have a very strong dissociation between childhood, cuteness but also sexuality. I'm always ok with sexuality, but the mix of the three really freak me out of this thread, reason why I never wanted to post critiques here.

As tzvety said, there seems to be a step back on skills, as you did really good things on the past, and your work today is very poor in many aspects. And I believe this is product of the canonic elements you are trying to achieve but you are forgetting rules that come from the realism. There is also a lack of conscious election on the design process, as I said again, you are mixing kids with sex, with in a sense is a horrible way to gain this "cute, naive and pretty" aesthetic, probably you are only going to achieve is to please people with this kind of taste while scarring others.

Also, I'm pretty aware chibi characters doesn't mean they are kids, but again, this is about a style that reflect something according to the decisions made on its elements, and with the chibi elements, you are making a reflect of kids elements, young kinds. Which added with sex create this very scary thing.

There is a problem too when you try to keep the cute style with a less chibi or moe elements, as we can see from this picture:
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/027/8/e/8e3431192d9e562fe29f49ebee67b122-d4nsh1p.png
Which is just another prove of the lack of awareness you have at taking design and stylistic decisions. The big problem in part is because moe style is very canonic, and so taking away that mind set while making it work, is a lot of work.

In conclusion, as I see, your problem is not necessarily at not understanding human body, but trespassing the knowledge to a different style and understanding what different choices while drawing can affect your style. If you want to keep doing moe kids in a sexual maner, I'm in no place to stop you.

baka-neko
07-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Thread censored, as some of my drawings shocked some of you, that was not intended and please don't bring back this subject -.-

Here's some of my recents drawings, both done for some contests on the web, enjoy ;)

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/175/0/8/randomc_tee_contest_by_kamui82-d54o7ft.png

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/183/4/7/chibi_olympics_by_kamui82-d55odel.png

JJJorgie
07-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Those are both really cute! I like the background design of the first one. I don't have any critiques. Keep up the great work.

baka-neko
07-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Thanks ^^

Gedeon
07-17-2012, 04:34 AM
Pretty cute but id like to see some more of that realism you drew!!1

baka-neko
07-17-2012, 05:54 AM
Like this ? :D

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/154/3/e/farewell_aeris_by_kamui82-d1excvu.png

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/150/2/b/my_little_kitten_____by_kamui82-d1excho.png

Gedeon
07-17-2012, 06:43 PM
OAO

YES!!!
THE CAT IS https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgQbttGVTzkj1rGgb0coco3OGChbKHX 1gA5ARIW-VBqVLh8MGd!!! The girl is also awesome but darker shades of the ...well shades couldn't hurt.

baka-neko
07-18-2012, 05:48 AM
Thanks -.-

baka-neko
12-28-2012, 09:27 AM

I've been working on my first Android app : It is called "Nekollection", and it's a simple and light Manga reader. Please check it out here : Nekollection on Google Play (http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.baka_neko.nekollection)

It comes with a short (very short -.- ) sample Manga that I've made (my first Manga, by the way :p ), and I wanted a little critique about it; not only about the drawings, but also about the idea, and texts (for those of you that can read japanese :p ). Of course this is just a sample, with no ambition, made only so that the users of my app will have something to test it right aways, but it was quite fun to make, and I hope they will like it ;) Enough talk, enjoy :D

http://imageshack.us/a/img717/4366/21521586.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img16/3586/57564121.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img577/691/77146753.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img856/2337/96652569.png

ClockHand
12-28-2012, 01:18 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img717/4366/21521586.png

First: Are you proud of this? Do you feel it was well executed? Its aesthetically pleasing or it was your exact vision?

Secondly. I love when I read a comic, and I can't understand a shit of it just by looking the images /sarcasm. I know its your first one, but if you are making a comic in a language that not even, at most 1,8&#37; of the world population, can read, then telling the story properly through images its a big deal.

baka-neko
12-28-2012, 01:58 PM
sorry if you don't understand japanese, but the core idea of the story is in japanese and can't be translated. And I personally think that a manga have to be designed in japanese then translated, because, well manga are from japan -.- (even if japan is 1.8&#37; of the world population)

ClockHand
12-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Wait what?

So you believe that (if you live in Canada for example), to make a "manga" you must write it on japanese first and then translate it? And that the only aesthetical value a manga has to be different than a comic is being written in japanese, because that means it come from japan?

Dude, I'm tired of this discussion about what is a manga and what not, at the end its always a comic with a different name from a distinctive culture (that if we don't belong, we will never understand it, making our version a joke of the original). But my point was not that it was made or not in japanese but rather how the comic was told with images, as you picked to do it on japanese, then at least the images should tell the story, so even people who can't read japanese can have an idea of what is going on, and its the exact problem I see with the comic, as you can't tell what is going on be looking the images. This is like making a entire movie with detailed profile in lost camera.

Anyway, you didn't answered my firsts questions.

baka-neko
12-28-2012, 02:42 PM
About your first question, well yes I'm proud of it. This was my first manga even if it is only two pages. I got the idea about making a sample manga for my app, and designed the 2 pages, then I stopped. I though that I don't have the level to bring it to completion at all, and that's why I proud of it, because, even if it is not perfect I managed to complete it. But yes, it is far from perfect, I think the page 3 is the worst, especially the bottom drawing, because theses are situations and poses new to me and the kind of things I did not practice much...

ClockHand
12-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Oh I wasn't asking you about the manga, just that drawing I quoted. About making a comic, ya you should always feel proud of succeeding in finishing it.

Also, you are always going to be making poses you have never practiced before (and camera views you have never practiced).

Joosh
01-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Pretty sure her left knee would be in extreme amounts of pain in that position, maybe even broken.

darkmousysminion
01-25-2013, 12:24 AM
Aww. This is cute. Although how exactly is the core idea untranslatable? I read Japanese and could easily see this translated in English. 英語、日本語で読めるのはやさしいでしょう。

Also, while manga traditionally comes from Japan, there are a variety of successful mangas from all over the world that were in their respective languages before they were in Japanese. It has become just another style of graphic novel.

Anyway, I like your style. I think the anatomy needs a little tweaking, particularly around arms and legs, but overall it's a nice work. Good luck with getting the app started :).

baka-neko
08-31-2013, 08:58 AM

@darkmousysminion: Thanks ^^ Indeed this manga could be translated in english, but I personally suck at translation (my English is quite bad, I'm French :p ).

I've been making simple games for the OUYA Android gaming console recently. My first one is called "Night Riders" and is available right now. Please check it out if you have an OUYA ;)

My upcoming game is still at a prototype level, and is much more ambitious : a 3D RPG ^^

Here's a portrait of one of the main characters. I've tried some new things with this drawing : Since a few years, I'm drawing 100&#37; digitally. With this drawing, the line art is done traditionally with a pencil on paper, then I scanned the drawing and colored it with Photoshop. As you can see with my previous drawing, the style has changed a lot, But I think I will go in this direction for this game ;)

If you have any critique about this change in style, please tell me. By the way, my goal is to have a fast process to make a lot of drawings for my game without loosing much time, that's why the pencil drawing was not cleaned at 100% and the coloration is basic.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/5946/rzi6.jpg

JJJorgie
09-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Honestly, I don't really see a change of "style" necessarily, it really just looks like your anatomy's lacking with the long pencil-neck, super wide face, and too low of nose and eyes. I hope this doesn't sound super harsh :/

Gaff
09-05-2013, 07:31 PM
I like the way you've done the eyes actually, but yeah - not a fan of the neck either.

baka-neko
09-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the critique. Too bad this is a traditional drawing and would be too hard to correct -.-

Demonfyre
09-09-2013, 07:42 PM
To be fair, since it is stylised, it's not really worth pointing out anatomy defects, but I would urge you to return to that area. I find the facial proportions to be the area that jars my eyes personally. If the subjects head is supposed to be tilted downwards (I assume), then I think it would be worth you going back to the basics and really setting out the head guidelines like you would a regular skull, but then manipulating the proportions for the style. Otherwise, maybe review the proportions of the face again so you can ground your style in the relatability of realism and make it more appealing to the eye?

baka-neko
11-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Hi,

I've been trying to change my rendering style (again), now with a more traditional oil painting look. It is still done digitally with Photoshop.

Here's my first attempt, it is just a rendering on an old drawing. So, any critiques ?

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/397/sl6c.jpg

PS. :
Here's the original drawing : http://kamui82.deviantart.com/art/Night-Riders-Alice-OC-386394590

Gaff
11-09-2013, 05:35 PM
If you're working in photoshop, have you tried using the sharpen filters at all? I find it helps define the brush strokes and adds some texture, giving the image more of a 'paint on canvas' feel.

http://i.imgur.com/Uwjf4X4.jpg

baka-neko
11-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the tip ^^ Indeed my painting was quite blurry, and looks already better sharpened. I'll give it a try ;)

Sylux
11-11-2013, 08:44 AM
hmmm it looks like she has no chest, u might want 2 try and give that area some volume also she appears 2 be contorted in a weird way, her back isnt bent enough 2 achieve that position. but i agree that it looks cool

baka-neko
05-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Hi everyone, long time no see :p

I've been working on my next game, a Japanese style RPG codenamed "Project Light". Official web-page : http://baka-neko.fr/projectlight

Here's a portrait of the main character, I'm planning to make such drawings for the dialog windows in-game. Any critiques ?

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/120/5/8/haru__oc__by_kamui82-d7glzty.png

Tetsu Yawl
06-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Gotta say your game lacks texture, I know your art is supposed to be simple, but it's so flat it feels unfinished. Character models are rough and edgy. Reminds me of the game I'd make on RPG maker 2 on PS2. Which is dated as heck. At the same time you made those rocks so sharp. Just..What? And you're french? A .fr would be better off with a .com. However I know nothing of websites or whatever, I live in quebec canada and would never even dare using .qc lol xD. but yeah if your main source of views comes from France well thats a good thing(pointing at sites like joueurdugrenier.fr). Also I agree with Clock for the language you pick for your stuff. If it's japanese most people wont be able to understand. Unless you want your stuff to be only seen in japan.The whole point of making manga style out of japan is exactly to make it circulate and learn from it. Language and style don't necessarely come in one package. Anyway that's my too cents and yeah last pic is pretty and simple. Thus pretty simple. No mouth? kk I feel like you make your art for yourself and not really for a definite public target...Hell, how could I know?

The rest was already said by debate several pages ago, no need to repeat. You tend to ignore comments about atanomical issues with your lolish characters, which is very bawd. Those are the most important ones.