It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: In this thread, Gaff posts stuff and asks you to hate it
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:41 am 
Naughty-Fan

nice stuff - I like the faces ^^

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:56 am 
Normal-Fan

TheWarden & Renaxjpop: Thanks guys. I'm trying to pin down the way I do faces at the moment so they'll be more consistent, so hopefully I'll be doing them the same way for the foreseeable future.

Sunny: Yeah, selecting good colour palettes has never been my strong point, so probably building up more reference materials is the way to go for now.

Most recent effort:

I haven't managed to get back into SAI as yet, but I did manage to keep away from the overlay effect. Not so sure how I feel about the hair at the moment. I could probably have defined the different sections more, but I got it this far and had an attack of "doing any more would ruin it".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:24 pm 
Mega-Fan

Listening To: Black Velvet
Hmm, I like your colouring but it looks like you need to focus more on proportions; her head should go back more, not up so much. If that makes sense?

Anyway, THOSE LIPS. Gorge. They look so velvety soft :3

- Asexual people don't give a fuck -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:11 am 
Normal-Fan

I like her eyes, her head looks a bit pointy though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:36 pm 
Normal-Fan

Looking at it now, I think I've probably gone wrong when I was drawing in her hair. I was trying to puff it up a bit around her crown and I think that's probably what's distorted the shape of her head.... I'll have another stab it when I get a chance. Thanks both :)

Anyway, something a little different this time. Should anyone wish to witness my scatty working methods firsthand, now's the chance!

Your Anime Drawing Sucks - Space Adventure Cobra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:17 pm 
One-Lucky-Fan

I have a problem with your stuffs. I like them, but at the same time I don't like them (yeah is a problem of my head).

I like the style you have, is kinda old anime style of the times of G Force. But at the same time I end disconnected with some stuffs that would be mistakes, but in the style are ok (so I don't know were to catch the critic here).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:53 pm 
Normal-Fan

Well, I appreciate your honesty anyway. I'm still making a lot of mistakes, particularly with anatomy, but I do try to address them whenever possible.

Stylistically, while I don't set out to intentionally draw in an older style, I do watch a lot of older series and yeah, I dare say they would influence me a lot :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:19 pm 
One-Lucky-Fan

Yeah is pretty obvious the influence of the old series and I found that cool (way better than homogeneous characters that look the same all the time).

But for example one of my deals would be with your last work, where the nose is too up and small and the ear is too low. If I do a guide line in the face I can see how the nose and ear are not in the position they should.

Regardles this, in this old style that was pretty normal, I still have memories of some of these old series where this same kind of image had this same problems. So talking about if is a real problem or just a stylistic desition is quiet complex.

But taking another draw that would really have a real problem would be for example the first oen of the first page, where the head is a little bigger or the work number 8 of the first page, where you can see a perfil of the girl, and you can see that the face look like an arrow (the front head and the chin are not very prominent but the nose it is).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:44 pm 
Normal-Fan

Error 404 wrote:
where you can see a perfil of the girl, and you can see that the face look like an arrow (the front head and the chin are not very prominent but the nose it is).

To be honest, I think I'll probably scrap that one altogether - the more I look at that profile drawing, the less happy with it I am.

Anyway, based on what people have recommended, I've reworked that last one a bit to try and sort out the shape of her head. Still to redo the colours and the outline for her hair, but I think it's looking a bit better already (the faint brown being where the outline was before).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:32 pm 
Normal-Fan

Ended up redoing the hair from scratch; now hopefully less pointy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:06 pm 
Lucky-Fan

the hair looks a bajillion times better so awesome job. Also the proportions look pretty good for the most part.

I suggest working on ears some more (yeah I hate drawing ears, because the insides usually confuse me Dx but I force myself to anyway...!)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:52 pm 
Normal-Fan

Thank you. I did have quite a lot of bother with her ear, so yeah... I'll probably need to have another go at it.

In the meantime, another sketch. I made a joke the other day about what my ideal anime series would most likely involve and this piece of conceptual nonsense was the result. I'm thinking I should redo the plate on his abdomen - it would probably make more sense to have that above the belt round his waist.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:44 pm 
Mega-Fan

Listening To: Black Velvet
He looks a bit tubby, with that midsection. Also, the head and shouldrs seem fine on thier own, but then everything seems to get larger as you go down the body. His feet are bigger than his head! If he's a war-like fighting character, his arms seem to be lacking a bit of muscle, too. The general shape is very good though, and his head is awesome (I cannot draw men for the life of me D:).

- Asexual people don't give a fuck -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:49 pm 
Normal-Fan

Funnily enough, 'gets larger as it goes further down' is a mistake I used to make a lot in the past. 'Serves me right for not looking at some references before I started really. My amateurish attempts at inventing armour haven't helped much either - the lower chestplate does make him look like he's got a bit of a gut. Hey ho, time to find some photos...

Edit: Think that's a bit better now, although his left shoulder plate does seem to be larger than the right.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2