PDA

View Full Version : The Alcohol Thread

Delphinus
06-21-2011, 10:13 AM
What happened to this thread?

For discussion of the world's second most popular recreational drug. Personally, I like drinks that are bitter, dark, and complex, like me. I.E. whiskey and dark ale.

ram
06-21-2011, 10:34 AM
I like sweet juice or soft drinks..
I drink coffee and energy drinks....
if they have one drop of alcohol... then i would drink it as long as i don't taste it...
:cat_wahaha: lol i don't drink... just messing with ya

Rio
06-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Ugh, I can't the strong stuff anymore. My stomach gets really acidic and I feel like crap the next day if I'm not careful. : (

Speaking of alcohol, are there any other alcohol-related manga aside from Bartender, Drops of God (Kami no Shizuku) and Sommeliere?

Outcast
06-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Family history of alcoholism, addictive behaviors... nope not touching that shit.

butternut
06-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Me neither, at least not for a long time. Had a very bad episode of dehydration and stuff, got hospitalised and stuff, smelling it brings back all the bad memories.

Sylux
06-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Alcohol isn't all it's cracked up to be. I prefer marijuana, really...

jubeh
06-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Hey can I post in the cool kids thread you guys

Sylux
06-21-2011, 12:13 PM
It's just fermented junk that makes you feel horrible in the morning thereafter :(

Slurpee
06-21-2011, 12:40 PM
I stopped drinking after I almost burnt down my own house while drunk.
Don't do drugs kids.

CypressDahlia
06-21-2011, 02:40 PM
Seems like this has become an Alternatives to Alcohol Thread.

Evil_Cake
06-21-2011, 02:43 PM
i like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain

GunZet
06-21-2011, 02:47 PM
I like alcohol um....yea that's pretty much it. Beer is the only thing I won't touch (too often that is) because it's pretty horrible. Although I do like the occasional Smirnoff.

Delphinus
06-21-2011, 02:51 PM
^ the "I'll drink anything" guy?

GunZet
06-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Yeup.

indescribable
06-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Ew, alcohol.

pajamajam
06-21-2011, 08:54 PM
I love beer. Real beer I mean, not the Bud or Coors junk. I think I'm one of the few girls who feel that way though. I also love me some rum and whiskey.

violin
06-21-2011, 09:24 PM
There is nothing better than a nice cold European beer. I also like vodka, tequila, rakia, whiskey, wine...(everything I guess)
Unless I'm out with friends - I don't drink.

indescribable
06-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Unless I'm out with friends - I don't drink.

Peer pressure?

Slurpee
06-21-2011, 10:07 PM
The term they use in school is "social drinking"
pfft

violin
06-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Peer pressure?

I wouldn't call it pressure. It's just that it's not fun and reasonable to drink alone :)

indescribable
06-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Understandable. But does "out with friends" mean you wouldn't drink at say, a family gathering or with just one other person?

Ozzaharwood
06-21-2011, 10:35 PM
I drink occasionally; probably around once every one or two months. You may think it's not right, but my mom doesn't care... She'll actually offer it to me sometimes, but I think it's actually her trying to teaching me to discipline myself. TBH, it's not such a bad thing to drink, it's just drinking a lot in a small time frame that is bad (of course drinking a little bit each day every day is also bad, but you get my point). You drink to celebrate, any other reason to me is fairly stupid (there are a few exceptions), and make plans beforehand for whatever you need to do so you don't forget about anything and no one gets hurt. If you are smart and use it, not abuse it, then you are fine.

On the off chance that you go out to get super drunk for no reason, (which almost everyone does at least one time in their life) you should make plans beforehand. It can save you a lot of trouble and you will probably learn your lesson afterwards. Also, people always try to find cures for hangovers, but the real thing you should be doing is prevention of a hangover. You can easily prevent a hangover just by drinking water as you drink your alcohol. I don't know why people don't do this, and whenever I have a drink I do this, even if I drink a little, just to be safe.

It's best to just not get into it at all, because if you never try it you'll never become addicted or have to suffer the consequences.

violin
06-21-2011, 10:46 PM
@Ozzaharwood, drinkin once a month is more than fine :)

@indescribable, I would drink at a family gathering. I'll probably not drink with just one other person (well maybe one small drink or beer)

pajamajam
06-21-2011, 11:53 PM
I'll drink with one other person if that one other person is my best friend. Sometimes I'll have a beer by myself, and I've drank at family gatherings since I turned 21. Usually it's wine or a beer if it's a family dinner, but a couple of my aunts have been known to bring margarita fixings to family camping trips.

CypressDahlia
06-22-2011, 12:28 AM
I always wondered how alcohol became "the social drink".

jubeh
06-22-2011, 12:56 AM
Yeah I actually wonder that too.

Welp google time

Sylux
06-22-2011, 01:09 AM
Dunkelbier is pretty good, dunno about light beer though. It just doesn't taste right to me.

Psy
06-22-2011, 01:15 AM
I just don't see the point in drinking. Im old enough and all but it doesn't tempt me. I made a virgin daiquiriesque thing tonight and im satisfied with that. I have a cousin that is just all about blacking out and screaming on facebook the next day "fucking killer hangover but had a blast last night blacked out so you know some good shit went down".

Hayashida
06-22-2011, 01:17 AM
Stella Artois is good. That and Guinness are the only beers I really like though.

CypressDahlia
06-22-2011, 01:19 AM
It's a wonder how people could find joy in all of the //negative// effects of a beverage.

If Kool Aid made me black out and vomit, I would probably stop drinking it, except it actually tastes good so there would be a reason for me to drink it in the first place. I think alcohol is such a social thing that people have a bigger tolerance for all of the bad that comes out of it, whereas I'm sure any other drink with the same negative side effects would get tossed out immediately.

What is it about alcohol?

Psy
06-22-2011, 01:25 AM
Social anxiety disorder maybe. You supposedly relax with alcohol so you'd probably be able to talk freely without feeling you are being judged.

Outcast
06-22-2011, 01:25 AM
History?

Bacon_Barbarian
06-22-2011, 03:03 AM
@Ozzaharwood, drinkin once a month is more than fine :)

Drinking a glass of red wine once a day in fine too. It isn't how much your drink, it's the frequency.

indescribable
06-22-2011, 03:13 AM
It isn't how much your drink, it's the frequency.

Are you sure this wasn't meant to be the other way 'round? It seems to make a lot more sense to me that way.

jubeh
06-22-2011, 03:14 AM
Taylour how could you possibly doubt a child's observations of alcohol.

indescribable
06-22-2011, 03:15 AM
My mistake. -hangs head-

Sylux
06-22-2011, 03:50 AM
They both seem like portions of the same side of the coin to me.

Bacon_Barbarian
06-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Are you sure this wasn't meant to be the other way 'round? It seems to make a lot more sense to me that way.

Nah. It's better to have 3 beers over 3 days then it is to have them over the course of a few hours, no?

Sylux
06-22-2011, 09:41 AM
All depends on what you perceive as "better". :P

butternut
06-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Nope, it's definitely better to have 3 beers over three days than all at once. Once you have alcohol, it goes to different parts of the body via blood and is finally expelled out through sweat or urine. When the alcohol reaches the brain is when you get 'hit' or the 'buzz'. As you keep having more drinks, the alcohol reaches different parts of the brain in increasing quantities which would lead to loss of balance, black outs etc.

As for why it's a social drink: It makes you lose your inhibition and relaxes you, so people usually have it in parties, or other gatherings to reduce any awkwardness/shyness beween people meeting for the first time or something i guess. Well this is just my guess and it makes sense so..

indescribable
06-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Nah. It's better to have 3 beers over 3 days then it is to have them over the course of a few hours, no?

That's actually what I was trying to say. I guess I just misunderstood what you meant by "it".

Hayashida
06-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Let's be honest though, you have to be a huge lightweight for three beers to get you pissed.

pajamajam
06-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Especially over the course of a few hours instead of drinking them all at once.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
06-22-2011, 02:43 PM
It's a wonder how people could find joy in all of the //negative// effects of a beverage.

If Kool Aid made me black out and vomit, I would probably stop drinking it, except it actually tastes good so there would be a reason for me to drink it in the first place. I think alcohol is such a social thing that people have a bigger tolerance for all of the bad that comes out of it, whereas I'm sure any other drink with the same negative side effects would get tossed out immediately.

What is it about alcohol?

If Kool Aid made ya black out and vomit, then I'd cut down on how much Kool Aid ya drink. Problem solved. There are many brands of beer that taste fantastic compared to Kool Aid also, in my opinion, but there are a few shit ones mainly American and English beers. If a drink had all the negative effects of alcohol but none of the positives, I dont think many people would drink it. You get drunk, ya get happy, your inhabitions are lowered so you can talk about more indepth shit with your friends and maybe have to balls to ask out that hot brunette from work who you've had your eye on for 6 months now, at the office christmas party.

But ofcourse, there are drawbacks. Some people get violent when they drink with anyone who meets their line of vision. These people are called drunken assholes. Not much you can do about them, especially if their bigger than you, so just try to avoid them.

So in summary, alcohol makes some people violent, but most happy and up for a laugh, it tastes very good if you expand your horizons in regards to what ya drink and if ya get sick and ill from drinking too much...next time dont drink as much.

GunZet
06-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Always make sure to have your tazer with you in the drunken asshole situation.

CypressDahlia
06-22-2011, 03:00 PM
What I meant is: How come getting drunk, vomiting and blacking out is considered "fun" and "wild" in relation to alcohol, whereas it's a generally undesirable effect when it comes to other things? And, TBH, the "good" you describe is really just a crappy way of dealing with personal insecurities. It's something that can be resolved through other means than alcohol. There is definitely something that makes alcohol so 'special' that people love it so much.

IMO, it's like the biggest and longest lasting bandwagon effect ever and it's so prevalent that it became a social norm.

GunZet
06-22-2011, 03:08 PM
See, I've never drank myself to the point of vomiting/blacking out so I wouldn't know. Alcohol to me just tastes good, and when I'm really feeling weak it just lets me sit back and chill dizzy on the couch or something. It's only as bad as you make it, so know when to stop? lol.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
06-22-2011, 03:42 PM
What I meant is: How come getting drunk, vomiting and blacking out is considered "fun" and "wild" in relation to alcohol, whereas it's a generally undesirable effect when it comes to other things? And, TBH, the "good" you describe is really just a crappy way of dealing with personal insecurities. It's something that can be resolved through other means than alcohol. There is definitely something that makes alcohol so 'special' that people love it so much.

IMO, it's like the biggest and longest lasting bandwagon effect ever and it's so prevalent that it became a social norm.

I don't think anyone ever has considered vomiting and blacking out as fun. I think what you're getting it is that many people who go out and drink alot on a friday and saturday night seem to measure how good a night they have had by how badly it fucks them up. For instance, if you were vomiting everywhere and passed out, you may wake up the next day and think, 'I had an awesome night, i have vomit in my hair, i lost my wallet and got the shit kicked out of me by two bouncers. Go me.' If that is what you're getting that, then I agree that is a stupid mentality that unfortunatly too many people share. Although I would rather hear about that guys drunken night out than hear about the night of someone else who stayed in and did a crossword. More interesting story, ya know.

And yeah, wasn't being serious about the talking to hot girls being a postivie for getting drunk. If you have to be drunk to talk to women then you're kinda pathetic, imo. The main postive of being drunk is that its a social excepted method in which people can loosen up and have fun. Everything is more fun when you're drunk, from reading a book to bungee jumping. Try it, Cyp, ya might enjoy it ;)

toast
06-22-2011, 03:46 PM
my dream is for like, every night, to have a glass of red wine and expensive cheese and sit on a porch contemplating life. my dad does that and he looks cool as hell when he does.

I'm probably going to drink alcohol when I'm older, definitely red wine because of the heart benefits and just because it classy lol. Also, the occasional beer or whiskey with your food because that's just basically a tradition in my family for adults :P My family finds it weird whenever people take shots of drinks without eating anything with it.

As for getting horribly drunk and shit, uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh no. If I'm surrounded by people who think that getting drunk is the only way to make the night fun, I'm automatically out. That's a retarded ideology that I don't want to get used to.

CypressDahlia
06-22-2011, 04:10 PM
I drink on occasion but the taste turns me off, so I'm usually the guy sipping a juice pouch at the party. you'd be surprised how effective an ice breaker that is.

indescribable
06-22-2011, 06:58 PM
In my opinion, any possible benefits to me regarding alcohol are greatly outweighed by the downsides. I'm not really a fan of juice pouches though either, so I'll stick with tea or soda. Or milk. Milk is good.

Sylux
06-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Water is the very best. B)

indescribable
06-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Meh. Water's cool for living and exercise and stuff, but I wouldn't really consider it a recreational drink.

butternut
06-22-2011, 11:14 PM
It's not fun getting drunk every weekend or anything. It's awesome when you do it once in like 5-6 months or so, that too with sensible people around to take care when things get out of hand. I'll agree with gunz on knowing when to stop.

I haven't had a single hang over till now, maybe slept through it, lol. So can't really say much about the immediate downside of it.

Slurpee
06-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Yeah if you get drunk make sure you do it with someone you know.
Or else you'll end up with a different pair of clothes on not knowing how it happened.
Yeah. Not fun :L

Sylux
06-23-2011, 11:12 AM
It's cool to get drunk and play Sonic 2k6

GunZet
06-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Get drunk and play GTA. You'll have fun.

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
06-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Nah, man, get stoned and watch Pink Floyds 'The Wall'. You'll thank me later.

Evil_Cake
06-25-2011, 11:43 AM
heheheh

butternut
06-25-2011, 11:07 PM
heheheh

you sound like you took Harvester's advice.

Sylux
06-26-2011, 02:54 AM
Why would anyone take advice from HoS I mean it's not like he's one of the most worldly guys here @_@

Evil_Cake
06-26-2011, 02:59 AM
you sound like you took Harvester's advice.

no way I'd do something like that are u crazy

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
06-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Why would anyone take advice from HoS I mean it's not like he's one of the most worldly guys here @_@

;)

Sylux
06-27-2011, 01:08 PM
I went to a Def Leppard concert with my parents and ended up driving them home smashed. Not me smashed, them smashed. Weird shit seeing your Conservative parents out of their minds.

Aether
07-17-2011, 04:21 AM
What happened to this thread?

For discussion of the world's second most popular recreational drug. Personally, I like drinks that are bitter, dark, and complex, like me. I.E. whiskey and dark ale.

It died after a whole bunch of mental midgets came in and ruined it because they wanted to be included, but then I was like, "no way this thread is only for cool kids". They've likely ruined this one too.
Only 12-year-old girls drink to get drunk. I drink for taste. *shades*

Delphinus
07-17-2011, 07:51 AM
It died after a whole bunch of mental midgets came in and ruined it because they wanted to be included, but then I was like, "no way this thread is only for cool kids". They've likely ruined this one too.

All true.

Renzokuken
07-17-2011, 03:46 PM
The last time I went to a party with drinking we filled a punch bowl full of mixed alcohol and... let's say the evening could've ended cleaner.

violin
07-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Yeah don't mix alcohol - it's a bad picture after that :D

Harvester_Of_Sorrow
07-20-2011, 08:41 PM

Hmm. I like the taste of orange juice, but I won't drink 12 pints of the stuff on a saturday night. I drink because it is a distraction from my normal daily routine of bottling old peoples farts at bus stops and sniffing their contents when I get lonely/horny/hungry/tired etc.

Aether
07-21-2011, 01:11 AM
Hmm. I like the taste of orange juice, but I won't drink 12 pints of the stuff on a saturday night. I drink because it is a distraction from my normal daily routine of bottling old peoples farts at bus stops and sniffing their contents when I get lonely/horny/hungry/tired etc.

Hell yeah dude. :cool:

Lucy
07-23-2011, 12:27 AM
I don't normally drink. It's been proven I can hold my alcohol rather well because of my gargantuan stature. It's an asset, in my opinion; I sometimes cause drunks to quieten by challenging their already booze-addled bodies to a drinking contest. Largely this involves 1-3 double rums, a passed out fellow and a mildly tipsy Lucy, at worst (or I quit while I'm ahead if it's not worked by then, knowing when to cut your losses is an asset too). But on the whole I don't like alcoholic drinks - I don't like the taste of any alcoholic drinks over common soft drinks, and I don't see the appeal of getting drunk, so barring when drinking out of politeness or when using it to my advantage, I don't drink. On the other hand, I have never been properly drunk, only tipsy at worst, so I don't know the pleasure. Maybe I will try it someday.

violin
07-23-2011, 12:46 AM
I like the taste of most alchoholic drink. And I get drunk very easy. :D

Delphinus
07-23-2011, 06:14 PM
I get drunk easily if I drink quite a lot at once, but if I stretch it out over the course of an evening it doesn't accumulate like it would with most people.

Fast metabolism, I guess.

Black_Shaggie
07-24-2011, 08:43 PM
I started drinking while in the Navy. At first, it was just beer. Then I grauated to mixed drinks, which I found too sweet. Then I got my masters in whiskey. By the time I got out of the Navy, I was ordering double shots of Jack Daniels & drinking no less than 4 Heinkens after that. It made me really stupid & extermely viloent...which is no good for me because I've practiced several forms of martial arts & can effectively apply them for self defense. I tried to stick to just marijuana, but that stuff truly is the Assassin of Youth because you won't jack shit done in a timely manner while high.

Now I just drink wine with my meals. Pinot Noir or a really good Merlot. They give me about the same buzz as a joint & I can still do stuff without trying to open up a can of whoop ass.