PDA

View Full Version : Art by Story

StoryTeller
12-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Hi guys, sorry if I had to remake my thread but I felt that had to start again from the beginning and learn the basics. I'm also learning how to use SAI which is a bit different compared to Photoshop. It has tools that I'm not familiar so I had to experiment with some. I hope to get some good advice and opinions with the comments so I can improve. Thanks ^^

Here is a page that I quickly sketched and one of the drawings coloured through SAI.
http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/horde360/practice-2.jpg

Tsig
12-30-2010, 09:18 PM
All of the sketches look great, and I applaud you for learning a new program =D Trying to master a new program has always intimidated me lol As for the color pick, it looks good so far, but as you get more comfortable with the program you may want to try shading the colors too e.g. coloring the underside of her hair a darker color.

francois_1988
01-03-2011, 07:10 AM
I love the eyes... especially the colored one! :)

StoryTeller
02-21-2011, 01:56 AM
Sorry guys, I'm beginning to shy out from posting my stuff again recently ><. I'm still working at this image below for the past week and want to get some advise in colours mostly. I was thinking maybe the colour of the cape is too dark and maybe I should go for a sky blue. What do you think guys?

[IMAGE REMOVED]

StoryTeller
03-05-2011, 06:19 AM
I decided to redraw the character from "Ookami no Ou to Kitsune no Hime" since I feel that the previous drawing of her wasn't that good and didn't give that certain aura I wanted ^^'. I'm still trying to adjust some stuff a bit and hoping for some advise. I'm still learning... ><

[IMAGE REMOVED]

jaidurn
03-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Oh story, how I've missed your art.

Some things you might wanna watch are the legs. You tend to make them at an angle to the body. It's not that big of an angle, but it's still there. :3

Japxican
03-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Ooooo, I like! It looks good!

StoryTeller
03-05-2011, 10:51 PM
@jaidurn: I see what you mean... ><

@Japxican: thanks ^^

Sonny
03-06-2011, 12:36 AM
Just want to add on to jaidurn's post.

What I am going to suggest here are flow points. It goes from the upper hip flexors, around the inner knees, and back out to the rest of the shin.

I did a tutorial on the legs. Here's a picture of it:

http://www.2d-digital-art-guide.com/images/drawinglegs1.jpg

As you can see, the red lines are what I call flow points. The legs are not perfectly straight. The flow points act as positioning points based on the location of the leg muscles. Get this right and you will make it that much more convincing.

There are also flow points for the arms as well. Rather than straight down, it spirals inwards. While I don't want to spend to much time explaining it, the location of the tutorial itself is at:

http://www.2d-digital-art-guide.com/male-arm-drawing.html

Again, if you understand the flow points, everything else will fit together.

StoryTeller
03-06-2011, 08:55 PM
@Sonny: Thank you so much Sonny! I'll try using it when I get some free time ^-^

Slurpee
03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Your style is very similar to mine.
Wanna do an art trade?

StoryTeller
03-08-2011, 12:27 AM
@Slurpee: I'll think about it. I'm still learning and the stuff that I post mostly takes me within a week to draw (I'm pretty slow... ^^')

Celestial-Fox
03-09-2011, 02:44 AM
Hey, I don't think I've ever been in this thread before, but wow. I like your detailing, especially on the armor. I'd definitely like to see more from you. :)

Rio
03-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Yeah, what Seefy said! I can't believe I missed this thread. :3

@ Sonny
That's a neat way of looking at it. I'll have to remember that for future reference...

StoryTeller
03-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Thank you guys, I'm glad you like it. ^^

I'm still practicing with the legs with both genders though...

Here's one that I just drew this week. I couldn't decide what to let her wear so I went for a school girl uniform since it's easy to draw. She has her own story but it is still being worked on by me ^^'

Here's a male that I drew before I made the girl wolf knight. It was supposedly been the prince but it looks a bit old so I'm going to redraw the prince younger in my story.
[IMAGE REMOVED]

Rio
03-11-2011, 02:48 PM
^^^^^His armor looks flat. You should try adding more dimension like this:

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/5584/3031dc2.png

Mr_D
03-11-2011, 03:45 PM
If I may, I'd like to see a really dynamic pose from you ;D 'cause I see you already draw really well ^^

StoryTeller
03-16-2011, 09:06 PM
@rio: I'll try ^^

@Mr_D: Do you mean making the drawing look like it's doing something? Or does dynamic mean in perspective?

Mr_D
03-20-2011, 09:38 AM
More like it's doing something, with a lot of action involved or something ^^

StoryTeller
03-23-2011, 02:43 AM
@Mr_D: Is this the one you are talking about?
[IMAGE REMOVED]

Rio
03-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Yes! You can actually see that it's got substance. Will you be inking this piece? It's pretty good.

Mr_D
03-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Yeah, that's more like it! ;D You're awesome, hahah ^^ keep it up!

StoryTeller
03-27-2011, 03:59 AM
@rio: I'm not sure... I'm still not that confident.

@Mr_D: Thanks, getting support is always a good sign. ^^

I might not post anything for this week though... (really busy with schoolwork right now...^^')

StoryTeller
04-03-2011, 06:21 AM
The princess in the story called "The fox princess and the wolf king" (KitsuneNoHimeToOukamiNoOu) . I drew the wolf prince but he had too much details on his armor ^^' . I did manage to draw and colour the fox princess and want to get some advise on how to make the hair more gold in colour.
[IMAGE REMOVED]

Ozzaharwood
04-03-2011, 01:51 PM
I remember reading that story after researching kitsunes and yokai. I loved it, and this is a great adaptation of the princess.

StoryTeller
04-04-2011, 04:54 AM
@Ozzaharwood: I'm not sure if it's really an adaptation though (since I made it from scratch)... If it was, then it would be an adaptation from my other story called "A Rose Without Thorns". I had second thoughts of posting my stuff in the manga section since I'm still trying to get better...

Here is the wolf prince (still in the making though...)

[IMAGE REMOVED]

StoryTeller
04-10-2011, 05:55 AM
I managed to make the wolf prince younger but the results of the drawing didn't go as what I wanted it to be... (I do like the hair even without the ponytail though ^^)
[IMAGE REMOVED]

StoryTeller
04-15-2011, 04:52 AM
I will have more time to draw now since summer is coming up ^^.

[IMAGE REMOVED]

Matt
04-15-2011, 09:28 AM
That map looks like something straight out of the first page of a fantasy novel. Also, the girl in the top left of the last picture is pretty. Your sketches have a really nice look to them, and I really like how you draw armor.

StoryTeller
04-17-2011, 05:47 AM
@Matt: Thanks ^^ , The map is actually not finish yet since I want to add more landmasses. The top left girl is actually one of the characters I thought of making as the princess but decided to go with my second. I'm planning to make a chapter atleast of the story in the manga section but I'm not 100&#37; sure of it yet. I did say they were quick sketches but it actually took me an hour ^^' .

Here are some chibi sketches of the male characters in the story. The right is from Kitsunara (fox samurai) but the other two are from Wulferia (wolf prince,wolf bandit).

P.S. I'm going stop posting drawings for now since I'll be drawing the story with the time I have and to add some anticipation of the results (which I hope is a success... >< )

[IMAGE REMOVED]

StoryTeller
04-30-2011, 06:37 AM
Sorry guys... I couldn't make the first chapter of my story in the manga section (._.) . I was too overconfident that I forgot about things that I should have drawn before starting such as places. I think I need more time to practice so I'll be stuck here for now in the Critique corner.

[IMAGE REMOVED]

NWAP
04-30-2011, 11:21 AM
I think this has been touched on before but....SHOW US SOME ACTION PLS :O . With characters that are so well drawn, and have such detailed armor, I find it hard to watch them staring off into space or pointing at something ;A; . These guys are ready for battle! I understand these are probably just sketches for practice, but try drawing in different perspectives/poses. This will help you to figure out if your charaters outfit REALLY works or not, as your character bends and moves into different stances. Keep up the sweet work dude!

StoryTeller
05-02-2011, 12:59 AM
@NWAP: Action scenes are a little bit hard for me but I'll try since it's practice ... The story is actually a challenging thing for me since this is not normally what I would make. I just chose it since it has the most that I can learn from (map making, monster making, character making, costume making, background making) and has the most diversity from all the stories I've made. I actually like shoujo more so I might lean to making a simpler one instead. I will still keep this project alive though, some of my friends told me they want to read it when it's done but right now I think it's a bit too much ^^'... I'm actually trying my best not to reveal too much details but there are reasons for everything in it.

CypressDahlia
05-02-2011, 07:08 AM
I'm liking the style. It seems you've really refined how you draw faces. Anatomy is quite solid, too. With some dynamic poses and slightly improved line quality, you could be churning out some super stuff.

StoryTeller
05-03-2011, 04:34 AM
@CypressDahlia: thanks ^^ , it takes me a week at most to make those. My aim now though is to improve my speed at making them. With all the free time I have I think it's possible for me to make more than one drawing per week now.

Uhm... here's the request NWAP asked me to draw. I don't know if I should post it in the manga section though since it's a manga page yet it's not the first page... (sorry...) ^^'

P.S. how do you make those spoiler things?

[IMAGE REMOVED]

Gedeon
05-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Nice paneling Storyteller! I see some minor perspective problems in the second panel, involving his legs but no biggies!

butternut
05-03-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi, I know I haven't posted here before, but I keep checking out your stuff. Pretty awesome!
Anyway, the thing that bothers me is....in the top two panels, it looks like he's swinging his panel from his right to left. But finally it ends on his right. o.O might be just me, but....

StoryTeller
05-04-2011, 04:13 AM
Does is look like it's snowing in my page?

@Gedeon: Thanks ^.^ , I still need some improvements in my panelling though... The second panel was suppose to be a bird's-eye-viewish kinda shot of the character.

@saphira: Thanks saphira, I don't know about swinging much so I made the move up. It might have been hard to understand it but he releases grip of the axe with his right arm and uses his left arm to continue the blow (the right arm was just to put more power to the strike). He didn't get to strike the monster but I hope the reader can interpret what happens next with the hand gripping more firmly on his right though...

I'm currently drawing something different to that of my story right now.

StoryTeller
05-08-2011, 05:24 AM
My heart sank a bit when I learned that many others are having the same idea of foxes and wolves lately so I'll put the project on halt... I do have some unique ideas in mine but I guess I'll keep them hidden for now... >.<

On the other hand, I started 2 new stories which I find one simple and the other just enjoying to draw the characters. I've been hiding the faces of the males alot and showing too much of the females in my fox and wolf story so I'll be drawing more of the male gender this time.

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/horde360/CCF08052011_00000-1.jpg

StoryTeller
05-08-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm speeding up a bit in my drawing now (but only the hands on one ^^'). But I lack lineart and colouring skills so I'll be practicing those. I have one being made but it's not as good as I imagined it to be...

The sketches below is one of my new stories and I wanted to get some feedback whether or not it makes you wanna read it. It's a shoujo manga I made. =>

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/horde360/CCF08052011_00001.jpg

StoryTeller
05-11-2011, 07:19 AM
I'm finally finish making the demo cover...
http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/horde360/Finished-1.jpg

apples13
05-11-2011, 10:59 AM
be careful on the shoes, the heel of the shoe is not that thick it does not curve out that much. also the foot curves in on the inside so the right foot needs to be fixed.

StoryTeller
05-11-2011, 02:50 PM
@apples13: I think I understand a bit of what you mean but can you point out locations out for me through redline? (It's ok if you don't since I just wanted to get a better idea of what you mean by the shoes). Thanks apples13, I'm glad that someone is still giving me advise. ^^

StoryTeller
06-07-2011, 04:28 AM
Experimenting with colouring and backgrounds.

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/horde360/CCF06062011_00000.jpg

Mr_D
06-07-2011, 07:31 AM
The coloring isn't bad, but watch out not to give everything the same level of lightness or the drawing will look more flat. Also watch out when highlighting folds, it can make clothes look really weird. Nice job though ^^
btw I also really like the demo cover, looks really great :D

CypressDahlia
06-07-2011, 09:36 PM
When you shade, try not to simply use darker versions of the base color. Instead of using dark blue to shade blue, try purple or brown. Also, the folds look a little stiff, like they're being stretched extremely tightly. Remember to incorporate more than one type of fold into your clothing.

StoryTeller
06-08-2011, 12:28 AM
@Mr_D: I'll try to colour with more contrast for the next one then ^^.

@CypressDahlia: Can I ask what colour I can use for the shaded areas of a green uniform? I plan to take your advise with the next one I'll be making.

CypressDahlia
06-08-2011, 05:51 AM
That depends on a lot of things. As an artist, we have to pay attention to both absolute and relative color, as well as what looks best aesthetically. The first question I would ask is:

1.) What's the general color scheme of the work? To make a visually appealing and cohesive piece, you need to be aware of your palette. An image with well-balanced colors relates each of the separate colors somehow. A good example is Hyung Tae-Kim (http://victorica.hanyuu.net/image/e3df06a003623edc10c6daeb901895ef/Konachan.com&#37;20-%2062173%20cleavage%20hyung-tae_kim%20magna_carta.jpg)'s work, which typically uses off-white highlights and brown or gray shading. By making this consistent throughout the piece, all the elements create a more harmonious whole.

2.) What color is the atmosphere? Lighting and other atmospheric effects should have dominance over most things. This is called relative color. Depending on what mood you want to set, or what's going on around the character, colors might be entirely different than what we assume. A good example is sunset (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/128/353250218_404318ff36.jpg). Water is not typically red, nor are clouds typically orange or purple. We know water appears blue and clouds appear white. But, because of the light source (sun), they appear relatively orange.

3.) What colors are nearby? You also want to pay attention to what other colors are near the portion you're coloring. If there are large amounts of red surrounding the green uniform (say, a green shirt with red pants), then you want to shade with a gradient of brown->orange, because the green would reflect that light.

StoryTeller
06-22-2011, 04:04 AM
@CypressDahlia: Thanks Cypress, I might not be able to make the drawing yet though.

Here's my last drawing for now, just want to get some comments if the expressions on them give you the right idea of what's happening.

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/horde360/Chibi2.jpg

P.S. I'll leaving indefinitely for awhile for concerns of my health.

Leannah
09-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Wow sorry to hear that. You draw like a semi-professional it's crazy. You're level is right up there with some of the best artists on this forum