PDA

View Full Version : OKAY NEW IDEA! Need feedback on concept, suggestions

Fenn
06-29-2011, 09:27 PM
EDIT: new idea instead, on page 2.
old idea:

I'd like to get working on a simple arcade game using Game Maker. The idea is a pseudo-fighting game, but one centered around projectile use. The inspiration is the fact that in most fighting games projectiles are a topic of complaint because people want brawling to be the focal point, so why not make a fighter centered around projectiles? Imagine the likes of Megaman and Samus battling it out (just as an example!)

The fighting space can be divided into thirds:
- high (character's lower half when standing)
- mid (characters upper half when standing)
- low (empty space when standing)

Fighters can walk, sprint, shield, crouch (dodge high and mid attacks), jump (dodge low attacks), and super jump (dodge mid and low attacks)

Fighters will have three basic attacks:
- beam: cannot be shielded
- wave: covers high, mid, and low (aka cannot be dodged)
- shot: can be shielded or dodged, but breaks through other projectiles.

Fighters will also have three special moves.

CypressDahlia
06-29-2011, 09:37 PM
You should check out the Tohou fighting games (or play them) for inspiration on how to detail/balance this kind of system.

jubeh
06-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Yeah the touhou fighting games are good minus the randomness. Also senko no ronde.

CypressDahlia
06-30-2011, 02:31 AM
Isn't Senko more of a straight arena shooter, though?

But speaking of which, I've been playing this old game called Gunhound, which is like Senko and Suguri's ancestor by a couple years. Check it out, I guess.

Fenn
06-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Hm sounds like I should check it out. I wonder if youtube has vids...

EDIT: just watched both games...guys I think I confused you about the genre. I'm talking 2D fighter like SSBB or SSFIV, but focused on projectiles. Imagine everyone is Samus or Akuma, but they have more types of projectiles and no melee...

jubeh
06-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Um like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z2RdES7Xew

If senko no ronde used 2d and sprites there would be no question as to what kind of game it was. The graphics throw people off.

CypressDahlia
06-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Well, what type of game is it? Judging from gameplay it's like a bullet-hell version of Gunhound.

Fenn
06-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Um like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z2RdES7Xew

If senko no ronde used 2d and sprites there would be no question as to what kind of game it was. The graphics throw people off.

Similar, yes. Weird, when I looked up the name I got a top-down scrolling shooter akin to Ikaruga.

Mine will be that, with no melee, and less combo-oriented. It will feel more rock-paper-scissors based, although not that concrete and random of course.

CypressDahlia
07-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Hmm. I dunno about that, then. Even the Tohou games have some melee to retain some semblance to a fighter. I don't know how you could incorporate the different hitzones without it...IMO, it wouldn't be very effective as gameplay would probably have to be significantly fast to avoid spam. Too fast to actually care about //where// you're hitting the opponent.

The only way I can see this working effectively is if you do like an Acceleration of Suguri type thing. But hey, if you do get this work, it'll be a pretty fresh experience.

Handy333
07-08-2011, 02:59 AM
I really cannot believe this...

Fenn
07-09-2011, 02:52 PM
I really cannot believe this...

Believe what? The idea? My ignorance of obscure games?

ClockHand
07-10-2011, 05:16 PM
You need to solve the link between range attacks (this can be done with OTG attacks) and a curve for damage with links (in every fight game there is a curve of damage when you do a combo, the longest the combo the weaker the attacks, but it need to be balanced so its always rewarding to do a combo, but never to much to kill someone with only one combo).

CypressDahlia
07-10-2011, 08:12 PM
^ proration. But TBH, I don't think comboing with projectiles is a good idea. Try to make it more about precision than spamming huge hitboxes like in BlazBlue.

Fenn
07-11-2011, 10:22 AM
You need to solve the link between range attacks (this can be done with OTG attacks) and a curve for damage with links (in every fight game there is a curve of damage when you do a combo, the longest the combo the weaker the attacks, but it need to be balanced so its always rewarding to do a combo, but never to much to kill someone with only one combo).

There will be OTG attacks (Wave attacks touch the floor, and other attacks can be shot low), but not really combos. Think of it more like a boss battle in Megaman Zero, except both players are humans and can actively dodge. The metagame will (hopefully) be based around pushing your opponent into difficult situations where they can't avoid the next attack.

Fenn
07-24-2011, 02:50 PM
OKAY new idea, this one is a puzzle game. The theme is an intergalactic mining and resource facility.

Objects come down a conveyor belt, each with it's own shape and weight. You must place these objects in boxes, represented by a grid (probably 5x5 or 6x6). Once a box is filled, you click done. That box is converted into a square of a size based on how much stuff you put in it and where you put it. Potential idea: The boxes must then be placed on a cart, another grid, and shipped away. You are scored on time and using the fewest boxes.

Later on certain objects will have special properties. Radioactive materials must be kept away from other materials. Fragile materials must be placed in last. And other types.

Some modes will have a preset order of materials being sent down. Other modes will have random sets. Some orders will have few objects, others will have many. If you go too slow, the delivery line gets backed up and can eventually cause game over.

While I begin programming and spriting, any ideas, suggestions?

Evil_Cake
07-24-2011, 03:24 PM
you should make a game that involves throwing boxes

jubeh
07-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Fenn not to get all modly but couldnt this sort of thing go in the game developers thread.

Also godammit cake.

ClockHand
07-24-2011, 08:16 PM
you should make a game that involves throwing boxes

A game that you throw boxes that when hit build a box launcher, your enemy does the same so the winner is the one who cover most space of the battle ground with his boxes.

Evil_Cake
07-24-2011, 08:28 PM
cool

Fenn
07-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Fenn not to get all modly but couldnt this sort of thing go in the game developers thread.

Also godammit cake.

We have a game developers thread...