It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The black mage's workspace, materials, and resources
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:46 pm 
Devilish-Fan

Location: I have a hair trigger, black magic, and a short fuse; so bring it.
GunZet wrote:
I dunno man, if I had all that industry standard stuff. I'd be expecting to damn well get my chance IN the industry shiii7.
Depends on what you want to get into though. Concept Art is my gig, so having a billion books makes so sense to me, seeing as though details in that kind of art are brought about from life details and pure imagination...I don't know, what is it you're trying to do?

My two worlds are visual developer and classical illustrator (basically illustrator, classical makes it sounds fancy lol). Even as a concept artist you should have alot of books (not on drawing per-say), but you aren't just going to draw stuff you have to do tons of research before you start drawing to make sure what you are drawing is accurate in one way or another. Even if you don't see a need to have the books, what harm does it do to have the books?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:50 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

I think what Ego was trying to say is that you don't need to dish out 2k for books. Books can definitely be helpful, but after a certain point, all books are the same and can't give the same amount of help that going out and actually drawing from life can. The main point of the opposing argument is that the sacrifice:payoff ratio isn't very good with those insanely expensive books.

Does that make sense?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:00 pm 
Super-Fan

Drinking: guiness... all the time.
Playing: CS:S
Well that makes sense seefy, but it comes down to what kind of artist you are. Are you natural, or a taught artist? A natural artist already understands the concepts and ideas of theory, the books just put names to the concepts. If that makes sense. I'm a natural artist, i've figured something out by myself and then later down the road someone else puts a name to it.. all I'm saying is that it IS possible to put theories and techniques into practice without ever being taught them. How do you think I'm really good at shading? (don't wanna brag, sorry just an example) It intuitively has been given to me without ever had to of been taught it. Now you take that natural "talent" and of course refine it with teachings and what not. But essentially, not everyone needs books, some people teach themselves. And honestly if you discover it on your own, your chances of mastering it are much much greater. I mean how was I able to do a line portrait of my father when I was only 7 or 8, and it actually look like him? By this I mean how did I do it without being taught? How did i see the shadows and the lines without reading about it in a book? You should use teh books as a boost, true, but find your own true intuition.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:31 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

Location: Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
Reading: Priest
Blackmage wrote:
GunZet wrote:
I dunno man, if I had all that industry standard stuff. I'd be expecting to damn well get my chance IN the industry shiii7.
Depends on what you want to get into though. Concept Art is my gig, so having a billion books makes so sense to me, seeing as though details in that kind of art are brought about from life details and pure imagination...I don't know, what is it you're trying to do?

My two worlds are visual developer and classical illustrator (basically illustrator, classical makes it sounds fancy lol). Even as a concept artist you should have alot of books (not on drawing per-say), but you aren't just going to draw stuff you have to do tons of research before you start drawing to make sure what you are drawing is accurate in one way or another. Even if you don't see a need to have the books, what harm does it do to have the books?

I usually don't bother at all with books. Waste of my money since I can find out anything I need to on the internet, not to mention I research on the fly anyway.
But I agree a bit there. Although I'm also with Ego too...I'm self-taught also, not to say art classes haven't helped...They've just helped me learn the basics of new things. And having that magic eye for things helps too >_> <_<

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:35 pm 
Devilish-Fan

You do understand that there is a belief that everyone can draw, we are all just at different levels. I didn't believe this saying at first but in the mindset of my life right now I do believe it. Being a naturalist doesn't give you no better chance at mastering something then being someone who is taught, vincent van gogh is really one of many who can prove that false since in the beginning he had no natural ability at drawing, he just worked at it. The bottom line is, you get out of art what you put into it. Anyone can see a shadow, on a body, its attention of detail that makes you notice things. Everyone draws different I worked my as off to get to where I am now, and continuing to do that, how? I studied the works of others that came before me. When I just went out and drew, I got disappointed to the point I wanted to give it up, but instead I found people and learned from them. I hasd people critique my work, and I studied from them, taking books that explained anatomy, proportion, measurements, scales, and applying it to works already made to learn how it was created, and ultimate doing it now to make work I don't feel is just a piece of shit. Ultimately its just we all learn differently, and art is no different in that fact.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:39 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

Nah being a natural doesn't give you better chances. It just makes learning easier.

[off topic, off thread]
Look at Anakin, that foo straight natural. But he ain't do SHI7!, naw man, that foo Obi came up and was like, yo mang. Imma show you how to swing yo saber son...and he learned faster yo.[/off topic, off thread]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:43 pm 
Devilish-Fan

GunZet wrote:
Blackmage wrote:
GunZet wrote:

I usually don't bother at all with books. Waste of my money since I can find out anything I need to on the internet, not to mention I research on the fly anyway.
But I agree a bit there. Although I'm also with Ego too...I'm self-taught also, not to say art classes haven't helped...They've just helped me learn the basics of new things. And having that magic eye for things helps too >_> <_<

I've come to find out everything is not on the internet and that is just the plane truth of it like the famous artist series, you won't find no pdf or scan of it on the internet, and colleges around the world tend to teach out of these books themselves. Also, on the fly? You mean just google or actually going out and reading books on the subject? From my understanding as both a concept artist and a visual developer, the internet is suppose to be the very last resource we use as research. That is another habit I have been trying to break personally.

orf topic;
I am so damn mad, it has been sprinkling all day, and when it finally stops, I headed out to do some on site drawing, just for the wind to start blowing badly with the signs of a thunderstorm was approaching.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:52 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

By on the fly, I mean exactly that. I often have a clear idea of what I want to draw, unless I'm under direction or given initial concepts to work from. So if I need to look up a couple of types of belts, or a bit of anatomy...anything, it's always there, never fails. So some may see it as the last resource. I see it as a prime next to what I already know. I never use books...I find them boring xD.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:57 pm 
Super-Fan

Drinking: guiness... all the time.
Playing: CS:S
well.. mage.. i understand what you've said and agree with a lot of it. Art is one of those things that changes on an individualistic basis. Just gotta find your groove.. that's pretty much all I'm sayiing.. and that i personally learn from life rather than resources.. unless I have something specific in mind like Gunz is talking about, then reference's here I come! lol.. anyway.. nice chatting with you guys, but now I got some business to take care of >.<

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:57 pm 
Devilish-Fan

GunZet wrote:
By on the fly, I mean exactly that. I often have a clear idea of what I want to draw, unless I'm under direction or given initial concepts to work from. So if I need to look up a couple of types of belts, or a bit of anatomy...anything, it's always there, never fails. So some may see it as the last resource. I see it as a prime next to what I already know. I never use books...I find them boring xD.

Who doesn't but they are easily a more trusting source then the internet can be really. But that doesn't matter right now anyways. I was actually trying to bring this whole conversation to a neutral ground. Anyways, I need to draw something, time is wasting away and I haven't done one drawing today >.>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:00 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

Then fking draw man. Time doesn't wait up! *taps his watch*...oh where's that pic of the cousin or whatever, forgot to post?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:14 pm 
Devilish-Fan

GunZet wrote:
Then fking draw man. Time doesn't wait up! *taps his watch*...oh where's that pic of the cousin or whatever, forgot to post?

shesh fine I'll post it, I still havent finished it though.

While I am contempt with it some, I may redraw it, but I hate drawing from picture which is mostly what I did with this since she was helping with thanks giving dinner and not standing still, her hair is the biggest problem.

Also I did start, but the damn whether made me stop I was drawing a med level perspective picture. I took a picture of the area before I left, but it doesn't feel the same. As actually being there for me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:52 pm 
Devilish-Fan

I actually got some architectural sketches down two days ago, yay!

Post subject: Re: The black mage's Illustration sketch; At Sea
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:52 pm 
Devilish-Fan

I just realized that there are 2 mt sites XD well heres a new illustration sketch I am working on, on 11 by 17 paper.

Post subject: Re: The black mage's first time in indesign: breaking news.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:54 pm 
Devilish-Fan

I am the black mage!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next