It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Drawing Software
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:57 pm 
Normal-Fan

I currently use photoshop elements for digital pictures ad it isn't ideal because it's really for photo editing.
Anyone have any idea for a good piece of software than is not ridiculously expensive that I can use on a mac.

And I don't want to get anything illegal of t'internet.

Post subject: Re: Drawing Software
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:48 pm 
Three-Fan

Sai's good. It a very easy to use program that costs about 50 bucks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:51 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

UmbertheKid wrote:
Sai's good. It a very easy to use program that costs about 50 bucks.

D8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:03 pm 
Three-Fan

What's wrong with that? D:

Also I'm not so sure that Sai works with Mac but I may be wrong there

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:16 pm 
Normal-Fan

SAI doesn't work on macs D:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:49 pm 
Three-Fan

I'm using Gimp. But I don't like it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:32 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

YOU ALL KNEW THIS WAS COMING:

Spoilered for SIZE.
Spoiler! :
*Freeware
    The most popular freeware CG program is called [GIMP]. It is the most similar free program to Photoshop.

[openCanvas 1] is a freeware application that is so small in file size that you can send the program over and instant messaging system! This won't bog up your hard drive like Photoshop and Painter will. oC1 is great because it features a live collaboration system that operates much like a paintchat or a groupboard. This program was taken off of Portal Graphics' main site, but is free to share.

[ArtRage] is a program that has a free edition and a commercial retail edition. It is most similar to Corel Painter, which uses real media brush simulation to imitate traditional art in digital format. Brush settings include, glitter, marker, oil, chalk, airbrush, and more. It supports layers and Photoshop Document (PSD file extension) importing and exporting. To see a comparison of the free and full editions of ArtRage, click [here].

Another program that is relatively similar to ArtRage is [Artweaver]. Artweaver features many of the same brush settings as ArtRage, but it doesn’t support PSD exporting, layers, or layer blending modes. However, this program is plug-in expandable, meaning that you can enhance and add features to the stock program settings via download. Artweaver also has editable text layers and a small selection of layer filters. Another great feature of this program is multi-language support, which allows users from across the world to easily access and utilize this program with ease.

[Inkscape] is a program different than all of the other ones presented earlier because of the fact that it’s a vector graphics editor, similar to Adobe Flash. Vector graphics are different than bitmap graphics in the sense that no matter how many times resize the image, the image quality will never skew or diminish. These type of graphics are ideal for commercial use, for example, signs, logos, business cards, and apparel design. This program also features a great Potrace feature which turns standard bitmap (also interchangeably called raster) images into resizable SVGs (Standard Vector Graphics).

[Paint.NET] is a free image and photo editing program that allows you to draw on blank canvas or edit photos to perfection. It is often compared t Adobe Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. Its features include many tools: Bezier curves, gradients, text editing, layers, and filters--some of which Photoshop doesn’t have.

[Pixia] is a program that supports German, English, and Japanese, Chinese, French, and other language interfaces. Though PC Magazine stated that the interface can sometimes become “overwhelmingly complex,” they also stated that “Pixia's help system (a separate download) does a decent job of clearing things up.” The help system is available through the previously linked main site. The program features layer compatibility, filters, color/brightness adjustment, cropping, and image rotation. PC Magazine also stated, “The more time you put in with Pixia, the more you'll be rewarded by the creative power coiled inside the program's technical approach to digital imaging,” so persistence is key.

*Retail
    The most notorious program to use for computer graphics is [Adobe Photoshop]. I warn you: This is NOT a cheap program. You could download it for free, but many sites will give you trojan horses, not to mention the fact that it's illegal. If you're uncomfortable with downloading Photoshop for free, try looking at [eBay] to find some great deals on the program.

[Corel Painter] is designed with the traditional artist in mind, offering dozens of brushes, tools, and media such as pastels, oil paint, and palette brushes. It features a unique color wheel and color mixing palette to get the right tones. Though still expensive, Painter is a cheaper alternative to Photoshop, and many professional artists prefer to use the two programs hand-in-hand.

[Manga Studio] is a program directed toward the manga artist that includes over 1,800 screentones. However, be careful to note that Manga Studio is not particularly aimed for the color artist; the software was designed for the black-and-white mangaka.

[Paint Tool SAI] is a cheap, lightweight painting application that was originally scripted in the Japanese language. SAI is a very effective lineart program, but also can create stunning color images. Many brush settings are available, and the interface features a color mixing palette.

*Browser-based
    Oekaki Shi Painter is a browser-based oekaki applet supported by Java that features an unlimited layer system. Save you in-progress work online on an oekaki board or escrow, finish it up later, then post in on the oekaki board for the world to see and comment on.

Another similar applet is Paint BBS, which only allows accommodations for two layers, but can be used to create stunning pixel art or meticulous realistic art--whichever fits your fancy.

The last browser-based oekaki applet is called Lascaux (pronounced La - sko). This is the most similar to Photoshop and features text input using your system's fonts, layers, opacity/flow toggling, brush types, and marquee tools.

To access any of these browser-based programs, head on over to [2Draw.net], make yourself an account, and get going on any of these great programs!

There is another site called [Aviary] that is simply fantastic. Edit photos, draw and digitally paint, create and analyze color schemes, create fully resizeable vector images, and create filter effects all on one, easy-to-navigate site.

Last edited by Celestial-Fox on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:48 pm 
Super-Fan

Drinking: guiness... all the time.
Playing: CS:S
@.@ Photoshop is all you need. You just have to understand the program, agreed it is pricey, but it's worth the price. Not to mention if you get one of the adobe packages, you can do SO much with it, i.e. animations, 3-d designs, web-design, even phone application designs... don't let it scare you off just because of the multitude of tools and aspects that it has along with it. It's like starting in a new medium, you're not going to be great at it at first, it takes practice and hard work....

Now if price is the issue, definately take some tips from Celestial Fox...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:22 pm 
New-Fan

Listening To: Classical Ballet Music
Reading: "Swan" (manga)
Eating: Rose-flavored Turkish delight
Drinking: Black Tea
Playing: Just say -no- to heavy gaming! Get off your ass!
GIMP is my favorite. I was originally educated in Photoshop, so GIMP was easy to pick up and understand. Plus, quite a few Photoshop tutorials can translate over into GIMP. But finding GIMP tutorials isn't much of a problem either. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:59 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

And there is always this [crazy Wikipedia chart] if you'd like to see more.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:47 pm 
Founder

Btw, here's a link to the Mac version of GIMP.

Btw, if you're a student, you can get a version of Photoshop for a cheaper price. Once you have a version of Photoshop, you don't really need to upgrade anymore.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:38 pm 
Normal-Fan

Thanks for all the info, guys. I'll take a look at the links

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:58 pm 
One-Lucky-Fan

Man, I hate GIMP.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:16 pm 
Obsessed-Fan

Location: Preparing the laser beam, we're gonna use it tonight.
Reading: Priest
once you go Photoshop you never go GIMP

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:46 pm 
Super-Fan

Drinking: guiness... all the time.
Playing: CS:S
GunZet wrote:
once you go Photoshop you never go GIMP

so true >.<

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next